Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

A little unnerved when I see people doing landscaping stuff for our house standing around and talking to each other within a foot or two and going all around our back and front yard without masks.  Not sure it's a problem for us, but a bit worrying for them.  

Edited by visionary
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, visionary said:

A little unnerved when I see people doing landscaping stuff for our house standing around and talking to each other within a foot or two and going all around our back and front yard without masks.  Not sure it's a problem for us, but a bit worrying for them.  

Neighbor of mines having some landscaping done in downtown Greensboro. Dudes have been working for the past 3 months no masks. Walking in and out of local restaurants for food pickup. Standing out in the street jabber jawing. They clearly don't give a ****. 

Confirmed coronavirus cases are rising in 40 of 50 states

With the number of daily confirmed coronavirus cases nationwide climbing past 50,000, an alarming 36 states saw an increase in the percentage of tests coming back positive for the virus.

“What we’ve seen is a very disturbing week,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, the government’s top infectious-disease expert, said in a livestream with the American Medical Association.

In a major retreat that illustrated how dire things have become in Texas, Republican Gov. Greg Abbott ordered the wearing of masks across most of the state after refusing until recently to let even local governments impose such rules.

The surge has been blamed in part on Americans not covering their faces or following other social distancing rules as states lifted their lockdowns over the past few weeks. Fauci warned that if people don’t start complying, “we’re going to be in some serious difficulty.”

The U.S. recorded 51,200 new confirmed cases Wednesday, according to a tally kept by Johns Hopkins University. That represents a doubling of the daily total over the past month and is higher even than what the country witnessed during the most lethal phase of the crisis in April and May, when the New York metropolitan area was easily the worst hot spot in the U.S.

All but 10 states are showing an upswing in newly reported cases over the past 14 days, according to data compiled by the volunteer COVID Tracking Project. 

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

Experts fear July 4 weekend will exacerbate coronavirus spread

Experts worry that the COVID-19 pandemic in the U.S. will worsen after the Fourth of July weekend, when millions of people gather across the country during one of the busiest travel periods of the year.

Memorial Day weekend — when people flocked to beaches, pools, parties, restaurants and bars after a weeks-long lockdown — helped spur many of the outbreaks the U.S. is seeing across parts of the country. 

But now the stakes are even higher.

The U.S. is reporting record-high daily case counts, driven largely by outbreaks in the South and West. Several states are experiencing more severe outbreaks than they saw two months ago.

“I am very concerned, especially given this coming weekend, that the same types of spikes, the same types of surges could be seen not just in the places that are currently experiencing surges, but in places that have already experienced surges, and in ones that haven't yet,” said Joshua Barocas, assistant professor of medicine at the Boston University School of Medicine.

The U.S. is averaging 40,000 new cases a day, exceeding the numbers seen in May. This is partially because of increased testing, but the percentage of tests coming back positive is also going up, an indicator of a growing outbreak. 

While more than 50 percent of new COVID-19 infections in the U.S. are recorded in four states, Texas, California, Arizona and Florida, dozens of other states are also seeing increases both in cases and the percentage of tests coming back positive.

“My biggest concern with the Fourth of July is that in Arkansas, we have more than three times as many active cases now as we did in Memorial Day weekend,” said Nate Smith, secretary of health at the Arkansas Department of Health. 

“The same activities are going to be associated with a higher risk of acquiring COVID-19, so we need to be more vigilant this time than we were Memorial Day,”  Smith said.

Berea ice cream shop: Stop yelling at our teenage employees about masks

BEREA, Ohio (WJW)– An ice cream shop in Berea has a message for people who yell at employees: Respect them or go somewhere else.

Mootown Creamery posted on its Facebook page Tuesday morning about customers mistreating workers, who are mostly teenage girls, for wearing state-required masks during the coronavirus pandemic. The owner made the decision to also require guests to wear masks while in the store, saying it’s for the protection of employees and customers.

“Do you know how hard it is to work a summer rush in a face mask? With a line of customers to the door, some waiting outside, online orders dinging on a tablet, the phone ringing off the hook — and then have a customer throw a temper tantrum in the store calling the girls ‘paranoid’ or ‘anti-American’ or even worse – CUSS AT THEM! (Does it feel good to make a 16 year old girl cry in the bathroom? Or sob on her way home from work? Does that make you feel better about Covid? How would you feel if someone did this to your child?)” Mootown Creamery wrote.

The Ohio Department of Health issued mandatory protocols for restaurants when they were allowed to open for outdoor service on May 15 and indoor service on May 21. Businesses must require all employees to wear facial coverings, with a limited list of exceptions.

Click on the link for more

• Like 5

Official U.S. coronavirus death toll is ‘a substantial undercount’ of actual tally, Yale study finds

The number of confirmed U.S. deaths due to the coronavirus is substantially lower than the true tally, according to a study published Wednesday in JAMA Internal Medicine.

Using National Center for Health Statistics data, researchers at Yale University compared the number of excess U.S. deaths from any causes with the reported number of weekly U.S. Covid-19 deaths from March 1 through May 30. The numbers were then compared with deaths from the same period in previous years. 

Researchers found that the excess number of deaths over normal levels also exceeded those attributed to Covid-19, leading them to conclude that many of those fatalities were likely caused by the coronavirus but not confirmed. State reporting discrepancies and a sharp increase in U.S. deaths amid a pandemic suggest the number of Covid-19 fatalities is undercounted, they said.

“Our analyses suggest that the official tally of deaths due to Covid-19 represent a substantial undercount of the true burden,” Dan Weinberger, an epidemiologist at Yale School of Public Health and a lead author of the study, told CNBC. Weinberger said other factors could contribute to the increase in deaths, such as people avoiding emergency treatment for things like heart attacks. However, he doesn’t think that is the main driver.

The study was supported by the National Institute of Health.

The 781,000 total deaths in the United States in the three months through May 30 were about 122,300, or nearly 19% higher, than what would normally be expected, according to the researchers. Of the 122,300 excess deaths, 95,235 were attributed to Covid-19, they said. Most of the rest of the excess deaths, researchers said, were likely related to or directly caused by the coronavirus.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I remember once suggesting a stupid girl with that kind of mindset like "living dangerously and stuff like that" to go have some bareback sex with someone that is HIV positive. That should be fun.

My boss is awesome, but one thing he's done has pissed me off...he's hiring outside managers. 

One said yesterday that "we won't hear anything about covid-19 after the election". I then told him that my mom, the RN, voted for trump but she isn't stupid, this **** is REAL, and terrible. 

I got laughed at. By someone almost half my age. 

**** off, dickface. I won't send flowers. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

meanwhile in "liberal wa state" (though not in one of the few sizable cities) i see 65-75% of people from diverse demographics doing things without following any of the basic guidelines, and that's how it's been since the beginning...for those able to indulge, the american capacity for self-centered and excessive self-gratification at all kinds of costs has long been a feature of the society and now it's just more lethal than usual for older or sickly folk

pragmatically, i keep thinking  if you want to see even a much more serious financial and social melt-down, keep risking it all with this behavior and hope the work force doesn't take much larger hits health-wise and the economy really does go way way under

• Like 2

As an aside, is Washington State liberal, Jumbo? Or just the fewer counties where the majority of the population lives (like California)? Generally curious. 

Edit..Clinton only won 12 of 39 counties in 2016 there despite getting 500k more votes statewide.

Also wear a damn mask people.

MY0vO8i.jpg

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 8
  • Haha 6

Whew. Morning started off animated yesterday to say the least. One of our regulars,(small time general contractor who finally started talking to me again after I called him on his bs a few years ago),was on the warpath yesterday. Now I've seen this guy come in regularly during this time of lockdown and phased reopening. Credit to him he has worn a mask in the past but minded his own business. Yesterday morning however,was different. Training a new guy,(Iraq vet),and he wasn't wearing a mask,(mandatory). I was in the midst of talking to him,(and remind him about the mask),when this guy came around the corner and ordered him to come with him. They went around the corner and I heard raised voices. He was yelling at the MOD about people not wearing masks,the store not enforcing it,and how he would report the store and we would have to pay the big fine. Apparently,he had also confronted 2 young ladies,(17 and 18),about not wearing masks. He cussed  and took their pictures even,(bad mistake). He called the manager and all kinds of stuff. Next thing you know a table with complimentary masks,sanitizers,and a sign saying masks were mandatory showed up at the main front door. Apparently,a relative of his tested positive for Covid-19 and is on a ventilator. Amazing how that can change one's opinion of things. Probably find out about the fall out tomorrow.  I will say that an even larger percentage of people are wearing masks in the store these days even without all that. Locally however,not so much in a few of the popular places in town. One place has you wear them inside,but outside no. Total lack of social distancing and people are actively walking from table to table,group to group. Future cluster origin right there. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3