Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

19 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I don’t think the number of people who have it matters, people dying from it are what’s important and thus far we are managing that OK. Well see what happens in two weeks.

Of course the number of people who have it matters, because 1) they can be carriers and expose others who may get very ill, even if that person didn't, and 2) the more people who get it, the more people will eventually need hospitalization, which means the more people who get it the faster hospitalizations will go up and the more people will die who couldn't get urgent care. 

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

What. In. The. Actual. ****?

I really really hope that woman is charged with murder. It says her twitter feed was full of QAnon conspiracy stuff and praise for Trump. AND, after she took her daughter to the "coronavirus party" and she got sick, tried to treat her with hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin.

Trump should be charged as a co-conspirator. UGH.

I second that, but you can also add the full chain of command from the White House.

Seeing this from outside as life is slowly starting to come back to normal in France (for how long??) It seems your politicians have completly given up about the situation and are letting it spread at will until it dies by itself...

Which is scary to hell and inhuman in every aspects.

Can everyone of those working at the white house come back home every evening, watch wife/kids and say "I'm proud of what I have done today?"

Shame on them...

• Thanks 5

23 minutes ago, michiskin said:

130K dead is managing OK? Just curious, what number of dead would be poor management in your opinion?

Managing it currently. Deaths are relatively low and on a downward trend overall. And they are forecast to remain relatively low.

cases way up

EFA250B9-1635-447F-89CC-DEF404FEF836.thumb.png.62ce40fd95ead2d6c3312a0e2b01854f.png

deaths still decreasing:

DB785BEC-496A-46F0-93AC-905E0C5FD24C.thumb.png.690bfc6f2704d29fcf3e782f1aa7fc0a.png

like I said we will see what happens in two weeks. It isn’t an endorsement of people’s crummy behavior regarding the virus. I wouldn’t suggest not wearing a mask or going to a corona virus party or going to a movie theatre... but I don’t see a huge crisis,  just because the number of people who have it is high.

maybe managing it well wasn’t the right word choice.

9 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

... isn’t an endorsement of people’s crummy behavior regarding the virus. I wouldn’t suggest not wearing a mask or going to a corona virus party or going to a movie theatre... but I don’t see a huge crisis,  just because the number of people who have it is high.

I believe it's crummy behavior to act like you don't see a huge crisis happening right in front of your face and I refuse to endorse it.

Until now, I've always held off on commenting on your thoughts because I believed it would be a waste of time. I assure you I won't be repeating my mistake. Peace out.

Edited by michiskin
Misspelled something. Derp.
  • Thanks 3

45 minutes ago, michiskin said:

I believe it's crummy behavior to act like you don't see a huge crisis happening right in front of your face and I refuse to endorse it.

what exactly do you suggest I do differently personally, crisis or not? It doesn’t necessarily matter whether I think it is a crisis or not does it? It doesn’t need to be a crisis for people to have manners and do what they can to prevent the spread of the virus.

i can’t remember if it was here or somewhere else but someone said we  don’t wear masks for the flu do we? Like that was a good point. People haggled him for comparing Covid to the flu, but I think they were missing it. We should be wearing masks to prevent the flu. We shouldnt cough and gag over people. Six feat of distance isn’t some huge request in most cases.  So that is my main take away from this experience so far.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I don’t think the number of people who have it matters, people dying from it are what’s important and thus far we are managing that OK. Well see what happens in two weeks.

There are lingering and long term issues associated with the virus such as permanent lung damage and heart problems.

Considering the number of deaths as the only stat that matters is short sighted, and another attempt to downplay the severity of the disease.

130k deaths is not OK in my book. It’s a national disgrace.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8

‘The growth is exponential’ — Florida and Texas report surge of coronavirus cases over Fourth of July

Florida and Texas faced a surge of coronavirus cases over the Fourth of July holiday weekend, as state and local governments across the Sunbelt struggled to gain the upper hand over outbreaks that were spiraling out of control and threatened to overwhelm hospital systems.

Florida and Texas reported 11,445 and 8,258 new cases respectively Saturday, the highest single day totals for both states since the pandemic began, according to their state health departments. The spike in cases in Florida and Texas represented about 43% of the more than 45,000 daily cases reported in the U.S Saturday.  

The virus has infected more than 200,000 people total in Florida and at least 3,731 people have died. Infections continued to increase by the thousands Sunday with Florida reporting at least 9,999 new cases and Texas reporting at least 3,449.

The total number of infections in Texas has now reached more than 195,000 as hospitalizations there surge. Hospitals in at least two Texas counties, Starr and Hidalgo, are at full capacity and local officials are urging residents there to shelter-in-place and avoid gatherings. 

Florida reported Saturday that 14.1% of those tested for the virus were positive while Texas reported a positive rate of 13.1%, both far above the 5% threshold that the World Health Organization advises as a safe level for governments to reopen business. 

Those testing positive in Florida tend to be younger, with a median age of 35 as of Saturday. In Texas, available data shows a large portion of people testing positive are between 20 and 39 years old. 

Though deaths from the virus in Florida have remained on a downward trajectory, Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams has warned that fatalities lag new cases and a clearer picture might not emerge for two weeks or more. 

Even as Florida reports record case numbers, Gov. Ron DeSantis has said he won’t close businesses again and has repeatedly refused to order a statewide mask mandate to curb the spread of the virus, though the governor has indicated that Florida won’t move forward with the next stages of its reopening plan for now. 

Click on the link for the full article

We could start a whole thread about rich people, Republicans believe it or not, making millions off of COVID aid relief 

Fat WV Governor 

https://time.com/5863410/west-virginia-governor-companies-coronavirus-loans/

Yeezy

https://www.thedailybeast.com/billionaire-kanye-wests-company-yeezy-llc-gets-multimillion-dollar-ppp-loan-from-trump-admin?utm_source=feedly&utm_medium=webfeeds

Trump Friends and Family 

https://www.propublica.org/article/trump-friends-and-family-cleared-for-millions-in-small-business-bailout

Brad Parscale? 
https://www.motherjones.com/2020-elections/2020/07/brad-parscale-ppp-loan/

Lady Mosco Mitch’s Family got sum too!

https://www.newsweek.com/mcconnells-wifes-family-business-appears-trump-admins-list-companies-that-received-most-ppp-1515788

Surprisingly a church is getting in on the action 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-ppp-religious-idUSKBN2480CB

I’m sure I could go on if I kept looking but all these just showed up on the front page of Reddit today so I figured I would share them. It’s wild people vote for this but will come after you for needing government assistance ima heart beat. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

It's not just about the mortality rate. We're seeing people with organ damage, scarred lungs, not feeling right months later and we don't know if there are any long long-term effects.

I don't want to heal with 15% less lung capacity, that is life-altering.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

It's not just about the mortality rate. We're seeing people with organ damage, scarred lungs, not feeling right months later and we don't know if there are any long long-term effects.

I don't want to heal with 15% less lung capacity, that is life-altering.

Exactly.  Lower death rate does not equate to fewer hospitalizations/severe cases.  In fact, it means a vastly greater number of “recovered” cases with long-term disabilities and crushing medical expense.  Not an ideal outcome by any measure.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Managing it currently. Deaths are relatively low and on a downward trend overall. And they are forecast to remain relatively low.

cases way up        deaths still decreasing:

like I said we will see what happens in two weeks. It isn’t an endorsement of people’s crummy behavior regarding the virus. I wouldn’t suggest not wearing a mask or going to a corona virus party or going to a movie theatre... but I don’t see a huge crisis,  just because the number of people who have it is high.

I get what you are saying but to me this is a very dangerous position to take considering the extremely limited amount of a data. And to go a step further, there is now some data that suggest that even if you recover from Corona, there are long lasting symptoms and damage to the body. Granted, not enough data to say it's a fact yet. 

People need to be encouraged to stay vigilant in social distancing, wearing masks, getting tested, not having major indoor events, etc. 

15 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

what exactly do you suggest I do differently personally, crisis or not? It doesn’t necessarily matter whether I think it is a crisis or not does it? It doesn’t need to be a crisis for people to have manners and do what they can to prevent the spread of the virus.

i can’t remember if it was here or somewhere else but someone said we  don’t wear masks for the flu do we? Like that was a good point. People haggled him for comparing Covid to the flu, but I think they were missing it. We should be wearing masks to prevent the flu. We shouldnt cough and gag over people. Six feat of distance isn’t some huge request in most cases.  So that is my main take away from this experience so far.

Again, I get what you are saying but this is not how most people will interpret things.  I agree, we should probably wear masks during flu season. But Corona is not the Flu. It's more deadly and there are so many things we do not know about it yet. So to keep people from getting complacent we need to keep a high emphasis on what steps we can take as individuals to help stop the spread.  

9 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Something I thought about yesterday...I've heard of so many patients who have to be medically comatose...for months. 

Other than death from the virus itself, nothing scares me more. 

Nothing. 

Interestingly, I keep hoping I am in a coma and will wake up from this nightmare....   But i get your point 😉  

Aside from the severe cases and death, consider the healthcare economics of the hot spots. 

There is likely suspension of all elective surgeries in most of these hospital systems. This is the way most hospitals make money. The COVID patients there are likely Medicare, Medicaid or uninsured. The hospital systems revenue is likely being crushed. The patients who survive COVID do have post acute care complications and ongoing needs in a lot of cases. Further, their length of stay is very long and the costs can be astronomical. In most cases the costs are covered by taxpayers

It's not all about death rates. The more people infected the greater likelihood we are to overwhelm the hospital systems and essentially bankrupt it. Consider the downstream effects of all these cases on the healthcare economy

Edited by Bonez3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

all the relevant professional/ science people i know/knew, esp. the (many) medical doctors, are on the same page about how an increasing bigger percentage of relatively healthy and younger (25-45) people are having long lasting repercussions in a variety of forms, and too many of them are really life-affecting to either troublesome or very serious degrees

given the extreme self-celebrating and self-indulgent nature of so much of the population in our culture, it may take that old sad simple dynamic of more people getting seriously ill in a large majority of families for the ...virus-deniers?---to get it, but by then it may be too late economically and in every way

btw...the next time one of you, ahem, "younger adult" people make with a boomer slam, take a moment to applaud the callous selfish pig-stupid and harmful behaviors of so many among the younger cohorts in this pandemic---bars and beaches and **** the cdc guidelines wherever ya go, baby!!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I just got called back to work.  I'm going to be on a "one on one off" week schedule where the office is at 50% capacity.  They have a lot of protocol in place too.

I have to report tomorrow through Friday and then off next week.

I'm a bit skeptical about it all but we'll see how it goes.

EDIT:

Just found out that high risk people don't have to report.  I have asthma (has been very mild as an adult) and my wife is pregnant with our son due August 9th.  So I'm going to see how it is when I go in tomorrow and how comfortable I feel.

Edited by purbeast
  • Like 4

I am so profoundly sick of people comparing COVID to the flu.  This is vastly more contagious, and vastly more dangerous than our typical seasonal flu.  We currently have about 4x more deaths from COVID than we do from a typical flu season, and that's WITH all the social distancing, economic shutdown, and masking.  

In my hospital, we have had hundreds of COVID patients, including many extraordinarily sick ones (including some very young, previously healthy people).  While are getting better and better at keeping people alive with experience and science, survivors of this are often left with terrible effects.  This virus specifically attacks the endothelial cells (the ones that line blood vessels), creating a vasculitis that causes strokes, lung scarring, severe kidney injury, and more.  Survivors dealing with these things will have long term suffering and shorter, more painful lives because of this illness.  This is not true of seasonal flu, where long term damage is very rare.  Also, the patients who do ultimately die from this virus often do so weeks (or even months) after initially falling sick, so I'm not at all confident that the death numbers are going to stay low.

Also, this pandemic has had a catastrophic effect on health care economics.  We have had to curtail "elective" procedures and other services dramatically.  Now, our health care economic system was a hot mess before this, but this has just made everything far worse.  Many hospitals are going to go bankrupt because of this, exacerbating access problems that were pre-existing.  

It is stupid, irrational, irresponsible, and deadly to promote (or participate in) non-critical social gatherings and to discourage mask-wearing.  Those who do have blood on their hands.  

This has been the most discouraging few months of my professional life.  I'm so frustrated by the sheer stupidity and callousness of so many people in this country.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

This has been the most discouraging few months of my professional life.  I'm so frustrated by the sheer stupidity and callousness of so many people in this country.  

words actually worthy of being carved in stone, and it sums the view of many fine educated decent people i know who also happen to be expert in a relevant field

but of course to the selfish malicious ignorant hordes that seem to gather under banners like "gop" and "southern heritage" etc., they're victims of brainwashing and groupthink ^_^

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Brazil’s dip**** President has it.

The company I work for has manufacturing in Brazil. One of my team members is from there and lives there and I know many people from there through work (I have been to Brazil several times for business) And she has been comparing Bolsonaro to Trump. I have been telling her trump is worse but she is not buying it. 

No one is wishing death on another but I doubt she or any of my other friends in Brazil will feel sorry for him. Let's see how it goes. WIll this change his approach? Doubt it but you never know. 

• Like 1