Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

9 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

where are you? I went out today in NoVa to run some errands and everyone had on masks....I feel somewhat safe

Virginia Beach, over a dozen people I know have it. My girlfriend is a nurse so she is taking this serious and really has made me aware how big of a deal this is. A group of people I hangout with pretty frequently had a “Joe Exotic” theme party and seemed like after that a bunch of them were testing positive. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

The last time they rushed a flu vaccine to market (swine flu vaccine), more people died of the vaccine than from the flu itself.

I'm not taking any Covid-19 vaccine until it's been out for several years. If I have to self isolate for a few years, so be it.

Edited by LadySkinsFan
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, ClaytoAli said:

Current vaccine stages

Geovax has 4 different vaccines interring animal modeling trials

Animal modeling is a long way (years) from a safe, effective vaccine.  There are other vaccines that are in Phase 3 human trials which could mean something next year, if we're lucky.

5 minutes ago, purbeast said:

The ****ing president of the USA doesn't even know how to write "one hundredth" in a numerical manner.

Holy ****ing ****.

Of course he paid someone to take his SATs.

lol

He's getting roasted on Twitter for it. Tons of people saying the same thing: "No wonder you had to pay someone else to take your SATs"

What a goddamn buffoon. And this is supposedly some political genius who plays 5-D chess against his enemies? Well, at least they didn't make him walk down a ramp or say "Jefferson".

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Yeats was inspired by the 1918 pandemic when he transformed his magnificent fever dream to words:

And inspired by 2020 when he wrote

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
Surely some revelation is at hand

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

And inspired by 2020 when he wrote

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
Surely some revelation is at hand

Exactly! It fits so well doesn’t it-- despite being written over a century ago.

Then again, what’s a mere 100 years in this simulacrum of reality we call space time anyway?

“The distinction between the past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion.” A. Einstein

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 2

Glad my father got out of Florida while the gettin' was good.

Florida emerges as world's new epicenter for COVID-19

Florida has emerged as a global epicenter of the latest coronavirus surge, raising questions about the safety of major events that relocated to the state.

As coronavirus cases surged throughout much of the Northeast in April and May, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) declared victory.

Florida was one of the last states to impose a stay-at-home order, and one of the first to reopen. DeSantis earned praise from President Trump for his response to the pandemic and attacked the media for fearmongering after the state reopened its beaches.

“When you look at some of the most draconian orders that have been issued in some of these states and compare Florida in terms of our hospitalizations ... I mean, you go from D.C., Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Illinois — you name it — Florida has done better,” DeSantis said from the Oval Office in late April.

Buoyed by the low infection rates and encouraged by the White House, the state’s first phase of reopening included restaurants, gyms, barbershops and large spectator sporting events, with reduced capacity.

Professional sports leagues, including the NBA and Major League Soccer, announced they would resume their seasons in Florida. The Republican National Convention was moved to Jacksonville from Charlotte, N.C., because there would be fewer restrictions.

But weeks later, infections are skyrocketing. Some sports teams have already arrived in the state, and league leaders are facing questions about whether it’s safe to continue with their plans.

In an interview with Fortune magazine, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver acknowledged the situation in Florida was not the same as when the league made its decision to play in Disney World.

But Silver said he wasn’t sure what the threshold would be to cancel the remainder of the season that’s supposed to resume July 30.

On Wednesday, Florida reported nearly 10,000 new cases. There are nearly 220,500 positive cases statewide, and the test positivity rate has been above 14 percent for more than a week.

Adding to the trouble, hospitals across the state are running out of beds in the intensive care units, although state officials say there is still plenty of capacity and hospitals have the ability to add surge beds.

According to a state dashboard from the Agency for Health Care Administration (AHCA), hospitals have less than 15 percent ICU capacity available. Statewide, 42 hospitals have no ICU beds available, though that number is down from the 56 hospitals reported on Tuesday.

Click on the link for the full article

Edited by China
  • Sad 1

I think our best hope is for a successful therapeutic to emerge over the next few months. I'm more hopeful about that than about a vaccine, would love to hear bcl05's thoughts about that.

How can there possibly be a theraputic in the next few months when they don't know how Covid-19 works in most cases? This thing keeps changing and attacking different parts of the cardio vascular system. Scientists are trying like hell to develop something that might work, but it's not coming anytime soon.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

The first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have one. Therefore.... we’re ****ed.

I think scientists do recognize that there is a problem. Research and development of therapeutics and vaccines take a lot of time to get out to the population. Anyone who thinks that it's going to happen in September or October is kidding themselves and listening to bull**** from Trump, who doesn't know what he's talking about.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

The last time they rushed a flu vaccine to market (swine flu vaccine), more people died of the vaccine than from the flu itself.

I'm not taking any Covid-19 vaccine until it's been out for several years. If I have to self isolate for a few years, so be it.

I am also not planning to be in the first wave but that was 1976. That's not to say the government doesn't still screw up but they cannot afford a swing and miss here or the anti-vax movement will explode. 44 years ago was a different time as far as health policy/technology is concerned.

We've learned things over the years i.e. don't use formaldehyde to weaken the virus because of the risks. And we have many technologies now where you don't even need the virus injected into you - simple bits of genetic code from the virus, which cannot accidentally infect you, can potentially get the job done now.

It'd be great if the mRNA vaccine is the one that is proven safe and effective vs. the traditional inactivated virus approach.

1 hour ago, LadySkinsFan said:

How can there possibly be a theraputic in the next few months when they don't know how Covid-19 works in most cases? This thing keeps changing and attacking different parts of the cardio vascular system. Scientists are trying like hell to develop something that might work, but it's not coming anytime soon.

A biotech firm I work with is involved in vaccine and therapeutic work, it's definitely challenging but ..

While this is a new virus, past experience with SARS and MERS helps, and it still fundamentally operates like other RNA viruses. We've seen modest results from drugs designed to interfere with the RNA replication process, and drugs designed to limit extreme immune responses. And we can also clone antibodies in the lab specifically designed for its spike protein that allows it to enter cells.

None of these are panaceas and the antibody approach that worked for Ebola still has to be tested for this, but it's encouraging to see things like this within the space of a few months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

A biotech firm I work with is involved in vaccine and therapeutic work, it's definitely challenging but ..

I'm sorry, but people are fixed in my mind when I first get to know them. I can't accept you as having expertise on anything beyond hockey and 90s sitcoms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7