Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

Now Boris Johnson.

It seems like a high percentage of well-known people have contracted the virus. 

Starting with Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson.

NBA star Kevin Durant, followed by Marcus Smart, Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell.

Prince Charles.

Prince Albert of Monaco

Idris Elba.

Placido Domingo.

Rand Paul.

Jackson Browne.

Sophie Trudeau, wife of Justin Trudeau.

Game of Thrones star Kristofer Hivju

12 minutes ago, Nerm said:

I busted out the calculator.  Wasn't the stimulus bill 2 trillion?  We have around 325 mil people in our nation, the vast majority of which would be citizens.  Unless I'm off on that, that comes out to around 6k per person.  

I am skeptical that 300% of the stimulus was set aside for corporate bonuses. That % seems a bit high.

Math?  You don’t need math.

Just open your heart to the “truthiness” and will it into reality.  Maybe Mexico will pay for it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Now Boris Johnson.

It seems like a high percentage of well-known people have contracted the virus

NBA star Kevin Durant, followed by Marcus Smart, Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell.

Prince Charles.

Prince Albert of Monaco

Idris Elba.

Placido Domingo.

Rand Paul.

Jackson Browne.

Well known people get tested for the virus. I bet the % of well known people getting the virus is no different than the rest of us getting the virus.  We're not tested though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, UK_HOG said:

Well known people get tested for the virus. I bet the % of well known people getting the virus is no different than the rest of us getting the virus.  We're not tested though.

No kidding. Here in NC they are only testing those that are really sick. They refuse to test those whose symptoms are mild, and that are likely the ones that spread most of the virus.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, UK_HOG said:

Well, they're also probably around lots of people, as well as having tons of random people come up and want to meet them and shake their hand. Those things could be contributors as well. Most of us don't have total randos running up to us all day wanting to talk, get selfies, whatever.

14 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Now Boris Johnson.

It seems like a high percentage of well-known people have contracted the virus. 

Prince Charles.

Prince Albert of Monaco

Idris Elba.

Placido Domingo.

Rand Paul.

Jackson Browne.

So 15 people is a "high percentage" of well known people?

Let me guess.  You were never in an advanced math class growing up were you.

Watching someone snap their fingers and approve A 250k-400k expenditure is nuts. 

no one wants it because the cost is such a burden but it doesn’t ****ing matter. Cost doesn’t ****ing matter at all. It just took weeks to get the right people to understand or involved. 

and if they realized if weeks ago when it was first explained we’d be solving other problems right now. 

indecisiveness and allowing yourself to be wishywashy in a crisis is a what compounds things and it’s hard to make up for it elsewhere/later

it takes a while for people to wrap their heads around the fact that you don’t get to do decision by committee anymore, so that if it doesn’t work out you’ve got a whole group to share responsibility. 

you gotta make decisions. You gotta do it now. And yeah maybe it’ll cost you your job down the line and maybe it isn’t the right decisions and you’ll have to live with the consequences. 

but you gotta make decisions. Now. Let’s go. Sack up and pick an option. We’ll deal with the consequences later. You’re the experts. Be the experts. Yes, it’s scary. So what? There’s not enough time to be scared. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, Hooper said:

We are still early. Again, this is a horror movie in slow motion. How many people are going to die in the states because of this? 50k doesn’t seem remotely crazy. Think about that. 

I looked deeper into how many folks in this country were possibly in the target demographic of high death rates, like over 65. 

I had to walk away because we are careening towards a spike that will raise the numbers because of having to choose who to save and we haven't even gotten to overwhelming all the rural hospitals yet.

50k would be a miracle at this rate.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

50k would be a miracle at this rate.

I agree completely with this.  50K would be remarkable.  If he ends social distancing in a lot of places Easter watch out.  In the end could be 7 figures.  Keep social distancing and I'd guess in the low 6 figures.  

The above numbers pulled totally out of my ass with no backing whatsoever.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

With these recognizable names getting tests, many not showing symptoms and having it. It's like hundreds of thousands...(Millions?) of american have it/had it, and passing it, and just don't know it. 

If every american were tested today, right now, how many positives would there be?

Earlier this month, I had a scratchy throat, mild congestion, headaches and very mild fatigue and assumed it was allergies/getting back on claritin adjustment. Legitimately could have been more than a cold/allergies. Wild and scary times. 

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Hooper said:

We are still early. Again, this is a horror movie in slow motion. How many people are going to die in the states because of this? 50k doesn’t seem remotely crazy. Think about that. 

Unfortunately too many.

Today on TV professor Lefort in charge of a lab studying covid said the virus is mutating but also weakening ! (sorry I have no link)

Scientists glimpse sign of COVID-19 weakening

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

My guess is we blow past 50k deaths in the month of April and land somewhere between 150-200k by the end of the first wave of this outbreak (before June).

4 minutes ago, Nerm said:

Here is an article from yesterday about projections of cases and deaths in the US.  Still a pretty big range of estimates.  Hopefully there will be more clarity as testing continues to ramp up.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/experts-say-the-coronavirus-outlook-has-worsened-but-the-trajectory-is-still-unclear/

From the article:  "The consensus forecast suggests there will be around 117,000 cases reported this Sunday, with a 90 percent chance of having between 55,000 and 246,000."

What kind of estimate is predicting fewer cases (55,000) than have already been reported?

Sobering thought of the day courtesy of my wife: 

With many of us practicing social distancing and isolation of family units, how much more abuse do you think is happening? Lord knows it is a stressful time with many losing jobs...and then being forced to be around your family.  All of this with increased risks from getting sick or others around you getting sick or being unable to fulfill their needs.

Now you add social workers trying to check in remotely...

• Sad 1

a suggestion

one of the best ways to get good information likely to be the most useful to you about the state of this matter is to contact your primary health provider or clinic/hospital you are most likely to use if needed  in your areas and see what they say about symptomology they're looking for, time involved, and what their process is for testing or accepting patients right where you would go to if necessary

do not rely on info provided in posts here from secondary sources---if a source is posted that is not the cdc or mayoclinic.com for example, but quotes the cdc or mayoclinic in its article, don't assume it's as useful/valid as going directly to the cdc/mayo site and look for any missing context etc. that may matter

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

8 minutes ago, gbear said:

Sobering thought of the day courtesy of my wife: 

With many of us practicing social distancing and isolation of family units, how much more abuse do you think is happening? Lord knows it is a stressful time with many losing jobs...and then being forced to be around your family.  All of this with increased risks from getting sick or others around you getting sick or being unable to fulfill their needs.

Now you add social workers trying to check in remotely...

There are some sobering articles in WaPo and NYT about this over the last week or two, some are expecting a divorce spike once the courts open back up based on accounts from lawyers interviewed and already getting calls.