Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

I'm extremely dubious of a 15 minute test that detects it earlier than PCR.  PCR is really good at testing infections for two reasons:

1.  You have to have an active infection.

2.  Since PCR (or in this case they are using RT-PCR), it is an amplification technique so you can start with a little and get a lot.

This sounds like an antibody based test (they are generally fast and the antibodies would be plentiful in the blood stream), which means two things, you are making antibodies (which means you've got a significant enough infection that your body is making antibodies), and anybody that has an infection will still have antibodies and test positive even if they are better.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Destino said:

Life comes at you fast.

Tuesday morning at work we talked of cancelling an event in a couple of months. Some thought we were nuts to even consider it. By Thursday morning it was "why the **** have we not notified everyone that the event has been cancelled".

16 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

True, but my grocery store doesn’t sell cows...

which may be a little surprising given I’m in Texas.  

Tell them you have some magic beans. Then they will know you are genuinely in the market and not a time waster.

• Haha 2

There is no way that we don't have a community spread at this point.  We need a lockdown and we needed it a long time ago.  

Article from today.

https://www.wusa9.com/mobile/article/news/health/coronavirus/fairfax-county-elementary-school-teacher-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/65-5cdf4a97-228b-46e7-8045-6cf260975efa

A Fairfax elementary school teacher is among the latest to test positive for the COVID-19 coronavirus in Northern Virginia.

Catherine Collett, a teacher at Lynnbrook Elementary School, shared her journey in a Facebook post, detailing the experience of testing and her self quarantine. She thanked the health care workers who helped her, calling them “heroes.”

"On our first of four ER visits, we were told to go home and go back to work when my husband’s fever broke (after flu, blood, and urine tests)," Collett said in the Facebook post. "I had to fight for my husband to get tested. I had to try multiple avenues to get tested. We’d call the ER and be told we qualify for testing, to show up and be told we don’t."

Collette, whose husband is an EMT who primarily transports elderly patients, said because of the reactive and not proactive approach to the tests, both her and her husband could have exposed many people given the vast amount of information they were given had they not self-quarantined.

Thank God this family was super proactive.  How many people couldn't get tested and just went about their daily life armed with advice from the ER?

Additional bit from the article

The commonwealth currently has two test kits available, each of which can test between 150-200 patients, meaning up to 400 patients can be tested for coronavirus in the state of Virginia, according to Dr. Denise Toney, the director of the Division of Consolidated Laboratory Services (DCLS).

The state expected to receive an additional test kit Tuesday, with "half the capacity of the other test kits," Toney said.

FFS Trump, where are the damn tests?

7 minutes ago, PeterMP said:

This sounds like an antibody based tes

I believe they said that but I may have misheard. 

I don’t know anything about antibody tests, so I don’t know how my brain could have made that up, but I may have misheard. 

this was the first time my wife felt good about any of the press conferences. She needs testing up and she needs it now. 

I tried to point a few things out but she told me to shut up she needs positive news somewhere so she’s taking what she could get. 

so I shut up. 

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

FFS Trump, where are the damn tests?

Virginia had 75 a week ago. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

i need to detach for mental sanity, its getting to me big time

but i feel like i'll miss something very important when i do

I hate to sound harsh but suck it up.  If you can’t make it through this with your sanity in check, you definitely won’t make it the next few weeks or months when things are even worse.

I guess I can share now that it is on social media.  Marine Corp Instillations East going essential personnel only for next 48 hours.  All NAVAIR commands will work as normal at this point.  Surprised there isn’t more focus on how the military is handling this considering the ramifications.

• Like 6

My wife went to Costco and got whole bunch of food. She said it was full of everything. Since the kids are out for two weeks she even got them the 54 pack variety chips box as well. I told her to pick up some honey for me. I am thinking if all we have left is bread i can at least put honey on it... lol

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Everyone in NC that I’ve had contact with believes it’s overblown by the media. I live in a very red area. The parking lots everywhere are still full.

My aunt that lives with me is right wing, but she’s really listened to the doctors (and me) on this one. We’re locking it down. But I know nobody else is paying attention...yet. 

It’s beyond frustrating. I don’t even have the words anymore. 

Survival of the fittest as the saying goes or natural selection. All the dumb people will die and the smart ones staying home will live on and rebuild a better world. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

help is on the way

56 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

True, but my grocery store doesn’t sell cows...

which may be a little surprising given I’m in Texas.  

have you considered oatmeal?

you can add fruit or sugar/honey if generous.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, zskins said:

My wife went to Costco and got whole bunch of food. She said it was full of everything. Since the kids are out for two weeks she even got them the 54 pack variety chips box as well. I told her to pick up some honey for me. I am thinking if all we have left is bread i can at least put honey on it... lol

Honey and peanut butter sandwiches slap 

• Like 2

I’ve heard from multiple sources that the government will enact a mandatory 2 week closure of all businesses other than grocery and fuel.  I’ve seen nothing to substantiate that other than two separate sources that said government officials told them.

Anyone hearing anything of the such?

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I hate to sound harsh but suck it up.  If you can’t make it through this with your sanity in check, you definitely won’t make it the next few weeks or months when things are even worse.

I guess I can share now that it is on social media.  Marine Corp Instillations East going essential personnel only for next 48 hours.  All NAVAIR commands will work as normal at this point.  Surprised there isn’t more focus on how the military is handling this considering the ramifications.

I believe you can blame this on White House Occupant who spends more time telling us about his greatness in handling this & how he has 'everything under control'. Maybe if he had a sidekick who spent less time blowing the White House Occupant & more time giving us facts we would know more.

Sorry, this isn't directed at you but, FFS the overall lack of leadership has been horrific. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I’ve heard from multiple sources that the government will enact a mandatory 2 week closure of all businesses other than grocery and fuel.  I’ve seen nothing to substantiate that other than two separate sources that said government officials told them.

Anyone hearing anything of the such?

A friend of mine sent a message to me on Thursday pretty much saying the same thing.