Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

It's not hard to see the effects on the economy when 250 million people would get sick and 3 million people, at a minimum would die. This isn't a difficult concept. Look how fast it spreads. Imagine concerts, sporting events, big work conferences, schools, etc. It would spread like wild fire. Now where do those people get treated? How's the economy doing when you knock off 3 million people plus have people out sick or mourning the loss of parents. 

• Like 3

I have no idea why some people continue to insist that it is difficult to understand why mitigation and social distancing is critical to changing the trajectory of this virus.  Maybe they can't read.  Or are lacking some critical brain function.  I simply don't get it.  

I'll try to make it simple. 

Imagine a dangerous virus is spreading through a small community of 1000 people.  This is a bug that requires life-saving treatment.  Eventually, given the infectiousness of the bug, everyone is going to get it.   Now, imagine the hospital in town has enough equipment and staff to save 10 people per day.  If the virus spreads slowly, 10 people show up every day at the hospital for 100 days in a row.  How many die?  (zero).  Now imagine 20 show up every day for 50 days in a row.  How many die?  (500).  Now imagine all 1000 show up sick at the same time.  How many die?  (990).  

This is a simplification, obviously, but maybe it will make sense to the simple.  

The only reason we are seeing critical shortages of key equipment is because too many people are getting sick too fast.  People die in excess when we exceed capacity.  Slowing the spread means we can save the vast majority of affected people.   The cost of "opening up the economy" is that huge numbers of people get covid19 at the same time and huge numbers die who don't need too.   The amorality of someone who would choose that is grotesque.

Sorry if this comes off snarky.  I'm about to start my 4th meeting of the day about this virus.  Our hospital is straining - this is as severe a threat to our continuance as a medical center as has ever happened.  We're in trouble here, and the people who minimize this are part of the problem.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 7

2 hours ago, Larry said:

We know:  

1)  How many Americans have been killed by this virus, so far.

2)  How much the stock market has dropped.

3)  Which one you think is more important.  

I don't think number 1 is true, since we are already finding out the deaths due to coronavirus are under-reported.

There is gonna be a lot of overlap on those Beal, that is why standards for cause of death matter....yet vary in locations.

death rates above the seasonally adjusted norm might give a clearer picture

1 hour ago, PeterMP said:

This is only true if the disease mutates to evade our immune system, while staying as lethal and/or as contagious or the immune system poorly remembers this disease and it is possible to be re-infected again.

Long-term yes, but in the short term, if things slowly return to normal after the lockdown, chances are quite high that another large spike in cases takes place if test and tracing isn't in place.

We should also probably start serological testing ASAP too if the asymptomatic case #s are as high as some studies suggest.

---

Which on a side note, I've been wondering if my wife and I were exposed in early March. We went to the ER at 3 AM one night because she spiked a low grade fever, developed a viral rash and had been complaining of headaches the three days prior. Tested negative for strep and flu. Her fever went away in ~24 hours. Never developed respiratory symptoms. They didn't test her that night for COVID, but I'm now wondering if at any point I was asymptomatic and she only developed really mild symptoms.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 2

They just showed the NY Governor (Andrew Cumou?) on British TV, giving a statement about the virus. He first gave the facts and then gave his own personal take on it.

It wasn't good news and he didn't pull any punches, but he came over as very sincere, intelligent and articulate.

Why the **** isn't this guy President?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, London Kev said:

They just showed the NY Governor (Andrew Cumou?) on British TV, giving a statement about the virus. He first gave the facts and then gave his own personal take on it.

It wasn't good news and he didn't pull any punches, but he came over as very sincere, intelligent and articulate.

I’m calling it now with how he’s handled it. He’s president the first time an opportunity arises for him 

1 hour ago, bcl05 said:

I have no idea why some people continue to insist that it is difficult to understand why mitigation and social distancing is critical to changing the trajectory of this virus.  Maybe they can't read.  Or are lacking some critical brain function.  I simply don't get it.  

Ummm ... have you seen who was voted our president?

When you think about how dumb your average person is, and then remember that HALF THE POPULATION is even dumber than that, it makes a lot of sense.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, London Kev said:

Because USA has an inordinate amount of idiot asshats? Just surmising.

Beat me to it Purbeast🙂

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Redskinzfan30 said:

I’m calling it now with how he’s handled it. He’s president the first time an opportunity arises for him 

As long as he doesn't over-play it. I still remember Biden destroying Giuliani's presidential aspirations with the "noun, verb, and 9/11" death blow. Rudy hasn't been the same since. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bcl05 said:

They’ve decided their preconceived worldview on everything is right and have no room for actual subject matter experts 

the same “people” have been posting the same nonsense every day for a while. 

it’s a total waste of time. They’re trolling or more likely are just lacking simple cognitive functions

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, AJ* said:

As long as he doesn't over-play it. I still remember Biden destroying Giuliani's presidential aspirations with the "noun, verb, and 9/11" death blow. Rudy hasn't been the same since. 

I was going to post something similar. 

It ain't over yet, still plenty of time for him to screw up...but I'm optimistic about his capabilities & genuine care for NYers & humanity in general...something severely lacking at the federal level right now. 

49 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Which on a side note, I've been wondering if my wife and I were exposed in early March. We went to the ER at 3 AM one night because she spiked a low grade fever, developed a viral rash and had been complaining of headaches the three days prior. Tested negative for strep and flu. Her fever went away in ~24 hours. Never developed respiratory symptoms. They didn't test her that night for COVID, but I'm now wondering if at any point I was asymptomatic and she only developed really mild symptoms.

My understanding is the at home test kits may be coming soon, but is there a way to get at home kits to test if we have the antibodies?  I have my suspicions as well, at this point I want to know if we my wife and I already had it without knowing it.

by the way, this circle of silliness that keeps going on in this thread is about what I imagine the SME's are going through when they have a meeting with trump

there are people that have no appreciation for expertise, education, and experience. they think they do, but their selective application of the appreciation shows they actually don't. they've just fooled themselves into thinking they do.

actions speak louder than words. and the action of your brain being stuck in the same loop despite experts explaining otherwise is quite loud.

1 minute ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Be cause we are a sick people

we truly are.

the most depressing thing, other than the fact that my wife is putting her life on the line (as well as her family's), is how people are acting about this. we need solidarity, but people are stealing hospital supplies, putting their attachment to the stock market above countless lives (not even economics, just the stock market), people who's jobs are to step up in this situation are refusing to do so for the most absurd reasons, and a number of people don't seem to give a **** that they might get sick and have no symptoms and then infect someone that winds up requiring serious hospitalization or may die.

the portion of our people that are cowards and/or absurdly selfish/ignorant is just awful to realize in action.

• Like 7

We have a severe problem with character, shared responsibility, and the meaning of community in this country. I've been saying it for a long time, but it's the kind of thing that people only pay lip service too until it's too late.

These types of challenges and life-threatening situations are exactly what training to have good character is for.

• Like 3