Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

1 minute ago, dc1 said:

Lol.  

Seriously, put on your critical thinking cap and tell me what owner got it right without an office general?  

Are you suggesting that Snyder is incapable of selected a team president and GM? Did you call out Gibbs, Shanahan or Bruce Allen as absolutely bone head decisions before anybody else?

What NFL franchise won with an owner that had tight purse strings?

Look man, it's very easy and cheap to say that Snyder is the singular problem, based on his behavior in his first 5 years of ownership.  

Just remembered, he hired Joe Gibbs in 2004.   5 years after he bought the team.

Joe had final decisions on everything through 2008.  Was that Dan's fault?

What about the hire of Mike Shanahan who also had 100% control.    In retrospect, we can all agree that Mike is/was a special kind of donkey, but who could have honestly knocked the signing and or thought it was a horrific idea to give Mike full control?

And now, after Bruce's 10 years of culture,  We are celebrating his departure.

So yeah, I guess flipped "Dan is the worst owner" bit is the going catch phrase for smart NFL fans...

I was a snider apologist for a very long time, I remember being one of the last holdouts. 

You make valid points, and I still hold hope that snider can figure it out and get this team turned around. 

He definitely has passion and a desire to win but in the end results are all that matter and his results over the last 20 years have been atrocious no matter how you try to put a positive spin on it.

1 hour ago, skinsmania123 said:

Cam Newton loves Riveria.  Said as much when Riveria was released.  He got the best out of him, while allowing him to be himself.  Haskins IMO is not as big of personality as Newton. I think Haskins is going to be happy to work with his new HC.   Maybe he keeps KOC since he is a defensive minded HC.

I just do not think for a minute he does not want Haskins on this team. Now if Haskins does not improve next year then it might be a different story.

I was hoping this when I wrote it to be honest. Thats good to hear (stuff about cam). I agree they are similar personalities, but Cam is a whole other type of guy when hes really feeling himself. He knows hes a star and wants to be. I dont get that Haskins nearly as much. 

I am excite. 

11 minutes ago, Audible_Red40 said:

I'm down for any coach that can win a division with a 7-8-1 record!  We're back baby!

Seriously though, I am excited for this.  At first I was thinking an offensive mind would be better.  But the more I think about this, Riverboat Ron might just be the kid of coach we need here!

This... Rivera is a leader. Players will slap their mother and run through a wall for a guy like him. We NEED that culture right now more than ever. If Shaffer, Smith, and Rivera are all on board, we're gonna see some physicality, discipline, and transparency... none of which have been prevalent in years here

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

But was the offense a victim of Haskins' learning curve, Callahan's conservative nature, the lack of tight ends/o line woes, or KOC's growing pains? That's something the next HC has to figure out.

It had to be a combo of all of this. I mean all of that at once would hurt any team

22 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

So we're gonna have 2 HC with Riveira and Callahan?

3 if he gets his boy Wilks as DC. He was a (failed) HC. I like that kind of experience on the staff personally. 

2 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

So if you were also on a bike you'd be:

That dude was a G. I have never seen a guy crash and burn so much and get back up and do it all again. Hes basically a little pixelated Dan Snyder. 

15 hours ago, Thirtyfive2seven said:

I don’t get it, we hired a coach without firing a gm or hiring a gm?!?  

Not exactly.

1 - We fired the Team President.

2 - We have not named another Team President.

3 - We haven't have a GM for years now. And still haven't.

4 - We already have a HC right now in Callahan, I believe. Though he was interim and technically season is over, so I'm not sure if he's legally under contract or not, but he hasn't been removed officially of his duty...

So that's normal life at Redskins Park.

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

This right here..bingo..started seeing alot more stuff we haven't seen in a while...I loved the play calling..haskins started coming around looking decent..god I'm getting pumped already for next season lol

We saw Haskins in the shotgun much more frequently 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

The Browns have all of those except the #2 pick but a more proven QB and I believe more cap space.

Not exactly. Their star defender tried to decapitate a guy with his own helmet a few weeks ago, and nobody's quite sure which planet OBJ lives on. Plus a fan base that thinks the new HC will be taking them to the SB next year.

Subtracting Bruce and winning the Chase Young race instantly made the Skins a good destination despite the owner.

25 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I was a snider apologist for a very long time, I remember being one of the last holdouts. 

You make valid points, and I still hold hope that snider can figure it out and get this team turned around. 

He definitely has passion and a desire to win but in the end results are all that matter and his results over the last 20 years have been atrocious no matter how you try to put a positive spin on it.

Make no doubt, I'm not an apologist for Snyder (Just a realist) and I'm not placing a positive spin on anything (our last 25 years have been horrible). 

I'm simply pushing back against a bad narrative. :)

4 minutes ago, Csup said:

Doc and Al are going off on how this is unfolding-Not letting a GM hire the coach. Doc in particular sounds exasperated.   

Thats assuming the GM isn't currently in house and happy with Rivera already. It seems like they will get Rivera in, offer him the HC job and ratify the FO structure all at once. That's my take, so that they are all on board from day one.

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Thats assuming the GM isn't currently in house and happy with Rivera already. It seems like they will get Rivera in, offer him the HC job and ratify the FO structure all at once. That's my take, so that they are all on board from day one.

If you are going to promote from in house, then promote from in house.

Name the dude, give him the big presser, and let him make the big announcement of the new head coach.

Once again, Ashburn runs like the Kremlin in the 1970s and the Vatican in the 1470s. All mystery and maneuvering.

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

The only thing Mayfield has proven is that he's regressed a lot since his rookie year and that he can do lots of commercials. 

His head got awfully big after that rookie season, and he let his opinion be known on everyone and everything. Dude ran his mouth all offseason like he was king ****, and paid the price for it this year by sucking ass.

I enjoyed watching his season go down in flames.

A lot of you are working off the premise that the formal announcement has been made about Rivera in terms of Callahan still here, no GM has been hired, no other organizational changes have been made yet.

As far as I know, there has been no formal announcement. Until then there is no reason for any type of announcement about the rest of the FO structure.  For all we know when they make the formal announcement it will come with the rest of the structure. It will certainly come with what Callaghan role will be if there is to be one. 

May be worth waiting for the official announcement before making any decisions on the process or impact. I realize that's a lot to ask for. We already apparently have Chase Young on our team chasing QBs (pun intended) and the draft is still 4 months away! 

25 minutes ago, dc1 said:

Make no doubt, I'm not an apologist for Snyder (Just a realist) and I'm not placing a positive spin on anything (our last 25 years have been horrible). 

Sounds more like devil's advocate when your in the one percentile, but it's an opinion and your entitled to it.

35 minutes ago, mistertim said:

The only thing Mayfield has proven is that he's regressed a lot since his rookie year and that he can do lots of commercials. 

He may be a coach killer.

I would take Haskins over him in a second. Far less drama -- even with the selfie! -- and way more upside. Everything looks so hard for Baker on the field even when playing well.

19 minutes ago, dc1 said:

Below is the exact definition of an apologist - which fits your comments 100% accurately.

Dan Snyder owns what happens to this team - period. You can make all the poor pitiful Dan is just trying to do the right thing but it turned sour all you want. But in the end he has created a caustic culture where people consistently under perform. 

I have first hand accounts from past players on the types of things Dan does to create a poor culture (I am not the only one just one of many). One that reminds everyone it's all about making a few dollars not about fostering a teaching environment that welcomes past players without trying to make a buck off them. For example, most teams have a suite or group of tickets dedicated to past players to watch games together and not have fans too close. Dan forces them to go into suites of his buddies and entertain. That is just one of many examples of how he creates a poor culture. 

Now you are of course entitled to believe what you want. However, you are not being a realist when there are mountains of data that refute your contention that the problems with Dan are a bad narrative, that he has just been unlucky. You are indeed a Dan apologist - which again you are entitled to. Just own it. 

image.png.fa27bf882f5d802f904db868f2a9cd8c.png

Archived