Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

12 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Am I the only one kind of "meh" about the prospect of hiring Rivera?  Seems odd, unless the intention is to make him essentially the GM as well, to hire him instead of hiring a GM who would then hire a coach.  

Geez, that has become a ridiculous mantra around here lately, repeated endlessly.

I guarantee there isn't a franchise in existence where the GM makes major hires without the owner's input. You guys all seem to think that the GM is the SOLE authority on who the coach will be.

A gm can recommend, but in the end if the owner isn't ok with it, it ain't gonna fly since he's the one who writes the checks.

Rivera is a respected and disciplined coach, nobody has anything bad to say about the guy, ever.

So should we wait for some mystery gm to come up with some magical candidate while a highly respected coach who seems interested is siting there?

No.. you get the guy you want and then fill in the rest the best you're able.

At this point any gm not named bruce would be an upgrade, so what if the new one is an internal hire or one who WANTS to work with Rivera?

16 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think any GM who comes in here would see Haskins as a guy to evaluate with a new coach.  

And I think that’s probably good enough for Dan.  

If those two things are true, I have zero issue.  Maybe I didn't explain myself clear enough, because I am not a Haskins detractor or anything, I am still in the "we don't know yet" camp.  As long as Snyder is giving the new GM & Coach full control over evaluating the personnel and playing who they feel is the best for the team?  Gravy!  I was just more concerned with Snyder himself being so convinced that Haskins is the franchise QB that he is going to make it some kind of "unspoken demand" that the coach is required to "make it work with Haskins" regardless.

I think it's funny how the national media said the Skins wouldn't get a quality coach and raved about how Rivera would be the most sought after HC this offseason then when they found out the Skins were going to make hire him all are like what is he thinking, it'll never work, etc.  Much like some of the posters on this site.  LMAO

23 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

"Wants a GM that shares his vision on Dwayne Haskins"  OMG please let this be false.    If this is true, then Snyder has learned nothing.  

Sorry, are you saying you want to hire a GM who doesn’t support our potential franchise QB? How does that make any sense? We talk about coaches molding scheme to existing talent all the time but for some reason that doesn’t extend to FO personnel? Sheesh!

15 minutes ago, Veretax said:

1. This is the first I've heard about any coach linked to us (other than Lewis)
2. We've seen this story play out in the media before, first coach is often NOT the actual hire (I like Ron, I think he's a quality hire, maybe not the best hire, but maybe the hire we need.)
3. With FO shake up, you have to wonder what the timeline on selecting a GM is.  If we will even have at true GM at this point  (lots of radio personalities have covered this one.)

Points well taken. The Redskins have operated backwards since Dan took ownership of this team.

Since the Giant's released Schumur and the Brown's released Kitchens, Ron is definitely in demand.  He is going to get paid very well.

Hopefully you are right that Dan reached out awhile back, kept it under wraps, and Riveria is sincerely interested.  It is a great group of young talent he can mold with the right Assistants in place IMO.  There is definitely some talent on the roster.

I appreciate the clarification for sure.  I am always open to anyone's insights on who would be best for the Skins team based on its composition. 

I heard the rumors about Lewis and was not excited at all about the prospects of him coming here.  Riveria is the only coach that piqued my interest because I think he fits the needs of this team at this point.

Now we have to hope Dan does not meddle and just lets these guys do their job.

4 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Sorry, are you saying you want to hire a GM who doesn’t support our potential franchise QB? How does that make any sense? We talk about coaches molding scheme to existing talent all the time but for some reason that doesn’t extend to FO personnel? Sheesh!

No. Not what I am saying, but I already elaborated in a reply to someone who beat you to the quote!

6 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I was just more concerned with Snyder himself being so convinced that Haskins is the franchise QB that he is going to make it some kind of "unspoken demand" that the coach is required to "make it work with Haskins" regardless.

That is my fear as well.  Snyder should not be making these decisions on players to draft and play.

3 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

No. Not what I am saying, but I already elaborated in a reply to someone who beat you to the quote!

D’oh! Threads moving too fast today! 

I agree with you in that case - I think any reasonable person would expect “Haskins has great potential, let’s give him time to put it together” rather than “Haskins is THE guy whether he continues to improve or not”. 

but it would be a waste to hire a GM who doesn’t like him outright. He’s the guy till he proves he’s not and that was cemented when we picked him at 15 last year.

14 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

So should we wait for some mystery gm to come up with some magical candidate while a highly respected coach who seems interested is siting there?

If you are going to hire Rivera, you give him full personnel control and don't worry about a GM.  

And forgive me for not being 100% optimistic behind another Snyder decision.  Shanahan was a respected and disciplined coach and look what happened with him.  Same with Schottenheimer.  I'm actually amazed at how many people are excited for this potential hire.  I think the large reason why is the euphoria of "anyone but Bruce" being in charge.  

46 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Below is the exact definition of an apologist - which fits your comments 100% accurately.

Dan Snyder owns what happens to this team - period. You can make all the poor pitiful Dan is just trying to do the right thing but it turned sour all you want. But in the end he has created a caustic culture where people consistently under perform. 

I have first hand accounts from past players on the types of things Dan does to create a poor culture (I am not the only one just one of many). One that reminds everyone it's all about making a few dollars not about fostering a teaching environment that welcomes past players without trying to make a buck off them. For example, most teams have a suite or group of tickets dedicated to past players to watch games together and not have fans too close. Dan forces them to go into suites of his buddies and entertain. That is just one of many examples of how he creates a poor culture. 

Now you are of course entitled to believe what you want. However, you are not being a realist when there are mountains of data that refute your contention that the problems with Dan are a bad narrative, that he has just been unlucky. You are indeed a Dan apologist - which again you are entitled to. Just own it. 

image.png.fa27bf882f5d802f904db868f2a9cd8c.png

I can go tick for tack on all the extreme bullish and di¢k movies Snyder has pulled as an owner over the years.  However, thats not what I was responding to

(In fact, show me a billionaire that's picked up a NFL team within the past 40 years that isn't bullish and I'll show you a leprechaun).

This particular discussion was in reference to Snyder as an outlier in the worst category of ownership.  

My point was that most of the arguments used to justify him as the "Titanic" of owners are flimsy when compared to the other 21 teams that have not won a SB in the last 20 years.

Now...if you want to talk about his totality of personal and business behaviors on public record, then thats another conversation.

Good dialogue thou,. With or without definitions ;)

27 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Am I the only one kind of "meh" about the prospect of hiring Rivera?  Seems odd, unless the intention is to make him essentially the GM as well, to hire him instead of hiring a GM who would then hire a coach.  

I wouldn't say I'm thrilled, but I think Rivera brings a lot of positives.  We are in much better shape right now (assuming Rivera is hired, and we know BA is gone) than we were yesterday.  

I am very happy to hear about Rivera as a leader.  Players love and respect him, he is a no nonsense kinda guy, and he is not manusky!  There will actually be a well respected defensive mind running the show with some young talented players.  I'm excited to see what he can do.

My reservation with Rivera is based on results.   Carolina had a lot of talent on those teams.  An above average QB maybe borderline elite, keuchly, Thomas Davis, jared Allen, lotulelei, short, Shaq Thompson, Norman in his prime.  I know they made a super bowl, but I'm concerned about the lack of sustained success with a very talented group of players.  3 winning seasons out of 9 with that core?  

Time will tell, but I'm ok with the hire.  With all the drama, discipline and ethical issues, we need someone to come in restore order, and give the Redskins a good name again.  At the very least, Rivera will do that.  And with some savvy personnel additions and a good staff to support him, we could very well be a formidable presence with Rivera at the helm.  

It will be an exciting development, that's for sure!!  

23 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Hiring Rivera is bucking the "got to go find the next young hot shot O-coordinator" trend, which is fine by me.  The 49ers are who they are right now because of that defense. 

I, i think, like you view Rivera as a means to an end rather than the end state itself. I'm looking for the foundations of a solid organization to be build and I think Rivera can do it even if he might not be, ultimately, the one to take us to the promise land during his tenure.

26 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Hiring Rivera is bucking the "got to go find the next young hot shot O-coordinator" trend, which is fine by me.  The 49ers are who they are right now because of that defense. 

It certainly helps.

They also lead the league with more than 70 20+ yard offensive plays this season...and not a single one of them came on a broken play. All schemed. 

So I'd say they can thank Shanahan's offense as well. 

Can anyone elaborate on why Rivera was let go by Carolina. I understand Cam been injured, team under performing etc. but was it more of a "time to try something different" on the part of Carolina or perhaps not seeing eye to eye with the front office and personnel decisions. Anyone have any insight?

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Today is great. Bruce out, a respected defensive HC that's smart enough to stay outta the OCs way, probably keeping Smith Schaffer and KoC.  What a great start to a turn around. Not to mention 2nd pick, a bunch of cap space. It's the perfect storm if you ask me.

Gotta give credit to Dan when credit is due.  He pulled the strings here.  

Archived