Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

14 minutes ago, Monkman56 said:

Can't possibly be any worse right?  Allen gone is big as well. Snyd's HAD to do something big right away. This franchise was the Titanic, it may have just avoided the ice berg. At least one ice berg.

This is a good analogy but used improperly. 

We are the titanic but we haven't been dodging icebergs for a long time.

We've been rotting at the bottom of the ocean.

We dont need a good captain yet we need a master ship builder. 

If that person also happens to be a good captain then so be it we're in luck.

5 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Dan Snyder is and always has been The Iceberg.

Nope.

I'm happy to be on the ship, especially knowing that Dan got damn near all of his new ownership jitters out the way for sometime now.

(The short version)

We have been in the President/GM,HC and QB hunt for well over 20 years.

I'm happy to have an owner that's willing to spend the money, fight his impulses to win now and who absolutely can't stand losing.  

7 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I've seen the lean on twitter as Urban Meyer to the Browns but who knows.  Apparently, he wants to coach in the NFL.

I think he is a good choice too.  The immaturity on the Brown's team, the circus going on there, requires someone to come in and literally restore order. If that means cutting Beckham and getting rid of Mayfield I sure as hell would do it.   I did not see a lot of respect of Kitchen's by those players.  If guys think they can get away with sideline shouting at the HC, the HC needs to go.  And then the new HC needs to make it clear, it stays "in house" and if not, your out or benched.   

1 minute ago, dc1 said:

Nope.

I'm happy to be on the ship, especially knowing that Dan got damn near all of his new ownership jitters out the way for sometime now.

(The short version)

We have been in the President/GM,HC and QB hunt for well over 20 years.

I'm happy to have an owner that's willing to spend the money, fight his impulses to win now and who absolutely can't stand losing.  

This hearkens me way back to my days reading highlights for children and trying to figure out how many things in the picture were wrong.

If he is hired, i really like it.
He is proven, he is respected. he is not a retread like many say, he's had one job. 
He knows how to win, he knows how to motivate, he knows how to delegate, and he knows how to get the most out of his players.

I will be quite interested to see what he does with his offensive coaches. I would like to see some continuity kept for Haskins sake.. i think KoC and he had begun to click, and given the differences we saw in Haskins week to week, Tim Rattay has to be given consideration to stay on as his QB coach.

Happy day!

~Bang

I think that if you simply compiled statements about the coaching and FO staff, you would come to the conclusion that KO, Alex Smith, and Kyle Smith are highly regarded around the league by teammates and peers. We should build around that. I like the idea of bringing in Rivera to help bolster a positive and strong atmosphere within the locker room. 

1 hour ago, SkinsHokieFan said:

To be fair, I do think we did that before hiring Jay. There were a slew of coaches interviewed for that role

Not really.  Jay was the guy Bruce wanted because of the TB Mafia connection.  However the Bengals made the playoffs that year so they had a week to wait around, so they talked to a few folks, and then hired Jay the minute he was available.  

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The biggest advantage you gain (other than finding the best candidate) when you sit through a professional, thorough interviewing and hiring process rather than zoning in on one guy, is that you get to hear how the brightest minds in the league see your roster, your operation, etc. You get to pick all those brains and benefit from a wealth of experience or innovation. And we never do that. 

The problem with that is if you don't have the most desirable job, and you let the candidate leave and explore other options, you risk losing the candidate.  To me it all comes down to pre-work.  You've got to do all of your homework up-front, use back-channels, and then attack fast.  

I'm not suggesting you should always hire the first guy, but if you want a candidate with options, and you don't move quickly, you will lose that candidate.  

In this case, I just have a firm belief that Dan has talked to Rivera and his agents, which he could do because Callahan is interim and Rivera was fired, beforehand, and settled on this as his number 1 target.  

I don't have a problem with this, because if Rivera ended up in NY, and Bienemy had options in lets say Cleveland (who does have talent) or maybe Dallas, you're stuck with candidates you don't particularly want.

I've actually said what the NFL should do, which would help teams AND candidates, is bar any hiring of a HC until the week before the SB.  Interview all you want, negotiate, etc.  But don't allow hires until all candidates are available to interview for all positions. And allow coaches on the SB teams to be "hired" by another team, though start after the SB.  it would be a seismic change, and it would put the new teams a bit behind the 8-ball for draft prep.  But it might actually be more helpful for minority candidates than the Rooney rule.  There would be details to work out.  And it would almost make a new "signing day" for coaches, which would be a lot of fun. 

10 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Ron and the new GM better have the last say on Haskins 

I think the reporting is that Rivera likes what he sees in Haskins, at least initially.  I think if he didn't, he wouldn't be in Ashburn today.  

10 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Larry Hess as head trainer is likely being kepy, but apparently big shakeups to training and rehab staff......

Welcome back Trent!

*EDIT: Trent is the unsung hero here. Let's reward him with a big extension

Image result for all hail the conquering hero meme

ALL HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO!!!

In regards to moving fast on rivera, if that's what it takes to get the right guy I have zero problem with that.

For starters we had the advantage of extra time to explore possibilities because we had an interim coach for months, and we certainly don't want a repeat of our search for a defensive coordinator last year.

That would be a complete and total disaster.

2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

This hearkens me way back to my days reading highlights for children and trying to figure out how many things in the picture were wrong.

Lol.  

Seriously, put on your critical thinking cap and tell me what owner got it right without an office general?  

Are you suggesting that Snyder is incapable of selected a team president and GM? Did you call out Gibbs, Shanahan or Bruce Allen as absolutely bone head decisions before anybody else?

What NFL franchise won with an owner that had tight purse strings?

Look man, it's very easy and cheap to say that Snyder is the singular problem, based on his behavior in his first 5 years of ownership.  

Just remembered, he hired Joe Gibbs in 2004.   5 years after he bought the team.

Joe had final decisions on everything through 2008.  Was that Dan's fault?

What about the hire of Mike Shanahan who also had 100% control.    In retrospect, we can all agree that Mike is/was a special kind of donkey, but who could have honestly knocked the signing and or thought it was a horrific idea to give Mike full control?

And now, after Bruce's 10 years of culture,  We are celebrating his departure.

So yeah, I guess flipped "Dan is the worst owner" bit is the going catch phrase for smart NFL fans...

Archived