Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

8 minutes ago, Art said:

Actually, I'm not overly optimistic.   But Haskins showed enough clear growth as he got more comfortable to have a chance to be an answer.   He may not be.   Guice showed enough pop and promise to be an answer.   He may not be.   McLaurin showed frighteningly good route skills, ball skills and maturity but he also might not be a good pro.   The point is the Redskins, unlike pretty much any other team, has the POSSIBILITY that all three key offensive spots are filled by players on their rookie deals who COULD be an answer.   If they are, the person with the job wins a lot in the next few years.   If they are not, they are not and the person won't get demolished for it as they are inherited.   It's attractive all around.   As for rebuilding the offensive line, I'm not sure I agree.   We have to bring our best lineman back, Flowers.   We probably will re-sign Scherff.  And don't be surprised with Bruce gone Trent comes back.   And defensive personnel is quite interesting for a 4-3, with or without Young.

So, I have a few old contacts, many gone from the team, but many who were there when Norv was there and who are friends with Norv and have relayed to me Rivera has asked Norv's view and Norv flatly said Snyder is a good owner in that he'll give what he's asked.   But he isn't that wonderful if he does that and it doesn't work out.   Which is pretty much an exact quote from Gibbs and Beathard with Cooke who Snyder continues to try to model himself after.   Look up Gibbs cackling about Cooke telling him, "You better be right."   As for the job being attractive, no, it wasn't an instant thing.   

A year ago at this time it was an atrocious job.   Smith was an albatross.   The team wanted Manusky gone, but couldn't force Gruden to make him gone, because Gruden was, sadly, the best option to coach the team in that condition.   Simply acquiring the draft picks didn't make it an attractive job either.   It became more and more attractive as Haskins went from complete dolt to clearly promising.   And as McLaurin built on what he had.   And when Guice showed so much pop.   Suddenly a team devoid in the skill positions had people who could be there.   Based on what they showed.   It became better largely when Haskins clearly started to not suck.   Not to say he won't still suck, but he did stop sucking a bit :).   It became very attractive because of those three largely and Sims sneaking in maybe.   And the defense, for a defensive coach, is 10 to 15 spots better just by them calling the plays.   

No, and it won't be and I agree.   I really want KOC to stay to keep the growth with Haskins.   

Right.   People are funny.   People think Rivera who has TONS of options didn't both look out at all of them before him AND internally to his friends on his staff to determine if he wanted to consider Washington.   The very fact Norv was here and was with Rivera there and Rivera is coming here speaks volumes.   Not that those who don't get that will ever notice though :).

Appreciate the inside info.  Dan does seem to have a way about him at times.  He's certainly had his faults over the years that don't need to be rehashed but he's been magnetic enough to get what he wants, usually.  Yes the money talks.  The players seem to like him, of course.  The media obviously doesn't like him but I am willing to bet that part of the reason they don't like him is that he doesn't make himself accessible to them...and the media, thinking they're entitled to everyone and everything, don't understand why Dan doesn't want to give an interview.  But I digress.

I agree that you could see some flashes this year when you had Haskins, Guice and McLaurin all doing good things.  Haskins did grow this year and I hope KOC is retained, too.

On top of that, it's a terrible conference so we're not as far from the top as we could be if Philly and Dallas were actually legit and not Forrest Gumping their way to winning the division.  

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Appreciate the inside info.  Dan does seem to have a way about him at times.  He's certainly had his faults over the years that don't need to be rehashed but he's been magnetic enough to get what he wants, usually.  Yes the money talks.  The players seem to like him, of course.  The media obviously doesn't like him but I am willing to bet that part of the reason they don't like him is that he doesn't make himself accessible to them...and the media, thinking they're entitled to everyone and everything, don't understand why Dan doesn't want to give an interview.  But I digress.

I agree that you could see some flashes this year when you had Haskins, Guice and McLaurin all doing good things.  Haskins did grow this year and I hope KOC is retained, too.

On top of that, it's a terrible conference so we're not as far from the top as we could be if Philly and Dallas were actually legit and not Forrest Gumping their way to winning the division.  

Your assessment on the media is dead on.   It is a fact the players love Snyder.   You rarely hear what he does for them, but when you do it's always the same.   He's there for them and NOT just for the big time stars.   He is a fan, like us, so like us, he's a bit of a jock sniffer.   The fact that Raheem Morris and Marvin Lewis even came up on the process, two guys who were here and might be willing to come back, tells you a ton.   The fact our top pick for a head coach has us as his top pick WHILE having a coach on his staff we fired tells you a ton.   Snyder's image issue is the media doesn't get the time of day from him.   

All you need to know about the stupidity of the media, and the fans who follow, is when you see the media write about Louis Riddick possibly being a GM for us and the fans saying how great that would be.   That's PURE media creation.  Riddick is in the media.   He's one of them.  They want him in an NFL office.   But he's wholly unqualified.   He wasn't good HERE.   He has done less in his career than Vinny had before going into the media and while he is FAR better as a media guy than Vinny ever was, he's simply not a guy you'd want to take a chance on until he's had that job somewhere else and done acceptably well.

Snyder has flaws.   People on the business side are usually total ****s, because in business Snyder is a total ****.   He's an elitist who holds himself out of reach not just from the media but from anyone.   But as an owner for his players and football people he's exactly what they want because he won't ever tell them no.   He just won't hold their hands if he says yes and it was stupid.   :).

37 minutes ago, AldersonRedskinFan said:

Haskins will develop more and more into a passer. Newton has never been a qb imo who can win a game with his arm. His legs were his game and in crunch moments he couldn’t handle the pressure.

I always thought Carolina couldve put better talent around him on offense. Specifically at WR. McClaurin may be better than 90% of the WRs Cam played with.  Before a lot of the injuries kicked in, Cam had a cannon with pretty good accuracy. If he had to run because his WRs couldnt get separation, Im not going to hold that against him. Never did.....

Snyder sucks. His win/loss record would be enough proof of that without going into the number of coaching changes, the free agent busts, the bad trades, the ice cream on our DC's desk, the QB having Thanksgiving dinner with him, the Vinny, the Bruce, the Zorn, the suing fans, the suing tiny little newspapers, the confiscating signs, etc, etc, etc.

10 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

These tweets are good and all, but, for the record, the Panthers were the No. 1 offense by points and 11th by yards in 2015.   And when they've been good, they've had good offenses.   I would not say Rivera has stamped his team as a defense only or even necessarily a defense led group.   Cam has been a good pro :).

I like the way Dan is moving fast on this. Too many times we have sat and watched the train leave the station. I'm sure the GM, exec type roles are lined up in the background. Several viable options have been highlighted.

Rivera as HC, Wilks as DC would also be a solid move. Not sure about KOC fully running the offense yet, will see what gives there.

Overall, get Rivera in today. Get Bruce out today. I'd be very happy with that.

I like Ron’s offense but I don’t know how much input he had in who got drafted over the years on the O side of the ball. Guys like Kelvin Benjamin and Funchess were supposed to help Newton but they never developed. By the time they fielded a lethal team around the QB (samuels, Moore, CmC) Newton was already too beat up. Shame as it would have been fun to see what that offense could have done when they were all healthy.

7 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I’m going to keep saying this, the GM does not need to pick the coach.  If you want a coach to pick the GM., that’s fine.  

Presumably Eric Schaffer gets promoted to EVP or something over football ops, and he’s in on the hire.  

Ron will evaluate the Scouting department and then they’ll name a GM with roster control after the draft. 

The GM and the coach need to be a team.  One compliments the other.  There’s no reason to have the coach work for the GM.  At least not anymore.  Nor, in my opinion should the GM work for the coach.  They should be equal in authority.  With a higher up exec there to be a tiebreaker if necessary.  But the two should be working 100% together.  

Good question.  I haven’t heard any speculation about that yet. 

While I agree that the GM and coach need to work together I disagree that they should have equal power, that would lead to Snyder casting the tie breaking vote. No IMO the GM decides who comes and the coach decides who stays.

If this rumor is true this is the best case scenario.  Rivera took a 1 win team and had them winning the division very quickly. We already believe we have talent in house for the front office, let's promote those guys rather than lose talent to another team. Again.

I'm in the camp of not being overly excited about Rivera being our next HC. However, I do believe we could do much worse. I think we'll get a stand-up guy, who is well respected and those two traits alone are a breath of fresh air for this franchise.

Going the retread route hasn't been a horrible move for Snyder and you can argue that his three best coaching hires, Schottenheimer, Gibbs and Shanahan, were all retreads. I also like the fact that if you're going to hire a guy with past head coaching experience, you go with a guy that has never won a SB elsewhere, as no HC has ever won a SB with two franchises.

On the other side of that, ten coaches have won SB's as retreads, with nine of the ten doing it in their second stop. Rivera, obviously will be with his second team if he indeed is hired as our next HC. Here's the list of HC's who didn't win a SB with their first team, but did with their second one;

Weeb Ewbank- Baltimore- Won SB with NY Jets

Don Shula- Baltimore- Won multiple SB's with Miami

Mike Shanahan- Oakland- Won multiple SB's with Denver

Dick Vermeil- Philadelphia- Won SB with St. Louis

Bill Belichick- Cleveland- Won multiple SB's with NE

John Gruden- Oakland- Won SB with TB

Tony Dungy- TB- Won SB with Indianapolis

Tom Coughlin- Jacksonville- Won multiple SB's with NY Giants

Gary Kubiak- Houston- Won SB with Denver

Head coach who didn't win a SB in first two stops, but did in his third;

Pete carroll- Ny Jets, NE- Won SB with Seattle

Just food for thought more than anything else, but this at least shows that coaches who either were fired or resigned from their first head coaching job

have gone on to win SB's in their second head coaching job a bunch of times. Of course, there's a list of retread coaches who never won anything, but for positivity purposes I'm going with this angle.

What also might be a good sign for Rivera is that he had some success in his first stop. The coaches listed above, with the exception of Shanahan in Oakland, all were at least decent in their first stops. I don't think many people would argue that Rivera was at least decent in Carolina- I think I could buy into this hire! 

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I like the way Dan is moving fast on this.

" In the view of many others, Snyder is the impediment to solving problems he created. League insiders described Snyder as an owner who has dialed back his involvement with football decisions, but one who still struggles to trust and listen to the people he hires, particularly when their opinions conflict with his.

“As long as Dan’s there, they don’t have a chance,” one former high-ranking Redskins official said."

"The league office doesn’t want to touch that guy with a 10-foot pole,” the NFL power broker said. “They know he’s just going to scream and yell and get mad. It’s like, what’s the point?”

“He just doesn't like a lot of the other owners, and he's a tough personality,” one high-ranking member of an NFL organization said. “I do know he cares about the Redskins and wants to win, and I think he's frustrated he doesn't know how to.” Link

He should have dumped Allen a long way ago, Trent should have been traded for a king's ransom to the Texans. Waiting, waiting, and then the logical conclusion : missed oportunities leading to knee jerking, panic moves.

What will happen in the upcoming days is going to be very interesting. Bracing for impact ;)

The biggest advantage you gain (other than finding the best candidate) when you sit through a professional, thorough interviewing and hiring process rather than zoning in on one guy, is that you get to hear how the brightest minds in the league see your roster, your operation, etc. You get to pick all those brains and benefit from a wealth of experience or innovation. And we never do that. 

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The biggest advantage you gain (other than finding the best candidate) when you sit through a professional, thorough interviewing and hiring process rather than zoning in on one guy, is that you get to hear how the brightest minds in the league see your roster, your operation, etc. You get to pick all those brains and benefit from a wealth of experience or innovation. And we never do that. 

To be fair, I do think we did that before hiring Jay. There were a slew of coaches interviewed for that role

Ron Rivera is among the best possible moves that the team could make as its HC.

And I've been saying the same as Art in regards to Snyder and the players. People were upset he was in the locker room with Haskins, but he legitimately cares about the players and their health. He always has. 

Snyder has been bad because he can't help himself when it comes to being involved in the player personnel department. He stays away, but I think the urge to get the fans to buy into him makes him want to pull the trigger on some of these guys so he can get some credit and see himself as liked. I think that's important to him (and that's my opinion as someone who has never met him and doesn't know him). 

That's Snyder's short fall. Minus a Cerrato or Allen type, I think we see a different Snyder. He has been influenced by the men he trusts. With Cerrato he was a big spender. With Gibbs he made some better choices, but Cerrato and him couldn't resist a few big splashes. With Allen he stopped spending as much. He is absolutely influenced by the people he trusts. In this new regime*, my hope is that he finds someone to trust who understands the process and how things work. And to be honest, I think Alex Smith is a great candidate for doing that as long as he's on board with the new regime's* vision. 

Snyder is not the devil. He just puts his trust in bad people. And that is what has led us to here. He's not a good evaluator. 

*-denotes Allen being removed

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I like Ron’s offense but I don’t know how much input he had in who got drafted over the years on the O side of the ball. Guys like Kelvin Benjamin and Funchess were supposed to help Newton but they never developed. By the time they fielded a lethal team around the QB (samuels, Moore, CmC) Newton was already too beat up. Shame as it would have been fun to see what that offense could have done when they were all healthy.

A positve for us seems to be that this year we were damn good at picking and developing WRs. Was there a twitter post yesterday crediting Hilliard for that in particular? Either way, I like our chances of getting a solid mid round WR in this deep draft. It's now a TE we really need badly.

On another note, a swift hire of Rivera won't have a negative effect on us formalising the GM/Exec positions. I'd imagine he is very well respected and highly regarded. 

32 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Ron Rivera is among the best possible moves that the team could make as its HC.

And I've been saying the same as Art in regards to Snyder and the players. People were upset he was in the locker room with Haskins, but he legitimately cares about the players and their health. He always has. 

Snyder has been bad because he can't help himself when it comes to being involved in the player personnel department. He stays away, but I think the urge to get the fans to buy into him makes him want to pull the trigger on some of these guys so he can get some credit and see himself as liked. I think that's important to him (and that's my opinion as someone who has never met him and doesn't know him). 

That's Snyder's short fall. Minus a Cerrato or Allen type, I think we see a different Snyder. He has been influenced by the men he trusts. With Cerrato he was a big spender. With Gibbs he made some better choices, but Cerrato and him couldn't resist a few big splashes. With Allen he stopped spending as much. He is absolutely influenced by the people he trusts. In this new regime*, my hope is that he finds someone to trust who understands the process and how things work. And to be honest, I think Alex Smith is a great candidate for doing that as long as he's on board with the new regime's* vision. 

Snyder is not the devil. He just puts his trust in bad people. And that is what has led us to here. He's not a good evaluator. 

*-denotes Allen being removed

Is he?  Why is he among the "best possible moves" exactly?  Says who?  Dan?  Therein lies the rub.

It's nice that Dan "legitimately cares about his players",...he should, but seriously, who cares.  As the owner of an NFL team your main concern/job should be to hire a good football person(s), ie GM, and then they run the football side of things from there -- hiring an HC, personal, culture, etc.  

Your defense of Snyder and his ways is admirable on a certain level, but ultimately his track record as owner speaks for itself and I'm not gonna go over it because it would take hours -- I think most on this board know the lowlights.

Dan has a real opportunity, right now, to do something completely different than what he's done and the past and truly change things for the football team.  Him hiring Rivera and then simply promoting people from within after the fact (here Ron, use these guys) is more of the same.  So, why would I or any other fan be hopeful if that happens?  Bruce being gone is very, very good,....now, follow through and do the right thing Dan.  Actually, if Dan is hiring Ron as the overall football guy/GM, I think that would be much more acceptable.  Then, let him hire who he wants -- if that happens to be people already there (after appropriate interviews), so be it.

Archived