Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

Just now, SkinsFTW said:

None of that means that he's going to win anything here but he shouldn't have a problem bringing in his own guys. Now if he doesn't bring in all new replacements for everybody then that will seem a little odd.

My guess is that there is at most 1 remaining defensive coach.  I have been off-line for about 45 minutes, so I don't know if there has been anything about firings yet.  

But I would assume MAYBE 1 coach survives off the defensive side of the ball, and that coach would be Ray Horton.  I doubt anybody else does.

On the offensive side, if the plan is to keep Kevin O'Connell as OC, which I am personally in favor of because of the continuity it provides Haskins, and they seem to have been developing a bit of a rapport recently, then there might a coach or two from the offensive staff which sticks around.  Ike Hilliard potentially?  Don't know.  But there might be more continuity there since they might be keeping the OC.

I can't imagine the ST guy sticks around. 

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I think I read his wife did some work with the Washington Mystics at some point in time.

She was an assistant coach for the Mystics. Her name is Stephanie.  And I learned that tonight from the same tweet you read somewhere. :) 

I'm good with Riverboat Ron.  Anyone that played for the '85 Bears is good with me (even you, Singletary).  

I think his personality would be a welcome change, he's a not here to make friends.

I am not sure why he would want to come here, though, especially with other openings in the NFL.  There's not much appealing to this job on a number of different levels.  You can make money anywhere if you're a coach.  I don't understand the desire to coach here if the dollars are similar to other places.  Less headaches in other places...I don't know who the other owners are but I am pretty positive they're not regarded as the worst in the NFL and in the running for all of sports.  I don't know much about the other fan bases but you'd be hard pressed to find a more dwindling group than this one.  I don't know much about the other facilities but you'd be hard pressed to find stuff more outdated and uninspiring than what you've got in Ashburn/Raljon.  

So count me skeptical that they're this close to a deal as being reported.  I can't imagine being a strong candidate for a job and taking the first offer for the ****tiest organization of all the suitors out there without interviewing elsewhere, too.  It'd have to be a sweetheart of a deal, giving Rivera a lot of say-so in the grocery shopping and keeping Dan away from everything.  And we've been down that road before, we know how that story ends.

27 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Why? He did okay considering the Bengals employ more janitors than scouts, but not to the point where you'd want to tap him for this kind of position. Pointless. 

Well his coaching, talent evaluation, etc. Plus I am familiar with him since he is from my area and all the coaches I know love him. He did well for what he was given and the program has gone downhill since he has been gone.

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I am not sure why he would want to come here, though, especially with other openings in the NFL...

Lot of times when you are older and have stayed in one place for 9 years you want a job closer to your home without having to uproot and to move somewhere else. It might not make sense for some but it does for me. 

You also are getting a team with some very young players and a #2 draft pick to work with. The guys on our D are good but not coached properly. We have some really good WRs too. Haskins can benefit from Rivera a lot as well. So there is lot of POSITIVES here that you are perhaps not seeing and only a coach can. I can go on but hopefully you get what I am trying to say. 

Just now, zskins said:

Lot of times when you are older and have stayed in one place for 9 years you want a job closer to your home without having to uproot and to move somewhere else. It might not make sense for some but it does for me. 

You also are getting a team with some very young players and a #2 draft pick to work with. The guys on our D are good but not coached properly. We have some really good WRs too. Haskins can benefit from Rivera a lot as well. So there is lot of POSITIVES here that you are perhaps not seeing and only a coach can. I can go on but hopefully you get what I am trying to say. 

I will agree that there are positives.  There are some things here to like, but other teams have other things to like, too.  I'm not saying theirs are better than ours or vice versa but it's not like we're the only team out there with a some good young talent.

I understand the want to be closer to home but I'd hope that the coach I'm hiring just wants to win and isn't picking my team because he's close to home.  I'd want him to want to create a legacy here and want to be coaching here because he thinks this is the best place to be not including geography.

14 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I am not sure why he would want to come here, though, especially with other openings in the NFL. 

Because, maybe, JUST MAYBE, this is, outside of Houston which is not available, the best job in the NFL to take over as a coach looking to win and not having the obligation of a complete rebuild.   Why would he want to go to a place that doesn't have a potential QB, RB, WR1, WR2 all on rookie deals?   Obviously none of those players could work out, but this is the most attractive personnel out there given the contracts and potential.   Snyder will pay better than others.   AND Rivera has Norv Turner on his staff who he went to and asked and Norv told him, "You won't lack for anything you ask for.   But he'll **** you if you're not right most of the time."   It's a very attractive job. 

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I will agree that there are positives.  There are some things here to like, but other teams have other things to like, too.  I'm not saying theirs are better than ours or vice versa but it's not like we're the only team out there with a some good young talent.

I understand the want to be closer to home but I'd hope that the coach I'm hiring just wants to win and isn't picking my team because he's close to home.  I'd want him to want to create a legacy here and want to be coaching here because he thinks this is the best place to be not including geography.

I get what you are saying and all I am saying is that he is seeing the best of both. Closer to home and have a chance to build something/legacy as you are saying. It might be a win-win for him in that regards. 

Edit: And what Art said as well. :)

25 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I can't imagine the ST guy sticks around. 

27 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I would love it if he stuck around. Not saying he was a legend but we had a blocked punt, a return td and coverage was good. Unless Ron has somebody he likes better or has an ongoing beef with our guy, I see no reason not to keep him. It should be Ron's decision, but I think he should have a chance

Your take is very optimistic @Art.  I don’t view the coaching job as a very desirable situation.  On offense, the only player who has shown that they are likely an all star candidate is Terry McLaurin.  Haskins is a project and may pan out, but it’s too early to say.  Same with the rest of the rookies.

We need to rebuild the offensive line and the defense is inconsistent (something that Rivera would likely shape up, but not a given).  Of course there’s also Snyder.  The aimless rudder of a ghost ship, traveling to nowhere.

Not ideal if you ask me.  But, maybe Rivera wants a challenge.

1 minute ago, Art said:

Because, maybe, JUST MAYBE, this is, outside of Houston which is not available, the best job in the NFL to take over as a coach looking to win and not having the obligation of a complete rebuild.   Why would he want to go to a place that doesn't have a potential QB, RB, WR1, WR2 all on rookie deals?   Obviously none of those players could work out, but this is the most attractive personnel out there given the contracts and potential.   Snyder will pay better than others.   AND Rivera has Norv Turner on his staff who he went to and asked and Norv told him, "You won't lack for anything you ask for.   But he'll **** you if you're not right most of the time."   It's a very attractive job. 

Art, I'll have what you're having.  :ols:  Were you there when Norv told him that?

Jokes aside, I agree...there are SOME things to like here, yes there are rookie contracts at key positions.  But let's rewind to where we were weeks ago when Gruden was fired and we were all calling this a dumpster fire, who'd want to come here, who'd want to work for Dan, etc.  All of a sudden Haskins flashed, the season is over, we've got a #2 pick and this is a great opportunity?  Nah, not buying it.  How many times have we been here?  What's next, the introductory press conference with the new coach standing behind the podium with three dusty ass Lombardi trophies in front of him and mentions of "a great tradition, a great history...." etc?

It's like the calendar hits January and Redskins fans think their team is the prom queen...every.  Single.  Year.  Meanwhile we trash this organization hard from the first lackluster preseason showing all the way up to the last loss of a season, another season where the team sleepwalked through the final week.  And now in an instant, this is a hot opportunity?  This is an attractive job?  

6 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I would love it if he stuck around. Not saying he was a legend but we had a blocked punt, a return td and coverage was good. Unless Ron has somebody he likes better or has an ongoing beef with our guy, I see no reason not to keep him. It should be Ron's decision, but I think he should have a chance

I don’t disagree, but ST guys tend to hop around a bunch.  Shrug.  I have no idea.  I was just  assuming Ron had a ST guy he liked.  

I can definitely see the attraction of the job for him if Bruce is truly out of the way (and I think that is absolutely key and how we can go from a dumpster fire that nobody wants a part of to a potentially attractive coaching opportunity). He'll have control over personnel, and we have a roster full of young talent practically begging for competent coaching. On defense we have Sweat, Ioan, Allen, Payne, hopefully Foster, and hopefully Chase Young. On offense we have Haskins, McLauren, Guice, Sims, Harmon, hopefully Love. All are young and all have plenty of talent and potential. As @Artsaid he won't have to come in and do a rebuild from scratch. Just make proper use of what we have and develop them while complimenting and adding pieces as we go. Plus Snyder will basically pay him whatever he wants. 

12 minutes ago, Art said:

You won't lack for anything you ask for.   But he'll **** you if you're not right most of the time." 

I haven’t seen this quote.  Is it published anywhere?

1 minute ago, zskins said:

One has to wonder....Would it be weird for Norv to come back to the Skins, or Dan for that matter...lol

It would be. 

But i think the plan seems to be to keep KOC for Haskins continuity. 

5 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

It's obvious he's too good of a coach for this organization.  After guys that are softer than puppy **** like Zorn and Gruden, "players coaches" who guys like Chris Thompson shed tears for, Rivera is the anti-Redskin.  He's the anti-Snyder.  I don't think Shanny red face was that fiesty, especially towards the end.

Don't get me wrong, I hope we do get Rivera, I just don't understand why he'd want to come here.  Time to see if a guy like Jonathan Allen, with all his bluster, bravado and tough guy swagger is going to respond to a coach who tells him that he's not good enough and he's not getting it done.  Time to see if Haskins pouts when a coach comes down on him or comes back harder and ready to go.   Time to see who shapes up and ships out.  

The two things I like most about him, right now with as little as I know at least, is that...

1) He’s clearly viewed as super classy by everyone who knows him and;

2) He understands that a coach shouldn’t have final say on personnel outside of picking the active 46:

He’s smart for saying that.

That being said, Dan has shown little to no idea how to structure an organization and just might hand it to him anyway... and it might be too enticing for him to turn down to his own detriment. 😕 

1 hour ago, Art said:

Not only is Rivera respected.   But Rivera's offensive coordinator was fired by and worked for Dan Snyder.   Anyone think he asked Norv his view on this organization and Snyder?   And anyone surprised he still has this as his top job?   I'm not.   But I know a lot of folks here likely would be given that.

Interesting, I hadn't really considered that. I wonder if Norv and Dan have a good relationship. I know Troy Aikman was so mad at Dan when he fired Norv, thinking he wasn't given a chance. But most of us Skins fans thought the opposite, that Norv was given too many chances but most of us were tired of his all offense and no defense teams. 

Whoever is interviewing better not be told any kind of nonsense like "We need to make it work with Haskins"   I am still neutral on Haskins. The "too early to say either way" camp, but I also know that any NFL caliber coach is going to see so much on film that I would ever comprehend.  

What if Ron Rivera says there is no future for Haskins as an NFL QB during his interview?

I know these are all extreme scenarios, but my biggest wish for the next group of hires is not necessarily that they be a big name, or have 20 years of experience, but that they are allowed to do their jobs and partner with the new GM to build/coach the team the way they see fit without the owner deciding he wants to draft folks based on a few college highlights packages. 

3 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

The two things I like most about him, right now with as little as I know at least, is that...

1) He’s clearly viewed as super classy by everyone who knows him and;

2) He understands that a coach shouldn’t have final say on personnel outside of picking the active 46:

He’s smart for saying that.

That being said, Dan has shown little to no idea how to structure an organization and just might hand it to him anyway... and it might be too enticing for him to turn down to his own detriment. 😕 

I do like the idea of hiring the coach first and finding the GM to work with him after.  

It's also 12:45 am, I'm not sure why I feel that way.

Archived