Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

49ers right now showing you can be a superbowl contender with a beast defense combined with an offense that is designed to run the ball and work around the QB just not screwing things up and merely throwing passes when guys tend to get super open.  (Doesn't hurt having Kittle at TE either). 

When that new D-Coordinator gets hired, we are going to find out quick if the results on defense had to do with scheme or the overrating of their talent. 

So I gotta ask, where did the seemingly sudden love for Rivera come from? Seems to have happened so quickly from an outside perspective, and he wasn't fired that long ago. Surely Snyder must have had plenty of other possibilities in mind before settling on Rivera. Is it a matter of best available? Is there something about Rivera that Snyder has always admired? I don't fully grasp what's behind this seemingly big "do anything" play to lock him up. 

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

This is a fair point and something I think this team has needed for a while. Shanny was somewhat strict but was also somewhat aloof. Gruden was a nice guy that players loved and could joke around with but he was definitely too soft IMO. Rivera is a dude who will get in people's faces and motivate them and instill discipline from day one. 

This is what I want more than anything. We need a guy to come in and instill discipline and accountability. Shanny had that back in Denver, but he was older by the time he came to DC and had taken his foot off the pedal a bit by then. Rivera is also very motivated to get right back in the saddle after being let go midseason.

So, maybe tomrrow goes like this - we find out who the mystery GM is, and then they interview Rivera and like him, so they hire him. In the press conference, DS says "So, I'd like to introduce __________ as our new GM, and Ron RIvera as our new coach. Um, if it's alright with you, Bruce Allen?"   

7 minutes ago, Blue Collar Skins said:

I like Marvin Lewis though not as a Head Coach. I could see him in the Front Office and do well

Why? He did okay considering the Bengals employ more janitors than scouts, but not to the point where you'd want to tap him for this kind of position. Pointless. 

7 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

let me guess, Carolina ran a **** ton of bend don't break

I've been unimpressed with what I've seen regarding Rivera's Panthers defenses, so don't take this in that way.

But bend don't break is real. Yardage does not matter as long as you can score on offense. Turnovers and preventing points is all that matters. 

So it is really not a done deal yet. This was also posted on NFL.com 2 hours ago. 

Rivera has a meeting with the Washington Redskins on Monday and has emerged as a top candidate for the job, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Sunday. If the meeting goes well, Rivera could end up securing the position, Rapoport added.

NFL Network's Michael Silver added that a source familiar with the Redskins' search believes that D.C. is Rivera's first choice of jobs, and that the Monday meeting is a strong sign that the the two sides are progressing toward a deal.

Rivera is exactly what this team needs. This team is in desperate need of a culture and a coach that actually holds players accountable. Rivera checks both those boxes. 

Everyone wants the next offensive genius, but this team, culture, owner, and Franchise as a whole isn’t wired for that right now. We aren’t a franchise that has the structure for a first time head coach to find his way. Rivera is established and is a winner, and by the numerous videos, isn’t afraid to call a player out while calling them a mother****er. That is what we NEED right now. 

2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I've been wondering what Rivera sees in us, and I think I've figured it out. If he coaches in Washington, then he won't have to sell his house in North Carolina. That's about all I can come up with, besides Chase Young.

It's been posted but a few things.  He likes a challenge, he likes the young talent here and he is being given more control.

21 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

So I gotta ask, where did the seemingly sudden love for Rivera come from? Seems to have happened so quickly from an outside perspective, and he wasn't fired that long ago. Surely Snyder must have had plenty of other possibilities in mind before settling on Rivera. Is it a matter of best available? Is there something about Rivera that Snyder has always admired? I don't fully grasp what's behind this seemingly big "do anything" play to lock him up. 

He's got a lot of connections to others in the league and they all seem to like him. All of the media guys like him as well which is probably where Snyder got his outside help from, guys like Casserly, Kirwin, Polian, etc all can't believe that he was fired by Carolina.

None of that means that he's going to win anything here but he shouldn't have a problem bringing in his own guys. Now if he doesn't bring in all new replacements for everybody then that will seem a little odd.

8 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

It's been posted but a few things.  He likes a challenge, he likes the young talent here and he is being given more control.

I think I read his wife did some work with the Washington Mystics at some point in time.

Archived