Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ron Rivera to be next Redskins HC (According to CSN Post-game Show)

skinfan2k

5 minutes ago, FrFan said:

"Considerable say", so meddling danny boy can still play fantasy football with the draft ?. Marty and Shany say Hi there !

I'm guessing "Considerable say" is more like he and whoever the GM is will work hand in hand and Rivera will have a voice in everything but at the end of the day the GM will make the final decisions in draft and player acquisition and Rivera will make the final decisions on who is on his roster and how to use them. That's how Rivera apparently described how he liked it from a quote that was posted here a few times. 

2 minutes ago, Hooper said:

He may be a coach killer.

I would take Haskins over him in a second. Far less drama -- even with the selfie! -- and way more upside. Everything looks so hard for Baker on the field even when playing well.

Haskins carried a higher prospect grade than Mayfield and all of Haskins' negatives were around his minimal play time, meaning vast upside with time.   Mayfield had physical negatives you can't fix.    Haskins would be a Top 5 pick this year with more time and a similar year at Ohio State.

3 minutes ago, Hooper said:

He may be a coach killer.

I would take Haskins over him in a second. Far less drama -- even with the selfie! -- and way more upside. Everything looks so hard for Baker on the field even when playing well.

Yeah Mayfield seems like he could be a real pain in the ass for a coach to have to deal with. Big mouth, bratty, thinks he's the **** when he hasn't proven anything yet and has actually regressed quite a bit. 

1 minute ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Not surprised, Rivera knows he has all the leverage in the world.  Not only is he considered the best available candidate, but after all the news that broke yesterday, imagine the egg on Snyder's face if he walks out of there.   Sure Rivera is saying, "this all sounds great, but gee, I'd really love to meet with my pal gettleman before I make a hasty decision".  Then Snyder backs up the brinks truck.  

Same old song.

3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Lovely. "say what i want to hear and you're hired" 

What could go wrong

Exactly.  So these decisions will be attributed to the new guy, but he is being given his orders today from a guy who doesn't have a clue how to build a winning team.  Snyder, you will get what you deserve.  

But why would Snyder change now?  After all, all his decisions have been the right move, the Redskins just haven't been successful due to injuries, bad luck, and Bruce and Vinny making decisions on their own that didn't pan out.  Danny is still out to show the world he has been right all along.  

Just now, RWJ said:

Hopefully, this gets completed.  I thought it was a shoe in when Allen was fired but I guess not at this point but again hopefully it gets done and both sides can come to an agreement. 

It will get done, and Rivera will be paid jon gruden-like money as far as aav, doubt he gets that long of a contract tho.  

3 hours ago, skinsmania123 said:

Why do you think he is not the guy for us?  Who do you think is better.  We have a young roster. The guy has won Coach of the Year twice.  He is a motivator and he demands discipline, while allowing guys to be themselves.  Which is essential when you have a young team.   And while he did not win the SB, how many coaches actually get their team there.  It is so hard to do.   Rivera was my first choice when I heard he was fired.  

Who do you think would be better?  

I think you are misreading into what I'm saying, so let me help decouple your deductions from my reality.

1. This is the first I've heard about any coach linked to us (other than Lewis)
2. We've seen this story play out in the media before, first coach is often NOT the actual hire (I like Ron, I think he's a quality hire, maybe not the best hire, but maybe the hire we need.)
3. With FO shake up, you have to wonder what the timeline on selecting a GM is.  If we will even have at true GM at this point  (lots of radio personalities have covered this one.)

My comments were not made to disparage Ron, or the team, simply an acknowledgement, that being patient and making the right hire may take time.   

That having been said, its entirely possible we've had Ron under wraps waiting to unpackage for several weeks.  If we already did diligence incognito that kudos to Snyder on keeping that quiet for so long.    

So to be clear, I am not Anti-Ron Rivera.  I like him as a potential hire,   He has clout and experience that Jay did not have (defensively and as Head coach)

This has all been an unusual prospect, and norms being what they are may necessarily be different.  Know one wants a repeat of the Jim Zorn hire.

I just have no expectations on a quick resolution to this, especially given, all the other positions that just opened up or will by weeks end.  Unless Ron has already signed a contract, he has more leverage than we do anyways.

I think he'd bring a great culture shift, and I like his style a lot.  He is a respected quantity which would bring some credibility back to our program, but as KevinS said this morning, it may take time for the fan base to fully trust any new hires.   We've just been snake bitten too much under Snyder.

Does that Clarify?

49 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

If you are going to promote from in house, then promote from in house.

Name the dude, give him the big presser, and let him make the big announcement of the new head coach.

Once again, Ashburn runs like the Kremlin in the 1970s and the Vatican in the 1470s. All mystery and maneuvering.

Maybe they will. Bruce was only given his papers hours ago. But yeah I get your point. The plan is clearly to get Rivera locked in quickly before he gets his head turned, which again may be easier said than done. 

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

It will get done, and Rivera will be paid jon gruden-like money as far as aav, doubt he gets that long of a contract tho.  

Agree.  I think it will be done really soon.  

Though it would be a gut punch at this point if Rivera went to NY and we ended up with Marvin Lewis.

Though I like Lewis, Rivera is a much more interesting hire. 

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

"Wants a GM that shares his vision on Dwayne Haskins"  OMG please let this be false.    If this is true, then Snyder has learned nothing.  

No way the people who weren't sure if Bruce would be fired or not just a few days ago know for sure exactly what Dan is thinking. It may be a good guess, but its a guess. 

And there is no way to know if Dan would change his mind if something happened. Or if Haskins stopped playing well. 

No way to know any of this until it happens to be honest. 

3 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

"Wants a GM that shares his vision on Dwayne Haskins"  OMG please let this be false.    If this is true, then Snyder has learned nothing.  

While I dont trust Snyder, that makes complete sense when you just drafted a QB in the first round. You think you have a franchise QB so you want someone that wants to build around the QB you drafted.

Archived