Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Just now, Califan007 said:

My fear is we end up with a repeat of what we saw with McCoy, Sanchez, and Johnson once Alex Smith was put on IR...just a rotation of QBs playing anywhere from decent to mediocre to awful the rest of the season. We also saw this in 2014 with RG3, Cousins, and McCoy. 

Okay, but what is John Beck up to?

I’m sorry, but this is a short sighted move where the benefits are only in the interim. Sure, not having an off-season May have been a factor, but we should be looking at this year as a growth and evaluation year. If there was no progress by the end of the season, you start thinking of other options. It’s too soon. So what, are we supposed to do this again next year? Not happening. 

Hail, I guess. But this is just not how you develop a young qb. 

This offense will look much better with Allen under center.

For a short period of time though. (Or very inconsistently maybe)

Eventually NFL defenses adjust to Allen because there are certain throws he can't make. 

A lot of people pointing to Allen's 2019 stats to justify him not being a capable.

But in 2019, he essentially was a rookie, and only playing a partial season. Just like Haskins.

So if it made sense to give Haskins a chance in 2020, to see if he could improve from 2019, then it certainly makes sense that Allen would be considered worthy of the same opportunity to improve on such a small sample size that he's had.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's not being honest.  After he got done pinning the losses on Dwayne and explaining that he's making this move to win and avoid losing the team, someone should have asked him why he couldn't be bothered to manage the clock in the fourth quarter of games two and three.  Why he didn't use a three level offense against one if the best teams in the league?  That media session was a train wreck.  His explanation of his decision making process is incoherent when you look at what his decisions actually were.  We've concentrated an absolutely enormous amount of responsibility and power into a man who can't handle the job right now.

so if he would have told you that he didn’t use a three level offense because he didn’t think he WB could handle it, would you have accepted that? 

He comes off as pretty honest to me. I’m not sure what else you wanted from him. He feels like he’s has to go in another direction. Obviously you disagree with that and I don’t have the chops to talk you down from that hill so I’m not really gonna try. 

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Looking at our offense as a whole apart from Terry who else starts on a good NFL team? Maybe Moses and Schreff. Thats it.

The D is good enough to win with if paired with a good O. But its not good enough to win games if the O just does not screw up. Its so so at LB and CB, Collins is not playing well at SS and we might have the worst FS in the league.

Offensive play design is questionable.

The QB is not the only problem on this team.

Gibson too, and sometimes all you need is 2 weapons on offense.

1 hour ago, IrepDC said:

Josh Allen...

According to ESPN’s Total Quarterback Rating, Haskins has been the least-valuable passer of 2020. When Haskins drops back, Washington is scoring almost five points per game fewer than expected after taking into account the down, distance and field position of each passing play, per data from TruMedia. By that metric, only Jeff Driskel, Sam Darnold and Carson Wentz have been worse this season.

To put Haskins’s futility in a broader context, here are the passers selected in the first round since 2002 who have produced similar expected-per-game output (within one point) on passing plays over their first 11 NFL starts: Brady Quinn, Kyle Boller, EJ Manuel, JaMarcus Russell, Matthew Stafford, J.P. Losman and David Carr.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You and I are of a similar mind on the situation.  Where is the tipping point for you where you lose faith in this front office and coaching staff?

Wait have you lost faith in the FO and staff already? So soon? 

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

My fear is we end up with a repeat of what we saw with McCoy, Sanchez, and Johnson once Alex Smith was put on IR...just a rotation of QBs playing anywhere from decent to mediocre to awful the rest of the season. We also saw this in 2014 with RG3, Cousins, and McCoy. Back then I was a big proponent of continuing to play Cousins instead of the QB carousel it eventually became. Keep him in and see exactly what he is or could be would have given us a better understanding of the QB he could become moving forward into 2015. Once Griffin was healthy, if Cousins was playing well you ride with him. If he was not (he wasn't lol), put in Griffin and keep HIM in there. They were both young and developing. Switching them in and out again and again wasn't the best way to proceed.

This is the problem.  If Kyle Allen looks bad, then we start Alex Smith.   Smith had a big injury, and is not a long-term solution.

The solution is to think long-term.  

The QB position is not rocket science.  Haskins showed the ability to learn last year. He has the highest ceiling due to his arm.  It's not close.

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

You and I are of a similar mind on the situation.  Where is the tipping point for you where you lose faith in this front office and coaching staff?

Look I'm a fan of this team whatever - its not logical but it's just a part of my life at this point. I will cheer Sunday and  hope Allen turns into an All Pro. But in regards ti your question the way we go about the next offseason is critical to this coaching regime and specifically how they address the QB position. That will reveal do they actually have a plan to develop a contender or are we just throwing crap at a wall here and hoping to win 8 or 9 games a year and maybe catch lightening in a bottle.

I thought there was a plan. But actions being taken make me question that now.

Just now, Llevron said:

You call him out as soon as Allen looks just as bad as Haskins. Cause then it’s only on one guy. 

It's almost never one guy.

14 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

People will eventually see what an asinine decision this was.  Which is why I'm done arguing with anyone about it until the offseason.

Me, I am done arguing. 

I was actually beginning to believe that this was an evaluation season. Now, after the 4 game in-season Pre-season, they have decided to start playing for real.

Will Akpe make the regular season team?

Will Colins be converted to a LB as he stinks too at SS? 

Can Saadiq play some TE or be used in Jumbo package? 

Oh, can we make a defensive stop when we turnover the ball or should we just take a bathroom break?

I will blow a gasket if I see this team stop playing when down double digits in the 4th quarter and the coach refuses to take timeouts because he is evaluating players and don't want them to get hurt.

4 minutes ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

Gibson too, and sometimes all you need is 2 weapons on offense.

Gibson does not start on a good NFL offense. He's would be a gadget player getting situational snaps. He might develop into a starter though.

I believe in Analytics mostly.  Analytics say Haskins has been bad. Yes, true, but even so, PFF ranked Haskins higher than many rookie QB's last year.

But does Analytics show that if you start the same QB for, say, 5 years that he can't ultimately be good?  The problem is, not much data for this analysis. The NFL benches their QB's after one bad year or two.

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

It's almost never one guy.

True. But to make sure I’m being clear, what I’m trying to say is if you change QBs and they both struggle, then I’m blaming the OC for having neither one of them prepared with a game plan that works for them and this offenses. 

that or he entered into the season with an offense he didn’t think could win and that’s almost as bad. 

Just now, Llevron said:

so if he would have told you that he didn’t use a three level offense because he didn’t think he WB could handle it, would you have accepted that? 

He comes off as pretty honest to me. I’m not sure what else you wanted from him. He feels like he’s has to go in another direction. Obviously you disagree with that and I don’t have the chops to talk you down from that hill so I’m not really gonna try. 

No because that would have been a lie too.  Haskins has been running three level offenses since he was a little kid.  Every NFL QB should be running a full offense.  I know the reason we didn't run a real offense against the Ravens was because we couldn't get their blitzes picked up, I'm not stupid.  What I want to know is why were we so unprepared to handle that system that we couldn't run an offense that gave us a legitimate chance to compete?  Why is this Dwayne's fault and his alone?  Why is he the only one who doesn't get time or the benefit of the doubt?  Why was he the one publicly singled out for the Browns loss and told that if he makes any more mistakes he was getting benched?

This is just bad coaching.  All of it.  Rivera has put the himself and the team in a position where Kyle Allen now has to come in and save the season just so Rivera doesn't look incompetent.  It's incomprehensible.

Archived