Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

I curiously perused through the Panthers' forum to see what they were saying about our move, and one guy actually wants to trade for Haskins.

Other than that, nothing real interesting.

https://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/165130-kyle-allen-starting-for-washington/

"I'm making my triumphant return to the Huddle to say we should absolutely trade for Dwayne Haskins. We would obviously have a favorable trade partner as we gave Ron Kyle Allen in the first place. Have Ron take his pick of Will Grier or PJ Walker and a 6th round pick and give us Dwayne. "

10 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

I'm the same exact way. This whole talking about tanking for picks is as loser mentality as it gets. Not a way to develop a winning culture. 

If there was ever a coach who should realize the future is now it's one undergoing proton therapy.

Rivera sees that the division is right there for the taking. He said that it might be different if the leader was 4-0 or 3-1 but with Philkly only half a game ahead he had to go for it.

He won before with a 7-9 record and he doesn't want the opportunity to slip away because they wasted the year developing one player at the expense of the team. If he's going down he's going to go down with no bullets left in his gun.

No matter where you stand on benching Haskins you gotta respect the attitude.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 3
Just now, redskins59 said:

Question.

Then how does he know that Allen is better?  Based on what? Allen finished horribly last year, while Haskins finished strong.

In all honesty, he doesn't and I don't believe he said he did. Neither does the rest of the team. So then it comes down to what you do about it. Do you keep trying to open the door that has a blazing fire that is out of control behind it and hope that it extinguishes itself the 5th time you open it, or do you try a different door?

11 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

Also, you can write 100 lines about this, but it was reported quite often that Haskins looked the best among the QB's.  I remember the media mentioning all of Allen's ints.

Now all of a sudden, Haskins is behind in development.

Question, then why did Rivera play Haskins over Allen? What does that say? If he was behind in terms of knowledge of the system, that would have been true from the start.

That's my recollection as well.  But sometimes beat reporters are just bad at evaluating.  Remember a few years ago when Terelle Pryor was "unguardable"?

Other things they were wrong on from training camp this year.  Troy Apke looks good.  Landon Collins looks good.  We had 5 linebackers that looked solid.  Daron Payne was going to be dominant.  The corners were the weakest part of the defense.  Antonio Gandy Golden looks like he runs in the 4.3's.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

In all honesty, he doesn't and I don't believe he said he did. Neither does the rest of the team. So then it comes down to what you do about it. Do you keep trying to open the door that has a blazing fire that is out of control behind it and hope that it extinguishes itself the 5th time you open it, or do you try a different door?

Just now, SoCalSkins said:

Shanahan can’t stay away from the wreck...

Yes, I think it's clear that Haskins' practice and/or behavior recently is a huge part of it.

For one thing, right after the Ravens' game, he named Haskins the starter for the Rams.

So something must have happened, or not happened, since Sunday, to reverse that decision, and progress the demotion.

Maybe Monday or Tuesday, Haskins was still making the same familiar errors in practice ?

• Like 1
Just now, Alcoholic Zebra said:

That's my recollection as well.  But sometimes beat reporters are just bad at evaluating.  Remember a few years ago when Terelle Pryor was "unguardable"?

Other things they were wrong on from training camp this year.  Troy Apke looks good.  Landon Collins looks good.  We had 5 linebackers that looked solid.  Daron Payne was going to be dominant.  The corners were the weakest part of the defense.  Antonio Gandy Golden looks like he runs in the 4.3's.

Okay, but given that Rivera started Haskins, he is bad at this too?

I am thinking that our head coach may be listening to the media too much.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I drafted Bryce Love in fantasy based on reports from camp by the media. 

• Haha 7

Only way Haskins gets near the field now is if Allen totally flunks in the next 5/6 games and Rivera then reverts back to Haskins in tank mode, whilst getting Haskins more reps. Even then that would be a short term fix in advance of getting a new QB in 2021.

However, gut feeling here being there is almost no way back for a Haskins. I can’t see him    getting to the point anytime soon where he will be tangibly better than Allen.

• Like 1
Just now, redskins59 said:

Okay, but given that Rivera started Haskins, he is bad at this too?

I am thinking that our head coach may be listening to the media too much.

He was Dan Snyder’s pick. Ron was obligated to see what he had with him. Better to find out early. 

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

I like Rivera more after listening to that, I’m sick of development and “assessment year,” lets ****ing win.  I’ve said this many times, Washington is not as bad of team as some think.  The division is terrible and we could end up winning it. 

Is that the objective - winning a bad division? If it is we had an opportunity to sign Cam Newton cheap. I thought this was about building an organisation and team that could compete for championships. 

34 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Rivera is so brutally honest is almost funny. Its crazy to me he can some of as such a nice guy and still be so direct. 

He's not being honest.  After he got done pinning the losses on Dwayne and explaining that he's making this move to win and avoid losing the team, someone should have asked him why he couldn't be bothered to manage the clock in the fourth quarter of games two and three.  Why he didn't use a three level offense against one if the best teams in the league?  That media session was a train wreck.  His explanation of his decision making process is incoherent when you look at what his decisions actually were.  We've concentrated an absolutely enormous amount of responsibility and power into a man who can't handle the job right now.

• Like 2
Just now, MartinC said:

Is that the objective - winning a bad division? If it is we had an opportunity to sign Cam Newton cheap. I thought this was about building an organisation and team that could compete for championships. 

The league as a whole is TERRIBLE this year.  Maybe covid has something to do with it. We didn’t exactly get run off the field against the Browns or Cardinals and those are two decent teams. 

4 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Well, the best thing to do would have been to see how Haskins develops. 

How is it that Haskins was looking good the last few games last year?  You cannot convince me otherwise. He looked good the last few games.

All of a sudden he cannot play?  It is a new system. What do you expect?

They should have made our offensive coordinator from last year the head coach. He knew how to coach Haskins.

For me personally, I just wish Alex Smith was in position to get the start and not Kyle Allen.  I just have this sinking feeling that while Allen might go out there and look better on some of the easier stuff that Haskins was missing/over throwing due to bad mechanics, he is still.......Kyle Allen.....and it will likely be realized really quick that being familiar with an scheme only gets you so far.   

Then....you are scrambling to make a move again, probably throw in Alex Smith before he has learned enough of the offense........etc etc etc...........

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Shanahan can’t stay away from the wreck...

To be fair, Sheehan has an undying love for Shanahan that I've never fully understood. The way he talks about Shanny would have you think he was perfect here and we'd have won multiple Super Bowls by now if he had remained the coach. Since he isn't the coach, I guess he can't help himself but calling him up a few times per season to get his thoughts.

• Like 2
Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

Maybe part of this is evaluating who the future QB will be.

And obviously Smith is not the future, but maybe he sees a possibility that Allen is.

Hard to fathom. The only justification would be if Alex is still rusty

My fear is we end up with a repeat of what we saw with McCoy, Sanchez, and Johnson once Alex Smith was put on IR...just a rotation of QBs playing anywhere from decent to mediocre to awful the rest of the season. We also saw this in 2014 with RG3, Cousins, and McCoy. Back then I was a big proponent of continuing to play Cousins instead of the QB carousel it eventually became. Keep him in and see exactly what he is or could be would have given us a better understanding of the QB he could become moving forward into 2015. Once Griffin was healthy, if Cousins was playing well you ride with him. If he was not (he wasn't lol), put in Griffin and keep HIM in there. They were both young and developing. Switching them in and out again and again wasn't the best way to proceed.

• Like 2
Just now, heyholetsgogrant said:

The league as a whole is TERRIBLE this year.  Maybe covid has something to do with it. We didn’t exactly get run off the field against the Browns or Cardinals and those are two decent teams. 

Looking at our offense as a whole apart from Terry who else starts on a good NFL team? Maybe Moses and Schreff. Thats it.

The D is good enough to win with if paired with a good O. But its not good enough to win games if the O just does not screw up. Its so so at LB and CB, Collins is not playing well at SS and we might have the worst FS in the league.

Offensive play design is questionable.

The QB is not the only problem on this team.

• Like 3
  • TK changed the title to FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State
  • PCS locked this topic