Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

7 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

The current rumor is that Rivera sat down with Haskins last week and essentially told him that if he didn't have a good game and correct the things he had continued to struggle with in games and in practices that he was going to be benched.  Haskins complained to his agent, who then sent out that tweet.  This is why he's currently the #3.  

Obviously a rumor that nobody on either side of the situation will confirm, but it makes sense.

The current rumor is that Rivera sat down with Haskins last week and essentially told him that if he didn't have a good game and correct the things he had continued to struggle with in games and in practices that he was going to be benched.  Haskins complained to his agent, who then sent out that tweet.  This is why he's currently the #3.  

They got that rumor reading this thread! 😂 

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

I feel like the main problem with Dwayne thus far is mechanics.  Now obviously I am not a coach, so there could be a lot more issues with him not executing plays properly, and downright missing open options on the field.  What convinced me that Dwayne just wasn't ready is how his mechanics are messing with almost every throw he is making.  Even his completions when you see the replays, almost every single throw is high or behind the WR.  They constantly have to stop their route to catch the ball or sometimes even reach all the way back across their body to make the catches.  I am sure some will reply to me and isolate the handful of good throws that he has made, but I think for the most part he doesn't look like a "QB" right now.   When it comes to an issue like mechanics, is that typically something coaches let players work through on the field or are those worked on as they develop in practice with lots and lots of reps?   I think Rivera is correct in saying Dwayne simple hasn't had the time, opportunity, or reps required to have him in a place where he is ready to succeed.  The question is whether Rivera thinks those reps should be happening on the field which likely means a lot of losses or if another QB should be in there right now giving the team a better chance to win, while Haskins works on these issues outside the pressure of games.

I wish someone at the presser would have asked Rivera flat out if he thinks the offense overall is ahead of where Dwayne can currently take it, because for me THAT is the biggest factor in whether he should be benched or not at this time.  I know this comparison is not close to WFT current situation but remember when Bledsoe was the Patriots starter and Brady came in for relief. Brady did well, but this was before he was "Tom Brady" and everyone assumed Bledsoe would be back as starter as soon as he was healthy.  Well.....coach saw something in Brady he obviously was not getting out of Bledsoe.  It wasn't that Bledsoe was doing horribly, but Brady was giving the offense something that was previously holding it back.   Now I only bring up that example as to say that Rivera could be of the belief from what he has seen on tape that the offense, particularly the passing game has a lot of opportunity to be producing more if they had a better QB throwing the ball.   If Rivera was looking at game film and coming away with the opinion that Haskins had little to nothing around him to throw to, I don't think Haskins is benched. 

7 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Look I'm a fan of this team whatever - its not logical but it's just a part of my life at this point. I will cheer Sunday and  hope Allen turns into an All Pro. But in regards ti your question the way we go about the next offseason is critical to this coaching regime and specifically how they address the QB position. That will reveal do they actually have a plan to develop a contender or are we just throwing crap at a wall here and hoping to win 8 or 9 games a year and maybe catch lightening in a bottle.

I thought there was a plan. But actions being taken make me question that now.

I can't get invested in a rebuild I don't truly believe in.  And I don't really have any reason to believe in this build yet.  The offseason was lousy and the season has been a disaster thus far.  I think you're right that there is no real plan at QB, and that's unacceptable to me.  I also think the FO structure is incoherent and that it's a huge mistake to concentrate as much power as we have in Rivera's hands.  I think the collaborative approach to team building decision making they tried to use during the offseason is doomed to failure and was the direct cause for almost all of the missed opportunities and failures to get better during the offseason.  I also think Rivera has been distracted and unable to fully commit to the demands of the job and that he probably should have taken a leave of absence like Pagano did when he got sick.

This upcoming offseason is going to be make or break for this regime.  The team absolutely needs to hire a GM.  And it's going to be a weird hire when you've already got a tremendously empowered HC in place as well as a bunch of junior executives looking at de facto demotions.  So that'll probably be a problem, but the job still needs to be filled.  And in addition to that, the team needs a real plan at QB, which will almost certainly involve drafting one in the first round.  If they don't do both of these things, I think it's over for them.  And even if they do both of these things, I can't say I'll have a ton of confidence in the staff to get everything right the next time after they pretty much got everything wrong with Dwayne.

I’m just moreso pissed that it was clear as day to everyone BUT our FO that it wasn’t the draft to draft a a QB. We should’ve waited for this past draft. Now we have to do it all over again this upcoming draft or hope Allen is our franchise QB, which I doubt he will be. At least looking forward to seeing what he’s got. 

11 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Didn't someone on here say that Rivera said Haskins was the starter after the Ravens game? If so, that means he had a good enough game in Rivera's eyes to not get benched.

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

So you're talking about people who are not on this thread or even on ES. Got it.

Are you not listening to sports talk radio or reading twitter/social media about this?  The fanbase isn't all consolidated to this thread.  

Just now, Califan007 said:

Didn't someone on here say that Rivera said Haskins was the starter after the Ravens game? If so, that means he had a good enough game in Rivera's eyes to not get benched.

He said it in his post game presser I believe.  The agent's tweet came after (or he found out about it after the fact).

As someone who called the Haskins bust from day one ( and was in turn accused of vile things by certain members of this msg board ) I feel a level of empty vindication.  This should essentially write the end of his story, at least here in Washington, as I do not see him as the type of personality to "rise to the challenge".  At some point a critical player is so performing at such a poor level that they make it impossible to evaluate anyone else on the roster, and I do feel like we were to that point with Haskins.  Further, he continued to show his immaturity and, frankly, piss poor and entitled attitude literally from the moment he was drafted until present.

I am encouraged by this move for one particular reason (it is not because I think we have a stellar NFL QB on the roster at current).  "Simba" is sort of the crown jewel of Danny boy meddling in football decisions and making a mess of things.  This sort of signals to me that a grown up is in charge.  I have no doubt that Coach gave Danny some assurances he would give Simba a fair shake, but when it became clear it was not going to work out, Coach had the authority to pull the plug.  At the heart of the issue, Simba is a Danny mistake and this move gives me hope that as long as Coach is here, Danny may stay out of the way.

11 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I don’t know what to tell you bro. It seems out of character for Rivera to just flat out lie and throw all the blame on Haskins. I feel like he would have had that reputation if that was the case. It’s hard for me to believe he got here and just became a bad coach. 

I think it’s easy for me atleast to believe that he didn’t get what he wanted from Haskins and that he’s going to see if the other guy can do it better. 

I don’t know I can’t really argue your opinion without sounding like I don’t know what I’m talking about 

You know what I think happened?  That he walked into a chaotic and dysfunctional organization, has about a thousand different people currently trying to learn on the job, including the guy sitting in the de facto GM's chair and his OC as well as like 20 out of the 25 guys on the offense, and then he got diagnosed with a terrible and deadly disease that is taking everything he has to fight.  He's not sharp and he's making mistakes.  If there was a GM or someone above him, they probably would have pressured him into taking a leave of absence.  It's a bad situation and it's going to get worse if we keep losing and he does eventually have to step away from the team anyway.  That's going to be real fun...

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You know what I think happened?  That he walked into a chaotic and dysfunctional organization, has about a thousand different people currently trying to learn on the job, including the guy sitting in the de facto GM's chair and his OC as well as like 20 out of the 25 guys on the offense, and then he got diagnosed with a terrible and deadly disease that is taking everything he has to fight.  He's not sharp and he's making mistakes.  If there was a GM or someone above him, they probably would have pressured him into taking a leave of absence.  It's a bad situation and it's going to get worse if we keep losing and he does eventually have to step away from the team anyway.  That's going to be real fun...

It's really not that deep. Haskins was playing bad and he switched qbs to give a 24 year old a shot to see if he can be better.

4 minutes ago, ggarriso said:

As someone who called the Haskins bust from day one ( and was in turn accused of vile things by certain members of this msg board ) I feel a level of empty vindication. 

My vindication is rather satisfying actually.  Not as it pertains to Haskins himself but with those twisting themselves into defending him with ever increasing levels of absurdity in this thread.  

The next first round QB we draft is a bust. I’m officially calling it now. Possibly years before it happens. I’m first! 😂 

He said it in his post game presser I believe.  The agent's tweet came after (or he found out about it after the fact).

Gonna quote myself, then: "his agent is a ****ing idiot."

Even if Haskins went as far as asking him to tweet that out, his agent should have been smart enough to say "That's not a good idea, it's just gonna backfire."

Not judging Ron until 2021 league year begins.

He’s giving lip service right now. He can’t come out and say “I thought Dwayne sucked as a prospect. I think he sucks now. I tried to give him a chance because he was here but he hasn’t improved at all. I brought Allen in because he’s familiar and will get us to week 17 without having to dumb the playbook down. We are actively scouting collegiate QBs and FAs to be now”

He’s not worried about 2020. He’s conceded multiple losses this season. The ****ty division came him excuse to make the change without hurting feelings. 

At least this is what I’m telling myself 

I think anybody with eyes that has watched any amount of pro-Football could have seen this coming.  Haskins doesn't have it at this level.  I've said this with several other players that have been drafted or brought here in free-agency since 1999, but I hope FINALLY Dan Snyder can see that he has no business making draft picks for the team.  Whether Allen works out or not...they need to move on from Haskins who never should have been drafted that high to begin with.  You don't take projects in the first round.    

3 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Nobody should be entitled enough to suck so badly through 4 games that you get a 5th start just because.  Kyle Allen deserves his shot just as much as Haskins.  Screw what round you got drafted in.  Good move.

Haskins play last year allowed us to land Chase Young. Maybe scouting him extensively also helped tip the scales toward picking Terry McLauren. He served his purpose. Time to move forward.

Archived