Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 minute ago, redskins59 said:

This is the problem.  If Kyle Allen looks bad, then we start Alex Smith.   Smith had a big injury, and is not a long-term solution.

The solution is to think long-term.  

The QB position is not rocket science.  Haskins showed the ability to learn last year. He has the highest ceiling due to his arm.  It's not close.

His arm is maybe above average.....and his ceiling is low at this point he excels at one type of pass has poor pocket presence he doesn't have intangibles to over come his accuracy issues...

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

that or he entered into the season with an offense he didn’t think could win and that’s almost as bad. 

Thats the thing we DID enter the season with an O that was not good enough to win with from a talent perspective. Plus it was new system with a screwed up offseason. We talked about it and this being a rebuild/evaluation year in various threads on here all offseason - but now we are acting all surprised when we lose and thinking we could somehow back into the playoffs if we just get better QB play. 

Whats the quote  ... "playoffs? PLAYOFFS"

The current rumor is that Rivera sat down with Haskins last week and essentially told him that if he didn't have a good game and correct the things he had continued to struggle with in games and in practices that he was going to be benched.  Haskins complained to his agent, who then sent out that tweet.  This is why he's currently the #3.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WilberMarshall said:

It is not on the OC. The plays are there to be had. 

Is at least SOMEWHAT on play design. There are some bad things happening on play design, especially in the passing game.

But he's got his hand tied behind his back with limited talent and a QB who had zero offseason and is new to the system. With Allen at least the playbook opens up somewhat.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This is just bad coaching.  All of it.  Rivera has put the himself and the team in a position where Kyle Allen now has to come in and save the season just so Rivera doesn't look incompetent.  It's incomprehensible.

I don’t know what to tell you bro. It seems out of character for Rivera to just flat out lie and throw all the blame on Haskins. I feel like he would have had that reputation if that was the case. It’s hard for me to believe he got here and just became a bad coach. 

I think it’s easy for me atleast to believe that he didn’t get what he wanted from Haskins and that he’s going to see if the other guy can do it better. 

I don’t know I can’t really argue your opinion without sounding like I don’t know what I’m talking about 

Just now, CjSuAvE22 said:

His arm is maybe above average.....and his ceiling is low at this point he excels at one type of pass has poor pocket presence he doesn't have intangibles to over come his accuracy issues...

You don't know what his ceiling is based on 4 games this year.  You don't know his intangibles either. Are you telling me that you know his growth trajectory based on 4 games?

He cannot get better with experience?  

There are two types of mindsets.  One mindset is growth. The more you learn, practice, etc, the better you get. The other mindset is fixed.  In America, people mostly seem to believe in a fixed mindset.  That is you either have innate ability or not.  This mindset is crap.

1 minute ago, httr2020dynasty said:

I cannot wait for this game. The best news about all the Allen slander and Haskins excuses is we finally get to see who's right this Sunday. No more speculating.

It's going to be fun seeing the people who keep saying "it's not all on the quarterback" suddenly have over the top expectations for Allen on Sunday.

I feel like the main problem with Dwayne thus far is mechanics.  Now obviously I am not a coach, so there could be a lot more issues with him not executing plays properly, and downright missing open options on the field.  What convinced me that Dwayne just wasn't ready is how his mechanics are messing with almost every throw he is making.  Even his completions when you see the replays, almost every single throw is high or behind the WR.  They constantly have to stop their route to catch the ball or sometimes even reach all the way back across their body to make the catches.  I am sure some will reply to me and isolate the handful of good throws that he has made, but I think for the most part he doesn't look like a "QB" right now.   When it comes to an issue like mechanics, is that typically something coaches let players work through on the field or are those worked on as they develop in practice with lots and lots of reps?   I think Rivera is correct in saying Dwayne simple hasn't had the time, opportunity, or reps required to have him in a place where he is ready to succeed.  The question is whether Rivera thinks those reps should be happening on the field which likely means a lot of losses or if another QB should be in there right now giving the team a better chance to win, while Haskins works on these issues outside the pressure of games.

I wish someone at the presser would have asked Rivera flat out if he thinks the offense overall is ahead of where Dwayne can currently take it, because for me THAT is the biggest factor in whether he should be benched or not at this time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Thats the thing we DID enter the season with an O that was not good enough to win with from a talent perspective. Plus it was new system with a screwed up offseason. We talked about it and this being a rebuild/evaluation year in various threads on here all offseason - but now we are acting all surprised when we lose and thinking we could somehow back into the playoffs if we just get better QB play. 

Whats the quote  ... "playoffs? PLAYOFFS"

Yea that’s true. I don’t know I just don’t really see the harm in getting Allen out there if they really believe that Haskins isn’t progressing as he should. I guess the point is I trust what the coach says at the moment and until I think he’s lying I want to see what his decisions turn into. 

I really would rather look for another Qb than another HC 

Edited by Llevron

5 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

All I can say is that I'm not in favor of this move and now am in the negatives on Ron. The one positive is that Allen is only 24 instead of going to Smith, but this move sucks and is not a developmental move. We'll see what Allen has but I am not a fan of this move. 

Haskins sucks, period.  He will never be a franchise QB, and if lucky, he will have a long career as a back-up QB.  Good QBs show progression week to week, regardless of what weapons they have.  It's one thing if he's doing everything right and his receivers miss the catch or his RB fumbles, or his TE/RB doesn't block and he gets sacked, or a weak line gets overpowered and through for a sack. 

That doesn't seem to always be the case with Haskins though.  Sometimes he looks like he's progressing, then repeats bone-head mistakes.  Like on the goal line drive, he drops back 18 yards from the line of scrimmage, sees the defender back there (cause they initially whiffed on the sack) and instead of throwing the ball away and avoiding the sack, he runs a little to his left and gets a sack for a loss of 18 yards.

Or he throws a deep/middle pass to a receiver, makes a good throw.  Then the next play he misses a wide open back/receiver in the backfield 5 yards away from them, uncovered.  And misses bad.  Horrible play, no pocket presence, no situational awareness, progression then regression over and over again.  We shouldn't have drafted him, but the owner did, I'm just glad that Rivera went ahead and pulled the plug on this failed experiment. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Looking at our offense as a whole apart from Terry who else starts on a good NFL team? Maybe Moses and Schreff. Thats it.

I might add other OL, but I need to see how they do with a more opened up playbook, that needs them to block for longer than 2 seconds.  The quick game concepts used for Haskins helps hide a lot of OL issues.  Has the OL developed/improved from Week 1...yes...but it's hard to tell how much, and if that much is enough to matter.

Then Gibson is a maybe.  Way too early to tell for him.  I've got a hunch for some others, but we'll see.

Offensive play design is questionable.

We haven't had a good playcaller/designer since McVay.  I think Kevin O'Connell was just 'OK'.  I'm still undecided on Turner, but I do like how much he was shifting the offense to hide weaknesses.  Adapting is a huge plus.  But it sort of feels like he might be a creative writer who just badly needs an editor to tweak things a tiny bit.

The QB is not the only problem on this team.

It's not, but it was disappointing to see every unit play well enough against the Browns to win handily, only for Haskins to bungle it.  That was his worst game as a starter by far though.  Everybody has a bad game, but that was really bad.

• Like 1

Just now, redskins59 said:

You don't know what his ceiling is based on 4 games this year.  You don't know his intangibles either. Are you telling me that you know his growth trajectory based on 4 games?

He cannot get better with experience?  

There are two types of mindsets.  One mindset is growth. The more you learn, practice, etc, the better you get. The other mindset is fixed.  In America, people mostly seem to believe in a fixed mindset.  That is you either have innate ability or not.  This mindset is crap.

Yes I'm saying exactly what I said...From last year to this year I don't see anything from him that tells me he can be an ELITE QB, and unfortunately for you a highly sought after NFL head coach agrees....

• Like 1

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

It's going to be fun seeing the people who keep saying "it's not all on the quarterback" suddenly have over the top expectations for Allen on Sunday.

Oh it's going to be ridiculous. Poor Allen, if he doesn't throw for 300+ yards and 5 tds and win the game, there is going to be nonstop "told you so" posts. My expectation of him is simply to show that he can make plays downfield. Other than that, it's not really to be the next tom brady. He's replacing the worst passer in the nfl so the improvement doesn't have to be that great.

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

Um...from what I've been reading, expecting Allen to play better than Haskins is a bit like expecting Haskins to play better againt the Ravens than he did against the Browns: it's a low bar and should be easy to do.

Doesn't sound like "over the top" expectations to me.

Just now, Califan007 said:

Um...from what I've been reading, expecting Allen to play better than Haskins is a bit like expecting Haskins to play better againt the Ravens than he did against the Browns: it's a low bar and should be easy to do.

Doesn't sound like "over the top" expectations to me.

https://sports.yahoo.com/chris-cooley-says-disconnect-between-001133879.html

"Better play damn good"...yeah, not over the top in the least.

• TK changed the title to FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State
  • PCS locked this topic