Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

He never said that he made the change for the media's sake. He said that he made the change because the players on the team want to win, and that fans like us don't see the turmoil among the players when they're losing with Haskins. He also said it's ironic that the media is unhappy that Haskins is being benched after they were unhappy that Haskins wasn't being benched.

So, the media was a factor in his decision.

Now, I hope Rivera is right, but if he is wrong here and Allen looks like crap, then Rivera needs to be fired on the spot.

I am cheering for Allen though.

• Haha 1

For all of those having an issue with winning now stuff.  I am not sure what you prefer Rivera to say just blast Haskins with every concern he has about him ala Jay about RG3 in 2014?

Maybe he means it about being all about winning now or maybe he doesn't.  but if you want to buck up Dwayne, you don't destory him in a press conference.  You do what Rivera does, say hey the dude is inexperienced, and here's why I want experience at this given time.

If Rivera felt as strongly as some here do that Haskins will likely prove to be the goods if you give him a longer sample, I doubt he would have benched him.  but is he going to say that openly?  Nope.  If they ultimately want to trade Haskins or whatever -- you don't want to air our all your grievances with the dude's play.  Instead you come up with the most benign excuse you could to make that change. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Just now, redskins59 said:

The media played no factor in his decision, he was simply making a point that they constantly talked about how poorly he was playing and now that he's benched, they seem unhappy about that too.  Nothing more, nothing less.  You have to give the guy more credit than that.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, redskins59 said:

Now, I hope Rivera is right, but if he is wrong here and Allen looks like crap, then Rivera needs to be fired on the spot.

I am cheering for Allen though.

He never said the media had anything to do with the decision. He was mocking them.

1 minute ago, redskins59 said:

Yes because if this organization needs anything, it’s firing their head coach because their first big decision didn’t work out. 

• Like 1

When Rivera said Allen will have the "same unfair shake", is he sarcastically joking along with reporters about the perception of him being unfair as a HC ? Or is he referring to the offensive lack of talent around him making it an unfair shake ?

Interesting if it's the latter, because it sends a 'not so great' message to his offensive team. Hopefully it motivates them, if that's the case.

24 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Rivera is so brutally honest is almost funny. Its crazy to me he can some of as such a nice guy and still be so direct. 

Too bad that it doesn't help. The exact same posters who slammed Shanny (and then Gruden a year later) for benching the great hope in 2013 are doing the exact same thing now. At least back then, it was more understandable, as Griffin had shown the ability to play in the NFL, even if it was a bit of a gimmicky offense.

I really don't get the loyalty to Haskins.....but at the same time, I don't care to argue with them again. Given that we're back here again, it seems futile to engage in discussion with posters that still haven't adjusted their viewpoints, even with the advantage of hindsight into an eerily similiar situation.

Here's hoping Kyle Allen plays as well as Cousins did. It's unlikely, but even if he does.....god there's still going to be months of this bull**** about how the evil football team ruined a potentially great QB's career....again.

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

did he say fair or unfair?  I thought he said unfair but maybe I misheard.  It doesn't change the point though either way

I was typing as I was listening and did my best to keep up. I tried to focus on getting the speakers intent more than the exact wording.

I'm a two finger old school typist.  lol Did the best that I could but it's definitely far from an exact transcript. 

• Like 1

Also, you can write 100 lines about this, but it was reported quite often that Haskins looked the best among the QB's.  I remember the media mentioning all of Allen's ints.

Now all of a sudden, Haskins is behind in development.

Question, then why did Rivera play Haskins over Allen? What does that say? If he was behind in terms of knowledge of the system, that would have been true from the start.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

When Rivera said Allen will have the "same unfair shake", is he sarcastically joking along with reporters about the perception of him being unfair as a HC ? Or is he referring to the offensive lack of talent around him making it an unfair shake ?

Interesting if it's the latter, because it sends a 'not so great' message to his offensive team. Hopefully it motivates them, if that's the case.

I think he's mocking Dwaynes agent. I don't think he actually means anything more by it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, httr2020dynasty said:

I think he's mocking Dwaynes agent. I don't think he actually means anything more by it.

100%. that’s exactly what I thought he was doing. 

His daughter runs the social media for the team. It all gets back to him.

Edited by SoCalSkins

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

ok someone backs me on the unfair

I like Rivera more after listening to that, I’m sick of development and “assessment year,” lets ****ing win.  I’ve said this many times, Washington is not as bad of team as some think.  The division is terrible and we could end up winning it. 

1 minute ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

I like Rivera more after listening to that, I’m sick of development and “assessment year,” lets ****ing win.  I’ve said this many times, Washington is not as bad of team as some think.  The division is terrible and we could end up winning it. 

I'm the same exact way. This whole talking about tanking for picks is as loser mentality as it gets. Not a way to develop a winning culture. 

4 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

Also, you can write 100 lines about this, but it was reported quite often that Haskins looked the best among the QB's.  I remember the media mentioning all of Allen's ints.

Now all of a sudden, Haskins is behind in development.

Question, then why did Rivera play Haskins over Allen? What does that say? If he was behind in terms of knowledge of the system, that would have been true from the start.

I guess the lesson is that playing on a practice field against your own defense just isn't the same thing as playing in a stadium against the Baltimore Ravens lmao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I took it as sarcasm.   As some here have said if this supporting cast in a train wreck than benching Dwayne should if anything help prove that point.  Will see.  Though personally I got doubts about both Dwayne and Kyle. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

I'm the same exact way. This whole talking about tanking for picks is as loser mentality as it gets. Not a way to develop a winning culture. 

Well, not tanking for picks, but it's not a bad idea to try to develop a QB who was starting to look good at the end of the season last year.

We can still try to win while developing our QB.

Edited by redskins59

10 minutes ago, SpacePenguin said:

Too bad that it doesn't help. The exact same posters who slammed Shanny (and then Gruden a year later) for benching the great hope in 2013 are doing the exact same thing now. At least back then, it was more understandable, as Griffin had shown the ability to play in the NFL, even if it was a bit of a gimmicky offense.

I really don't get the loyalty to Haskins.....but at the same time, I don't care to argue with them again. Given that we're back here again, it seems futile to engage in discussion with posters that still haven't adjusted their viewpoints, even with the advantage of hindsight into an eerily similiar situation.

Here's hoping Kyle Allen plays as well as Cousins did. It's unlikely, but even if he does.....god there's still going to be months of this bull**** about how the evil football team ruined a potentially great QB's career....again.

Dont get me wrong. I believe both prospects were failed by this organization. But at a certain point that doesnt matter. Thats not Ron Riveras burden. And past that, there was never a guarantee he would even work out. He was a talented prospect at best, and he hasnt looked like that much in the NFL. You cant watch one of our best line men go down for the season, and think.....well sorry, but Haskins has to get better. A lot of guys are putting their careers on the line, its only right to give them the best chance to win. 

Honestly this could help Haskins in the long run 

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

I guess the lesson is that playing on a practice field against your own defense just isn't the same thing as playing in a stadium against the Baltimore Ravens lmao

Question.

Then how does he know that Allen is better?  Based on what? Allen finished horribly last year, while Haskins finished strong.

3 minutes ago, redskins59 said:

Well, not tanking for losing, but it's not a bad idea to try to develop a QB who was starting to look good at the end of the season last year.

We can still try to win while developing our QB.

I don't agree with your assessment of Haskins at all. I think he's so far from developing in to a capable qb that it's time to move on. Maybe he'll be ready next year but he's definitely not ready this year. 

• Like 1

• TK changed the title to FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State
  • PCS locked this topic