Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Exactly all of this. The only argument anyone has is that Haskins deserves development because he was a first round pick. Nothing about Ron not drafting him or about the fact he's the worst passer in the NFL. Said it from the beginning, Ron doesn't owe him anything and gave him a shot. That's all that should be expected from Ron who has no attachment to Haskins. 

2 hours ago, httr2020dynasty said:

I cannot wait for this game. The best news about all the Allen slander and Haskins excuses is we finally get to see who's right this Sunday. No more speculating.

I personally am ready for the Allen excuses and Haskins slander.

Just now, Califan007 said:

I have and will never say "In (fill in the blank) I trust", ever lol...especially after:

"In Shanahan I Trust" brought us John Beck...

"In Scot I Trust" brought us Doctson, Cravens, and images of Dianna nobody should ever have to imagine lol

Stop it I can only take so much pain in a day what are you trying to do here, eh? Shame on you. 

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Nope.  But I expect a decent sports media to follow up when a coach admits that he's got some team cancers forcing his hand on his quarterback.

I think it's clear Rivera was never really interested in developing Haskins and that this little preseason-esque dog and pony show during the first month of the season was his way of pretending like he gave developing Haskins a shot.  What's not at all clear is Rivera's long term plan for the QB position moving forward.  If it's not Kyle Allen, then it feels like he doesn't have one.  Which makes the '20 offseason look even worse in retrospect.

You can't build Rome in a day.  Rivera has more or less said that.    For Rivera to talk Dan out of Haskins from day 1 on the job, I don't think would be easy or the dude genuninely wanted to see it play out, and didn't like what he saw.  It's not the end of the world IMO.  We can try to find a QB next year.   I seriously doubt Dan would have let Rivera bail right from the get go.

I agree with Cooley's take on this, I doubt Rivera's main motivation to bench Haskins is to win now.  But you got to give a nice excuse for the benching.  If Rivera went national about all the reasons that perhaps he thought why Haskins didn't have what it takes -- it would be cruel and also it would devalue him as an asset.  And for those here who really like Haskins as a prospect, I somehow doubt they'd prefer it if Rivera let it fly with the likely real reason why he benched Haskins.

FYI, Cooley was on Sheehan's podcast today and essentially said what SIP has alluded to above...basically Rivera is using the "we can win the division this year" excuse as a cover because he cannot come right out and say that they have seen enough from him and know without a doubt that he isn't the guy.  Cooley thinks they've seen enough in these four weeks to know that it's going to take too long to develop him to get him up to decent-starter level, so they are moving on.  

Also, towards the last 10 minutes or so of Sheehan's podcast, Cooley let's out this quote:

"Does this vindicate Jay and that staff?  To some extent?  Now obviously it was not the right move to consistently say to the media, 'Dwayne can't play.  Dwayne hasn't grown.'  That's not necessarily the right move.  But no one wanted to believe that.  This is...again...there's just so many similarities to the Robert situation...it's just Robert had one amazing year so there was something there.  But  this is again two staffs that have said it.  The personnel people never wanted Dwayne.  No one in personnel wanted to draft Dwayne.  Like nobody in personnel wanted to take Haskins."

Sheehan then says to say restate what he just said because a lot of people still don't believe it, and then Cooley backtracked to say that they didn't want to draft him #15 overall, but I thought those three sentences were very telling.  I think Cooley caught himself going down a road similar to what happened with Griffin ("a little **** in him") and speculating about Scot drinking again and said that he meant they didn't want him at #15 overall.  

1 minute ago, SoCalSkins said:

From this day forward when some gets cut or fired I’m going to say they took his pants! That was hilarious! 😂 

I hate laughing at that because that's just kind of mean to Haskins but my gosh were those funny comments, haha. They took the mans pants. 

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I have and will never say "In (fill in the blank) I trust", ever lol...especially after:

"In Shanahan I Trust" brought us John Beck...

"In Scot I Trust" brought us Doctson, Cravens, and images of Dianna nobody should ever have to imagine lol

The better one IMO is In Dan I Trust.  Especially when it comes to QBs.  That would be the biggest lol.

6 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

FYI, Cooley was on Sheehan's podcast today and essentially said what SIP has alluded to above...basically Rivera is using the "we can win the division this year" excuse as a cover because he cannot come right out and say that they have seen enough from him and know without a doubt that he isn't the guy.  Cooley thinks they've seen enough in these four weeks to know that it's going to take too long to develop him to get him up to decent-starter level, so they are moving on.  

Also, towards the last 10 minutes or so of Sheehan's podcast, Cooley let's out this quote:

"Does this vindicate Jay and that staff?  To some extent?  Now obviously it was not the right move to consistently say to the media, 'Dwayne can't play.  Dwayne hasn't grown.'  That's not necessarily the right move.  But no one wanted to believe that.  This is...again...there's just so many similarities to the Robert situation...it's just Robert had one amazing year so there was something there.  But  this is again two staffs that have said it.  The personnel people never wanted Dwayne.  No one in personnel wanted to draft Dwayne.  Like nobody in personnel wanted to take Haskins."

Cooley isn't the only one with that narrative.  If Haskins wasn't Kyle Smith's guy or according to some ditto some of the scouts in that building.  And Rivera didn't draft him and clearly had some skepticism.  And the article posted before that it was Dan and Bruce who drove it, then its a good sign that Dan at least at the moment is hands off.  

As @KDawg said Haskins is the product of the previous regime's dysfunction.   He isn't a verdict on the current regime.   

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

@stevemcqueen1, you can evaluate circles around me and most others here so this is not intended as an insult—but is it completely out of the realm of possibility in your mind that Haskins just ****ing sucks and doesn’t have it? You were the biggest Gabbert fan in the entire universe, and though that was almost a decade ago, everyone misses. 

Not directed at me but I have been someone who liked Haskins coming out of College and was encouraged by his performances at the end of last year. I’ve been a poster positive and hopeful about Haskins. But neither I or anyone I can think of including Steve has been saying he’s a lock to be successful. I certainly acknowledged the possibility, heck probability, that he would fail. Projecting any drafted QB to fail will make you right a lot more than it will make you wrong.

it’s certainly possible he just sucks. Lots of evidence of that right now - but after 9 starts, 4 in a new system this year with not a lot around him in terms of support, it’s awfully early to call in the jury.

The NFL model is not one conducive to developing QBs - especially ones that have limited College experience and who you know are raw coming out. As others have said that’s the mistake here - drafting a QB who needed time and development to a lame duck coaching staff who had to win now in an organization with the attention span of a goldfish.

On a serious note I do have to wonder why start him at all if 4 games was all the rep he was gonna get. But I can understand that Ron’s whole deal is to keep the players playing hard, and that’s impossible to do if they have no faith in the Qb starting. Maybe that was all bs. I will probably never know but I would prefer to trust him as o hear he is trust worthy. 

that’s all I got 💁🏾

5 hours ago, ggarriso said:

haha hes not worth that - hes a liability not an asset

I agree with you.  I just find it hard to believe that a guy who was billed as a 1st or 2nd round prospect with high upside can fall so quickly.  I mean, why the hell did we draft him in the first place?  Has he really shown absolutely nothing so far?  I've watched most of the games, I agree he is pretty bad, but man....it's hard to imagine a team wouldn't want to risk trading a 7th rounder at least and try to revive whatever scouts were praising him for in college.

9 minutes ago, Blue Collar Skins said:

Haskins needs time to learn and develop. He is having trouble reading the field. Sitting him passing behind others that understand the system can help him in the long run. I really hope Haskins doesn't take it too hard but rather use it as fuel to improve. 

Sitting him at 3rd/4th string doesn't get him practice reps or coaching development.   And if this was even a possibility (which he had to know if he watched any film)  why not bring in a vet and have a legitimate QB competition? 

This isn't a playoff team.   Just because the division is bad,  doesn't mean we're good 

4 minutes ago, megared said:

Sitting him at 3rd/4th string doesn't get him practice reps or coaching development.   And if this was even a possibility (which he had to know if he watched any film)  why not bring in a vet and have a legitimate QB competition? 

This isn't a playoff team.   Just because the division is bad,  doesn't mean we're good 

Yeah, but having the chance to win the division or at least make the playoffs (there are 7 playoff teams this year) can only help create a culture that helps lead to winning. Sure, 6-10 might end up winning the division lol...

Chasing wins with this roster goes against almost everything we have done this offseason. Even with an expanded playoff format, it is highly unlikely this division sees 2 teams go to the 2nd season. The only path forward would be to win the division.

It looked like we at least had a plan in place at the start of the season, but this is a knee jerk kind of reaction. How does this effect the other young players on our roster?

7 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

I think Alex Smith gets his Hollywood ending. Wins the division at 7-9 or 8-8. Who plays him in the movie? 

In all seriousness, I believe Bradley Cooper could pull it off but I will refer to @Dan T. for all athlete lookalikes.

4 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

People are surprised that a Daniel Snyder/Bruce Allen player acquisition was an abject failure? 

Pepsi is second rate...

10 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Yeah, but having the chance to win the division or at least make the playoffs (there are 7 playoff teams this year) can only help create a culture that helps lead to winning. Sure, 6-10 might end up winning the division lol...

A culture around a bunch of dudes you need to replace anyways. He should've/could've brought in almost any vet.  He then would've had a legitimate reason to sit Haskins down, and avoid this nonsense.  Maybe Rivera could've generated enough intrigue around Haskins to garner a ham sandwich via trade, if he knew he was never gonna be the guy.  But there wasn't a need to ever play him, and confirm it for the world, if he was never committed to exercising patience.  

Feels like Ron wasted a season because of indecisiveness with the QB.  I think it's disingenuous to throw out the team record, and other guys feelings, when he made the choice for the team to not compete in some of those games.  

Archived