Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

4 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

What?  Brady?  Brees?  Let's not go crazy.  Brady just threw 5 TD's at 43 years old.  He's obliterating records in the 40+ year category.  That doesn't happen without ridiculous work ethic.

Brady/Brees are a different talent level than Alex Smith.  We're talking about a guy that never lived up to the expectations of where he was drafted.  Yet he built a long, successful career through preparation, study, and eliminating mistakes.  He's never been in the tier of those guys, as a passer.  

4 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Alex Smith has numerous examples of a great work ethic, that's not in question.

You're misinterpreting this.  It isn't about supplanting Alex Smith and overdoing what he does.  It's about teammates coming to Haskins, telling him he's not putting in the effort, and he does nothing to fix that.

I just don't think the additional narrative is necessary nor helpful--if Ron's saying he sucked, let's leave it at that.  

Why wouldn't Alex Smith have to spend more time at the facility (even beyond his normal hours) when he was rehabbing, and trying to get medically cleared?  

11 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

It's about teammates coming to Haskins, telling him he's not putting in the effort, and he does nothing to fix that.

The more I read it sounds to me like Haskins is another know-it-all barely 20 something who can’t be told anything.  They have all the answers, and generally feel distain for anyone who isn’t family over 40.  If you would only see things through their paradigm all would be well in the world.  I work with some of them.  Sometimes you would be better off trying to explain things to a brick wall.    

If this is true, just further solidifies the fact that he is never going to be the QB and leader this team (or any team) needs until he changes his attitude. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm of the opinion that we are rebuilding anyway so why not play him? What, you'll win 6 games instead of 4, with Allen? The only people who think we'll win the division with Allen or even Alex Smith are looking at the situation through rose colored glasses. I am not a Haskins supporter I think he was a bad pick and we're seeing it. But the only way to know for sure is to play him and there's nothing to lose this year anyway. Plus, what if it "clicks" for him? You won't know if you don't play him. 

Edited by Stadium-Armory
4 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

The more I read it sounds to me like Haskins is another know-it-all barely 20 something who can’t be told anything.  They have all the answers, and generally feel distain for anyone who isn’t family over 40.  If you would only see things through their paradigm all would be well in the world.  I work with some of them.  Sometimes you would be better off trying to explain things to a brick wall.    

If this is true, just further solidifies the fact that he is never going to be the QB and leader this team (or any team) needs until he changes his attitude. 

I could be wrong, as this was just a gut feeling, but I always got the impression that he felt like he could just ride this NFL career, on his natural talent alone, and not have to put much extra work or development in.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I feel like you are getting hung up on the Alex Smith thing. I have a feeling there are other things that were going on behind the scene also however I don't care if you are 19 years old or 40 years old, there is no excuse for Haskins to not be the first one in the building and last one to leave. 

If he doesn't/didn't comprehend that then he isn't a top level QB prospect. 

I don't think you'll find a company on earth where its success hinges on the above and beyondness of a 23 year old.   I wouldn't give that strategy 4 games, myself.   Punishing him for it, relative to a 35 year old's thought process, is piling on. 

I'm not even sure Smith had that dedication himself,  at 23.  

25 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Haskins sounds like a millennial. More interested in Instagram than film study. He seems like a good guy and will learn from this no doubt, but you could tell Ron and the players patience was wearing thin. I was shocked by how happy Dwayne seemed after the Ravens game. Like he was counting his stats not the lost. 

Every single player in the league right now besides maybe a dozen are millennials, people really need to update their biases. And in fact if Haskins is even a millennial at all it’s barely. He’s more so Gen Z, at 23.

Just now, megared said:

I'm not even sure Smith had that dedication himself,  at 23.  

Again - neither you nor I know what else transpired between haskins, the other players, the coaches etc. It obviously was something more - and his lack of dedication and time putting in work didn't appear over night, so ot obviously was something they were willing to put up with to a point. 

I don't think it is "above and beyond" to expect a first round draft pick QB to do absolutely everything your coaches ask of you, including working before and after practice. He has massive holes im his game, both from a technique and mental stand point. To be a starting QB you muat be willing to put in an insane amount of time and effort to get better (heck to even just keep up) - even if you don't have huge holes in your game. 

He isn't just some 23 year old, he is a professional athlete attempting to play possibly the most challenging position in all of pro sports. He left college early to come do this. 

Welcome to the NFL where success hinges on the above and beyondness of 23 year olds. 

• Thanks 1

If Allen goes on a run; then maybe we win the division and then get crushed in the playoffs.

If Allen flops, then we get a high draft pick to draft some o-line and the QB the coaching staff believes in.

I don't think Rivera played Haskins to give him a shot.  Dan probably asked him to do that when hiring him.  Ron said o.k. but if Dwayne isn't showing he can be his guy; he will pull him.  

I'm not expecting anything.  We are still on pace for a 2-4 win season.

14 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Every single player in the league right now besides maybe a dozen are millennials, people really need to update their biases. And in fact if Haskins is even a millennial at all it’s barely. He’s more so Gen Z, at 23.

You're right. Knew that as I was typing. Lazy. My big point still stands and it's a not a biased one. He's young and acts a bit entitled (allegedly). But you know what? Most people are like that at some point and then they grow up. Hopefully he'll learn from this and be better for it going forward. You never know how a NFL career is going to turn out. I remember when Jay benched Kirk for Colt. We all thought Kirk was done. Cut to a few years later and he's making 30 million a year.

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 3
3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

RIvera being criticized for not giving Haskins enough total games to get a sample size before benching him.

But when you have Rivera's experience and smarts, as well as being privy to the player up-close for hours every day, you don't need nearly as long as the average person does, to determine if he should be starting.

Yep, there is no doubt he's seen his entire body of work from practice, to off field, to personality, work ethic, and of course on field performance and simply does not see someone ready for the NFL. That's now two coaches that do not believe he's NFL ready, yet for some reason many people think he is. What I saw matches the analytics, just someone who can't throw the ball downfield because he either has terrible mechanics or can't read an NFL defense. Whatever it is, it was ugly.

3 minutes ago, httr2020dynasty said:

Yep, there is no doubt he's seen his entire body of work from practice, to off field, to personality, work ethic, and of course on field performance and simply does not see someone ready for the NFL. That's now two coaches that do not believe he's NFL ready, yet for some reason many people think he is. What I saw matches the analytics, just someone who can't throw the ball downfield because he either has terrible mechanics or can't read an NFL defense. Whatever it is, it was ugly.

Oh yea, Gruden got scourged for not starting Haskins right away.

But yet look at Tagovailoa, who was drafted 5th overall, as opposed to Haskins' 15th, and even Tua still isn't considered ready.

• Like 1

The only other time RR has acted this quickly was when he cut Guice.  I think that situation should be used as a gauge of sorts to give us an idea of the depth of this benching.  At least it does for me.

• Like 1
Just now, XxSpearheadxX said:

Again - neither you nor I know what else transpired between haskins, the other players, the coaches etc. It obviously was something more - and his lack of dedication and time putting in work didn't appear over night, so ot obviously was something they were willing to put up with to a point. 

The stuff you quoted threw that narrative out, not me.   My point is,  there's no reason to pile on conjecture,  if he clearly played himself out of the starting spot.  Comparing him to Alex Smith ignores the fact that everyone knows Alex Smith works insanely hard, harder than most NFL players.      

No NFL franchise lives and dies by a 23 year old's work ethic.   Being an NFL player doesn't change the fact that he's 23.  And most 23 year olds inherently have maturity issues.  Because they're not mature. 

1 minute ago, megared said:

No NFL franchise lives and dies by a 23 year old's work ethic.   Being an NFL player doesn't change the fact that he's 23.  And most 23 year olds inherently have maturity issues.  Because they're not mature. 

Every NFL franchise drafting QBs are banking their entire season or at least an enormous investment of capital in the work ethic of a 23 year old. 

3 minutes ago, megared said:

The stuff you quoted threw that narrative out, not me.   My point is,  there's no reason to pile on conjecture,  if he clearly played himself out of the starting spot.  Comparing him to Alex Smith ignores the fact that everyone knows Alex Smith works insanely hard, harder than most NFL players.      

When the 23 year old is a 1st round pick QB who is the captain, then yeah, they do.  QBs are the leaders of teams.  You don't think Joe Burrow isn't working his butt off in the film room? Justin Herbert?  AP had to get on Haskins Last year about his work habits.  It happened again this year according to the post.  Daniel Jones may be struggling, but by ALL ACCOUNTS, that guy is a hard worker (first in the complex, last to leave).  

Just now, XxSpearheadxX said:

Every NFL franchise drafting QBs are banking their entire season or at least an enormous investment of capital in the work ethic of a 23 year old. 

They have 53 men on the roster plus coaches,  management,  probably putting it over 100 people in the operation.   One 23 year old isn't stopping that.  That's why rosters carry more than 22 slots.   

3 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

When the 23 year old is a 1st round pick QB who is the captain, then yeah, they do.  QBs are the leaders of teams.  

Our team traditionally gives the starting QB a captain slot.  So sad he won't live up to the prowess of past recipients, like Mason Foster...

6 minutes ago, megared said:

They have 53 men on the roster plus coaches,  management,  probably putting it over 100 people in the operation.   One 23 year old isn't stopping that.  That's why rosters carry more than 22 slots.   

I’m so confused why you are absolutely adamant in defending the fact that even after teammate intervention, Haskins did not start to arrive at the facility earlier or leave later, his habits stayed the same. That’s the point. Not how legendary Smith’s work ethic is or how young Haskins is (though any fan if they were being honest should be confused why Haskins wasn’t attached to Smith’s hip and on at least the same/similar schedule). It is perfectly reasonable to expect your 1st round QB to become the guy who arrives first and departs last, especially after teammate intervention. 

And not only for his own good! A starting QB, a captain, sets the tone. He is not the guy you want the other 52 or whatever “making up” for as he learns. Nobody has that luxury. It’s a problem, dude. Stop writing it off so strenuously, it makes you hard to take seriously. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
13 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I’m so confused why you are absolutely adamant in defending the fact that even after teammate intervention, Haskins did not start to arrive at the facility earlier or leave later, his habits stayed the same. That’s the point. Not how legendary Smith’s work ethic is or how young Haskins is (though any fan if they were being honest should be confused why Haskins wasn’t attached to Smith’s hip and on at least the same/similar schedule). It is perfectly reasonable to expect your 1st round QB to become the guy who arrives first and departs last, especially after teammate intervention. 

If Alex Smith is on your team AND Alex Smith is ALWAYS the first/last to arrive/leave...how could Haskins then be first/last to arrive/leave? 

Beyond that, how many of those times was it where Alex's car was in the parking lot, but he was doing individual rehab, training, etc?  I don't think it's a fair comparison to make, especially when you can't/won't articulate how he is preparing below what other 1st rounders ARE doing.  NOT what YOU would like to see/hear them to do.

Missing practices, falling asleep in meetings, hungover at walkthroughs...those are valid.  Not working as hard as a dude that had to work just to save his leg, then his career lacks perspective.  Especially when you're placing that on the shoulders of a 23 year old. 

My question is did you really expect him to navigate a new coach, new offense, and blossom in 4 games?  Like what jump were you expecting to see by now?  Do you think him sleeping in the facility 24/7 would've changed any of that?  (I don't) 

Edited by megared
19 minutes ago, gooseneck said:

Where are the Jeff George's of yesteryear?

Jeff George had an ok career. He probably had the best arm since Dan Marino. He had some good years in Atlanta and Indy. Never lived up close to his potential but he wasn’t an abject failure. If he had a better attitude he had hall of fame talent but wasn’t a complete waste. He must have played 10 or 12 years. He was supposed to be our super bowl QB under Dan’s free agent spree team in 2000.

1 hour ago, Painkiller said:

+1000

His attitude was the problem from the day they drafted him.  He has a screwed up sense of entitlement.   He clearly thought he should have been drafted first overall (or at least by his favorite  Giants instead of Daniel Jones).

Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees... those guys made themselves into elite QB’s.  And they earned their teammates respect through their actions.  When they messed up, they didn’t mope around or hang their heads...  they got pissed off and went to work.  They’re obsessed with being the best.  Anything short of that, you have zero chance of being a great QB.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Califan007 said:

I have and will never say "In (fill in the blank) I trust", ever lol...especially after:

"In Shanahan I Trust" brought us John Beck...

"In Scot I Trust" brought us Doctson, Cravens, and images of Dianna nobody should ever have to imagine lol

Well I sure as **** don't have any control, so I might as well have trust in the guy running the ship until proven otherwise. 😂

• TK changed the title to FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State
  • PCS locked this topic