Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

9 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

My guess is Scott gave Dwayne some “tough love” feedback during the film breakdown and Dwayne snapped and instinctively rocketed a football at his face.

Luckily, he threw it low and behind.

Thank God it wasn't Allen...he would have hit the secretary in the face instead.

On 10/2/2020 at 4:16 PM, joeken24 said:

I believed this idea to be true more than ever now.....

This team is in what I'll call the 4th preseason game this week. DH has had the full confidence of the entire organization. For the first time, in many years, there was no question who the starting QB is. Last year, I could see why DH was pressing. This year not so much. I believe this next game is going to make or break DH's opportunity to remain the starter. If DH continues to play the way he's playing, it does not allow this staff to properly evaluate the rest of this young offense. I truly believe this entire year is tryouts and DH is a part of that. But I think these 4 games will give this staff enough film to evaluate whether DH is the future since they did not draft him. The fact that this team is in first place is significant as well. If there is a possibility to do well and the team suffers because DH can't hit an out route or remains high on passes down the middle, I'm sure Ron can't just chalk it up to tryouts if there is a chance to give this team the possibility to make a playoff run. I really think DH's run is going be based on what the other teams in the division are able to do. 

Just what I suspected. I mean they already knew what they had in Allen. For DH, they allowed their own analysis to decide whether he was a good fit or not. They gave him all the first team practice reps, four live games and the full confidence of the entire organization. Everything a young QB needs to play well. But hey, its a new coach and that didn't draft Haskins. Ron drafted Allen. Hopefully Haskins can sit, watch and improve. But for all intents and purposes, he's pretty much out the league IMO. His current film doesn't show that he can hit the ground running. This is his second year in the league. He's got 2 years left to show he deserves another contract. If Allen plays well, DH is inactive (Alex will be second team I would think) the rest of the year and maybe cut the next if Alex continues to improve. He's got a big arm, so maybe he's got a future as a backup. But IMO, I think he's following in the footsteps of Cardele Jones who btw plays right here for the DC Defenders. Just a bad set of circumstances if you ask me. Maybe he should have stayed a couple more years at Ohio State.

46 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Predicting a QB or a coach will

fail with the Redskins is like predicting that the line at Chik Fil A will be long at lunch. Congrats to all you geniuses.

100% true. However, what kind of geniuses are the ones arguing against that? Making every possible excuse for a player who will inevitably be a complete failure? Twisting themselves into mental pretzels to defend throwing it to the 9 on 4th and goal from the 12? Claiming just one more week, month or season and he won’t be a failure like all the failures before him?

Assume bust and failure and once in a while you will be pleasantly surprised. Maybe for a game, month or season. It’s better than nothing.

1 minute ago, joeken24 said:

he's pretty much out the league IMO. His current film doesn't show that he can hit the ground running. 

NAh. He will get another shot somewhere (not here). But not as a starter, as a backup or 3rd string developmental guy and if he lands in a good situation with good coaching in time he could develop into a decent NFL starter - maybe even a good one. Though more likely he earns a decent amount of money to hold a clipboard for the next 4 or 5 years. Worse ways to make good money.

2 hours ago, redskins59 said:

Also, you can write 100 lines about this, but it was reported quite often that Haskins looked the best among the QB's.  I remember the media mentioning all of Allen's ints.

Now all of a sudden, Haskins is behind in development.

Question, then why did Rivera play Haskins over Allen? What does that say? If he was behind in terms of knowledge of the system, that would have been true from the start.

That is what Chris Russell was talking about on his podcast today

28 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

My guess is Scott gave Dwayne some “tough love” feedback during the film breakdown and Dwayne snapped and instinctively rocketed a football at his face.

Luckily, he threw it low and behind.

That sounds more like Donovan McNabb.. you mean over thrown and behind right?

2 hours ago, NickyJ said:

I guess the lesson is that playing on a practice field against your own defense just isn't the same thing as playing in a stadium against the Baltimore Ravens lmao

There was a text into the Czabe show that Ron's plan was to bench Haskins after the Cleveland game but wanted to give him the Baltimore game to **** the bed, thinking that afterwards he could just say "see", but when Dwayne looked meh against that really good defense it made it a less obvious thing and now makes fans think Ron never wanted Haskins

16 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

One of the reporters should have followed up when Rivera said guys were getting frustrated with Dwayne on the sidelines and he didn't want to lose them by continuing to play Dwayne by asking which players was he talking about. 

if its true though you'd expect Rivera though to sell those guys out?

In all likelihood, Cooley is right, basically Rivera is trying to be nice about this and is soft peddiling it publicly.   Heck most HC's do the same when they move on.  They come up typically with a nice excuse for it that doesn't level the player.   If they are looking to move on or trade a player, they soft peddle it.  Among other reasons, they don't want to nosedive that player's trade value.

As Sheehan-Finlay talked about it in a podcast, Rivera probably isn't a Haskins guy.   I really doubt he's deep down thinking this dude is the future but I am so committed to winning this season that i am going to bench my dude.  i seriously doubt Rivera thinks Haskins is the future.  But he's not going to destroy him in his press conferences laying out all his reasons for why he doesn't think Haskins is the dude. 

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

There was a text into the Czabe show that Ron's plan was to bench Haskins after the Cleveland game but wanted to give him the Baltimore game to **** the bed, thinking that afterwards he could just say "see", but when Dwayne looked meh against that really good defense it made it a less obvious thing and now makes fans think Ron never wanted Haskins

Even if that's true, so what?

I am torn.  I think Rivera was within his rights and I am a chain of command guy.  That said, it wasn't the decision I would have made.  And Rivera's comment about Allen having the same "unfair opportunity" as Haskins comes across as personal and unprofessional because it makes it seem like that tweet got under his skin which calls into question his judgment because then you don't know if he is being dispassionate or whether he was annoyed and acted impulsively.   That said I will root for the team and Rivera.  The franchise is a lot larger than Rivera.  But I am not 100% confident in how things are going.   

28 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

if its true though you'd expect Rivera though to sell those guys out?

Nope.  But I expect a decent sports media to follow up when a coach admits that he's got some team cancers forcing his hand on his quarterback.

I think it's clear Rivera was never really interested in developing Haskins and that this little preseason-esque dog and pony show during the first month of the season was his way of pretending like he gave developing Haskins a shot.  What's not at all clear is Rivera's long term plan for the QB position moving forward.  If it's not Kyle Allen, then it feels like he doesn't have one.  Which makes the '20 offseason look even worse in retrospect.

7 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

Indecisive Ron should have started Kyle Allen from day 1.

Ron needed to take any hope in Haskins and utterly destroy it. Choke all life out of the hope. Shoot any notion he is franchise QB in the head and leave it to rot on the side of the road so there are no delusions left. Then he could move forward with a clean slate. He left the car and took the cannoli. More modernly for the younger guys, this was his are you not entertained moment to Dan. Except, in this case, Haskins represented each victim of Russell Crow.

@stevemcqueen1, you can evaluate circles around me and most others here so this is not intended as an insult—but is it completely out of the realm of possibility in your mind that Haskins just ****ing sucks and doesn’t have it? You were the biggest Gabbert fan in the entire universe, and though that was almost a decade ago, everyone misses. 

Dwayne earned his benching. What exactly earned it? You don’t slip from starter to 3rd string and even 4th string in practice for nothing.

He will never start again.

How many NFL QBs came from Ohio St anyway?

Also, the record of college QBs playing only one season college isn’t good.::

2 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Ron needed to take any hope in Haskins and utterly destroy it. Choke all life out of the hope. Shoot any notion he is franchise QB in the head and leave it to rot on the side of the road so there are no delusions left. Then he could move forward with a clean slate. He left the car and took the cannoli. More modernly for the younger guys, this was his are you not entertained moment to Dan. Except, in this case, Haskins represented each victim of Russell Crow.

I love that your “modern” pop culture example is a movie that is over two decades old lol. Honestly probably shows a pretty good understanding of old school style message board demographics in 2020 (minus freaks like cooleyfan who found us young), but still it’s funny in that context. 

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

I love that your “modern” pop culture example is a movie that is over two decades old lol. Honestly probably shows a pretty good understanding of old school style message board demographics in 2020 (minus freaks like cooleyfan who found us young), but still it’s funny in that context. 

Dude I’m getting old. Wow.

46 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

For the love of God I hope that's not true. I hope we can all see why lol...

"It's not fair to the other players to have Haskins out there if he's not able to run the offense...well, unless I decide I want to waste a game knowing ahead of time he will suck so that I can say 'See?'...In that case, I don't care about what's 'fair' to the other players."

Archived