Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I haven't listened to it but I could have predicted that.  PFF seems schizophrenic on Haskins.  He's either an unpolished gem poised to explode or a bust waiting to happen depending on the PFF analyst. 

Sam Monson (the Irish one) is way more bullish than Steve was but honestly his point was that Haskins isn’t complete garbage and should be mentioned in the same breath as Kyler, Lock, and Jones. It wasn’t really a ringing endorsement 

Saw this in a twitter post re. Brees but thought it was worthy of mention here:

image.jpeg.07470437d96914f0aae15eeab3efeb01.jpeg

Yeah, I know that weeks 15 to 17 for Simba only amounted to 6 quarters but even so he finished the season in lofty territory.

Who knows 2020 just might turn into a breakout campaign for the stout armed former buckeye.

49ers had a powerful offensive identity and a good skill group too.  We lack those ingredients.  But this season is going to be crazy and the virus will disrupt the regular order of things.  We could win the Superbowl.  Any team could. The margin of talent is far smaller between NFL teams than most people think and avoiding the virus at the right times and with the right players could be what it takes to win a championship.  This is going to be the year where someone good like the Chiefs or Ravens or 49ers ends up picking too five and someone crazy like the Browns or Raiders or Jets wins it all.

I watched Rivera's press conference, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the key for Dwayne is they want to see his footwork-body and eyes go more in synch.  He praised Alex Smith for naturally playing that way in practice in a seamless way.   Then said it takes younger QBs time to do it the same way.

It sort of plays into Bullock's film work which showed Dwayne's struggles at times to throw balls around or past the numbers  (close to the side line).     Same thing I noticed last year watching cam practices.  As I've said on this thread if Dwayne gets that down, sky's the limit, because his accuracy IMO is really good in between the numbers. 

From the Phillips camp roundup article, this is great news, just what you want to see, and keeps the positive news train rolling on Haskins for me:

Even when the backup quarterbacks were in, Haskins was right behind them, taking the "mental reps" and going through the motions of what he would be doing. You can see how seriously Haskins took this offseason, and its a great sign for Washington fans.

We don't do well in this survey, not that it matters but for entertainment purposes, they got it this way:

1. Murray (I agree with that personally)

2.  Daniel Jones (I disagree but apparently I think higher of him than most on this thread)

3.  Drew Lock (I'd have him at #2)

4.  Minschew

5. Haskins (I'd have him at #3)

6. Stidham 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/29679936/nfl-execs-rank-potential-kyler-murray-daniel-jones-other-quarterbacks-2019-draft-class

As ESPN talked with more than 50 execs, coaches, scouts and players about the top players in the game, one question came up a few times unprompted from well-respected offensive minds and personnel guys:

What about Kyler?

That question was more an interjection as I rattled off some of the top names: Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Deshaun Watson and more.

Murray might not be a consensus top-10 quarterback in 2020, but he's coming. And fast.

"He's got something to him, man," one veteran NFL quarterback said. "He's got some magic to him."

Murray highlights a 2019 quarterback draft class that has a chance to flourish in 2020.

Last season was a mixed bag that saw Murray win offensive rookie of the year, but first-round picks Dwayne Haskins Jr. and Daniel Jones struggle on bad teams.

Gardner Minshew II showed enough to earn a starting job with a rebuilding Jacksonville Jaguars, while Drew Lock is well-stocked in Denver, and Jarrett Stidham has no promises in New England.

Here's where NFL execs rank the Year 2 quarterbacks entering 2020. We are keeping Stidham out of the top five, with an asterisk, because he didn't play significant snaps last year and the arrival of Cam Newton muddles his outlook.

I'm still pounding the coaching drum when it comes to Haskins. This staff--to say nothing of the organization as a whole--was a complete **** show. Jay had no interest in developing Haskins, and it showed in his early starts. Only to be replaced by 3-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust Callahan. Haskins isn't innocent in his early failures, but wow, that staff was awful.

Regardless of how bad his early starts were, Haskins was the only rookie QB that showed me consistent growth each and every week. Every other young QB either plateaued, regressed or cratered in some capacity. That shows me that Haskins was able to review his film figure out what he was doing wrong and make necessary adjustments. The other Rookies either lacked that ability, or didn’t have it to the same extent. Once there was some film on these young players for NFL defensive minds to chew on, most of these guys failed to deliver. Haskins rose where others fell.

I can not ask much more of my young QB. If that trend continues, not only will he be our future under center, he will be one of the better QBs in the league. I would expect all of these young signal callers to improve in year two, but once there is some new tape to go over, Haskins is the only one who has proven he can overcome defensive adjustments on the NFL level.

A zombie that has proven his ability to catch a guy is a valuable thing compared to a zombie that you can hope will catch a guy.

Yea, I thought that was an interesting insight from Ron. They are evaluating on a tiered approach, with good decision making being primary and then chained movement being the next step in growth. It makes sense and most of us who have followed Dwayne's progress have realized that College allowed him to play with an over-reliance on his arm strength that built bad habits in conflict with the chained movement that Ron is looking for. Rewiring those neural networks so everything is moving in unison, especially when under stress and duress is a big step for Dwayne. It's also what Saahdiq Charles is having to learn with marrying up his hand placement with his footwork, albeit for a different position.

37 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Yea, I thought that was an interesting insight from Ron. They are evaluating on a tiered approach, with good decision making being primary and then chained movement being the next step in growth. It makes sense and most of us who have followed Dwayne's progress have realized that College allowed him to play with an over-reliance on his arm strength that built bad habits in conflict with the chained movement that Ron is looking for. Rewiring those neural networks so everything is moving in unison, especially when under stress and duress is a big step for Dwayne. It's also what Saahdiq Charles is having to learn with marrying up his hand placement with his footwork, albeit for a different position.

Yeah I think it's smart to look at it that way. Almost every single QB is going to have some lag between his reads and his mechanics as he transitions between the college and NFL games. Expecting it to not be an issue would be a fool's errand. Rivera has experience with young QBs so he knows that it's just something that comes with the territory and that has to be re-learned and drilled in with repetition. 

5 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

People are severely sleeping on Montez Sweat. He'll be our sack leader this year. 

I may have been one of those people. I hope to be wrong. He does look good this far. 

Moses struggles to deal with speed. Both of our DE’s are custom built to give him issues. Chase Young is going to have a lot of 3 sack days on the Morgan Moses caliber/style OT’s in the league. 

I want to see Sweat vs Saahdiq Charles. 

2 hours ago, DCranon21 said:

A camp tweet. Sounds like we may have an issue at RT. Not good with our young QB. 

The Skins have zero issue at RT. Moses can be relied upon to hold down the right side without help. His value to the team is greatly undervalued around these parts. I get it on some level if a person were to say he’s paid $1-3 million too much(currently paid top 5-7 RT money). He’s comparable to Ryan Kerrigan. 

Yeah Moses isn't amazing but he's a solid player who isn't super expensive. I don't think we should be surprised that a guy like Sweat beat him. As others have mentioned, I think some people are underestimating Sweat and forgetting what a ludicrous athlete he is. He isn't as bendy or fluid as Chase but he is generally on the same level in terms of raw athleticism IMO. 6'6 260 lb guys who run 4.41 40s and 1.50 10 yard splits do not grow on trees. 

Archived