Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

I read one tweet and it seems like Haskins is doing pretty well.  Then I read someone else’s tweet about the same day of practice and they say he looks suspect.  It sounds like he’s doing alright, he at least hasn’t thrown any picks.

Dwayne could part the red sea, and you’ll still have people who say, yea, but he got water everywhere.  I’m not real sure what I should take from these practices.  Maybe if I just stick to a seeing eye, that I trust, like maybe JP Finlay?

40 minutes ago, wit33 said:

This is over his career or just last year? Look forward to seeing his numbers with competent coaching staff and scheme. 

Probably will have to get to get to top 5, much like Greene had to when your career numbers are more about longevity than being great to elite. I suppose that can happen. 

This is all I have for this topic. I agree Kerrigan is a step above Moses. 

I don't want to derail this thread off topic.  So I'll just say he mostly had the best O line coach arguably in the league most of his time here.  His PFF score last year rounds out to be about average for him, sometimes he did better, sometimes worse. 

Back to Haskins.  I don't love the O line-protection for him.  But hopefully I am wrong about it.  I think PFF among others are sleeping on our RBs which to me i think potentially among the best in the league not the worst.  Will see. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-what-all-32-nfl-teams-need-from-their-quarterbacks-in-2020

WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM: FAR BETTER POCKET PRESENCE

There were quite a few promising aspects to Dwayne Haskins' rookie campaign, not the least of which was how well he took care of the ball — the rookie signal-caller had just a 1.9% turnover-worthy play rate in 2019, fourth-best in the NFL — but there are still several things to work on.

As you would expect, most rookie quarterbacks struggle with the NFL pass rush in Year 1, and Haskins was no different. He simply has to improve his pocket presence from here on out, though, as he took a sack on 33% of his pressured dropbacks, the highest rate in the NFL by two percentage points (seven percentage points higher than third). He also invited in nine sacks himself, tying for the 12th-most at the position (keep in mind everyone ahead of him played twice as many snaps).

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

By all accounts from the beat reporters covering camp "Simba" has looked terrible.  I think 4 of 11 with turnovers;  guess all that patsy cake he played with Antonio Brown didnt help.  Better hope Alex is ready to go!

8 minutes ago, ggarriso said:

By all accounts from the beat reporters covering camp "Simba" has looked terrible.  I think 4 of 11 with turnovers;  guess all that patsy cake he played with Antonio Brown didnt help.  Better hope Alex is ready to go!

They also say Kyle has looked better in camp than Alex.

2 hours ago, ggarriso said:

It sounds like most beat reporters have said that he's been up and down. How is this surprising for a 2nd year QB coming into a brand new system that he hasn't even been able to practice before? Where did "4 of 11 with turnovers" come from?

I feel like you're speaking out of your rectum. 

@volsmet, It's not a bad throw.  It leads Inman and he has to make a catch at extension, it's just that Stroman makes an amazing play.  No idea if that was a good decision or not, but the throw seems fine from that angle.

Hmm, maybe Inman was expecting it to be further upfield and deeper in the end zone than leading horizontally?

38 minutes ago, mistertim said:

That guy is way off base. Trying to fan flames without a fire.

Tweet from Rhiannon Walker:

Greg Stroman comes up with the first interception of Dwayne Haskins in training camp. He beat Dontrelle Inman to the inside on the backside of the end zone. I guess he does like nice things. 

Dwayne may not look sharp, but its not like he is training camp Jimmy G out there. He has been doing fine. I’m pretty sure that is not his first pick, but he does not have many.

While players continue to rotate in and out of the OL I wouldn't read too much into how well or badly the QBs are doing, especially after a couple of days in a new system. It's hardly a surprise that we don't have a deep pool of OL talent to draw from; personally I think the line might reach the heights of being below-average provided that there are no injuries. Conversely we have a top tier DL (on paper at least), so Haskins is going to have no time and people right in his face every day of camp. It's probably not the best way to learn, but at least he won't be under any illusions about the protection he's going to get when the season starts.

This is where you want him to throw ints btw. Its a learning moment and you dont have to lose a game because of them. 

Didn't they say last year that people had to try not intercepting the ball in order to give him confidence or something and people went crazy? Im positive I remember needing to tell people that some old washed player of ours trying to make a name for himself as an insider reporting that didnt make it true. And then the kid had the least turn over worth plays out of all the rookie QBs and made it look like either it was complete bull**** or it didnt matter. And that was after his first game where he had like 5 when Gruden threw him to the wolves. 

Or am I miss remembering that and it was Griffin. Im honestly not sure at this point. I feel like I have lived 5 years in the last 5 months. 

First week in pads and in a new offense you'd expect a learning curve with the defense well ahead.  No need to call on Alex Smith who isn't really in the mix.  As much as Allen has performed, all accounts have said he's been bad.  I'd  expect some improvement by the end of next week with some sort of LT/RG combo shaping up.  They'll need to firm that up after next week.  3 weeks until Game 1. 

I could careless about INT in practice. 

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, mistertim said:

It sounds like most beat reporters have said that he's been up and down. How is this surprising for a 2nd year QB coming into a brand new system that he hasn't even been able to practice before? Where did "4 of 11 with turnovers" come from?

Follow JP Finlay or any of the other reporters; they all said he looked like piss.  One INT and somehow one strip while playing glorified flag football

26 minutes ago, ggarriso said:

Follow JP Finlay or any of the other reporters; they all said he looked like piss.  One INT and somehow one strip while playing glorified flag football

Have you previously been a supporter of Haskins? 

1 hour ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

4-11 came from the report in BREAKING NEWS section that followed the qb stats. He wasn't making that up. 

1 hour ago, ggarriso said:

Go look up Mahomes’ stats in training camp before his sophomore 2018 MVP season.  And his OL and weapons were much better than Haskins’. 

TC is where you experiment, learn, and grow. I much prefer he make his mistakes now rather than play it safe in practice like Kirk and Alex are known for. 

This is actually encouraging to see. Dwayne needs to get more aggressive than he was last season, not less. 

12 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

@volsmet, It's not a bad throw.  It leads Inman and he has to make a catch at extension, it's just that Stroman makes an amazing play.  No idea if that was a good decision or not, but the throw seems fine from that angle.

Hmm, maybe Inman was expecting it to be further upfield and deeper in the end zone than leading horizontally?

That throw was grotesque mechanically & mentally. 

11 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

I have no problem with a QB who gets picked where the DB has to make an amazing play.

That was a play 80% of jv hs soccer players could have made. It doesn’t matter on its own, but everything DH did, on that throw, will make his OC & QB coach vomit.

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

That throw was grotesque mechanically & mentally. 

Maybe?  I can't really tell where his body and feet are positions relative to the direction of the throw.  The camera angle makes it difficult.

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

That was a play 80% of jv hs soccer players could have made. It doesn’t matter on its own, but everything DH did, on that throw, will make his OC & QB coach vomit.

If that's true, shouldn't Inman have played the ball better to where HS soccer players couldn't beat him for the catch?

3 players, that Finlay and crew think need a good practice coming up, Haskins mentioned in that mix.  My take on any player, as I think just about all of us have rooting interest in every player to succeed.  I don't see the value in being right or wrong about a player if the result is that player failing if they are on our team.  Maybe if we were all auctioning for a GM job I'd get it but as Redskins fans we want everyone to kick butt. 

I try not to be predisposed though to a player whether its positive or negative as to performance where I dismiss anything that doesn't fit my preconception -- but I admit I at times fail to do so especially about the players I have man crushes on. 😀   

As for negative perceptions. That's sort of what I tried to do with Daniel Jones for example watching him with the Giants.  To my eyes, he was much better than I expected. I was predisposed not to like him and put some energy into making that opinion before the draft.  As for Haskins my thoughts about him has vacillated like a yo-yo, heck that was the case even pre-draft.  Sort of reminds me of how I felt about Kirk early on his career.  My perception changed almost week to week.   A Redskins equivalent maybe would be Geron Christian, though I haven't seen it with my own eyes yet.  I have been critical of Christian so good to see he's playing well in practice. 

As for Haskins, i am obviously rooting for the dude like I think 99% are on this thread give or take judging by the posts.  Didn't love him before the draft but that theory means nothing to me now.  This team won't be good if he isn't good -- simple as that.  He seemed to work really hard this off season which is awesome.  By some accounts he's not killing it in camp.   When I watched him last year in camp he struggled.  But he might be the type that it takes him awhile to find that rhythm.  Like a baseball pitcher in Spring Training.  Will see.  I lean positive on him now because of all the off season work.  

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-football/three-washington-players-who-would-love-put-together-strong-stretch-camp

Geron Christian

Haskins and Foster are on this list because they've been underwhelming. Christian, on the other hand, is here because he's been trending upward and obviously would benefit from that continuing.

Saahdiq Charles has yet to participate in an open session and is slated to miss at least a few more days due to his calf injury. That's left Christian and Cornelius Lucas as the lone options at left tackle, and Christian has been the one seeing the majority of snaps with the first-teamers.

A month ago, the thought of Christian opening the year as Washington's starter there didn't exist. It's absolutely in play now. But it'll be on him to keep improving, and that effort has to resume on Saturday.

As for Haskins, looks like its about finding his way with footwork.  Bullock who I think is good at what he does but far from perfect as to assessing players (no one is) had a man crush on Haskins but i noticed has been critical of his footwork at times.  

Screen Shot 2020-08-22 at 8.31.26 AM.png

Archived