Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

DH good: good attitude, some rare throws that few can make, getting the basics down more consistently.

DH frustrating: Doesn’t own mistakes, tends to think he could have beaten coverages even if he throws into them for an int. Young & ... more than confident in the arm.

Paraphrasing from bipeds in the know at camp.

8 minutes ago, volsmet said:

DH good: good attitude, some rare throws that few can make, getting the basics down more consistently.

DH frustrating: Doesn’t own mistakes, tends to think he could have beaten coverages even if he throws into them for an int. Young & ... more than confident in the arm.

Those same comments would have been accurate for Terry Bradshaw at a similar point in his career. 

Not saying,  of course,  that he's a young Bradshaw just that strong armed qbs that have out thrown coverage their entire career typically learn that they can't do it in the pros over time.  There is no substitute for in game experience. 

2 hours ago, volsmet said:

so he’s a Millennial. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Those observations match what I’ve seen from Haskins from the beginning through his transformative offseason.

I still have concerns with him. But I am feeling much better in his eventual ability to be a franchise QB.

One character trait that still gets to me is that he has never really seemed to own his mistakes, so seeing that as an observation is a bit unnerving. 

One character trait I have seen transform over the offseason that gives me a lot of hope is, other than the above, a different mindset and attitude towards the game and general preparedness.

1 minute ago, Xameil said:

Actually...he is.  I believe millennials are 23 to 36ish....he is 23

Semantics, but he's straight Gen Z.  You will find next to no similarities between those who grew up with a cell phone versus those who didn't.  Completely different lives because they grew up in completely different worlds.  Generations tend to be separated by events rather than every X (no pun intended) number of years.

Regardless, he's starting to act like a millenial compared to a typical Gen Z-all-about-me.  Nothing against the generation, that's just how they were brought up.

I jive with @KDawg on Haskins in general, as I would like to see him own up to his mistakes but I feel that is nearly cancelled out by the tremendous growth he's had since the selfie to miss the kneel down.

29 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Semantics, but he's straight Gen Z.  You will find next to no similarities between those who grew up with a cell phone versus those who didn't.  Completely different lives because they grew up in completely different worlds.  Generations tend to be separated by events rather than every X (no pun intended) number of years.

Regardless, he's starting to act like a millenial compared to a typical Gen Z-all-about-me.  Nothing against the generation, that's just how they were brought up.

I jive with @KDawg on Haskins in general, as I would like to see him own up to his mistakes but I feel that is nearly cancelled out by the tremendous growth he's had since the selfie to miss the kneel down.

Lol Ill tell you what I tell my wife (she hates when I call her a millenial, she's 36)...semantics or not, he is classified as a millenial in the actual definition of the word.

Just now, Xameil said:

Lol Ill tell you what I tell my wife (she hates when I call her a millenial, she's 36)...semantics or not, he is classified as a millenial in the actual definition of the word.

I mean you can call me your wife (I'm also 36), but that's kinda weird.  Anyway.

I would like to see your source, though.  When you Google, make sure you look at what the American Psychological Association says along with McKinsey.  That way you get the medical and business side of things.

You'll also find that there aren't clear-cut timeframes for this.

I usually don't indulge in these types of "debates", but I don't have my first meeting for like 20 minutes so why not?  Better than arguing over something that actually matters, which we don't seem to have a lot of with WFT recently outside of ownership.  This is a good top priority to have. :)

10 hours ago, volsmet said:

Doesn’t own mistakes ... 

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

... never really seemed to own his mistakes ...

43 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

... I would like to see him own up to his mistakes ...

Not disputing ... just curious ... any examples?

4 minutes ago, 09 said:

Not disputing ... just curious ... any examples?

The one I noticed recently was the Thomas Davis mic'ed up segment. He is trying to give Dwayne some advice on a throw he made not being a good idea and he would have blown up the receiver. Ended up having to argue with him for a bit about it.

@ConnSKINS26 thanks for your input.  I was referring to the negatives. Whatever generation he is, my point was in my experience many young  people tend to have a difficult time with self awareness and accountability. Sounds like they were Maybe referring to his throw that was picked by Darby who baited him into it, in the scrimmage. Maybe a little irrational exuberance..Hope he just keeps chopping wood, taking his lumps, and growing out of it.  Even with all that, he took pretty good care of the ball in those 7 games for a rookie in a terrible situation, so I’m optimistic. 

39 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I mean you can call me your wife (I'm also 36), but that's kinda weird.  Anyway.

I would like to see your source, though.  When you Google, make sure you look at what the American Psychological Association says along with McKinsey.  That way you get the medical and business side of things.

You'll also find that there aren't clear-cut timeframes for this.

I usually don't indulge in these types of "debates", but I don't have my first meeting for like 20 minutes so why not?  Better than arguing over something that actually matters, which we don't seem to have a lot of with WFT recently outside of ownership.  This is a good top priority to have. :)

I think ya took a little too many liberties on the wife comment...i mean you can fantasize if ya want but...lol

I got that from both Pew and Nielsen. That being said, I always found the generation thing as kinda BS.

Besides..im from the forgotten generation so **** you all and well...whatever..nevermind...

;)

58 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

The one I noticed recently was the Thomas Davis mic'ed up segment. 

just watched it again ... he was slightly argumentative/defensive ... but seemed to acknowledge what Davis was saying.

any definitive examples?

9 minutes ago, 09 said:

just watched it again ... he was slightly argumentative/defensive ... but seemed to acknowledge what Davis was saying.

any definitive examples?

I also thought that clip with Davis was a bit cringe-worthy. Davis was trying to help him out and saying "Hey, you're staring this guy down on that route and that's going to get jumped if you keep doing that" and Haskins basically tried to brush him off at first, then argued that he was wrong. That's annoying. At least listen to the guy and don't immediately get defensive. Davis has been doing this stuff a lot longer than Haskins. If it were me I'd immediately want to sit down for a minute with him and find out what he saw so I could fix it. 

14 minutes ago, 09 said:

any definitive examples?

Eventually, he was brushing it off at first and trying to say Davis was wrong. Im a big Haskins fan, thats just the one time I noticed myself so i threw it out there.

This IG post is a good indicator that he knows he’s got work to do, and it’s often himself he’s battling. That’s good and I think positive. Now there is a difference between, saying the things he knows people want to hear and really believing what he’s saying. It’s a process, He’s 7 games into his career, yes he has more Work to do. This was 2 days ago.

1A870B60-CE2C-40D1-BD17-898F821CA6E6.jpeg

18 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I also thought that clip with Davis was a bit cringe-worthy. 

9 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Eventually, he was brushing it off at first and trying to say Davis was wrong. 

Not completely disagreeing ... but fairly subjective to the "not owning mistakes" criticism.

Just looking for documented/concrete examples ... which should be easy/multiple since the critique is routinely parroted.

17 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

The Davis clip to me seemed more like Haskins was looking at it as a defense vs offense trash-talking moment, while Davis was looking at it more as a teaching moment. 

I really wouldn’t read too much into that very brief exchange. 

Very possible, that was just the vibe I got and I just immediately thought it was strange.

13 hours ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Those same comments would have been accurate for Terry Bradshaw at a similar point in his career. 

Not saying,  of course,  that he's a young Bradshaw just that strong armed qbs that have out thrown coverage their entire career typically learn that they can't do it in the pros over time.  There is no substitute for in game experience. 

Definitely. The enthusiasm for his development & mentality is legitimate; more than just some coach speak for the media & his confidence. 

1 hour ago, 09 said:

Not completely disagreeing ... but fairly subjective to the "not owning mistakes" criticism.

Just looking for documented/concrete examples ... which should be easy/multiple since the critique is routinely parroted.

Perhaps not the best way to phrase it, he just tends to think he could have made almost any pass work rather than accepting the defense had that option taken away & moving on. He is particularly quick to defend himself when its intimated that he was fooled or baited by a coverage. He takes tremendous pride in his arm, and twice as much in his mind, so he tends to defend his decisions a bit longer than a vet who may just tip his cap and move on. 

Teammates & coaches have been impressed by his work as well as his temperament through the ups and downs of the offense; he doesn’t blame the line when he has no time or get his head down after drops. He’s growing as a leader verbally & non verbally.

Must give thought to the mindset of a young player trying to earn the spot as a leader and starting QB and a vet coasting through another ho hum training camp. Davis has no worries vs Haskins fighting each day to be respected. I like the response to Davis while on the practice field, but hope there’s reflection going on off the field. 

Archived