Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

This staff has no interest in making things easy for DH, they have been switching up the O line, bringin heat to stress him under center.

It is

Color me unconcerned.

Not only is it forcing Haskins to work harder but it serves to keep him focused and maybe a lil humble.

That's what TC is for, test hard, find the cracks now

Some posters here are less concerned with sharing their opinion than they are in sharing their bias

16 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

This staff has no interest in making things easy for DH, they have been switching up the O line, bringin heat to stress him under center.

It is

Color me unconcerned.

Not only is it forcing Haskins to work harder but it serves to keep him focused and maybe a lil humble.

That's what TC is for, test hard, find the cracks now

Some posters here are less concerned with sharing their opinion than they are in sharing their bias

I agree. Kyle Allen who knows the offense isn't killing it. Apparently he is captain check down and will randomly throw deep into a double team.

It also appears just from an arm juice or athletic profile he isn't a threat to Haskins. Although none of the reports describe Haskins as dominating they have also quickly dismissed Allen as a threat.

45 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Rooting hard for Haskins. I REALLY don’t want to go into next off season feeling like we still need to find our QB.

I've been leaning positive because of the work ethic this off season.  I totally buy that his work ethic wasn't what it needed to be previously, since there is way too much evidence from a zillion corners that it was a concern.  A Ohio State reporter.  Pre draft concerns.  And here.  National and local sources.  But ironically I take more optimism from that than negativity because if he was that good in that one year at Ohio State without putting in the maniacal work that so many QBs do then imagine if he did?  And with Rivera saying his personality has transformed and we see a zillion videos of him putting in time -- I love all that.  Strikes me as a kid who was perhaps a bit immature who had the light turned on for him. 

But part of the reason why I haven't bought in yet that Haskins is almost for sure a franchise QB type of talent is his mechanics.  I am no QB guru so this is coming from a lay person so got no issue with anyone who disagrees with me.  I could be 100% wrong.  But as I've mentioned here when you watch the quarterbacks in camp throw balls again and again and again and again -- you feel like you get more of a sense for them especially in terms of their accuracy.   They'd do exercises where you'd see them throw 20 balls within 5 minutes.     And I watched a lot of practices. 

And I keep going back with Haskins to his struggles in that setting in throwing accurately once he had to leave the pocket.  And he really struggled with throws in the pocket that I thought were simple -- basically 5 yard throws in the flat around the numbers.  Those YAC type of throws.  And I saw him struggle the same way in games last season with the same type of throw.  Bullock who loved the dude before the draft (and still does), made the same point about his struggles with those throws in clips.  I can make fun of Daniel Jones for example and some of it is still justified.  And I do think Haskins is more talented.  But Jones is a clinician with those type of throws.  He will loop the ball ahead of the receiver, they catch it in stride and take a 4 yard throw in the flat into a 10 yard gain.  Jones has his weaknesses, too.  I am just bringing him up here because ironically I think Haskins' weakness is Jones strength.  And then on other counts its vice versa. 

Where I thought Haskins was good, somewhat like Kirk early on, are throws right in front of him, in between the numbers. And he could put some serious zip on them.  The type of throws that at times simulated the mesh route stuff they did at Ohio State a lot with him.  I also thought his mobility was sneaky good or at least decent.  And with him showing up to this camp in the best shape of his life, i am jazzed to see him take it up a peg.  I also think the dude is a gamer with a competitive drive.  

Based on the camp reports, sounds like he hasn't mastered his footwork issues and aligning his body to the throw.  From what I recall Bullock showed an example of Mayfield throwing a ball to his right in the flat around the numbers and he showed how he turned his body and aligned his footwork to that throw.  And Haskins doesn't always do that.  Rivera referred to that point recently and talked up Alex Smith specifically on the same subject about how he turns his body in the direction of his throws smoothly. 

But going to what i predict with Haskins.  I don't know.  I lean positive.   I don't think it's a disaster if he doesn't play well if the result is a top 2 pick.  You can land Lawrence or Fields.  I love Lawrence but haven't studied Fields, yet.   I listened to a couple of people among others in the off season on podcasts hype up Haskins, one was an Ohio State reporter, the other was a QB coach who worked with him.  If I recall it was the QB coach who couldn't hide that as much as he liked Haskins, he was more excited about Fields.   I thought it was almost funny because his job on the podcast was to hype Haskins and he did but then the subject switched to Fields and you can tell his love ran deeper for him than Haskins.  He basically saw Fields as potentially a Lamar Jackson type of runner (he thinks he's at 4.4 or better) but with a more talented arm.

Like you I want Haskins to be the guy.  And the camp reports haven't really swayed me off of him.  But I think we got a really small sample with Haskins thus far.  I am not going crazy about 2 games where he was great but it also deserves the disclaimer that he shredded atrocious secondaries.  Also I am not going to kill him for his early struggles.  The last 2 games indeed might be a sign of things to come.  But I am wary of small sample sizes -- negative or positive. 

Not saying my opinion is that different from anyone here.  I am usually quite willing to stick my neck out hard on an opinion about whomever the QB is here and i have the bruises to show for it.  😀  With Haskins I have a hard time really going in hard positive or hard negative.  But I'll get there.    And hopefully it's a hard positive, right now for me its a lean positive. 

8 minutes ago, SkinsFootball said:

I agree. Kyle Allen who knows the offense isn't killing it. Apparently he is captain check down and will randomly throw deep into a double team.

It also appears just from an arm juice or athletic profile he isn't a threat to Haskins. Although none of the reports describe Haskins as dominating they have also quickly dismissed Allen as a threat.

I've noticed Allen being dismissed as a threat for awhile.  He did get some hype when we initially got him.  Yeah I've heard two totally opposite takes on Allen, one from Finlay that he plays fast but he's captain checkdown and then the other was from another reporter (forgetting whom) that he takes too many chances.  

If I recall statistically speaking Allen was the worst in the NFL last year with the deep ball, forgetting where I saw it. 

20 hours ago, volsmet said:

That throw was grotesque mechanically & mentally. 

That was a play 80% of jv hs soccer players could have made. It doesn’t matter on its own, but everything DH did, on that throw, will make his OC & QB coach vomit.

Do you have a clip that shows more of that rep than the one second between the hashes view from 30 yards back?  Otherwise you're trolling because you can't see a thing from that view beyond Stroman breaking underneath and playing the ball.

23 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Do you have a clip that shows more of that rep than the one second between the hashes view from 30 yards back?  Otherwise you're trolling because you can't see a thing from that view beyond Stroman breaking underneath and playing the ball.

I've watched that clip several times, it doesn't look like Inman plays really soft there. I didn't see anything wrong with Haskins form...maybe someone with a sharper eye can point it out.

Really unfortunate that Zampese hasn't had the normal amount of time to work with his QBs this offseason.  Haskins' would have benefited significantly.  

Hope to see improvement in his accuracy (especially the avoidance of passes sailing high over the middle) as the season goes on.

4 minutes ago, RawRebel said:

I can just imagine all of the bad habits this team has to unlearn practicing under Gruden and Manusky for years. Rivera is not giving these guys a pat on the butt just for showing up.

These dudes are coming from this to Ron. Night and day would be an understatement.

Bg9MqW.gif

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've noticed Allen being dismissed as a threat for awhile. 

Easiest way to get clicks. If there is even a hint of something, somebody screams QB controversy.

Saw the exact same thing when Smith when he got cleared. All of a sudden people throw out the idea that he is a threat to Haskins job. Then you find out that he is not even allowed to participate in 11 on 11s. Dude is not taking anything away in that position.

Allen was never a large threat to take the Job. Smith is not either.

Short of injury or Covid nobody is taking Haskins job until he locks it down or gives it away. Without preseason, that can only occur after week 1.

Seeing coverage so focused on obvious clickbait makes me facepalm. Or at least it would if Zombie didn’t lose his hand the other day.

18 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Easiest way to get clicks. If there is even a hint of something, somebody screams QB controversy.

Saw the exact same thing when Smith when he got cleared. All of a sudden people throw out the idea that he is a threat to Haskins job. Then you find out that he is not even allowed to participate in 11 on 11s. Dude is not taking anything away in that position.

Allen was never a large threat to take the Job. Smith is not either.

Short of injury or Covid nobody is taking Haskins job until he locks it down or gives it away. Without preseason, that can only occur after week 1.

Agree, that its Haskins' job.  They would be nuts IMO to at least not give it a full go this season.  Alex is on the tail end of his career coupled with coming off of a horrific injury to say the least.  Kyle Allen was an UDFA who had a horrendous spell of games towards the end of last year.

You got to ride Haskins and see what he has this year.

Archived