Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

38 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Kyle Allen sucks, and training camp has shown that plenty. Your posts here that I can remember well enough to attribute to you are Kyle Allen-quality. 

Edit: And since you’ve been forced to create another username, I imagine I wasn’t the only one who thought this way about your posts. 

And this isn’t a homer thing. Maybe Haskins doesn’t work out. But it won’t be because Rivera was forced to give him the job over Kyle Allen.

dude..It was a sarcastic take on what absurdity the referenced poster might come up with in this situation, as all his defenses continue to crumble

13 minutes ago, skinbuck said:

dude..It was a sarcastic take on what absurdity the referenced poster might come up with in this situation, as all his defenses continue to crumble

I truly just thought you were the next iteration of that guy lol. That means you crushed it in your imitation 

I know I’m a total sucker but I’m through the roof excited about Dwayne. 

The talent is all there. He’s always had an elite arm and that was immediately evident. Another thing was his ability to sense edge pressure, I thought that was top tier right away, and that’s a big deal because that’s near impossible to overcome if you don’t have it (see Daniel Jones and his league-leading fumbling problem, and we’ll see if he’s improved there as he did say it’s something he’s worked on this offseason). 

But towards the end of his huge season in college you saw virtually every issue he had get improved upon in a significant way. Whether it was his issues handling interior pressure, his eyes moving where his feet don’t follow (and general mechanics/footwork), toughness, etc... by the end of that year none of them were real issues and some even became strengths like his toughness (he was too unwilling to get hit and would go down way too easily for a man his size early on, but when Ohio State started incorporating him more in the run game via the option it’s like the fear began to dissipate and was forced out of him). 

There was only one real big question left for me and probably the hardest thing to scout when it comes to projecting how a guy‘s skill set is going to translate in the pros, and that was his attitude. His willingness to work as hard as it takes to succeed at the pro level; his maturity and humility; and general leadership ability. And that’s not just a Haskins thing, that’s every talented QB coming out of college who thinks his crap doesn’t stink.

It didn’t start out very well, and I’m not going to do the easy fan thing to do and just dump it on the coaches or the situation itself. In terms of the situation itself, it was terrible, but unlike most fans I believe that’s neither his fault nor the coaches, that’s just organizational stupidity and mistiming (per the norm). What the hell do you expect to happen when you draft a young, raw QB that’s going to take time to develop but have a coaching staff that knew they were on their way out unless they win big immediately... stupid, stupid, stupid. None of that is hindsight, a few of us said as much immediately after he was drafted.

But here’s the thing. Though he didn’t handle it as well as you’d like, I think it was a great wake up call for him and if there were any attitude issues to get out of the way that (hopefully) did it. By all accounts he’s went all out this offseason. And Ron didn’t baby him, he made him earn it and even made sure there was no question about him having to earn it by bringing in Kyle Allen. Ron didn’t let him just point the finger and act like he was otherwise deserving. 

So, yeah, I’m super excited about Dwayne. I think it’s a bit unfortunate he’s having to learn a new system his 2nd year in, never mind COVID-19 and the obstacles it’s created. That’s never a good thing, at least not right away, so that puts a damper on things. But I think he’s a smart man who gets football at a very high level, so my bigger concern is really with the roster. I just hope we get lucky a little bit and a couple playmakers (besides Terry) on offense emerge quickly, because that’s possibly a killer for his ceiling this year. The resources spent there tell you that it’s unlikely, but you never know. Maybe Gibson emerges quickly or Inman surprises. Maybe TE doesn’t end up the cesspool it’s looking like. I’m actually ok about our Tackle situation. Yes, it sucks to lose a stud like Trent, but like I said, I believe Dwayne has a top tier ability in sensing edge pressure. The interior Oline, to me, matters more for Dwayne. Of course, we shall see how that goes at LG (and one really weak link within the interior can be devastating no matter how good the other pieces are), but C and RG at least look to be good. 

I just can’t help but envision this guy being really, really good. I’m hoping we get to see it right away this season.  Again, I’m a sucker and will probably have my heart broken... but I feel like the evidence is there! 😬

The fact that Haskins is looking good with the lack of weapons around him is extremely encouraging. He's at such a disadvantage going against our defense but he's holding his own and improving everyday, we really can't ask for much more. 

I wish Amari Cooper didn't take a dump on us this summer and joined the team. McLaurin, Cooper, and Sims would have been a great trio for Dwayne. 

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

The fact that Haskins is looking good with the lack of weapons around him is extremely encouraging. He's at such a disadvantage going against our defense but he's holding his own and improving everyday, we really can't ask for much more. 

I wish Amari Cooper didn't take a dump on us this summer and joined the team. McLaurin, Cooper, and Sims would have been a great trio for Dwayne. 

Can’t really blame him, the amount of guaranteed cash we were reportedly offering was a pittance compared to Dallas even if the general numbers seemed similar on the surface. 

21 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

These reports on Haskins honestly sound better than any young QB's weve  had. Mistakes, sure, but also putting together really good drives.

I agree with this. Can anybody remember the last time we had a QB look this good in camp? Probably Cousins, although I don’t really remember Kirk shining in camp that much. 

6 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Really nice pinpoint throw just where his guy can get it. But what I liked most about that clip was watching Dwayne's feet and how he reset them well when going through his progressions and moving on to Inman as his 2nd option. That was an issue he had last season. I doubt his problems there have completely disappeared but hopefully he's cleaned it up a decent amount. His footwork and mechanics were super erratic last year. 

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

I agree with this. Can anybody remember the last time we had a QB look this good in camp? Probably Cousins, although I don’t really remember Kirk shining in camp that much. 

I don't remember him doing that either, I remember Jay being frustrated that Kirk was doing the appropriate thing too much (checking down) instead of letting it fly in training camp.

I honestly can't remember a QB that had a good camp overall camp.

My hope for Haskins this year is that he sees the field well, moves the offense, racks up some yards and TD’s, but maybe has more INT’s than you would like. He’s had a few of those throws. 

If he shows he can sling it this year, next year we can add some weapons and OL help and try to work on reducing the turnovers. That would be a nice, hopeful, natural progression. 

Personally, I don’t think Haskins will ever rack up a lot of INTs. He has that innate ability a lot of QBs don’t have (the most underrated skill of Brady IMO) where he’ll place the ball where either his WR can make a play or no one can. It’s why he had one of the lowest turnover-worthy play-rates in the league last year, per PFF, even though he was also one of the most inaccurate QBs last year. 

11 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

My prediction is Dwayne will be a team captain and throw for 3500 yards 22 TDs and 14 Ints on 63%. A great bounce back season and it will be obvious that he needs help on offense.

I hope his TD to int ratio is alot better than 22-14. Im hoping around  27 - 11.

Just now, Burgundy Yoda said:

Better than 1:1 though right? I get the feeling Haskins is going to be a bit of a gunslinger/risk takers with his throws. I made a lot of risky passes last year I thought. 

I kinda thought that as well but as @HTTRDynastynoted above, Haskins actually had a super low rate of turnover worthy throws. (I want to say that was per PFF but I can't remember off the top of my head).

Haskins protects the ball.  What I don't want to see is him getting lit up all the time in the pocket.  That's my fear, much more so than throwing picks.  It's going to take forever for our vertical passing to open up unless we can keep the safeties in the box via the run.

I just want to see him keep the chains moving for long drives and protect the ball.  Horizontal passing game and run game to possess the ball and grind out defensively-powered wins.  See how far we can ride that formula. 

47 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I kinda thought that as well but as @HTTRDynastynoted above, Haskins actually had a super low rate of turnover worthy throws. (I want to say that was per PFF but I can't remember off the top of my head).

Jesus, I just read what I wrote and it barely makes sense. That's what I get for being on here while at work I guess. 

That's interesting, it really did seem like he had a few more plays that could have been interceptions. The McLaurin reception on Tre Boston literally went right through Boston's hands to get to Terry, plus the miraculous reception where Terry pulled the ball right out Mayes hands were all near ints. Dwayne must have had a lot of unlucky interceptions compared to other QBs.

Here’s an article from PFF related to Haskins’ turnover-worthy plays: https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-the-case-for-building-around-washington-qb-dwayne-haskins

He had just seven touchdowns to seven picks, but he actually had fewer turnover-worthy plays than interceptions. Typically, those numbers work in reverse (defenders drop a lot of would-be picks, so the number of interceptions is usually lower than the number of plays that should have been turnovers). Daniel Jones, for example, had 31 turnover-worthy plays compared to just 12 interceptions. Murray had six more, and Minshew had 12 more. Haskins, in fact, was the only rookie passer to end up with more turnovers than turnover-worthy plays, and that skews the narrative.

Haskins actually had by far the lowest turnover-worthy play rate (2.3%) of any of those rookie passers. But of course, mistakes are only one part of the story. Avoiding mistakes but rarely making any big plays on the other side consigns a passer to life as a “game manager,” which in today’s league might as well be synonymous with “career backup.” 

Haskins was definitely too conservative at the start of his playing time, and overall, he ended the year with just seven touchdowns and eight big-time throws, but what’s interesting was how he opened up as the season wore on. Indeed, while it had been Terry McLaurinthat had been looking like a star all year despite the quarterback play, suddenly he couldn’t haul in a couple of Haskins’ best throws.

McLaurin_Drop.gif

Take this play as an example. McLaurin wins on his release one-on-one at the line of scrimmage. This is a green light for any quarterback to put the ball in the air and give his receiver a chance to make the play, and Haskins does exactly that and throws an accurate deep pass to his top receiver. 

While McLaurin had been bailing out his quarterbacks all season long, on this occasion, he lets the ball sail right through his hands, giving Haskins an incompletion on the stat sheet where he should have had a big play. This isn’t to criticize McLaurin outside of this one play but instead serves as a reminder that the quality of the supporting cast is only ever a general guideline when it comes to evaluating quarterbacks. As much as McLaurin helped Haskins on the season, he hurt him on this particular play, and that’s why only the PFF grades can paint an accurate picture.

Overall, all of the rookies actually had remarkably similar big-time throw rates, and while Haskins (3.7%) was marginally behind Jones (4.1%) and Murray (4.0%), it was a far closer thing than just looking at the raw number of touchdowns — a number influenced by receivers, defenders, etc. — would have you believe, thanks to plays precisely like the one above.

Haskins didn’t have the best accuracy numbers from the group (fourth in adjusted completion rate, second to last in advanced ball-location charting accuracy), but he also had the highest average depth of target of the group (9.1 yards) and only Terry McLaurin when it came to reliable receiving options. 

From Week 13 onward, Haskins had an overall PFF grade of 78.0, six points higher than any other rookie (Jones at 72.2). This is a sample size of just 120 dropbacks, so from a statistical standpoint, it is a very unsound way of predicting anything, but it’s a notable data point given the context of uncertainty about Haskins’ ability.

I don't care about the stats. As long as Haskins shows steady improvement as the season goes on I'm good.

And if he sucks, then I hope he SUCKS bad enough that we just easily cut bait and move on and go after a QB in next year's loaded class.

Basically, what we don't want is another Jason Campbell situation where he's not very good but never really awful enough to want to completely move on.

25 minutes ago, RawRebel said:

Imagine if Jeremy Sprinkle caught 60 percent of the passes thrown to him, Haskins would've had a much better completion percentage. 

Im hoping Logan Thomas can overtake him.  D. Hall mentioned that Sprinkle will be in the mix though (sigh).  And Ron believes Sprinkle may be our best blocking TE, so there’s that too.  Safety valve tight ends are what Dwayne needs.  Banking on Thomas.

Archived