Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

It’s camp and we should not overreact either way - but Haskins is stacking good days back to back and getting positive comments from Rivera. 

Meanwhile Allen is not taking any reps with the 1’s in 11 v 11 and Rivera comments on that ‘Haskins needs every rep we can get him’.

I think it was clear anyway personally but Haskins is the starter going into the season. We will see what he does with the opportunity.

39 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I never understood some people's insistence that Kyle Allen could or would start.  None of that made sense.

Because they didn't trust Haskins and Allen knew the system. 

And to be fair, if Haskins hadn't really committed himself during the off-season, Allen might be starting week 1.  

But he did.  So, here we are.

35 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Because they didn't trust Haskins and Allen knew the system. 

And to be fair, if Haskins hadn't really committed himself during the off-season, Allen might be starting week 1.  

But he did.  So, here we are.

But for a QB that needs experience the most, and he gets the most motivated to train hard when the spotlight is on, having him be the backup is just guaranteeing bust status.  It delays his development even further.

Even though Kyle Allen knew the system, we also knew his struggles.  Our team was bad, we beat them, in part because Kyle Allen didn't have the chops to make plays when the scheme didn't create it.

Unfortunately, simply talking football on the ES, gets some into their personal feelings about players they “like-like”. Imagine a world where one person could walk you through this without needing to sift through the defensive emotions of grown e-men. 

It was - foretold:

A8CF996F-25D1-4D1D-9358-603B024319CC.thumb.jpeg.8588752c5e05baab24b4449e99d3b8b4.jpeg

On 8/5/2019 at 10:51 PM, volsmet said:

Absolutely can’t wait. I expect it to be tough, but it’s the first chance for Haskins to see a glimpse of NFL speed ... how he adapts will be fascinating, I’m really excited for the kid I just hope he gets time. The more he sees the speed, the less overwhelming it will be... the X’s & O’s will be fine if he gets time. DH struggles anticipating windows v zones, but he can make some of the most impressive throws over/through zones you’ll see. 

On 10/26/2019 at 11:46 PM, volsmet said:

In this thread I asked the ESperts to watch the Nebraska game & share what they saw... nobody saw anything real, but I shared that I was trying to point how his struggle to process the different zones Neb was falling into

On 8/8/2019 at 10:57 PM, volsmet said:

DH can’t process zones, that will take time

On 7/31/2019 at 11:20 AM, volsmet said:

DH needs to see zones non stop, he struggled fairly significantly v them in college, it’s a more complicated read, but it’s also where he showed the most growth. Nebraska, Washington, Purdue games showed him confused one snap but his ability to put the bad plays behind him displayed uncommon maturity for a guy with such limited experience. Psu kept him pretty limited, but then Michigan had no success with their zone d v DH ... it was interesting watching him process the different looks from one week to the next, it’s going to be a ridiculous jump to seeing nfl speed & windows when his feet & rhythm are issues ... long way to go, but the potential, work ethic & attitude are all special.

I think many, not you, underestimate where he struggled & how that translates early. 

On 6/22/2019 at 12:07 AM, volsmet said:

The leap he made in that game was his reads v zones, the area he struggles with the most,

On 5/29/2019 at 1:14 PM, volsmet said:

HS & has made all of those starts as the most well protected QB at his level, with the most explosive weapons, with significant struggles v zones...

On 5/22/2019 at 1:07 PM, volsmet said:

then he saw the best zone D in the country, v Washington, who gave him more problems. PSU & Wash both pressured out of zones more than anyone else & they gave DH the biggest issues.

@volsmetfrom what you saw, was it more an issue of his pre-snap reads of zone defenses or post-snap? NFL coverages do a lot more disguising of their zones and shift after the snap than most college zone defenses. Curious if that was one of the big issues he ran into or if it was just NFL level zone defenses in general that messed with him. 

2 hours ago, volsmet said:

Unfortunately, simply talking football on the ES, gets some into their personal feelings about players they “like-like”. Imagine a world where one person could walk you through this without needing to sift through the defensive emotions of grown e-men. 

This passive aggressive ass projection.  I call you out for talking out of your butt and you get all pissy and insulting about it and now we're the ones who are childish and defensive?

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

@volsmetfrom what you saw, was it more an issue of his pre-snap reads of zone defenses or post-snap? NFL coverages do a lot more disguising of their zones and shift after the snap than most college zone defenses. Curious if that was one of the big issues he ran into or if it was just NFL level zone defenses in general that messed with him. 

Post snap, it’s just about seeing it a million times - it’s a different game, different timing, different throws, different subtleties that tend to require more experience. He was improving v a variety of looks at OSU, it was what I was most impressed by because that only improves with study & the ability to take what you practice onto the field. 

So, he was last v zone & some goofy folk/s would have you believe that the only person to forecast something so specific simply made a lucky guess. Perhaps, just trolling. Then again, accusing others of trolling seems a bit trollish. Either way, it makes this place a bit less enjoyable.

There's no formula for leadership. It's innate. 

Last year Haskins didn't have it. It wasn't completely on him, the team was fractured from the top down. This year, he seems like a different person, on the field and off, in the huddle and on the sideline. 

Let's be clear, there still is plenty of room to grow. Alex Smith is the first QB on the field seemingly every day, and the guess is Rivera would love for that to be Haskins. But some things take time, or some people are just different. There's zero evidence to support Haskins needing to work harder or hit the books more. Some of those assertions came last year, and early on, some of them were true. This year it's just not the case. 

Ultimately, the best leadership will come from wins. Late drives for go-ahead touchdowns. Smart football and great football. 

Haskins has made impressive throws all of camp, he's got serious talent, but while not too frequent, the misses have been bad too. Great quarterbacks not only make great throws, but they limit bad ones. 

It's a work in progress with Haskins, but it's miles away from this time last year. Perhaps most importantly, Rivera sees the drive from Haskins.

The drive to win, the drive to lead, and that can go a long way. 

"I just think more so than anything else is his desire to learn and win. He wants to win. He’s a tough critic on himself, you see that," Rivera said of his presumptive QB1. "He’s not only demonstrative, but he does know when there’s a good play. That’s one thing, I’ll tell you that. He gets excited, he really does. It’s fun to watch young guys grow."

1 hour ago, skinbuck said:

It seems Rivera crumbled under Dan's pressure and just handed 'Simba' the job. Would've loved to see what Kyle can do with equal first-team reps. Now we're stuck with the selfie-king for the season..

Sincerely

ggarriso

Kyle Allen sucks, and training camp has shown that plenty. Your posts here that I can remember well enough to attribute to you are Kyle Allen-quality. 

Edit: And since you’ve been forced to create another username, I imagine I wasn’t the only one who thought this way about your posts. 

And this isn’t a homer thing. Maybe Haskins doesn’t work out. But it won’t be because Rivera was forced to give him the job over Kyle Allen.

Archived