Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

4 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

As much as I want Chase and the defense to be awesome, I’m rooting even harder for Haskins. If Haskins can be a top 10 QB, this team has it made. We will be in contention for 10 years. If he’s a bottom 15 QB, we are still the Cleveland Browns or NYJ. 

I agree, however I don't think it's that black and white. As long as he's average, they'll do well. 

We saw that when Alex Smith was at the helm. If you can get the defense and ground game performing at a high level, you're golden. 

The Rivera hire speaks to ground game and defense. 

If Reuben Foster and Holcomb are out there healthy and playing smart, the sky is the limit for that front seven. 

39 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

I agree, however I don't think it's that black and white. As long as he's average, they'll do well. 

I think with Turner at OC, the short passing game to RB’s etc will be as big as the running game 

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I think with Turner at OC, the short passing game to RB’s etc will be as big as the running game 

Yeah, we have to remember that Turner is the OC. I sort of doubt RR will be overruling him or butting in to call plays a lot. He'll obviously be the final word in overall game preparation and in general on game day, but I feel like he's a guy who can delegate well and trusts the people he hired. 

Turner runs a relatively pass-happy offense it seems. 

3 hours ago, Silvernon said:

We saw that when Alex Smith was at the helm. If you can get the defense and ground game performing at a high level, you're golden. 

If Reuben Foster and Holcomb are out there healthy and playing smart, the sky is the limit for that front seven. 

Alex Smith/Kirk Cousins level of play on his rookie deal is what the team really needs. If he doesn’t prove to be game changing, then  recycle him and bring in a value veteran/draft another rookie. So it’s not just about him achieving an average level of play, but when he does it.

Top 20 QB play next season for Haskins has tremendous value to the team. 

Only pay the elite at the QB spot. 

On 8/14/2020 at 6:31 PM, Anselmheifer said:

As much as I want Chase and the defense to be awesome, I’m rooting even harder for Haskins. If Haskins can be a top 10 QB, this team has it made. We will be in contention for 10 years. If he’s a bottom 15 QB, we are still the Cleveland Browns or NYJ. 

Yep.  Love the story of Alex Smith, I've always thought he was a super cool person and leader.  But I think as a Qb he's been mostly average throughout his NFL career.   If the Chiefs thought he was the dude to take them to the promised land they would have kept going on that ride.  Love the idea of Alex as the backup QB because arguably he brings intangibles that some have questioned in Dwayne.  So I think Alex would bring out Dwayne's best. Plus Alex > Kyle Allen. 

My point is Dwayne has the higher ceiling than Alex.  Alex aside from arguably one year has never been a great QB.  He's been mostly average to good.  Haskins has the ability to be great.  I'd play out that script. 

Dwayne's career is on the line.

New coach.  

New offense to learn.

An aging veteran, coming off a major injury, will compete with him for the job.

An abnormal offseason/training camp.

Dwayne needs to seize the moment. If he can't beat out Smith; that's a bad sign.  If he doesn't show, he's the future; that's also a bad sign.

IF the decide they need to move on next year and draft a QB, they will.  It's up to Dwayne to prove to Washington, he's the guy.

If he can't; then he'll probably suffer the fate of Josh Rosen.  He went from first round draft pick, to being traded in year 2. Now, he's a third string QB and his career will probably be over soon.

We've been debating the topic some here as for young talent.  ESPN ranked us as #11, pretty good.  It's by the Football Outsiders guys using their anayltics. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/29602474/ranking-all-32-nfl-teams-their-25-talent-2020

Here's their top 10.

1.  Ravens

2.  NY Giants

3.  Cardinals

4. Bills

5. 49ers

6. Steelers

7.  Jags

8.  Browns

9. Texans

10.  Chiefs

4 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Well those two guys have very different views on who Haskins is as a player.

I haven't listened to it but I could have predicted that.  PFF seems schizophrenic on Haskins.  He's either an unpolished gem poised to explode or a bust waiting to happen depending on the PFF analyst. 

56 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

PFF seems schizophrenic on Haskins.  He's either an unpolished gem poised to explode or a bust waiting to happen depending on the PFF analyst.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Well those two guys have very different views on who Haskins is as a player.

PFF does that to all fringe players. They will post articles that highlight a players strengths and then another that points out their many flaws. They really like to play both sides of the fence. I like their data gathering team but man, their opinions are near worthless to me.

Don't believe me? test it. I haven't looked, but I'd bet my rotten left kidney (never bet the good one) that Daniel Jones gets the same treatment.

Archived