Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Yeah pass on OBJ and AB for me. OBJ is going to be way too expensive in picks + contract and while he's ultra talented, as has been stated above, he's a headache and a prima donna who will pout and throw temper tantrums if he doesn't get his way. He reminds me of T.O. with stupider hair.

As far as AB, he's clearly just completely out to lunch and is beyond being a mere garden variety "headcase" now. He seems legit mentally unbalanced. Combine that with the fact that he keeps getting suspended and isn't exactly a spring chicken at 32 and it's a hard pass for me. 

I'd rather take a swing at Godwin next season (though I doubt he hits the open market) or maybe Allen. I'd consider AJ Green if he shows he can stay healthy this season...but after the last couple of seasons that seems like a big "if".

Hopefully we'll get lucky and either Gibson or AGG will turn out to be great picks and will be able to develop good chemistry with Haskins. I agree that losing Harmon was a pretty big loss for Haskins as he played a role as a security blanket at times.

Even given the standard that hes a professional athlete, its pretty amazing what DH has done in one offseason. Thats some ****ing dedication. If he does that every offseason he could be amazing. 

Dude doesnt even look like the same person. I wanna be like him when I grow up

Dwayne looks good, how he transformed his body..Hope he impress in training camp and beat out Kyle Allen and Alex Smith, I'm a big supporter of Haksins..

but like the some of  y'all had said, wish we had an establish WR to go with him also, wouldn't have mind getting Emmanuel Sanders when he was available , Also saying that, I like our core that we have at WR, hopefully AGG and turn into something special, and losing Harmon was huge.

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I really wish we would have taken the TE position a bit more serious the last 4 or 5 years, so we'd have a reliable vet at that position for Haskins.

Agreed. 

At minimum there should be a 3rd or 4th round draft pick heading into 2nd or 3rd year on the roster. 

Just now, wit33 said:

Agreed. 

At minimum there should be a 3rd or 4th round draft pick heading into 2nd or 3rd year on the roster. 

We've known for a while that we'd eventually have a young QB. We knew Reed and Davis were good for a half a season and weren't in a long term plan. We've been through some TE heavy drafts. I don't know if it was Jay, Kyle or Bruce who made those decisions, but what a mistake.

The irony, Haskins slimming down, Jones trying to go the other way. 

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

We've known for a while that we'd eventually have a young QB. We knew Reed and Davis were good for a half a season and weren't in a long term plan. We've been through some TE heavy drafts. I don't know if it was Jay, Kyle or Bruce who made those decisions, but what a mistake.

The way they handled TE hasn't been hot.  Jay even bemoaned during the previous offseason that their one dimensional TEs made it much easier for defenses to cue in on their offense's tendencies, yet they did zilch pretty much that off season and now this one.  The upcoming draft looks especially loaded at TE, I'd presume and hope they finally do something, then.   We probably have one of the weakest TE groups in the NFL. 

Hearing Rivera just about flat out say they were going to pick Trautman but he was taken right before their pick, pains me. 😪  He didn't mention Trautman specifically but what he said perfectly matches up to where Trautman was picked. 

Maybe, Gandy-Golden emerges as a rookie like McLaurin?  I was high on McLaurin before that draft.  I liked but didn't love Gandy-Golden before this draft.  I did love Gibson, though.  But I am warming up more to Gandy-Golden.   The dude has size.  Contested catch guy.  If he really has burner speed versus the 4.6 he was timed at the combine, that would really get me going. 

We always get hype stuff like that every training camp.  I can believe he runs a bit faster than the 4.6, but in the 4.3's?  No way.  You could persuade me it was a bad combine for him and he actually runs a 4.5 instead.  But that much faster?  I don't think his college tape showed that.

Remember when Ryan Grant suddenly figured out how to run faster in one training camp?  I'm calling shenanigans on a big speed jump.

Biggest thing with AGG is he's a quick learner, and appears to be highly intelligent.  I think with that and his size, he'll find a way to get himself onto the field.

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hearing Rivera just about flat out say they were going to pick Trautman but he was taken right before their pick, pains me. 😪  He didn't mention Trautman specifically but what he said perfectly matches up to where Trautman was picked. 

Ugh. I hate being reminded of this. Trautman was my pick in the 3rd and I was so pissed when NO traded up to get him. 

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe, Gandy-Golden emerges as a rookie like McLaurin?  I was high on McLaurin before that draft.  I liked but didn't love Gandy-Golden before this draft.  I did love Gibson, though.  But I am warming up more to Gandy-Golden.   The dude has size.  Contested catch guy.  If he really has burner speed versus the 4.6 he was timed at the combine, that would really get me going

Football speed is so different than track speed.  Much more dynamic, much less formulaic.  WR is one of those positions where most of the best guys run in like the 4.5s and then they are out there in the field just burning guys up and getting really really open.  The 40 is a drill that will occasionally confirm that the fast guys are fast, but we don't really need it at all TBH.  At least not for receivers anyway.  Mike Thomas, DaVante Adams, DeAndre Hopkins, Antonio Brown, AJ Green, Jordy Nelson, Adam Thielen, Larry Fitzgerald, Mike Evans, Kenny Golloday, JuJu Smith-Schuster, etc. All guys who time around that 4.5 area, and basically a whose who if the best receivers of the decade outside of the bonafide track stars like Julio Jones and Tyreek Hill and the really obviously fast guys like Amari Cooper and OBJ who ran low 4.4s.

Gandy-Golden is surprisingly explosive.  You expect him to run like a big receiver but he looks smaller on the field than he really is because he is pretty well proportioned and his movements are explosive.  He's got a shorter stride than I expected.  And he is a capable deep threat who has build up speed.

But the biggest reason to get excited about him is how smart he is.  That is a must for becoming a great receiver.  The really great receivers of the NFL aren't going to hit the market.  Gandy-Golden is the kind of raw talent who can reach an elite tier while growing up with Haskins.  But I don't see him getting close to that level next year.  He has to get stronger and better at handling the physical aspect of NFL coverage to thrive.  He's going to need time.

14 hours ago, mistertim said:

Ugh. I hate being reminded of this. Trautman was my pick in the 3rd and I was so pissed when NO traded up to get him. 

He was one of my guys too.  It pained me more when I read about how Sean Payton loved him and why they traded up for him.  Payton knows his way around offensive players.

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Football speed is so different than track speed.  Much more dynamic, much less formulaic.  WR is one of those positions where most of the best guys run in like the 4.5s and then they are out there in the field just burning guys up and getting really really open.  T

Agree.  Part of the reason why i liked but not loved Gandy Golden was of the games I watched and in turn did my assessment of, I didn't find him as good at separating as some of the other receivers in this class and that was playing against inferior competition like U Mass, etc.  But I liked his catch radius, hands, and ability with contested catches and YAC.  He struck me as maybe a souped up Kelvin Harmon, better YAC guy than Harmon, Harmon the better blocker.   Harmon like Golden in college had his share of deep ball catches.   With Golden many of those TDs that I saw had a defender draped on him or close enough. 

He didn't strike me that fast watching him. Not slow though either.  In contrast, McLaurin to me indeed looked fast at Ohio State.   In a similar way, Gibson to me looked obviously explosive when I watched him, I picked him as one of my guys when we made our list on the draft thread the the day before the draft. 

Gandy-Golden can hit the 2nd gear fast which I like and helps him with YAC.   Another big guy, Claypool, who actually did time fast, didn't to my eyes hit the 2nd gear fast enough and in my view plays slower to his timed speed -- to play into your point. 

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

But the biggest reason to get excited about him is how smart he is.  That is a must for becoming a great receiver.  The really great receivers of the NFL aren't going to hit the market.  Gandy-Golden is the kind of raw talent who can reach an elite tier while growing up with Haskins.  But I don't see him getting close to that level next year.  He has to get stronger and better at handling the physical aspect of NFL coverage to thrive.  He's going to need time.

I agree with this part.  I made a similar point on the receiver thread. 

I just stumbled on the article below while I was looking for something else.  I am posting it here because some on the thread recently questioned the whole Snyder story relating to Haskins.  And most trust Keim.  That's who the story was from.  And a number of local and national reporters had similar stories and no one had a counter story to this at all.  

But to preempt the ones who say the spirit of the Dan story is to disparage Haskins.  It's quite the opposite.  It's about positivity.  So please don't take this out of context.  What regurgitated this discussion was @Voice_of_Reason made the point on this thread that looks like Dan finally got one right.  And I agreed with him.  I think Dan after 20 years might finally be able to take a victory lap after all of his misses.  So I'll give him props if so. Will see.   😀  I can pretend Dan had nothing to with it (I am generally not a fan of Dan) but that would be unfair to him if Haskins succeeds and I think he will. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28276910/what-went-wrong-redskins-president-bruce-allen-next

As for the Redskins' current starter, long before the draft there was a sense they would take Haskins with the No. 15 pick -- no matter how their board stacked up. Snyder had dropped Haskins' name throughout the year, telling people he was the best player in the country. Like Snyder, Allen liked the Heisman Trophy finalist who threw 50 touchdown passes and eight interceptions in 2018 at Ohio State.

With quarterback Alex Smith's career in jeopardy after a leg injury -- although he said Monday that "without a doubt" he wants to play next season -- the Redskins needed a replacement. But opinions varied on Haskins (some in the organization graded him as a third-rounder), with some believing it would take up to two years to develop him into a starter with Gruden on a white-hot seat.

At the time of the NFL draft last April, multiple sources said it became a foregone conclusion Snyder and Allen wanted Haskins. Snyder sat in on the interview with the Buckeyes QB at the scouting combine. As one staffer said, "There was no point arguing with the owner and the president."

Wow. I wonder who on our staff had him graded as a 3rd rounder. Most seemed to have him graded as a 1st or 2nd rounder. 

As far as Dan and that story, it's sorta hard for me to see it as positive that he was directly interfering and overruling football people (again). Yeah, if he ends up being right then he did a good job in getting Haskins, but that's sort of circular logic and revisionist history. 

Different people weight different skills more or less.

I can see someone who thinks QB's have to be able to throw on the move, need quick feet (to reset their base), and need more starting experience knocking Haskins grade because of those things.

But that also means they don't weight mental makeup, arm talent, comfortability doing flat and touch passes, and shown ability to go through multiple reads on a play nearly as much as the previous things.

It's possible.  Maybe that scout/whoever thinks most QB's bust if they can't do the first few things.

44 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I can see someone who thinks QB's have to be able to throw on the move, need quick feet (to reset their base), and need more starting experience knocking Haskins grade because of those things.

I actually think Haskins was way better than expected in those areas last year. And that was before his weight loss. I think where Haskins struggled was in reading the defense quickly and getting the ball out. He was miles better in the end of the year, but still took some bad sacks. 

He was very good at reading the defense and getting the ball out quickly in college. I expect he will look better this year

10 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I actually think Haskins was way better than expected in those areas last year. And that was before his weight loss. I think where Haskins struggled was in reading the defense quickly and getting the ball out. He was miles better in the end of the year, but still took some bad sacks. 

He was very good at reading the defense and getting the ball out quickly in college. I expect he will look better this year

Agreed. His mobility and ability to move within the pocket was a pleasant surprise, as he didn't really do it much in college which seems to have led (along with his awful 40 time) to the assumption that he wasn't really capable of it. I don't think that was a bad assumption necessarily...just a case of not enough information to go on. 

Also agree that one of his biggest issues last season was holding the ball too long, which is usually a combination of unfamiliarity with a system, not reading the defense well, and simply making the wrong reads post-snap. He struggled in all 3 of those areas but improved a lot near the end of the season.

I'm not surprised though, as his offense in college had pretty simple reads and progressions, usually with lots of shallow crossing routes due to having a stable full of 4.3 burners, and (from what I could tell with my limited knowledge) plenty of basic high-low passing concepts.

He does have a history of quickly improving though...in college and the NFL as well now so hopefully he continues that trend. I think having a coach like Rivera who really forced him to focus mentally will also help him a lot. 

He showed great potential with movement in the pocket (a skill I rank just as important with everything related to throwing the football), but his throwing on the run and resetting feet after duress were struggle areas, IMO. 

Holding the ball too long isn't all on Haskins.  The passing game is going to be dysfunctional when the key cogs are a rookie QB, Paul Richardson and three rookie WRs, Jeremy Sprinkle and a rookie UDFA, and Adrian Peterson.  There is just zero chance you'll be regularly getting the ball out on time with that roster circumstance.

Unfortunately it's not going to be much better this year, but if Dwayne gets a lot better, that will help.  Really hoping that Gibson will help, although maybe I'm expecting too much.  A healthy Guice helps.  Terry McLaurin getting better helps.  We should be marginally better.

13 minutes ago, wit33 said:

He showed great potential with movement in the pocket (a skill I rank just as important with everything related to throwing the football), but his throwing on the run and resetting feet after duress were struggle areas, IMO. 

Yeah, that's true. His footwork was another big pain point. It was super inconsistent and that led to inconsistent accuracy. Being able to throw off-platform and from odd angles sometimes is a very good skill to have, but IMO that should only come after the QB has his footwork fundamentals solid and consistent. Haskins was able to get away with it much more in college because of his superior arm talent and great supporting cast, but in the NFL he's going to pay more for it. He can still get away with it sometimes, but eventually it will bite him.

47 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Holding the ball too long isn't all on Haskins.  The passing game is going to be dysfunctional when the key cogs are a rookie QB, Paul Richardson and three rookie WRs, Jeremy Sprinkle and a rookie UDFA, and Adrian Peterson.  There is just zero chance you'll be regularly getting the ball out on time with that roster circumstance.

Unfortunately it's not going to be much better this year, but if Dwayne gets a lot better, that will help.  Really hoping that Gibson will help, although maybe I'm expecting too much.  A healthy Guice helps.  Terry McLaurin getting better helps.  We should be marginally better.

I thought in the beginning of the season he looked significantly behind Case Keenum in this regard. But, he was a rookie. It was remarkable how much he'd improved by the end of the year. 

Archived