Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Asking Haskins to come into a game down 14 without any time with the 1s and without 60% of your OL, your top TE, RB and WR out is a tall tall order.

but I do get nervous as to how long he would hold the ball and how oblivious he was to the internal clock in terms of how fast he should be getting it out of his hands. This was a game where he should have been using his RBs a lot more and the game plan should have involved a more dink and dunk style of passing to get him used to the speed of a real game.

I saw from Haskins exactly what I expected to see. I saw flashes of big talent but a guy who's raw and not used to NFL defenses or the speed of the game. TBH I expected a couple of INTs but really I only pin one of them on DH...the first one. That's exactly the kind of stuff he did in college and got away with (flicking it off his back foot across the middle) because of his superior arm talent, superior supporting cast, and inferior talent level of DBs he was facing. He won't be able to get away with that in the NFL very often. That being said, Sprinkle's separation was nonexistent and his effort seemed pretty lackluster. 

The second INT was just a QB throwing a 50-50 ball to his #1 WR who was in a one on one situation. It just so happened that his #1 WR in this game isn't all that good and is absolutely not known for his jump ball abilities (is he known for anything?) so PRich got completely pantsed by a far more talented DB in Jenkins. Sometimes QBs are gonna take those chances on throws. If it was McLaurin (or even Harmon maybe) I think it likely would have been a catch. 

Third INT was purely a timing issue. He was throwing an anticipation route and he and Davis weren't on the same page so Davis had barely turned around when the ball got there. I'm not actually that mad about that INT because that played showed that DH isn't a dude who has to see a guy open in order to throw it and he can throw with anticipation when he's pressured. Since he hasn't been working out with the 1s I'm not all that surprised that something like that happened. 

His mechanics still need work as he still tends to have inconsistent footwork and still does far too much of the flicking while throwing off his back foot. He did it on the deep toss to Thompson that nearly got picked. If he'd stepped into it correctly (he had enough time...IMO he either saw a bit of pressure starting to come and panicked a bit or he just got lazy with his mechanics) that's a sure TD as CT had a step on his guy. He also held the ball for way too long too many times. Though with that I'm not sure if it was hesitation or indecision on his part or if his receivers truly just couldn't get open. Would have to watch the All-22 to see.

It certainly wasn't pretty, but I'm also certainly not going to proclaim the sky is falling as I still saw some nice flashes out of him. He progressed well during preseason so I'll see how he progresses now during regular games. He was also in a ****ty situation. Throw into the game with a pretty big point deficit, without 3 starting OL, without our best WR and best TE and without having had any practice with the 1st team leading up to the game.

Some of the stuff in this thread I've seen is exactly why I've been saying he's not ready to start. I was pretty sure his first games would look like this. People can say they're ready to deal with growing pains but when it actually happens the emotions take over and next thing you know people are screaming "BUST!".  

This is the reason Jay HAS to go now, not tomorrow not next week , not the end of the year now . We heard all week how there might be a QB change and how Haskins wasn't getting any first team reps in because Colt might be stepping in ... But at some point in the week you have to realize that's not going to happen .. you have to expect your backup needs to be ready to play, but you have to give him a chance .. 

He Jay has been saying Chase needs all the first team reps he can get in the week .. why ? If your starting QB hadn't got the basic timing and concepts down by the end of training camp or end of preseason then he's not the guy or your coaches are doing a terrible job.. 

The two things I love about Haskins right now are , one he clearly has talent and two his attitude is amazing .. nothing seems to phase the kid . 

I say f it . This season is lost 4 games in . Sack Jay play the depth . Sure we will loose a ton of games .. the Vets don't like it ..well maybe they should have shown some ..any amount of fight or leadership  in the last 4 weeks ..if the coaches don't want to get it done then the players should play for each other ..play for pride . 

Haskins I think will get there . But others in this team . Meh I don't think so 

I wonder if the call to start Haskins came from above. Just throwing that out there. Would not be the first time. Doesn't matter. Case was ****. He missed Quinn wide open twice and it's not the first time. 0-4 was staring at them which is season over. And before I get the Gibbs and Shotty examples, neither of those teams made the POs. So as I said, season over. 

Haskins looked like you would expect. Made some nice plays and made some WTF plays. The ints do not bother me at all. AS others have pointed out, only one of them as really on him. The 50/50 ball is good throw. If it misses worst you get is a short punt. The Davis pick is an anticipation throw Glad to see him let it go. They will clean that up. The first one was something he can learn from - but yea that was a poor decision. I liked him running but he needs to be more decisive. But despite some claims to the contrary - looking at you Steven A, he is not a running QB by nature. But he is athletic enough when he does run he can be effective. 

He still gets happy feet and likes to throw without getting set of getting into the throw. And late across the field will get you picked most of the time. As with all rookies he held the ball too long. But the more snaps he gets the more confident he will get. He was handicapped by no running game and poor pass blocking. But that will help him learn quickly - or we find out he can't make it at this level. 

I say let him play. If his ego is that fragile then we need to know that. I do not think it is. I think he has a strong mind. One thing I liked last season is for the most part he got better as the season went along. If shows he can not only learn he can put it in play. 

So 0-5 here we come!!  Wasn't there a thread asking if we could get there? I think that would be a huge yes.  Although it would be just like this team to screw around and beat NE lol!  Give us some hope then play Lucy to our Charlie Brown for 9 millionth time! 

Fear not fellow Redskins fans the draft is just... yea it's like that! 

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I wonder if the call to start Haskins came from above. Just throwing that out there. Would not be the first time. Doesn't matter. Case was ****. He missed Quinn wide open twice and it's not the first time. 0-4 was staring at them which is season over. And before I get the Gibbs and Shotty examples, neither of those teams made the POs. So as I said, season over. 

Haskins looked like you would expect. Made some nice plays and made some WTF plays. The ints do not bother me at all. AS others have pointed out, only one of them as really on him. The 50/50 ball is good throw. If it misses worst you get is a short punt. The Davis pick is an anticipation throw Glad to see him let it go. They will clean that up. The first one was something he can learn from - but yea that was a poor decision. I liked him running but he needs to be more decisive. But despite some claims to the contrary - looking at you Steven A, he is not a running QB by nature. But he is athletic enough when he does run he can be effective. 

He still gets happy feet and likes to throw without getting set of getting into the throw. And late across the field will get you picked most of the time. As with all rookies he held the ball too long. But the more snaps he gets the more confident he will get. He was handicapped by no running game and poor pass blocking. But that will help him learn quickly - or we find out he can't make it at this level. 

I say let him play. If his ego is that fragile then we need to know that. I do not think it is. I think he has a strong mind. One thing I liked last season is for the most part he got better as the season went along. If shows he can not only learn he can put it in play. 

So 0-5 here we come!!  Wasn't there a thread asking if we could get there? I think that would be a huge yes.  Although it would be just like this team to screw around and beat NE lol!  Give us some hope then play Lucy to our Charlie Brown for 9 millionth time! 

Fear not fellow Redskins fans the draft is just... yea it's like that! 

No chance we beat new england we

have never beaten a perennial power house since i can remember this ks

going to be a blowout this isnt the same Redskins that luck themselves into wins we are terribad

2 hours ago, thebeermonkey said:

He's nowhere near ready. He needs to sit the rest of the year. 

The dude need playing time to get ready... if he cant get mentally and emotionally over having struggles early as he learns the position then we have the wrong guy anyways... i would rather know sooner than later!

It's a shame Haskins didn't get the courtesy of knowing for the week, that he would start.   Famous, time with the ones.

Maybe Jay pulled him aside early this week and told him you are going in if Case struggles, but I doubt it. He was too busy trying to get Colt ready and probably didn't tell Haskins he would be active until pregame.

While I was impressed that Jay did try hurry up for Haskins, feel he is not the best coach to oversee his development. Jay is in win now mode, and his offense does not seem to be a good fit for a young QB. Starting with, Jay has no run game nor identity, and really hasn't in his tenure here.  The long name play calls clearly points towards complexity and delay of games, less time at the LOS to read, coupled what looks like a passing game predicated on long slow developing plays (fully on display last Monday night), is going to make things difficult for any young QB.

It may be time for OCKOC to graduate to HCKOC. 

Can't give him a hard time after one game.  As others have said, he was making slow reads, an obvious one the goal line pass in to the left corner.  The hesitation gave the DB the chance to break on it and knock away what should probably have been a TD. Doesn't help that McLaurin was missing.  I can imagine Haskins looking for him a lot.

One bit that scared me is that he runs like RG3 at times, very up right and a complete target for any LB.  I would prefer not to see that happening as with what happened to RG3.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet but if it has been it needs to be seriously considered. The biggest reason Haskins needs to play and needs to play now is because we legitimately might be in a position to have a top 3 draft pick. If the season ended today we would have the 2nd pick in the draft. Depending on what happens when we play Miami we need to realize we maybe in serious contention for the 1st overall pick in the draft. Anytime you are picking at 1 and there's a potential franchise QB available you have to consider it. We need to play Haskins to see if he has any potential to make it in this league. He may not be a world beater his 1st year and that's okay. But if he plays out the rest of this year we will at least get a good understanding of what we have with him. If he doesn't show signs of being THAT guy, we need to cut our loses and draft Tua or Hurst or Herbert etc. It's not every year you have the potential to have the 1st pick.  

Play the kid

People look at his aggregate numbers from college without really watching the games. His first game in he blew it, repeatedly. Expected, no biggie. But when you watch a succession of games you see him grow into it, you see his comfort level increase, he takes it and runs with it (figuratively).

This season is ****, it was from the start, any competent coaching staff would have been getting Haskins ready to go, with Case in reserve.

I want to see what Haskins looks like by Halloween, THEN I'll form an opinion.

The other thing that is really clear is that Gruden never designed a "Haskins' playbook" 

Almost always, hell in year 83 of his career, they still design a Brady playbook for Tom Brady and they throw out the plays that Brady doesn't like or doesn't do well. Every first round QB seems to have a special package of plays ready that are designed to make them look good and give them some confidence. We heard that the Giants did this with their QB. Kyle Shanahan did an amazing job coming up with an RGIII package and then when he got hurt the playcalling looked totally different for Kirk Cousins... so much so that RGIII got upset.

Did anyone ever find out what Haskins does really well and give him a chance to succeed or did they just throw him out to the wolves. Clearly, they did the latter. They gave him no practice, no support, and didn't even game plan for him to have a chance.

10 minutes ago, Burgold said:

The other thing that is really clear is that Gruden never designed a "Haskins' playbook" 

Almost always, hell in year 83 of his career, they still design a Brady playbook for Tom Brady and they throw out the plays that Brady doesn't like or doesn't do well. Every first round QB seems to have a special package of plays ready that are designed to make them look good and give them some confidence. We heard that the Giants did this with their QB. Kyle Shanahan did an amazing job coming up with an RGIII package and then when he got hurt the playcalling looked totally different for Kirk Cousins... so much so that RGIII got upset.

Did anyone ever find out what Haskins does really well and give him a chance to succeed or did they just throw him out to the wolves. Clearly, they did the latter. They gave him no practice, no support, and didn't even game plan for him to have a chance.

This is Jay's MO. Square pegs in round holes. 

13 minutes ago, Burgold said:

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!. DId not even think of that.

1 hour ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

No chance we beat new england we

have never beaten a perennial power house since i can remember this ks

going to be a blowout this isnt the same Redskins that luck themselves into wins we are terribad

No ****...  LOL  It was a joke!!  It's why the LOL.  it will be a 50 pt beat down if they want it to be. 

5 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Asking Haskins to come into a game down 14 without any time with the 1s and without 60% of your OL, your top TE, RB and WR out is a tall tall order.

Im trying to figure out the logic behind putting him in this game. Lets add the pressure on him playing in front of his home crowd and having all of his family there because we know it was on his mind from his post game press conference. 

I just dont get the logic behind him getting in the game at that point. Someone explain it to me. 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

Im trying to figure out the logic behind putting him in this game. Lets add the pressure on him playing in front of his home crowd and having all of his family there because we know it was on his mind from his post game press conference. 

I just dont get the logic behind him getting in the game at that point. Someone explain it to me. 

It wouldn't have mattered if Uncle Rico was on the bench behind Keenum yesterday, he had to go.  They had to try and see if the backup could provide a spark.  As someone who has been all about taking it very slow with Haskins, I was clamoring for him to get warmed up and be inserted into that game.  I'd venture a guess his teammates, particularly on offense felt the exact same way.

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Because Case was making terrible throws.  I'm convinced there was no strategy behind it.  Because if you considered the high probability that Keenum wasn't going to play well, and his recent injury...I don't see how you can't focus on getting Haskins ready. 

I guess we'll know for sure soon, based upon who is starting against the Patriots.

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It wouldn't have mattered if Uncle Rico was on the bench behind Keenum yesterday, he had to go.  They had to try and see if the backup could provide a spark.  As someone who has been all about taking it very slow with Haskins, I was clamoring for him to get warmed up and be inserted into that game.  I'd venture a guess his teammates, particularly on offense felt the exact same way.

I guess I can get with that. Basically, we had to try something to save the season. Im as disappointed as anyone that Haskins wasnt it, but I feel like Gruden could have made this easier on everyone by just being prepared for the eventuality. 

13 minutes ago, megared said:

Because Case was making terrible throws.  I'm convinced there was no strategy behind it.  Because if you considered the high probability that Keenum wasn't going to play well, and his recent injury...I don't see how you can't focus on getting Haskins ready. 

I guess we'll know for sure soon, based upon who is starting against the Patriots.

Im willing to bet you are right. Im also willing to bet they will do anything to keep Haskins away from the patriots. If you want him to have a hard time for the rest of the season, let Bill show the rest of the NFL exactly how to beat him. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

NFL Network Vid from above 

This is what I dont understand. If Colt is getting the keys to the kingdom, again, and is fully healthy.....why wasnt he coming in yesterday? 

**** makes no sense to me. Gruden really ****ed this one up. 

58 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Yeah actually Hoffman yesterday morning talked about Jay indeed have a set of plays ready for Haskins.   I am giving Haskins a break for his performance, yesterday.  It's not easy to debut in that type of context.  But at the same time I don't blame Jay for Dwayne's subpar performance.  Dwayne's a rookie, plenty of rookies have rough outings -- especially rookies without much college experience. 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

Im willing to bet you are right. Im also willing to bet they will do anything to keep Haskins away from the patriots. If you want him to have a hard time for the rest of the season, let Bill show the rest of the NFL exactly how to beat him. 

That'd be my thought too, if they were strategic.  But with how he's been handled to date, it'd be a leap in logic. 

Guess we have to root for Colt to be healthy enough to play.  Or that Gruden frames Case's performance as limited by injury.  

Archived