Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

15 minutes ago, megared said:

But winning now does us no good right now either.  Is it not abundantly clear that this isn't a playoff team? We're 0-3 in the division, 4 weeks in.

Jay's one redeeming quality is his perceived ability to develop QBs.  If he's not going to do that (and it's not important to the FO) why is he still here?

I am not giving you my perspective where i have a win now approach.  I am just trying to explain what some have said about Jay's predicament.  For me personally, they can go at this point 0-16.  I am a fan.  Jay isn't a Redskins fan but a professional coach.  He doesn't care about the Redskins 2022 season.  I do.  But I have a different perspective and am not employed by the Redskins.  

If Jay has only that redeeming quality, yet he's in a win or else verdict type of season -- why would Bruce-Dan be off the hook or we should even label it a collaborative problem. It's a Dan-Bruce problem.  Not a Jay problem.   Bruce-Dan would be the dummies to both give Jay a QB who isn't considered pro ready in a win now season.  I am gathering it will confuse the debate some but according to people who cover this team Bruce-Dan are totally OK with not playing Haskins.  

And I'll double down on the point if Jay is the moron that some on this thread purport he is or at least that how it comes off to me with some of the examples that are being propped up... If Jay is such the obvious Neanderthal, blithering idiot who can barely tie his shoes right let alone run a team -- than that's a verdict on the two people who interact with him every day and employ him not Jay  

If people here can spot that Jay is this atrocious coach who is lost and confused where Jay can't follow even basic logic that nonfootball people here can spot a mile away -- than wow what a verdict on the two people that talk to the dude every day, watch his actual practices and actually write him checks for millions of dollars a year, isn't it?

4 hours ago, Llevron said:

Im trying to figure out the logic behind putting him in this game. Lets add the pressure on him playing in front of his home crowd and having all of his family there because we know it was on his mind from his post game press conference. 

I just dont get the logic behind him getting in the game at that point. Someone explain it to me. 

Probably just to see if he can add a spark to a stagnant offense. I don’t think it was as detrimental as others seem to. They gave him a shot in a difficult situation and unfortunately he wasn’t able to shine. No harm no foul and anyone with a shred of knowledge about the nfl knows that what we saw yesterday isn’t indicative of his potential nor did it stunt his development in any way. I don’t expect to see him start against NE, probably will be case again and he’ll be basically evaluated week to week.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If you go through their schedule most of those teams are playing each other so something will have to give.  Cincy, Jets, Pitts, Miami, Arizona.  The exception being Denver.  The rest of my post isn't directed at you. 

Yes, I have already started looking at draft position.  :(   I'd kill for a top 3 pick especially in this draft.  If they end up with the #1, they'd get a kings ransom from Miami.  In an odd way it's the best thing that could happen to this franchise -- might be the best shot to get Kyle a promotion, too.  I can't ever watch a Redskins game and root for them to lose.  But at the same time, at this point the loses don't bother me. 

You could have directed that part at me, because I feel the same way lol...

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

The other winless teams have been competitive though. We haven't played a meaningful fourth quarter yet.

Which means we'll probably be the first team to get a win lol...

I am indifferent to Haskins being put into the Giants game specifically, however it seems like a weird move if your intention was to start Colt the following week regardless, (outside of Haskins went out there looking like Brady.)

The bigger problem I had is it seemed like Gruden basically tossed him out there with no kind of specific approach for a rookie QB, seeing his first NFL action, who he knows has not been prepared for this spot during practice. It was just like...."Ok, go.....figure it out"

12 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

The bigger problem I had is it seemed like Gruden basically tossed him out there with no kind of specific approach for a rookie QB, seeing his first NFL action, who he knows has not been prepared for this spot during practice. It was just like...."Ok, go.....figure it out"

I honestly do not get this criticism of Gruden.  Backups are literally thrown into games with little to no preparation and are told to "figure it out".  Yes, Haskins is a rookie, but so was Mayfield, Jones, Minshew, etc.  If McCoy wasn't 100% he's the clear QB to be inactive.  So what would've happened if Keenum got injured?  Just forfeit the game because Haskins got no prep the week prior?  

9 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I honestly do not get this criticism of Gruden.  Backups are literally thrown into games with little to no preparation and are told to "figure it out".  Yes, Haskins is a rookie, but so was Mayfield, Jones, Minshew, etc.  If McCoy wasn't 100% he's the clear QB to be inactive.  So what would've happened if Keenum got injured?  Just forfeit the game because Haskins got no prep the week prior?  

Nobody twisted Gruden's arm to keep Colt on the roster while he couldn't practice or play.  If he truly is as unready as everyone says, you prevent the situation where he's ever entering a game out of desperation or injury by getting a backup QB.  Or do we blame that on the FO too?

27 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I honestly do not get this criticism of Gruden.  Backups are literally thrown into games with little to no preparation and are told to "figure it out".  Yes, Haskins is a rookie, but so was Mayfield, Jones, Minshew, etc. 

How does any of that take away from Gruden being able to call plays to help Haskins get into a rhythm?  Call some quick high percentage passes, get a groove going?  Gruden knows he hasn't prepared the guy, but if he knew there was a chance he would get put into the game in the event Keenum was sucking, or showed signs of being too injured to keep playing, why do you not have some type of plan for Haskins should he be put into the game?  You think Jones, Mayfield, etc etc are just thrown out there into the normal scheme? Yeah right.

22 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Can we please take into account he didn't practice with the first team leading up to his debut like Daniel Jones did?

However I will play devils advocate with myself and say Gardner Minshew had an awesome debut vs KC where he had to come in early in the game.. So yea our 1st round pick got outclassed while failing against one of the worst defenses in the NFL by a guy in Gardner Minshew who went to 4 colleges...

4 hours ago, justice98 said:

Haskins played a lot of football in that one year starting.  He had more snaps in college than Kyler Murray did, nobody's suggesting he's not ready. Comparable snaps to Wentz when he came out.  

My point is, if Haskins isnt ready, there has to be something specific that he's not adept at handling.  What didnt he learn?  Not really concerned with "why" though, I'm focused on the "what".  

I just dont think thats the case.  To say a player isnt ready because of something specific, and not just experience is not understanding how irreplaceable experience is.  If a 5th round pick isnt playing in year 1, nobody asks "Whats wrong?  What is he not adept at handling?".  Instead, they say "Hes got to learn, to adjust, its normal for it to take time to become good enough to play in the NFL".  Absolutely everything in the world, every career, every craft, every job, every professional takes a long long time to perfect, and even the quickest learners cannot substitute book knowledge for experience.  There is NO substitute for experience.

Wentz was a full 2 year starter in college, and was terrible in his first year in the NFL, so Im not sure thats a comparison you want to go for.  Im not sure Kyler Murray, a player who has yet to do anything but really struggle(and who I think is going to be a busy) is one you want to go for either.

IT also feels like Gruden threw DH into the game to sort of prove fans and media that he wasn't ready. It calms down the masses demanding that they play the rookie. Sort of a "be careful what you wish for" response. For his own benefit it allows him to be able to say "Case may not be much, but right now he probably gives the team the best chance to win", and sadly he's right.

10 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Wentz was a full 2 year starter in college, and was terrible in his first year in the NFL, so Im not sure thats a comparison you want to go for.  Im not sure Kyler Murray, a player who has yet to do anything but really struggle(and who I think is going to be a busy) is one you want to go for either.

The difference is that Wentz and to an extent Murray played in conferences that weren't filled with NFL calibre defenses. Haskins played in the Big 10, which is filled with elite teams that are more comparable to what you'd see in the NFL then say the FCS. It wouldn't have been surprising if both faltered right away, but Haskins should be a little more up to speed. 

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Haskins may not be "ready" in the way you would want a QB to lead a team to the playoffs, but this is not a team that a learning Haskins would be holding back.  They were well on their way to 0-4 before Haskins even sniffed the field.

Haskins is ready for game reps, he’s not ready to lead a team to the playoffs. Now that the playoffs are out of the picture, even for the most delusional fans/Allen’s, it would be the best for DH to get him snaps, let him learn, let him see the speed of the game, and take that into the offseason. Max protection & 2 weeks to prepare for each start = the best thing possible for Haskins 2020.

6 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Haskins is ready for game reps, he’s not ready to lead a team to the playoffs. Now that the playoffs are out of the picture, even for the most delusional fans/Allen’s, it would be the best for DH to get him snaps, let him learn, let him see the speed of the game, and take that into the offseason. Max protection & 2 weeks to prepare for each start = the best thing possible for Haskins 2020.

Santana was just on, from what I recall he in the past didn't want him to play yet, but his point is since the can of worms is already open, then just run with it.  And let him take his lumps and learn from it.  Personally I am mixed on it.  I didn't want to start him this early but I did agree and still do that its hard to bench him once you already got the show started. 

1 hour ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Whats Haskins nickname ?

D-reign/rain

Methane-7

Chode-militia

Fred

The Singularity 

Unlucky number Slevin

Caboose Wayne

Sachem Simba 

T3 (Tick to Tua)

Meat Sweats

Get Out 2, the Snyders

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Santana was just on, from what I recall he in the past didn't want him to play yet, but his point is since the can of worms is already open, then just run with it.  And let him take his lumps and learn from it.  Personally I am mixed on it.  I didn't want to start him this early but I did agree and still do that its hard to bench him once you already got the show started. 

Perhaps, we play him v the Giants, give him time to work on all he saw for a week, then prep him to put his work on the field v Miami. Wash, rinse, repeat etc ... access the bit of intelligence remaining in humanity & discard what the jonestowners do. 

3 hours ago, Boss_Hogg said:

Well this is...odd. We doing a QB by committee this Sunday?

Odd? Its bat**** crazy.

I've been generally supportive of Jay and I still think he's a good offensive coach. But he's not strong enough to be a good head coach and stuff like this is what happens as a result. You cant prepare two QBs to play for a game let alone 3. Make a freakin decision - not doing that is unfair on the QBs and the team. Especially if you are going to start Haskins - he needs every single rep in practice he can possibly get.

3 minutes ago, volsmet said:

D-reign/rain

Methane-7

Chode-militia

Fred

The Singularity 

Unlucky number Slevin

Caboose Wayne

Sachem Simba 

T3 (Tick to Tua)

Meat Sweats

Get Out 2, the Snyders

Just give him one of the old self-proclaimed nicknames the defense would give themselves.

Capital Punishment? Flight Marshall?

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Odd? Its bat**** crazy.

I've been generally supportive of Jay and I still think he's a good offensive coach. But he's not strong enough to be a good head coach and stuff like this is what happens as a result. You cant prepare two QBs to play and game let alone 3. Make a freakin decision - not doing that is unfair on the QBs and the team. Especially if you are going to start Haskins - he needs every single rep in practice he can possibly get.

When Jay mentioned he sort of already knows who he'd like to start and then also talked about the health of the QBs -- came off to me that its Colt if he's healthy to play but he doesn't want to say it until he knows he's ready physically.  Just a guess.  Will see.  Sadly I don't think it matters who gets the reps leading up to NE. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sadly I don't think it matters who gets the reps leading up to NE. 

From the perspective of winning or losing - no. But having taken Haskins out of the box you can't reseal it. I'd commit to him and run with it at this point.

But Jay still needs wins and can see that he probably has more chance of getting them with McCoy than Haskins right now. I'm over Keenum - you cant keep missing wide open receivers deep. This is why Jay needs to be fired now though, unfair on him to keep him around and having a coach who needs wins to have any chance of staying employed stops him committing to Haskins at this point. 

4 minutes ago, megared said:

Jay's playing 3-D chess with Belichick.  Make him prepare for 3 QBs instead of 1. 

(Not that it'll matter)

He's playing checkers while Belichick is play 3D chess is more like it.

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

McCoy will be starting this week. Jays final defiant shot.

Doesn't bother me personally. While I am generally a strong proponent of playing rookies because of the acclimation process regarding the speed differences oft-cited between college and pro ball, I'd favor sitting Dwayne if Colt can go. We have no running game and highly suspect OL. I just don't see the need to throw him out there granted nothing will ever be perfect prudence is IMO best applied here. 

Archived