Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

Imagine seeing how many QBs have been hurt already this season & thinking its best to start DH every week behind our line, after only 14 starts in college, with a million little things he’s working on. Sometimes the humans make me laugh, but other times the groupthink is more frightening than humorous.

Since yesterday, I've been in favor of keeping Haskins in, no matter what. To quote Fred Smoot, they pulled the pin on the grenade, you can't put it back on. But I've changed my mind. Put McCoy out there next week if he's healthy. If not then put Keenum out there, the same Keenum that I wanted the plug pulled on after 20 minutes. Consider his benching a slap upside the head and hope it does something good to him. Haskins is going to be a wreck if they keep him in on the crash course. It sucks for everyone, but all the options do. Take the one that does the last damage to Haskins in the long run.

I really think that it would be a bad idea to start Haskins this week, unless he was the only one physically ready to go.  The Pats would be a nightmare 1st start for anyone.  They are #1 in both yards and points given up on D.  They have given up 0 passing TDs, and have 10 INTs.  Also, I don't think they are ripe for a letdown game this week, my guess is they are pissed that they were almost beaten by a backup QB, despite getting four INTs and a punt block touchdown.  Waiting one more week for Haskins (at the very least) would be a better idea, IMO.

41 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Since yesterday, I've been in favor of keeping Haskins in, no matter what. To quote Fred Smoot, they pulled the pin on the grenade, you can't put it back on. But I've changed my mind. Put McCoy out there next week if he's healthy. If not then put Keenum out there, the same Keenum that I wanted the plug pulled on after 20 minutes. Consider his benching a slap upside the head and hope it does something good to him. Haskins is going to be a wreck if they keep him in on the crash course. It sucks for everyone, but all the options do. Take the one that does the last damage to Haskins in the long run.

Agreed 100%.  I thought it was abundantly clear Haskins is nowhere near ready.  Why sacrifice him to Bill and the Goat? In front of the six dozen Redskins fans, all of whom I presume will be his family.  It will be humiliating and damage that is hard to repair.

I get the trepidation about starting him against the Patriots but come on guys, throw him to the wolves and see how he reacts. 

Yes we will likely lose and get blown out but let’s see how he handles himself against the best. 

2 minutes ago, dyst said:

I get the trepidation about starting him against the Patriots but come on guys, throw him to the wolves and see how he reacts. 

Yes we will likely lose and get blown out but let’s see how he handles himself against the best. 

Speaking as a completely unqualified opinion, the only thing that can really be drilled into Haskins as the starter that he didn't have as the emergency QB is practice reps with the starters. I expect that to get better deep routes, like connecting more than 1 time on the deep routes that are wide open down the center of the field. Reading a defense, changing protections, and literally everything else? That's fundamentals, and I doubt how much he'll learn on the fly when his team is down by 2 scores at halftime, half his O-line is out, and he himself is trying to dodge D-linemen everywhere. That's too much pressure for one person to take, especially with how toxic everything else is. Keep the spotlight off him.

15 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Slight chance Haskins may suffer a similar fate to Josh Rosen at this rate. 

I think higher than slight.  I have been talking up the Arizona model from early on, pushing back at anyone afraid to play Haskins.  How risky is it to play Haskins, and us ending up with the top pick... it could be a blessing in disguise. He gains experience and we learn if need to draft a QB or not. If he survives and dominates, that is good to know so we don't get burned after trading him on the cheap / 2nd.

Jay is a goner and IMO is not going to waste his time developing Haskins as he departs.  We can defer him gaining any experience, but what new coach would want a QB with only a year of college, pre-chosen for him?  I  can think of 2.  KOC and someone that coached at Ohio State.

Jay doesnt want to develop him and the new guy very well may not want him - ta da - Arizona.  Our coaching situation points to an awful lot of uncertainty for him.  I don't see the benefit of never playing a guy that will never play here.  If that makes any sense... #Redskins.

This is my stance on Haskins as it relates to the ****ing Redskins. Louis Riddick is absolutely right! On another level, I am beginning to ****ing hate this organization!! It reminds me of the RGIII experiment, the Kirk experiment, the Patrick Ramsey experiment and the list goes on and on for other positions.

25 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Absolutely nothing to gain. 

There is everything to gain. You get to see how he handles himself in the huddle, against the best franchise ever. Does he crumble in fear or does he show flashes of positivity.

Bad/average QBs are bad no matter how long they sit. Guys like Mahomes and Rodgers have that “it” quality and it has nothing to do with sitting and being scared to play against the elite teams.

Unfortunately, we have Gruden leading/teaching him...so yea maybe it ain’t such a good idea.

1 minute ago, dyst said:

There is everything to gain. You get to see how he handles himself in the huddle, against the best franchise ever. Does he crumble in fear or does he show flashes of positivity.

Bad/average QBs are bad no matter how long they sit. Guys like Mahomes and Rodgers have that “it” quality and it has nothing to do with sitting and being scared to play against the elite teams.

Unfortunately, we have Gruden leading/teaching him...so yea maybe it ain’t such a good idea.

D100332F-604F-4A7D-809F-3651BC0D3827.gif

29 minutes ago, dyst said:

Gruden has an agenda and I literally want to beat the **** out of him for it. He said he brought Haskins in the game for a ****ing spark. Yet he said over a long period of time that Haskins is not ready. Hell, most of the players said he wasn't ready. So you put Haskins in:

1. Hostile environment

2. Down 14 with the opposing defense with their ears pinned back and momentum

3. a suspect offensive line

4. plays with 5-7 step drop

5. Poor play design

6. without his go to receiver

7. no reasonable time with the first team

There is probably more issues.

In Gruden's presser today, he said he put Dwayne in for a spark. You do that **** at home dumb ass!!!! But he also said he felt that Keenum was still having ankle issues. BULL****!!!! **** this guy pisses me off to no end!!! He put Haskins in to embarrass him and make a statement to those that wanted him. If Keenum was hurt, he should have given Haskins the week of prep and let him start!!!! Not put a new QB in a hostile environment against a divisional team down by 14 with momentum. ****ing asshole!! Keenum should have finished the **** storm he created. Now you've got the media looking at Haskins instead of rippin Keenum. Gruden covered Keenum's sorry ass play over the past couple weeks with this ankle ****. I'm telling you this organization is beyond help and I truly think that Gruden cares more about his ****ing job than the career of Haskins at this point. Gruden even had the audacity to throw Haskins under the bus in a backhanded way IMO during his presser. Bottom line, the Redskins will mishandle Haskins just like they've done so many other players and even some coaches. So grab your popcorn and lysol and watch this wet dog **** unfold.

The fact that he is so far away from ready is a good sign we shouldn’t have taken him so high. You don’t get to sit on the bench for a year while your team sucks if you’re a first round QB.

I mean did anyone think that was actually going to happen?

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

The fact that he is so far away from ready is a good sign we shouldn’t have taken him so high. You don’t get to sit on the bench for a year while your team sucks if you’re a first round QB.

I mean did anyone think that was actually going to happen?

I mean a lot of that is on the coaching staff.

RG3 wasn't really NFL ready at first either, but Shanahan designed a unique offensive scheme to take advantage of his talents.

Haskins could have been coached up more, coached up better. Design a more simplified offense. But nooo, Gruden loves being overly complicated for whatever reason. Dude is one of the least flexible coaches in the league.

I think Louis Riddick is angling for a job. He’s showing Snyder already that he’ll fit right into the culture of scapegoating and factionalism. 

Remember the rumors swirling about us hiring a major media member for GM? People assumed it was Mayock, but Riddick fit way more. He’s always desperately campaigning for a job in the NFL so he’ll do whatever Snyder and Allen ask. Plus he’s been out of the league for some time now, Snyder’s favorite type of hire. 

Now he’s trashing a coach’s handling of the renewed hope at QB for the fanbase. I mean, is that not the Snyder trifecta or what? 

Oh, and don’t forget this earlier this offseason: 

Riddick also had high praise for Redskins new offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell.

“If I’m ever to get back in the league to be a GM, (O’Connell is) a guy people continually put on my radar and talk about as you have to watch this young man, you have to keep an eye on him,” Riddick told Keim. “He needs to be the main voice in Dwayne Haskins’s ear. He’s the one that they need to let really guide him through the early part of his career and the early part of his rookie season until he eventually becomes a head coach somewhere because people think that he is special. We’ll see.”

https://thefandc.radio.com/articles/dwayne-haskins-twice-qb-rgiii-was-louis-riddick-says

Louis is as good as hired. :ols: 

Archived