Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

6 minutes ago, Rypienskinz said:

@volsmet  I kinda get it now kinda. 

He is a great college coach and is very successful against spread offenses such as Oregon when he was at BSU and with Cal against Washington. But he has strictly been a college coach,  and primarily PAC-12. For every Pete Carroll there is your Chip Kelly and Jim Mora. I would love him as a Coordinator or Secondary coach however. I just don’t think he could handle the NFL as a manager quite yet. 

You could absolutely be correct, but as far as guys who have shown they can stop the best, with lesser talent, and aren’t particularly hot names, he sits atop my list. We won’t land a big name, we’re not an attractive option, but Wilcox is an innovative defensive mind, he gives everyone trouble with very limited talent, and I’d take a shot on him before he blows up. What he’s able to do with college kids, with such limited time to prepare/install, is extraordinary; particularly in a game where offenses have all of the advantages. Leach v Wilcox has been my favorite matchup of the year over the last few seasons.

41 minutes ago, Redd said:

I would take Gregg Williams bend but don't break defense over this sad excuse of defensive scheme we have currently.   I still remember how our corners always seemed to play 10 yards off the line of scrimmage.

It still happens

9 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

While I want Jay gone, until Snyder departs sometime between 2044 and 2054; there will be no real change.

my goal in life is to out live Snyder's ownership of the Skins....gonna be tough but I've cut back on cigars, soda and bacon so I have a shot. 

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

my goal in life is to out live Snyder's ownership of the Skins....gonna be tough but I've cut back on cigars, soda and bacon so I have a shot. 

Instead of purchasing season tickets, everybody should send a case of Crown Royal to Dan's house.

Imagine his binge if we keep losing.

If Jay is fired next week I'm very curious to see what Dan says and who from the media will have the balls to ask him how Bruce is still here? We need the nedia to step up and hammer Dan. 

If its Bruce who takes the questions he needs to be hammered just as much. Its gotta be the local guys or ladies that do it. Maybe one off the former players? 

9 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Not going to happen buddy. Those guys talk so much **** for hours and hours every day 365 days a year then get an interview and immediately start giving out blowjobs.

It's simply amazing.

I don't know, the media hammered Bruce following the 2014 season.  The "winning off the field" press conference.  I think they'd let him have it over his record, why he deserves to still be here and so on.  Which leaves me to believe they'll trot Doug out there to speak on Jay and Manusky's firing.  

1 hour ago, drowland said:

I don't know, the media hammered Bruce following the 2014 season.  The "winning off the field" press conference.  I think they'd let him have it over his record, why he deserves to still be here and so on.  Which leaves me to believe they'll trot Doug out there to speak on Jay and Manusky's firing.  

Jay is not going to get fired during the season.  Firing him during the season without having having a legit defensive or offensive coordinator (or any coaches for that matter) to fill in makes no sense, nothing is going to change for the rest of the season. 

Callahan is not going to improve the offense and have us putting up 30+ points a game.  Hell, when he took over in Oakland, it was said that he kept Chucky's offense in place (the majority of it), which is why TB destroyed them in the Super Bowl, because Gruden knew the plays they were running.  Neither O or D coordinators are going to improve anything either.  

Sure, the Browns fired Haley and Jackson and promoted Gregg Williams to interim head coach and they turned their season around.  But we aren't in the same situation.  We have arguably the best left tackle in football holding out and an o-line that can't do anything in the run game.  We have a future HOF running back, running out of fumes, that cannot get production just by his god given abilities any longer. 

We have a pro-bowl caliber TE that is made of glass, and might be forced to retire, not playing.  We have below average WRs for the most part with a rookie being our best WR.  We have Case, who sucked the last two weeks.  And by sucked, I mean so hard he could have gotten a golf ball through a water hose.  We have a rookie QB, no reason to elaborate.  We have Colt.........We have a ****ty secondary again and no pass rush.  

We have zero chances to make the playoffs.  Don't even toss out probabilities/stats or mention the 1992 Chargers team........ZERO chance with this team.  Could Jay be fired if we start say 0-8, 0-10, etc.?  Anything is possible, I just don't think it will happen during the season though.  If anything I'd fire Manusky, because it can't get worse on defense and we have talent there.  I don't think any defensive assistants or position coaches could do a worse job than him and if they do, who the hell cares at this point.

We need an old school coach, not an offensive or defensive guru. Someone to strengthen the team's football fundamentals, because we're obviously lacking in them. An offensive/defensive genius will want a team already possessing players with a strong grasp of core football principles - tackling, assignments, clock, avoiding dumb penalties - so coming in it'd only be a matter of leading and implementing the mechanics of his playbook.

2 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

We need an old school coach, not an offensive or defensive guru. Someone to strengthen the team's football fundamentals, because we're obviously lacking in them. An offensive/defensive genius will want a team already possessing players with a strong grasp of core football principles - tackling, assignments, clock, avoiding dumb penalties - so coming in it'd only be a matter of leading and implementing the mechanics of his playbook.

These things are not mutually exclusive.

F4910463-B76A-4A55-8DD0-BDB9A7361DA4.jpeg.23d1c3e2f77700623e174bcb8182d708.jpeg

McVay took over basically the exact same team Fischer had destroyed and turned it it into a 10 win team in 1 year.  

21 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

****ing hell you guys need to stop living in the 1980s. Games are not won exclusively in the trenches anymore, you can’t win with journeymen QB, old school “tough” coaches don’t turn around franchises, analytics are dominating the game now, college concepts are being utilized league wide.

@Dont Taze Me Bro  This isn't about turning the season around.  The season is lost.  But you have to start evaluating for the future.  Gruden and Manusky aren't the future and granted the rest of the staff likely isn't either.  But if you're the GM the question is what's the issue with the defense....is it the talent, the scheme or the coaching.  Just sitting their status quo answers none of that.  Same with the offense although that one's probably easier to figure out.  But still, Gruden has shown to be stubborn with this offense.  Maybe O'Connell can make some tweaks to the play calling.  That's really all Kitchens did last year in Cleveland.  What plays are we good at?  Let's call more of those.   Oh we're giving up too many sacks?  Let's shorten up the drops and play more 12 personnel, do more pre-snap shifts to get the defense to show and get the ball out faster.  Outside of running some jet sweeps with Simms Gruden's shown no imagination.  

And yes, I know Snyder's history says he won't fire Jay in season, but each case is different.  With Zorn the FO came out and said he wouldn't be fired in season.  They've said nothing on Gruden.  And the difference between 10 years ago and now is 10 years ago it was fan anger.  Now it's fan apathy which is much much worse for Snyder.  He has to try and shack something up now to get people interested.  

14 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

He'd be a phenomenal GM..... Him or the guy i've been talking about for a while, Scott Pioli...

I'd take Peyton as coach as well. Him or Kirby Smart from UGA.

Nobody knows the the game better than Peyton. Dungy had the best job in the world...

You can’t have Peyton as a coach until he’s coached somewhere before. 

9 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I’ve said for years they should hire Peyton as a FO exec for YEARS.

Elway also seemed smart. I get that Peyton was a very cerebral QB, perhaps the best. So I could only get on board with Peyton if B.Mitch was made ST coach or halftime speech maker.

Archived