Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Dan has a history of going big name after a complete debacle. 

The last big name Dan got, Shanny, was about 10 years ago.  The sample size has doubled.  I think where we depart is I don't think its unlikely to be apples to apples from way back then.  Dan can't do the I've matured and changed bit that easy anymore.  And even if Dan has changed some, there is a losing stigma-stench attached to this franchise that runs much deeper than 10 years ago.

I am pessimistic that Dan can even go old school Dan anymore and attract a big name.   With one exception, he goes Mark Davis on the prospect.  You so wildly overpay that coach and give them such a long contract that the coach has nothing to lose because if he's canned he's set for life, regardless.

Heres the issue: there are no candidates that have close to any of those types of credentials.  Unless I’m missing somebody, the closest is McCarthy. If Tomlin gets fired, he would have the resume.  

I think Lincoln Riley would be the blockbuster move, as big as the Shanny move (not as big as Gibbs) and Marty.  He's a college coach but he's the dude that's been talked about for years as to what could he do in the NFL.  You've talked about wanting one of the innovative young mind types.  This dude has to be top 3 in that department.  If you are going for that theme, you can't beat Riley.  I think that dude would put people in the stands.  It would also make the Redskins the talk of the off season.  the national media/NFL pundit types fawn over the dude.  And that would be an understatement.  I don't think though Dan can get him.

McCarthy to me is a yawn pick.   If people don't like Jay on clock management wait till they get some of McCarthy.  Dan's unlikely putting fans in the stands with him.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2019/4/4/18294719/packers-mike-mccarthy-and-complacency-belichick-demo-lazy-lack-of-innovation-take-offense

Criticisms of McCarthy focused on his lack of innovation. The Packers’ offense grew stale, and while the league reacted to an ever-changing landscape, he stayed the same. That lack of innovation is its own form of complacency, and the lack of insight in this interview is revealing. No one accused McCarthy of a poor work ethic or lack of discipline, and the way he takes offense is interesting because he doesn’t seem to understand why his team struggled or why he was fired. McCarthy was fired because his scheme failed to stay ahead of the curve strategically, and executing on a poor strategy doesn’t win you anything.

The flavor of the day in the NFL is the innovative young mind, but that’s a fairly superficial oversimplification. Andy Reid is still getting it done, as is Bill Belichick, and neither are exactly babies. The biggest successes in the league do a different kind of homework than McCarthy, and until he realizes that, he won’t be effective in his next role either.

Even if Bruce is still here, I get the feeling Dan is going to do the HC picking this time.  He’s got to stop the bleeding, and inject some type of energy back into the team.  Both for the team and also for marketing purposes.  

According to Laconfora, Sheehan and others -- Bruce just being here would be enough to repel big name head coaches.  As Laconfora put it he was told, its bad enough that people have to deal with Dan but the idea of dealing with two Dan types at the same time makes the job more unattractive than it was years back

Why would any decent coach want to come here? We have likely the worst GM in the NFL, who's basically a laughing stock around the league, and we have and owner who's famous for meddling in football operations and forcing stupid decisions. Oh, also our team sucks.

It would have to be someone who is either a) purely in it for the money...this would likely be a retread who's simply looking for a big payday or b) someone good who will only take the job on the condition that Allen gets the boot and Snyder stays out of all football related stuff. 

So basically it will be a retread with Allen still running things.

To me it almost obvious that the next HC will be the recently promoted OC O Connell.  They will do their Rooney Rule fake interviews etc. but in the end they know it will be O Connell.  Bruce still has control and until then I think we stay in house. 

I think the only choice is Gregg Williams, regardless of the baggage, for the following reasons:

1. He had a chance to take part in the culture building of the Gibbs II Redskins and the champion Saints. He’s the rightful heir. He understands the need for shared purpose.

2. He takes no ****, doesn’t get bogged down by politics, and holds people accountable, which would be a nice departure from Jay and the Shanahans.

3. He did more with much much less than Haslett, Berry, and Manusky. Pierson Prioleau anyone? We had top ten defenses led by undrafted and off the street free agents.

4. Players love him and play hard for him. Former Redskins like Fletcher still sing his praises, and we need to rebuild some goodwill with Fletcher.

5. He will delegate and build a competent staff. Under Gibbs and several other head coaches, he has humbly shared the limelight with a number of capable assistant coaches. 

Anyway, I know it’s a long shot, but I’d throw a lot of money at Williams to bring him. I think he’s uniquely suited for this team at this time.

I'm going to say it again, just because that's the mood I'm in :ols:

It doesn't matter, one iota, who the next coach is unless there are structural changes at the top. Jay Glazer firmly believes, according to his tweets the other day, that those changes to the top are likely not coming and Bruce Allen is safe. If that is true, I don't care who they hire. It will not work out unless they find a psychological mastermind that can jedi mind trick Bruce Allen into doing their bidding. 

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'm going to say it again, just because that's the mood I'm in :ols:

It doesn't matter, one iota, who the next coach is unless there are structural changes at the top. Jay Glazer firmly believes, according to his tweets the other day, that those changes to the top are likely not coming and Bruce Allen is safe. If that is true, I don't care who they hire. It will not work out unless they find a psychological mastermind that can jedi mind trick Bruce Allen into doing their bidding. 

To that point, i've been posting this on different threads.  Worth a read.  It's not the standard article about Dan-Bruce, it actually has a bunch of detail.   Gets into Jay, too, the whole ball of wax.

On 9/28/2019 at 10:09 PM, SkinsFTW said:

Or they could overpay another semi great coach, pretend he has full control again, then committee him to death with the Bruce + Dan Moron Team of Perpetual Failure.

I'm going with that one.

Ditto a fake GM.  It came out later that Scot didn't have full control.  Not that I wanted Doug (though think he's a great guy) controlling personnel but they parading him as the next guy and at least beat guys have indicated that's BS, too.  What next Russ Grimm hired to "run" the front office with Bruce maintaining the power though saying that's just a "formality".   And Dan does whatever he wants behind the shadows?

The level of disdain and hatred I have for Bruce Allen is un-measureable. I am blown away at how ignorant Snyder is by staying with Allen, to the point that frustration doesn't come close to describing my feelings.

I think if he is with this organization next year, I will most likely take the season off, just tune out football altogether. This is beyond ridiculous, I'm just at a loss of words.

3 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

It may have to be someone on the staff like O'Connell for the interim until the season ends. There are no 'good' coaches available sitting on the couch right now, unless we want more retreads like McCarthy.... but I think Callahan is ahead of O'Connell in the pecking order.

And what difference does replacing Jay with one of them make? Maybe the team wins a game. Maybe it wins 5 games. All that does is take heat off of Dan/Bruce, hurt our draft position and move the target.

If this team is going to win, I’d prefer it be with the makeup the way it is.

If it’s going to sink, I’d prefer it to be with the makeup the way it is. 

Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder need to have the full responsibility of this on their heads with no excuses. 

Just now, KDawg said:

And what difference does replacing Jay with one of them make? Maybe the team wins a game. Maybe it wins 5 games. All that does is take heat off of Dan/Bruce, hurt our draft position and move the target.

If this team is going to win, I’d prefer it be with the makeup the way it is.

If it’s going to sink, I’d prefer it to be with the makeup the way it is. 

Bruce Allen and Dan Snyder need to have the full responsibility of this on their heads with no excuses. 

Agree... I'm all in for #1 overall pick, or at least top 5. I enjoy the draft much more than watching these turds, because at least it gives us false hope. I know we won't get Kirby Smart, but that's my guy if I had a choice.

It'll be an interesting offseason if all goes as planned, however, the merry-go-round won't stop unless Allen is ousted first. I'd call Pioli and see what he'd take to come in here.

Just now, SemperFi Skins said:

Agree... I'm all in for #1 overall pick, or at least top 5. I enjoy the draft much more than watching these turds, because at least it gives us false hope. I know we won't get Kirby Smart, but that's my guy if I had a choice.

It'll be an interesting offseason if all goes as planned, however, the merry-go-round won't stop unless Allen is ousted first. I'd call Pioli and see what he'd take to come in here.

I’d call you to see what youd come to the Skins for at this point.

On 9/28/2019 at 7:26 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

People say that all the time, and college coaches keep going to the NFL.  I would bet Riley wants to coach in the NFL at some point.  I think every coach not named Nick Saban would probably take an NFL gig.  

42 minutes ago, Blue Collar Skins said:

We lost Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan. I say Kevin O'Connell.

I would not put O'Connell in the same category as those two, other than they were all young.  

3 minutes ago, S.T.real,lights,out said:

No respectable coach is going to come here for any level on money. Until Allen is gone and Snyder brings in a hard nose GM we will continue to sign washed up guys looking to be "yes" man and collect a check.

We said that before, then Marty showed up, then Gibbs showed up, then Shanahan showed up.  Not to mention the respected assistants that have passed through here like Gregg Williams, Marvin Lewis, Mike Nolan, Kyle Shanahan, Callahan and Tomsula, etc.  They can always get somebody decent to come here.  Even Spurrier was in demand prior to coming here.  

They'll wont succeed when they get here, but Snyder can get good people in the building.  Not to say they always get their guy, see the Zorn fiasco.

Yeah I don't buy the whole "no good coach will come here" spiel. We're a mess but we're still an NFL job, one of only 32 in the world. And most coaches have egos, and probably think "I can be the guy that resurrects Redskins football and be a god in DC." I mean we still treat guys like Gibbs, Riggo, and Theismann etc. like royalty and those guys played/coached 30+ years ago.

We've seen this movie before people,...multiple times.

With the organization in it's current configuration a new coach will help/change nothing, zero,...nada.  The owner is still making picks for the team and has undermining the coaching staff consistently over the past 20 years.  Until a proper GM is hired and then empowered to hire a HC he believes in (with no input from Dan), and allowed to rebuild the culture of this organization from the ground up the Skins are destine to continue riding the mediocre-to-fail train. 

And why would any top-level football person, GM, coach, etc, come here?  Money?  Sure,...maybe, but most know how toxic things are.  I don't see it happening.

Archived