Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

I honestly just don't care anymore.  I switched off from football after the draft feeling like nothing good would happen this season and once training camp started I realized for the first time in my 50 years, 40 of which have been spent as a Skins fan, that I had no enthusiasm for the upcoming season.  I figured once the real games started my interest would pick up again but we are now heading into week 4 and I haven't watched a second of football this season.  The Dan and Bruce axis has finally destroyed my love for the game, I could never support anyone else but I cannot follow Washington with these idiots in charge and so I have to accept I am an ex football fan.  Snyder will never sell the team and we will always be a dumpster fire with him as an owner.  If they somehow hired Belichick they would find some way to undermine him and he would leave with a losing record.

45 minutes ago, WelshSkinsFan said:

Snyder will never sell the team and we will always be a dumpster fire with him as an owner.  If they somehow hired Belichick they would find some way to undermine him and he would leave with a losing record.

Unfortunately, I agree with you. No one has succeeded under little Danny outside of the occasional crazy winning streak that leads to a lucky playoff berth. 

Crap rolls downhill. 

1 hour ago, Hooper said:

Unfortunately, I agree with you. No one has succeeded under little Danny outside of the occasional crazy winning streak that leads to a lucky playoff berth. 

Crap rolls downhill. 

There's a chance Dan could get lucky.  Let's say for a minute he fires Bruce and promotes Kyle Smith.  And Kyle Smith turns out to be the NFL equivalent of Theo Epstein.  That could make all the difference in the world.  

The only real way out of this is luck.  

2 hours ago, Peregrine said:

One thing the NFL has shown us is absolutely do not go the college route.  Except in very rare cases you have to have a coach with NFL experience, so you want a top DC or OC.

I'm not sure that's going to stay true.  Especially with the amount of "borrowing" from college is being done now.  This might be one of the trends that turns around in the next 4-6 years.  

Though I do think if you have a college HC, you need to have at least 1, if not both coordinators with significant NFL experience.  

43 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There's a chance Dan could get lucky.  Let's say for a minute he fires Bruce and promotes Kyle Smith.  And Kyle Smith turns out to be the NFL equivalent of Theo Epstein.  That could make all the difference in the world.  

The only real way out of this is luck.  

I'm not sure that's going to stay true.  Especially with the amount of "borrowing" from college is being done now.  This might be one of the trends that turns around in the next 4-6 years.  

Though I do think if you have a college HC, you need to have at least 1, if not both coordinators with significant NFL experience.  

We had our lucky moment when we had Sean McVay and we let him walk out of the building.

19 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I keep seeing Tomlins name but he is signed through 2021 as they just re-upped him this summer.  I don’t see the Steelers parting with him and paying him for two years.

If he gets fired and then hired by another team, it would depend if there was any off-set language in the contract and what the new team would be paying him.  If he was making say $6.5 million/yr with the Steelers, they fire him and he comes here and gets paid $6 million/yr, then the Steelers owe him $500K the duration of his contract.  

If he doesn't coach again, right away, then they would be on the hook for the remaining money in his contract since it's all fully guaranteed.  I don't think they will fire Tomlin anyhow, they are an organization with a lot of patience and just lost Big Ben for the season.  

On 9/25/2019 at 8:35 PM, method man said:

Here are my three realistic candidates. We are not getting any hot candidates with Snyder at the helm:

* Jim Harbaugh - offer up a monster package. Most proven candidate and, except Michigan, he has been a winner everywhere. I think he is a guy who could also attract a great staff of assistant coaches. He is also the candidate of the three that would hold the most power over personnel

* Gregg Williams - he's underrated. He is a fire and brimstone guy that a lot of players swear by (ex. Smoot). He was our DC the last time we consistently had top 10 defenses and he did it with far less talent than the team we have now.

* Kevin O'Connell - we have no idea about how competent he is organizationally. He could be another Jay Gruden, where he is a good offensive mind but lacks in all the other areas as coach

Some valid points, but I'd go in a different direction.  I also don't have my mind set on a certain coach, I'm just hoping a new gm is brought in and given total autonomy.  If it were up to me, I wouldn't just weed the garden, I'd bring the backhoe and remove every ounce of soil if I could, even if it meant losing guys like Kyle Smith and koc that could very well have great careers.  We need to change the culture, and starting from scratch will allow that to happen.  

Reasons I'm against these candidates.

Harbaugh - he did a great job with both Stanford and San Fran, complete turnarounds from bottom feeders to consistently elite teams.  No small feat.  But his inability to beat ranked teams on the road at mich, and his complete goose egg vs osu is very concerning.  The way he also lacks accountability, and clashed with sf front office, makes me want to stay away.  Five years ago he would've been top of my list, but pass for me.

Gregg Williams - he has had some good defenses over the years, but he is getting older, and he has had some unspectacular defenses too.   Ultimately may just be one of those guys that was a better coordinator than a head coach.

KOC - as stated above, I want to remove every ounce of soil and start fresh.

7 hours ago, Hooper said:

Snyder will chase Urban hard.

Please no.  Urban meyer is a greaseball.  Getting older and has "health issues" whenever he feels the heat, which with the Redskins, would be by week 4 obviously.  And has no track record of NFL success.  Hard pass.

On 9/25/2019 at 11:59 PM, Newera said:

Kellen Moore.  Next Sean McVay.    Might need two years in Dallas.  So probably ain't gonna be available for us.

If Dallas gets to Super Bowl.   He will get interviews.  Long way to go though.

Get an Andy Reid disciple.   They seem to do well.

A young up and coming Dallas o coordinator, sounds like a perfect pairing with Snyder!!!

Just kidding, I think Moore is a great candidate, and I like that he would be coming in from the outside.  Fresh blood.  He has a great reputation.

The reality is this:  We will not get a viable coach in D.C. until we get a knowledgeable general manager.  No one wants to coach under Allen.  Gruden came after EVERYONE else took assistant jobs elsewhere, signed bigger deals with their clubs, or took head coaching jobs at lesser teams.  Allen is a sycophantic yes man.  He is not a leader, talent evaluator, or capologist.  

Snyder, if he loves this team more than he loves the team's business value, HAS to inject front office football knowledge in every department of this team.  He has to change the culture that exists.  He has hire a proven advisor, whether he knows them or not, to lead the search to hire the right people in every department.  That advisor should lead the search for a new G.M., who will have the power to hire and fire, find new talent evaluators, a new medical team, new strength guys, and ultimately the best head coach.  That coach should have a close enough relationship with the G.M. where his opinions on the roster are not only sought  but listened to... depending...

Gruden served us well, but his tenure needs to end.  He got served a raw deal.  Injuries and a feckless G.M. ultimately did him in.  He also failed to have oversight over the whole team, namely the defense and special teams.  

Anything less will create more dysfunction and mediocrity.

Snyder has no vision, he's all about marketing the team. Gruden is as good as gone no matter what as this was probably leaked by the team to create headlines. What direction do we go in firing Gruden mid-season? Who develops our 1st round QB? Who coaches the team, we have 2 proven failures as head coaches (3 if you want to count Gruden) already on the staff. So are we going to give Rob Ryan a shot? There are so many question marks that pop up after firing Gruden. We just might go winless this season if we fire him, our offense is going to be trash. 

So then we'd have options of Manusky, Callahan, Ryan, Tomsula, and O'Connell... There isn't one head coach worthy guy out of that group and you cannot tell me that they'd be better than Gruden. O'Connell is the only one I wouldn't roll my eyes at if he got the promotion and that's only because he's such a total unknown. I really don't think O'Connell is going to take the head coaching position if it was offered to him. 

Archived