Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

It depends on who is doing the hiring?

If you assume it's Dan Snyder making the ultimate call, then he will go big name again.  Could be someone like say Jim Harbaugh or he goes the retreat route again, say he convinces Bill Cowher to come out of retirement.

If it's Bruce, it will be another Tampa Bay crony. 

If Dan finally hires a real GM, my guess the gm goes for an up and coming assistant in the NFL.

its a tricky situation, i dont know if people really understand how dicey this situation is.  whoever you hire has got to be a guy who fundamentally believes that he is going to win with Dwayne Haskins.  And i dont know that there is as many coaches out there as you might think there is that believe this.  I, for one, dont believe in Haskins.  I think he was a late round prospect who was taken way too high by a football moron, Dan Snyder.   So someone is going to say in the interview, yeah I can make it work with Haskins, but how do they feel after 1 year coaching him is the question.  I will show 6 years ago, right here in washington, as example A of this issue.   Because I can guarantee you one thing:  unless its that Oconnell kid, I dont know anybody who knows enough about haskins to believe in him, he's only played a handful of college games.

I’m afraid that this franchise needs more than a mere coaching staff change. From my perspective, it may take a full reboot including a real GM, new stadium, complete rebranding and a string of seasons that demonstrate real cultural change before Snyder can expect anymore of my time and dollars. 

I don't believe, honestly, that hiring a new head coach or coaches is the answer.

Until the root of the problem is removed, there will always be bits and pieces, here and there, which will be absolute head scratchers or flat-out bad hires, who would inevitably undermine any coach who comes here. Bruce feels it is his burden and choice to insert 'X' whenever and where ever he thinks it should go, and whoever the people are, will side with him over a coach in a situation; call it selective job security.  It would create an " us vs them " inside the organization, and that will never ever ever EVER work.

The absolute #1 priority, job 1, is to remove the feeding tube of failure known as Bruce Allen. He should be the main and only focus at this point. It is and has been Bruce since he first stepped into the doors of Redskin Park. No one else should be wasted time on, at least for now. Replacing Gruden and/or Manusky will never solve the problem as long as Bruce Allen is still with this organization. He needs to be removed, fired, and given a court-ordered declaration that he cannot be within 500 yds of the team, organization or faculty.

There IS no other viable choice. Bruce Allen must be fired. Anything less is peeing in the wind...

53 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

It seems pretty inevitable that Gruden is getting the boot. So where should we go for our next coach?  Feel free to suggest coordinators and asst coaches.

I’d throw the bank at Dabo Swinney and see if he would go for it. I doubt it but worth a shot. Players would jump through a fire for him.

I like the Clemson HC a lot.  IF we could sign him I'm all in along with him bringing his DC with him HOWEVER as long as Bruce is here he will have say as to who is HC.  I expect that our next HC, if/when Gruden is fired will be O Connell.  Callahan is a possible hire too.  He's part of the Tampa Bay connection also.

24 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

I don't believe, honestly, that hiring a new head coach or coaches is the answer.

Until the root of the problem is removed, there will always be bits and pieces, here and there, which will be absolute head scratchers or flat-out bad hires, who would inevitably undermine any coach who comes here. Bruce feels it is his burden and choice to insert 'X' whenever and where ever he thinks it should go, and whoever the people are, will side with him over a coach in a situation; call it selective job security.  It would create an " us vs them " inside the organization, and that will never ever ever EVER work.

The absolute #1 priority, job 1, is to remove the feeding tube of failure known as Bruce Allen. He should be the main and only focus at this point. It is and has been Bruce since he first stepped into the doors of Redskin Park. No one else should be wasted time on, at least for now. Replacing Gruden and/or Manusky will never solve the problem as long as Bruce Allen is still with this organization. He needs to be removed, fired, and given a court-ordered declaration that he cannot be within 500 yds of the team, organization or faculty.

There IS no other viable choice. Bruce Allen must be fired. Anything less is peeing in the wind...

Yeah, but we all agree with that. 

And a new coach will he hired regardless. 

Ironically, if Jay was better at his job, Bruce would look better. And if Bruce was better at his job, Jay would look better.But they both suck at their jobs.  

I’d keep an eye out for Mike McCarthy. He wouldn’t be my first choice but he is pretty respected and is going to get another opportunity.  

Also if Tomlin is fired from Pitt, that might be a guy who Dan would target.

I think Dan knows he has to get the next coach right, so even if Bruce is around, I could see Dan taking over the coaching search. (Not that that is a lot of comfort)  If that’s the case, I think the leading candidates would be: 

Tomlin (if available)

McCarthy

Jim Harbaugh (Though that experiment would end quickly and badly)

Gregg Williams

Todd Bowles

I don’t think Dan goes to a college coach. I know Jim Harbaugh is at Michigan, but he coached the 49ers to a SB, so I consider him a pro coach.

Unless Dan pulls the rabbit out of his hat and grabs Saban from Bama.  Which I just don’t see happening.  

If its Bruce who’s hiring, he might not be able to find anybody outside, so it’s probably either Callahan or Kevin O’Connell. 

But i doubt that.

I think Dan is going to want somebody with experience to fix this mess.  McCarthy has the track record and has worked with great QBs.  Again, not my ideal choice.  But better than what we have now.

Here are my three realistic candidates. We are not getting any hot candidates with Snyder at the helm:

* Jim Harbaugh - offer up a monster package. Most proven candidate and, except Michigan, he has been a winner everywhere. I think he is a guy who could also attract a great staff of assistant coaches. He is also the candidate of the three that would hold the most power over personnel

* Gregg Williams - he's underrated. He is a fire and brimstone guy that a lot of players swear by (ex. Smoot). He was our DC the last time we consistently had top 10 defenses and he did it with far less talent than the team we have now.

* Kevin O'Connell - we have no idea about how competent he is organizationally. He could be another Jay Gruden, where he is a good offensive mind but lacks in all the other areas as coach

12 minutes ago, CaptainChaos47 said:

What about Kris Richard from Dallas?  

I would not hire anyone from Jerry World based on principle...that being said I understand he oozes charisma and is a natural leader.

32 minutes ago, method man said:

Gregg Williams - he's underrated. He is a fire and brimstone guy that a lot of players swear by (ex. Smoot). He was our DC the last time we consistently had top 10 defenses and he did it with far less talent than the team we have now.

Wasn’t he being groomed as the successor to Joe Gibbs during his second stent and Danny decided he was not worthy of being a Head Coach?  

The correct answer is "it doesn't matter," as long as Dan is around and/or Bruce. 

That said, I don't know where my 'wanted coaches' list is, but off the top of my head:

The Dartmouth Head Coach, Buddy Teevens. In all reality he wouldn't want to come here anyway and I also don't think he'd have the temperament for the corporate NFL world as a HC. When I think of him it's more as an offensive coordinator, consultant, macro design stuff. His implementation of modern practicing techniques with the robotic tackling dummies and no human tackling is something some NFL teams have already implemented. He also uses analytics for playcalling and strategy on gameday, what a notion.

Dan Enos, as a likely HC candidate. He's an offensive coach. I don't want to write the synopsis here, you should know his name. 

There's James Franklin, who at least has a plan (unlike Dan) and it's written down in a book. Even though his temperament seems like a young version of Marty Schott to me, but whatever. To me he seems like the kind of HC who sees the big picture and like to delegate responsibility to his coordinators and just manage through a traditional, rigid, hierarchy, which suits the NFL to a T. 

Dan Campbell from the Saints is another name I keep reading about. I'd be interested in interviewing him to see what he's like, what he brings to the table. 

There was a group of former Georgia coaches who went off to Colorado State some years ago. I was impressed with the o-line coach from that group. Can't remember his name now. Think it was Will Friend. Friend is now at tennessee. But honestly I don't know if Mike Bobo was the true genius of the group, he's the HC at CSU. 

Along that note of o-line coaches: Sam Pittman who is at UGA right now and Butch Barry, wherever the hell he is now, are two o-line coaches who have stood out to me over the years. 

There's the ubiquitous Dave Toub mention for HC that never happens and probably never will. 

Mike Mularkey is back in the game as a positional coach and could easily be a OC coordinator in the next year (offensive coach). 

I wouldn't mind interviewing Kurt Roper as an OC candidate, or as QBs coach, or as passing game coordinator. 

I wouldn't mind interviewing Ron Middleton for Special Teams coordinator, or as TEs coach, or as passing game coordinator. 

There was some old geezer from the Patriots org who could be a great Special Teams coordinator, but I've forgotten his name and he's old as dirt anyway. 

Defensively, I've got Geoff Collins name written on a list from 2015/16. He's a HC at georgia tech. At one time you could have gotten him after he left Temple. I guess you'd have to interview him from HC but I'd be inclined for that to be just for DCoordinator. 

I wouldn't mind interviewing Wesley McGriff as DBs/Secondary coach. 

There's got to be a collegiate DC from one of the mega programs (bama, clemson, SEC, ACC, Big 10) that has spent their whole life playing against Spread and Air raid who would be as qualified as any old fart from the NFL. Insert their name here: .....................................................

I wouldn't mind plundering Will McClay and Lionel Vital from the Cowboys as GM candidates. 

1 hour ago, method man said:

Here are my three realistic candidates. We are not getting any hot candidates with Snyder at the helm:

* Jim Harbaugh - offer up a monster package. Most proven candidate and, except Michigan, he has been a winner everywhere. I think he is a guy who could also attract a great staff of assistant coaches. He is also the candidate of the three that would hold the most power over personnel

* Gregg Williams - he's underrated. He is a fire and brimstone guy that a lot of players swear by (ex. Smoot). He was our DC the last time we consistently had top 10 defenses and he did it with far less talent than the team we have now.

* Kevin O'Connell - we have no idea about how competent he is organizationally. He could be another Jay Gruden, where he is a good offensive mind but lacks in all the other areas as coach

Gregg Williams?  As in Jets DC Gregg Williams?  Yea, no thanks.  LOL @ Fred Smoot’s vote of approval 🙄

1 hour ago, Redskins Reparations said:

Wasn’t he being groomed as the successor to Joe Gibbs during his second stent and Danny decided he was not worthy of being a Head Coach?  

Yes he was.. Gibbs decided to step away after Sean Taylor's passing and his grandson taylor being diagnosed with cancer iirc..told snyder he was stepping down but highly recommended that he(snyder)hired William's to replace him and that William's is all set up(man for the job)and dan begged and pleaded, kept Joe hanging out till like 2-3 in the am and we he couldn't Gibbs to stay he took his frustrations out on everyone and fired eeerrrrryybody..

2 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Gregg Williams?  As in Jets DC Gregg Williams?  Yea, no thanks.  LOL @ Fred Smoot’s vote of approval 🙄

Well, it was Gregg who first started the change of culture in Cleveland, but I'd rather have him as DC. Does he have flaws? Sure, but his players [ defense ] played physical and hustled, and offenses that played against him felt it the next day.

But HC, I have no idea who I'd pick. I would want a strategist-type of coach who can really utilize a player's strength to his advantage.

The most important thing of all, I'd want a coach who has the balls to tell Snyder the way it is, no sugar coating or patronizing.

Another defensive coach of note is Mel Tucker out at colorado. He's doin things there. But he's the HC there, in his 1st year. Just like with G. Collins there is very little likeihood those guys would see an offer from the Washington football team as even competitive to their current positions. 

Imagine that, the Colorado HC job being more comforting and enticing than the HC job in DC, in the NFL.  Ha.  

Archived