Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

So much for not advancing Talent already in House....O'Connell !!!!. Amazing how everyone else can see the potential in assistants here but all I hear is this board talking about other coaches coming in to replace Gruden. Seems Crazy. I hope Dan is not crazy enough to listen or be influenced by some on this board.

Promote Within...NOW

What Gives Here?

6 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I googled that f word and still dont get it man..what are ya trying to say?...and maybe come at me like a 5th grader lol

You said 'prey' instead of 'pray'.

Prey - hunt and kill for food.

Pray - address a solemn request or expression of thanks to a deity or other object of worship.

1 hour ago, brettstr said:

So much for not advancing Talent already in House....O'Connell !!!!. Amazing how everyone else can see the potential in assistants here but all I hear is this board talking about other coaches coming in to replace Gruden. Seems Crazy. I hope Dan is not crazy enough to listen or be influenced by some on this board to this board.

Promote Within...NOW

What Gives Here?

Problem with O'Connell is that he hasnt even called plays before. We have no idea what he would do as a head coach because he has no prior experience and the guy he learned from was so bad we cut him mid-season. There is no reason to think he can do the job as it stands. 

And someone like O'connell with that kind of resume would not be able to 'stand up to' Bruce and Dan assuming thats going to be the power structure. 

Lots of questions with him, and this org is not built up to support a guy that is learning. Consider what we did with Gruden who had a ton more experience. 

I must be missing something - why is O'Connell considered head coaching material?  Other than that he is here and would probably take the job?

In the end, this will come down to Callahan staying on as head coach, Gregg, or Rex Ryan who is surely sniffing around somewhere.  Probably Callahan.

• @Redskins fans hear me out... let BA keep President title. He’s not going anywhere (unfortunately). Hire Scott Pioli as GM. Try to pluck Kirby Smart from UGA for HC. Let O’Connell take over as OC with Asst HC title. Tomsula takes over at DC with Smart overseeing. @ochocinco for WR Coach. (Chad admires Scarry Terry already)

If you can’t get Pioli, take a look at Peyton Manning for GM. They’ll potentially have the #1 overall pick in the 2020 draft to work with which can be swapped with Miami for at least two of their first rounders and their 2nd rounder. Go for Chase Young, Andrew Thomas, or Tristan

• Wirfs. If you can walk away with two of those, we are set. Re-sign Scherff. Another scenario would be if you let Haskins play it out and he’s not your guy, then pull an Arizona and go for Tua or Herbert in the top 5. Most importantly, now is the time to trade assets for picks:

• Trent Williams, Josh Norman, Jordan Reed, Ryan Kerrigan. See what you can get on the open market. Be sellers at the deadline and those guys should get the opportunity to compete with a potential playoff team this year.

3 hours ago, theTruthTeller said:

I must be missing something - why is O'Connell considered head coaching material?  Other than that he is here and would probably take the job?

He's young and we got burned before.  Other than that, there's nothing that suggests he's head coaching material.

Havent really heard any buzz that he's a hot coaching candidate in demand around the league either.

I know some people are not on board with Todd Bowles...

But I tell you what...If Bruce Allen stays, and Bowles is willing...he may be the best choice. The nostalgia effect may be enough for him to receive more control over the building than other coaches would get. Heck, Dan may even side with him over Bruce every once in a while. We know how Dan loves guys that actually played. Could he even make a power play to get Bruce out of there?!? 

As we go along, and I start to come to the realization that Bruce isn't going anywhere, I begin to change my views. Can't look at it like a normal situation where we just go get the best possible candidate. We are sick, and need the correct medicine to get well. 

33 minutes ago, dballer said:

I know some people are not on board with Todd Bowles...

But I tell you what...If Bruce Allen stays, and Bowles is willing...he may be the best choice. The nostalgia effect may be enough for him to receive more control over the building than other coaches would get. Heck, Dan may even side with him over Bruce every once in a while. We know how Dan loves guys that actually played. Could he even make a power play to get Bruce out of there?!? 

As we go along, and I start to come to the realization that Bruce isn't going anywhere, I begin to change my views. Can't look at it like a normal situation where we just go get the best possible candidate. We are sick, and need the correct medicine to get well. 

I'm not anti-Bowles per se, but I would worry about the offense and developing a QB.  Unless he retained O'Connell or pulled some QB developer from somewhere.

Brian Daboll, Offensive Coordinator, Buffalo Bills

Washington has been unable to establish its own team culture for a decade, so in the past few years it decided to import Nick Saban’s. Eight of the 53 players on Washington’s roster played at Alabama under Saban, including defensive leaders Jonathan Allen and Landon Collins.

“You know the culture is actually damn good,” team president Bruce Allen said at his press conference Monday. “These people care. We have a very young core of players that we have brought in here that are accustomed to winning.”

Short of hiring Saban himself, the best person they could bring in to keep that going is Bills offensive coordinator Daboll. He served as Alabama’s co–offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach in 2017 before taking the OC job with Buffalo last year. Saban hired Daboll as a graduate assistant at Michigan State back in 1998, and Daboll has bounced around the Saban–Bill Belichick coaching tree ever since, including winning three Super Bowls on the Pats staff when he was on it from 2000 to 2006, working as an assistant for Eric Mangini for four years across two teams, serving as offensive coordinator for Romeo Crennel, heading back to the Patriots as tight ends coach for the best years of Rob Gronkowski’s career, and then heading to Bama. Buffalo’s offense is not exactly explosive, but the Bills are 4-1 with Josh Allen at QB, so he’s doing something right.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/10/8/20904341/washington-head-coach-byron-leftwich-mike-tomlin-dan-snyder

15 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It’s one of those ideas that sounds so incredibly stupid, that you can actually believe it could be true.  Only Dan, only freaking Dan.

Its totally going to happen.  Dan would do it so you know its real, and its Bruce's way of showing Dan what a wheeler and dealer he is.

I would hate to have to trade any picks for him, but I'd Love to have Mike Tomlin as a coach. He seems like a no nonsense type of guy and that's this team needs. He also would probably have the ability to attract some decent assistants who would want to be a part of his staff. I think that everybody forgets that no matter how good the Head Coach, he cant do it alone. if you look back to Joe Gibbs and the glory years (seems like forever I know) but we had some awesome assistants back then. Let Tomlin be the Enforcer and get some brilliant minds to coach the Offense and Defense and perhaps we may have some success. Oh wait.....Bruce!!  Never mind!!  

6 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Kirby Smart... He was the DC for Saban. Been saying it for a few years now. Doubt he or anyone would want this craphole job but who knows. I want a defensive background coach, not offense. Defense wins championships. We have a good, young core here.

I wasn't too big on this idea, but the more I think about it, I love it.  Smart comes from the Saban tree, he is a defensive minded coach and his Georgia team always looks ready and disciplined.  Pair him up with a solid young offensive coordinator and we certainly couldn't do any worse than what we've had for the last 10 years. 

Archived