Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Skins Can't Win With These Coaches

desertbeagle85

There was a reason management tried and tried to replace Greg Manusky..  Even with all this talent on the Defensive side, including multiple first round draft picks, he can't make adjustments on the fly..  He is consistently out coached..  It's a damn shame that his ineptitude cost them, what could have been a season changer on opening day.

lazy ass that I am I haven't read all the entries before shooting this in ... I thought Case played a very good game, I thought the rookies played pretty well to excellent, the defense is about as talented as you could hope for ... maybe missing a scary definitely will hit the QB most every down rusher but perhaps Sweat grows into that.  I have to agree with the thread title.  There's no apparent crafty coaching happening at half time ... thank goodness Gruden didn't pitch in his usual excessively passive game plan like every other first game of the season but ... seriously ... any adjustments were lost on me (and apparently everyone else).  Also we're left with 2 choices ... either our O-Line is completely incompetent in the run game ... or the game plan was terrible.  Not sure I know which but I'm leaning towards game plan.

Saw a lot of dropped ball-hits-both-hands passes that would have changed the game ... and of course the over throw to McLaurin will haunt my dreams tonight.  

Sick ... and ... f-ing ... tired of watching the opposition come out of half time with adjustments ... adjustments that mostly work great ... and the Redskins coming out and getting stuffed by them ... on offense and defense.

Praying for the ghost of Richie Petitbon ... the absolute GREATEST ALL TIME HALFTIME COACH ... to pour a little wizdom out all the F over the coaching staff ... a staff that I kinda like ... until the second half whooping happens.

2 hours ago, carex said:

we didn't sit on the lead, we got more flags and dropped passes in the second half, cutting drives short

Which is another good reason for Gruden to blast the Oline to knock it off with the offsides and holding crap. Also, most of his play calling in the second half was like watching a rerun of another vanilla playoff game.

1 hour ago, Sonny9TD said:

... Does the lack of adjustments come as easily to you as it looks?

1 hour ago, Sonny9TD said:

Also the lack of creativity and vanilla plays you call is that also something that is just a lack of preparation or something you plan for?

Gruden could learn something about attacking the other teams weaknesses like a steally eyed killer from these ... oh and I agree

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

This is historically not a strength. We rarely start games with scores, and Gruden teams here have been notorious for starting slow after preseason, so I'm not sure what you're referring to aside from our early streak last year. Never mind how the team looks after the half...which is also coaching. 

I disagree. It’s usually we start off well in the first half, dominate TOP but the score is always close thanks to an epically poor defensive stance late in the half, and then we get blown out in the third quarter.

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

But questionable playcalling.  IIRC, it was the first drive of the third quarter after the Eagles took like 8 minutes to ram the ball up our ass for the entire length of the field.  Moses gets ANOTHER penalty, and so what does Jay call?  A ****ing DRAW PLAY.  Need a big chunk of yardage, the running game hadn't gotten on track, and he calls a DRAW?  

Just when you thought Jay had gotten his team prepared, just when you thought they could play an end to end game and thump Philly from start to finish, the offense goes back in it's shell.   

This is what I'm talking about. No sense of urgency. Just the same old, same old ho hum. I was in the kitchen when Case overthrew the possible TD, but the rest of the half was MORE out of sync from the offense. I agree with those about Manusky, but one good way to see him leave is when Gruden leaves.

If they fire the coaching staff, I hope O’Connell gets fair consideration and they are able to hold onto Kyle and get rid of Allen. Funny thing is There is some sort of conferred protection for Bruce, and His dad never won a championship. Guess Snyder’s generation watched Allen’s teams. 

28 minutes ago, Mooka said:

13 rushes

44 passes

It was 20-7 at halftime. 

Gruden doesn't know how to run the football. 

*Eagles had 1 or 2 good runs that opened up everything in the 2nd half. 

He runs from the same looking formation a lot. Rarely does he run from a spread look, especially on first down. His formations invite the defense to stack the box. 

Every QB here seems to have struggled to get the play in to them. Then they rush to the line with less time to move pieces around. 

What pisses me off the most was his AP comment after the game. Under 30 yards rushing, dude. You look like a guy who wants to be fired and still get paid. 

24 minutes ago, Brokenstriker said:

Sick ... and ... f-ing ... tired of watching the opposition come out of half time with adjustments ... adjustments that mostly work great ... and the Redskins coming out and getting stuffed by them ... on offense and defense.

Praying for the ghost of Richie Petitbon ... the absolute GREATEST ALL TIME HALFTIME COACH ... to pour a little wizdom out all the F over the coaching staff ... a staff that I kinda like ... until the second half whooping happens.

um, this may be the problem; I actually think Ritchie 'wizzed' on the coaching staff.

And I don't blame him at all...

32 minutes ago, Mooka said:

13 rushes

44 passes

It was 20-7 at halftime. 

Gruden doesn't know how to run the football. 

*Eagles had 1 or 2 good runs that opened up everything in the 2nd half. 

The number of runs is misleading.  They ran, unsuccessfully for the most part, on all of their first downs except 2 until they were down 2 scores.  Then they got pass happy.

The issue is not that Gruden doesn’t call runs. It’s that he calls runs at the wrong times and it’s  predictable.  Then they are forced to throw on second and third down to make up for the bad run. 

Then they do it all over again. 

This has repeated itself since 2014

Manusky is just AWFUL. Dude is the most blah defensive coordinator ever. He makes Greg Blache look like a mad scientist. I think in a few weeks we could see Manusky fired and replaced by Rob Ryan. I don't think Ryan is that great either but at least he'll try to craft some blitzes and something creative.

Gruden was bad today too though, but at the same time he did dial up that play that got McLauren wide open after the Eagles took the 21-20 lead, can't fault him for Keenum missing him and the subsequent dropped passes. But some of the playcalling decisions after taking the big lead were just terrible.

2 hours ago, Destino said:

I thought the offensive play calling was fine today.  The passing plays were there to be had in the second half, with guys running open just like earlier in the game.  What changed is that Keenum missed some throws and didn't have enough time to step up and make many others.  The running game wasn't there all game, because the Redskins line got virtually no push off the ball. 

I agree the running game wasn't there because the offensive line didn't look the best. With that being said calling 13 running plays the whole game isn't good play calling to me. It only takes a couple good run to open some more plays up down field. Also 3 of the 10 carries Guice had were on the 1st drive. Hardly balanced offense. 

You have to factor in also that the Eagles front is very good. But we held up protection wise for the most part.

5 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Our blitz was terrible bringing 1 extra guy is easy to predict. We got no pressure on Wentz.

I don't get why we always just blitz one guy and he comes from like 20 yards away. Why not do what other teams do and line 2-3 guys right up on the line? Have some stunts and crosses. We don't ever do anything creative.

The running game confuses me.  So was last season all AP or was it just that AP has the field vision that other RB's on the roster don't? Guice is still a rookie for the most part. This was his first legitimate NFL playing time and he definitely missed some lanes.  Sometimes it was pretty blatant.  It reminded me of the running game prior to AP.  We all thought the O-line has awful at run blocking but a lot of it was RBs who simply had zero vision on the field because whenever we put CT in, suddenly he was finding holes and busting off big runs. (However, CT is not meant for that feature back role........more on CT in a bit).  Then AP gets here and all of a sudden a running game exists.  To me you absolutely have to have AP play next week because we need to know for sure if the issue with the running game has reverted back to the O-line, or if it is Guice still figuring the scheme out, maybe not being patient enough with his cuts etc etc etc....

Back to CT.......so......are we totally mis-using this guy or is this another case of "Since he's a 'Skin, we have overrated him"  I know he has been very good in short stints when not hurt, but compare him to a guy like Sproles, who is 36, but still out there making his presence felt.  CT is built similarly, and should be getting used like that, but Gruden never seems to have plays drawn up specifically for CT.  No screens, HB tosses, etc etc.....whenever CT does get into the game it seems to be just another rush up the middle as a "change of pace"   I can't figure out if the fans just think he is better than he is, or if this is another case of WTF Gruden?

25 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Manusky is just AWFUL. Dude is the most blah defensive coordinator ever. He makes Greg Blache look like a mad scientist. I think in a few weeks we could see Manusky fired and replaced by Rob Ryan. I don't think Ryan is that great either but at least he'll try to craft some blitzes and something creative.

And he’s the best DC hires by Gruden.  Haz, Barry, Manusky.  

That right there is hard to do. 

9 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

I agree the running game wasn't there because the offensive line didn't look the best. With that being said calling 13 running plays the whole game isn't good play calling to me. It only takes a couple good run to open some more plays up down field. Also 3 of the 10 carries Guice had were on the 1st drive. Hardly balanced offense. 

That number would probably be higher without the holding penalties and if the Redskins could have kept a drive going in the second half.  

Archived