Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Skins Can't Win With These Coaches

desertbeagle85

I like Jay as a guy.  Seems like a good dude.

But come on.  I don't need to speak about the lack of adjustments, everyone already else has.

But questionable playcalling.  IIRC, it was the first drive of the third quarter after the Eagles took like 8 minutes to ram the ball up our ass for the entire length of the field.  Moses gets ANOTHER penalty, and so what does Jay call?  A ****ing DRAW PLAY.  Need a big chunk of yardage, the running game hadn't gotten on track, and he calls a DRAW?  

Just when you thought Jay had gotten his team prepared, just when you thought they could play an end to end game and thump Philly from start to finish, the offense goes back in it's shell.  

And Manusky, man.  C'mon.  D-Jax showed you what he could do once, they didn't want to account for it?  The ONLY receiver they have that could get past our defense, he couldn't stop it?

We've got some talent on the defensive side of the ball, we should have a good defensive line but I think we constantly overrate our defense on here, our secondary is garbage.  It's not all Manusky's fault but teams are going to be able to throw on us all year if he can't scheme up some pressure.  And @NoCalMike was absolutely right, Portis was preaching truth on the postgame show.  Sweat did what he did in college getting his hand down and getting after the QB, he's not a standup linebacker.  This team forever is not using players to their strengths.  

Portis also spoke truth about how they're coached.  Jay is cool, calm, collected and thats how these guys act.  I see it in the preseason games, these guys strut around like they've already won something.  And he just hands the keys to Guice today without making him earn it?  Doesn't make him earn the starting role?  Of course, said that's what they do up in New England, everything has to be earned.  I've been holding back for a couple years now but Jay is soft.  The team is soft.  Come out and punch this team in the mouth and there's no fight back.  

17 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

What is this coaching staff's obsession with converting pass rushers into 3-4 hybrid linebackers? It is frustrating to continually see this.

Manusky is being thrashed and rightfully so for making Sweat a stand up linebacker instead of what he excels at.....a hand in the dirt pass rusher.  If that is not what you wanted for your defense, why did you draft him?

It's not just this coaching staff.  It's been this way for while.  Why they do that makes no sense and is probably why they can't generate a consistent pass rush and haven't had one for a long time

I would love for one of these reporters to ask Jay in the post game conference to ask "So how does it feel for your team to get mauled in the second half once again?  Does the lack of adjustments come as easily to you as it looks? Also the lack of creativity and vanilla plays you call is that also something that is just a lack of preparation or something you plan for? Also the same questions for Manusky if we can get him out here

You guys Are overthinking this....it doesnt matter what coaches are on this team....dan snyder will always handicap them anyone who thinks

hes given

up reign is simply mistaken. We will be bad forever its time to just accept it i think half of die hard fans alreadu have there will finally be more cowboys-fans at a redskins home game next week

1 hour ago, desertbeagle85 said:

That's all I had to read. 

Case Keemun

30-45 

380 Yds passing 

3 TDs

0 INTs

Passer rating of 115

🤫🤫🤫

Yet that missed throw would have changed the entire second half. He had a great first half and got a garbage touchdown at the end and then went cold as did the receivers in the second half. But keep looking at numbers and ignoring the game from beginning to end if that's what makes you happy. Guys were open. Jay was calling the right plays. But let's drop our above average coach and go back to the scrap heap thinking that's what's actually going to make our team better. 

4 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

You guys Are overthinking this....it doesnt matter what coaches are on this team....dan snyder will always handicap them anyone who thinks

hes given

up reign is simply mistaken. We will be bad forever its time to just accept it i think half of die hard fans alreadu have there will finally be more cowboys-fans at a redskins home game next week

Yup...you're right. Dan Snyder loves to call runs on first down, and screen plays, and draws....oh and I'm sure he benched Peterson...

The lines got punked in the second half.  It's really easy to overthink football and imagine the other coaches have come up with some magical adjustment.  Admittedly that does happen sometimes, but coaches play calls don't determine the outcome of individual battles up front.  Sometimes the athletes on the field just get their asses kicked.  When the athletes losing those battles are lineman, several of them each snap, the rest of the unit depending on them falls apart.  Nothing works in football if your lineman start to lose badly and they can't stop the skid.  That's what I saw happen to the Redskins in the second half. 

Maybe the coaches could have done more, I'm just not convinced that what happened to the Redskins in the trenches is something easily coached around.  At some point talent weighs heavily and individual and unit performances determine the outcomes. 

I thought the offensive play calling was fine today.  The passing plays were there to be had in the second half, with guys running open just like earlier in the game.  What changed is that Keenum missed some throws and didn't have enough time to step up and make many others.  The running game wasn't there all game, because the Redskins line got virtually no push off the ball. 

Defensively the game plan seemed to assume the DLine would hold up better than it did.  I feel like some lessons were learned there.  The one thing they should have done is keep a safety devoted to stopping Jackson.  That's inexcusable.

29 minutes ago, LaxBuddy21 said:

Yet that missed throw would have changed the entire second half. He had a great first half and got a garbage touchdown at the end and then went cold as did the receivers in the second half. But keep looking at numbers and ignoring the game from beginning to end if that's what makes you happy. Guys were open. Jay was calling the right plays. But let's drop our above average coach and go back to the scrap heap thinking that's what's actually going to make our team better. 

MAYBE he would be an above average OC. But he's the HC and failing at a lot more that falls outside of the playcalling. 

Even if he was above average...do you want Marvin Lewis II here forever? What's even the point.

3rd quarter has been a problem for a while now...as it has for many other .500ish teams.

Gruden and Manusky both got worked today.  The difference is that Jay got kinda let down by his talent (Moses, Richardson, Keenum all whiffed) while Manusky got outschemed right into the scrap pile.  The defensive players never had a chance with silly double LB blitzes leading to 15 yard runs leading to short zones leading to multiple wide open deep WRs on 3rd and long.

Gotta get better....

12 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I actually think Jay does a good job in terms of getting the players to come out big right off the bat.

This is historically not a strength. We rarely start games with scores, and Gruden teams here have been notorious for starting slow after preseason, so I'm not sure what you're referring to aside from our early streak last year. Never mind how the team looks after the half...which is also coaching. 

7 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

This is historically not a strength. We rarely start games with scores, and Gruden teams here have been notorious for starting slow after preseason, so I'm not sure what you're referring to aside from our early streak last year. Never mind how the team looks after the half...which is also coaching. 

Keenum for 380 3 tds is not bad work...on the road...against a top 10 team.

Reminds me of a few Cousins efforts, really.

8 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Keenum for 380 3 tds is not bad work...on the road...against a top 10 team.

Reminds me of a few Cousins efforts, really.

Right, but it's not a trend and we collapsed. He said it like it's something Gruden is known for, hot starts--no way.

It would have been nice to see Guise make that big splash in the NFL like we all hoped, but that just didn't happen.

He seemed like he was not even looking for the hole but just grabbing the ball and going. There were a number of times I saw him and I thought to myself ; I thought he was this good RB who is gonna be a top rusher'. There were holes that opened but he had already committed to one direction before the snap, where he could have taken that slow step and see the hole open.

They have to get him calmed down or he won't amount to anything, and that's where AP comes in; he has patience.

The o-line couldn't get any consistency going and that hurt; but Gruden should have noticed that and adjusted by mid-2nd qtr, but he didn't. The problems were starting to rear themselves in the 2nd qtr, not the 2nd half. Gruden has had this problem since he got here and still hasn't figured out how to resolve it. He just cannot adjust in-game.

Manusky? He was not the guy for DC, but I have a feeling they will not do anything about it, they will let him at least stay through the season, and its a waste of season. The LBers were not in the game, they were all focused on Ertz; the Eagles saw this and exploited it. Manusky was behind the 8 ball for the entire 2nd half, and honestly, the Eagles were just rusty.

I'm not sure if I want to cheer for the Redskins defense to continue fighting or for opponents to smoke them, because even just a little improvement is shown it will give them pause to consider keeping him, but he will never be a good DC.

Well the collapse part is definitely a patented Dan Snyder 20 year trend which has gotten much worse under Gruden.

Kinda hilarious when you think about it.

Dan Snyder after all these years and all the losing coaches, (even HOF coaches) he ends up with the first guy again, Norv Turner and keeps him just as long as Norv hung around while obviously being subpar.

Remember his first game as the owner was the game in 1999 where the Redskins lead 35-14 vs the Cowturds and they come back and win it. It's the same game where we all saw that Dan and Vinny picture losing their minds in their box in the sky.

Now we are doomed to watch that sort of rerun year after year after year. Who didn't see the ending before it even happened? Somebody even mentioned Lucy and the football at halftime, it's also why I compare Dan Snyder to Wile E Coyote all the time because you already know the ending but still have to get upset when it happens lol.

It probably doesn't matter what Dan does, who he hires, fires, or who he drafts, or who he hires to run the draft, because we're going to just keep on paying the price for all his bad karma, if there is such a thing as that, we're stuck in the middle of it until he sells the team.

May as well get some entertainment out of it and laugh when this ****, predictably, happens, over and over and over, year after year after year.

I don't think that Jay can even be a successful Offensive Co-ordinator; he seems totally unable to put together anything even resembling a consistent running game. Offensive Assistant (Passing Game) seems about his limit. Is that unexpected for someone whose main successes were in the Arena League?

I remember growing up (in England) in the 70's/80's and people were shocked at the turnover of NFL coaches compared with English Football. Nowadays, there is no way a manager with Jay's output survives 6 seasons (Given that the way the NFL is set up, all teams should be considered potential 'contenders'). Just not seeing what we think Jay's ceiling is other than 7-9 to 9-7. What's the point in that? Might as well change coach every couple of years and suffer 2-5 win season (and getting high picks for more talent) until you land on someone you feel is worth 3-4 seasons development time rather than continually chasing mediocrity. Any coach who can't get you deep into the playoffs in 4 seasons is starting to see their first draft picks (and their cap-friendly contracts) disappearing and probably isn't worth persevering with.

9 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Well the collapse part is definitely a patented Dan Snyder 20 year trend which has gotten much worse under Gruden.

Kinda hilarious when you think about it.

Dan Snyder after all these years and all the losing coaches, (even HOF coaches) he ends up with the first guy again, Norv Turner and keeps him just as long as Norv hung around while obviously being subpar.

Remember his first game as the owner was the game in 1999 where the Redskins lead 35-14 vs the Cowturds and they come back and win it. It's the same game where we all saw that Dan and Vinny picture losing their minds in their box in the sky.

because we're going to just keep on paying the price for all his bad karma,

Any business owner or leader knows there is no such thing as bad karma, but there is such a thing as creating a bad working environment, an environment people want to leave, an environment where people show no loyalty. We see this time after time.

If you cant create a good environment running a football team you are a real azzhat.

9 minutes ago, CPAllTheWay012 said:

On the Peterson topic...

1. Was Peterson ever asked to play special teams as an option? 

2. Does Jay not see the advantage of running 2 back sets with Guice and Peterson? 

no coach does stuff like that anymore

17 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

I don't know if its gotten worse under Jay but I know the idea that this team collapses when they have leads isn't an exclusive Jay thing.  it's been a song sung under all the coaches starting from Norv.

It seems like a Redskins culture thing.  Ditto losing prime time games.  We tend to think at times its a new thing but its the same conversation from one staff to another.

Stephen Smith on First Take has his knocks on different teams -- his thing on the Redskins is they can't handle prosperity.  As soon as things start rolling for them, things go south.  He's had that rap for years.  Not just for Jay. 

Archived