Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Skins Can't Win With These Coaches

desertbeagle85

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Agreed. Been banging this drum for awhile now.  I thought this all the way back to his first year as a coach.  I don't question his ability to design a scheme on offense, however there is something different than makes up a head coach.  It has to be in your DNA to lead a team, it rarely is something that can be learned.  Jason Garrett is another good example of an O-coordinator who was pretty much just handed the job due to circumstance and has shown his deficiencies as a head coach opposed to O-coordinator. 

Contrast this with the McVay on the Rams.  He not only brought a new offense there, but also an attitude and a culture that he established.  It was clear early on he had that Head coach DNA in him despite his youth and being hired earlier in his career then people expected. 

Yep, agreed. After all these years, what kind of attitude or identity has Gruden brought to this team? There has never been one, which is one hell of an indictment this far into a tenure as HC; that, and piss-poor decision-making year after year after.

4 minutes ago, robotfire said:

I like Gruden.  Manusky is the problem.  Just awful.  Guys shouldn't get confused as often as his defense does.

Big fan of losing are ya?

Gruden is terrible and has been from the beginning. Poor play calling, clock management and worst of all he never makes adjustments.

Just now, desertbeagle85 said:

Not true 

Play calling and 2nd half adjustments is his biggest issue. I'm sure this is about Peterson for you? Guice is the better back and people will soon see that. 

He should have played both but more than just peterson he hangs on too long

6 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

We absolutely can win with these coaches.

We just need to be more aggressive when we take a lead, and not play scared with a lead.

Yeah that’s a coaching issue and pretending these old dogs are gonna learn new tricks is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Some people are going to blame Keenum and some people will say Peterson not playing is the problem. This team scored 20 points in the 1st half with Keenum and no Peterson. The Eagles went into the locker room and made adjustments and the Skins didn't. 

Jay Gruden can't adjust. Hell our whole coaching staff can't adjust. I'm not blaming anyone player today. The coaching is the issue guys and it showed today. 

if what you're doing is working and you adjust, then it's possible you adjust exactly the way the other team wants you to

it is always easier to change when what you're doing isn't working because you've already eliminated one option you had before the game

4 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Not true 

Play calling and 2nd half adjustments is his biggest issue. I'm sure this is about Peterson for you? Guice is the better back and people will soon see that. 

It's second half lack of adjustments, but it's also that they went so conservative with the big lead that they made it easy on the Eagles. Worse, they went hyper conservative and still kept giving up the big plays.

On offense, it felt like Jay thought he had a forty point lead and could just play it safe. Mind you, that's not totally fair as there were a number of drops and that one terrible overthrow.

4 minutes ago, carex said:

if what you're doing is working and you adjust, then it's possible you adjust exactly the way the other team wants you to

it is always easier to change when what you're doing isn't working because you've already eliminated one option you had before the game

What are you saying here? Jay is that you, because I feel like Jay would think this way. 

3 minutes ago, Gibbs828791 said:

Gruden is average..Manusky is a  (Assistant) LB coach

Fixed 😉

Yes Gruden made Case miss a wide open receiver for a touchdown. He made receivers drop balls. It's not that guys weren't getting open. Scheme was not the problem. Wentz and his receivers capitalized on the same types of opportunities and our guys fell apart. The defense is a different story but they always look way better when the offense isn't repeatedly going 3 and out. At this point, I think it's a talent issue. Some young talent and some mediocre talent playing against a team of veterans. We will have to see how things progress but I wouldn't fire anyone until the end of the season. 

But how many coaches have we been through in the last 16 years that we said relatively the same thing about?  Sort of the same story slightly different plot in that department.  Gruden is not inspiring in my opinion and our guys always come out flat, and sloppy in the second half most times.

What bothered me the most was probably our possession right after the Eagles scored on their first possession of the 2nd half.  We had two dropped passes and Keenum overthrew a sure TD, and our O line got called for a false start.   We were not mentally sharp.  And that is another mainstay of this team we have seen for YEARS.  It does not matter who the coach is or who the players are.  If we had scored things would have settled down a bit.

And you can always count on our secondary giving up huge plays and large chunks of yardage.  And the inevitable poor tackling comes in. 

I have no answers I just see the same pattern. I am not sure replacing the braintrust we have in the coaching department would really change anything at this point.

Just now, desertbeagle85 said:

What are you saying here? Jay is that you, because I feel like Jay would think this way. 

I think what I'm saying is clear.  What exactly was Jay supposed to change after the first half?  Most of what he was doing was working?  What successful plays should have been removed from the Redskins game plan going into the second half?

the defense is the bigger problem as they can't get the other team off the field..there is no offense that scores every series and i think fans that think they do are just being unrealistic..This Defense has all the talent and money tied up on that side of the ball and they should play like it.

The difference between Gruden and (some) previous coaches is that these Gruden led teams have a habit of looking good for a quarter or half of football, but once the opponent adjusts, they go into a shell.

The Eagles were trying to pressure Keenum with only 4 rushers in the first half. It wasn't working, they made adjustments and while they weren't totally destroying the O-line, they were definitely getting more pressure and causing the pocket to collapse.  How the hell was Gruden not anticipating that the Eagles would bring more pressure in the 2nd half, and have a bunch of plays ready to take advantage of the more aggressive pass rush?  

That is an example of Gruden being poor at adjustments.

2 minutes ago, LaxBuddy21 said:

Yes Gruden made Case miss a wide open receiver for a touchdown. 

That's all I had to read. 

Case Keemun

30-45 

380 Yds passing 

3 TDs

0 INTs

Passer rating of 115

🤫🤫🤫

2 minutes ago, randyjohnson said:

Bruce is the biggest problem this team has!

Disagree 

That would be the owner. Snyder is the biggest problem. 

6 minutes ago, carex said:

I think what I'm saying is clear.  What exactly was Jay supposed to change after the first half?  Most of what he was doing was working?  What successful plays should have been removed from the Redskins game plan going into the second half?

Not sure how a poster is to know what specific plays should be called.  That's the coaches job, as is adjustments as the game plays out.  It's what made Gibbs so great, it's what makes Gruden so bad.  This is not new, this has been a pattern throughout Coach Gruden's tenure here.  

Archived