Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

2 minutes ago, carex said:

I wonder if he could just decide to retire if no one is willing to pay what he wants

Ego won't let that happen. 

If he plays 4-5 more years at a high level, he's a Hall of Fame guarantee. Can't leave that glory up to chance. 

I think a deal has to be agreed to before any trade is made. Trents camp is probably negotiating deals and will go to the Skins to tell them who they’ve got LTD with and to negotiate from there with the team for compensation. Or give a good faith assurance to the teams that you’ll ink a 4/65 deal with them if they can work out a compensation package. 

but skins likely won’t trade him if a LTD deal isn’t negotiated as it lessens the return 

The Jets Athletic writer wrote the Jets shouldn't give more than a third for Trent, though I presume that was his opinion as opposed to what he heard from sources with the team.

Here's the NY Post on it

The cost for Williams will be two-fold. A team is going to have to be willing to give up trade compensation to the Redskins plus give Williams a contract extension. The second part may be the trickier aspect for the Jets.

Williams is due to make $12.5 million this season. He is expected to be seeking a new deal that would make him one of, if not the, highest paid tackles in the NFL. That reportedly could reach as high as $19 million or even $20 million per season. If those numbers are accurate, it would be unlikely the Jets would commit that kind of money to him when they have so many needs to fill.

The other half of the compensation equation is what will the Redskins be looking for in terms of draft picks. There was a belief last year Washington could have gotten a first-round pick for Williams. He is now a year older and missed an entire season, so the Redskins have less leverage. The Jets have an extra third-round pick from dealing Leonard Williams to the Giants last year. Would a third-rounder this year and a fifth-rounder in 2021 be enough?

The draft-pick compensation will probably depend on how robust a trade market there is for Trent Williams. The Browns are expected to be interested. They reportedly tried to trade for him last year, and they hired Bill Callahan, Williams’ former position coach with the Redskins.

Wherever Williams ends up, it likely will affect the Jets. If a team with a top-10 draft pick trades for Williams, that could take one more team out of the tackle market in the draft and makes it more likely one of the top four tackles will be available when the Jets draft at No. 11.

51 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I think a deal has to be agreed to before any trade is made. Trents camp is probably negotiating deals and will go to the Skins to tell them who they’ve got LTD with and to negotiate from there with the team for compensation. Or give a good faith assurance to the teams that you’ll ink a 4/65 deal with them if they can work out a compensation package. 

but skins likely won’t trade him if a LTD deal isn’t negotiated as it lessens the return 

Russell was talking about this today.  Beyond losing some of the leverage they had to trade Trent last season, the other sneaky part of Bruce's big blunder is it also positioned Trent for a higher pay day and in turn potentially a less attractive get for some teams.  If Trent was traded last year, the market wasn't as a high pay wise as it is now.  Now we got Humphries helping reset the LT market.  Every position gets bumped up salary wise for the most part with each new FA season.

So now we got Trent and his agent asking for probably 20 million a year and that might make him less attractive in the end as for giving both big compensation to Trent and to the Redskins in draft picks.  A Browns reporter was on 106.7 this morning talking about how he thought the sticker shock of what Trent wants now might impinge on a deal or at least what the Browns are willing to give up.

No, Bruce messed up even if we take advantage of the mulligan if for no other reason than Allen's obstinance created a buyer's market. NFL teams know we probably have to sell which means they can bid low.

I still think the starting bid has to be a 2. After all, the Redskins could do nothing and net a three next year. The only thing they'd lose is a one year cap hit.

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

id say the agent sounds out interest in the player and which teams are happy to meet his contract demands, feeds that back to the Redskins who in turn discuss compensation. Then it becomes more a collaborative discussion. 

That's kinda what I thought, especially if other player swaps are involved. But I realised that I didn't know and am still not sure if the agent can report back to the team and say something like "they're willing to offer a 2nd and a 5th" or does the agent not get involved in compensation in any way. Is there a set protocol for this?

2 hours ago, Silvernon said:

Ego won't let that happen. 

If he plays 4-5 more years at a high level, he's a Hall of Fame guarantee. Can't leave that glory up to chance. 

isn't someone not paying his asking price also a shot at his ego?

1 hour ago, London Kev said:

That's kinda what I thought, especially if other player swaps are involved. But I realised that I didn't know and am still not sure if the agent can report back to the team and say something like "they're willing to offer a 2nd and a 5th" or does the agent not get involved in compensation in any way. Is there a set protocol for this?

I think the agent will know what the team want in trade value. It then becomes a circular discussion but they finally get to an end point. 

just like me, the wife and kids over what to have for dinner..you get there in the end.

57 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

1st round pick or we walk...or, your 2nd this year and next.

Otherwise, good luck with the LT you have. We will be fine...

Cut off your nose to spite your face - isn't that what Allen did last year? 

In the end I think Cleveland will be his landing spot.  With Callahan there it helps in terms of him wanting to play there and Callahan convincing the Browns to trade the Skins for him.   Just a guess. 

11 minutes ago, RWJ said:

In the end I think Cleveland will be his landing spot.  With Callahan there it helps in terms of him wanting to play there and Callahan convincing the Browns to trade the Skins for him.   Just a guess. 

Or on the flip side, the browns feel like since they have one of the best OL coaches, they opt for a midtier free agent or a rookie for him to coach up and feel trading for a premier LT isn't necessary.  I would guess the chargers and jets would be more likely, maybe even the broncos, but who knows.

At least we have several teams in the mix, hopefully that will drive the price up and the return will be decent.  

21 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Or on the flip side, the browns feel like since they have one of the best OL coaches, they opt for a midtier free agent or a rookie for him to coach up and feel trading for a premier LT isn't necessary.  I would guess the chargers and jets would be more likely, maybe even the broncos, but who knows.

At least we have several teams in the mix, hopefully that will drive the price up and the return will be decent.  

We shall see.  :)

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

No, Bruce messed up even if we take advantage of the mulligan if for no other reason than Allen's obstinance created a buyer's market. NFL teams know we probably have to sell which means they can bid low.

I still think the starting bid has to be a 2. After all, the Redskins could do nothing and net a three next year. The only thing they'd lose is a one year cap hit.

This is probably the biggest reason why that athletic writer is wrong. If the best we can get is the jets 3rd what, is it like 76, (and a 5th) when we’d get a comp pick in the low 90’s In ‘22 by doing nothing it makes zero sense to do that jets idea. Straight Pass.

49 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Cleveland does have exactly what would make sense: Njoku and picks.

1 hour ago, nonniey said:

Cut off your nose to spite your face - isn't that what Allen did last year? 

I hate this argument because it sets a bad precedence to the other players. You're not happy? Yeah we'll trade you and don't mind getting screwed in the process. As long as YOU'RE happy. 

16 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Cleveland does have exactly what would make sense: Njoku and picks.

To me it makes the most sense. 

Trent Wililams 

for 

David Njoku

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think the agent will know what the team want in trade value. It then becomes a circular discussion but they finally get to an end point. 

just like me, the wife and kids over what to have for dinner..you get there in the end.

So basically you talk about it for an hour and then do whatever the wife and kids want?

5 hours ago, Silvernon said:

lol ... he would have to be the first hof player to never be 1st team All-Pro.

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

Couldn't agree more..I think it'll circle back around to him going to Cleveland, especially with uncle bill there.

One thing we have going for us is that Trent is a ****ing beast. He's got to be as healthy and fresh as he's been in 5 years, and he would likely test top 2 at the combine this year against 20 year olds. 

Don't forget how good he is, hes a monster of a player. Teams know this. fingers crossed

Archived