Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

In reading articles from these other teams, it seems that the general consensus there is that he's a bargain as a 2nd rounder and too costly as a high 1st rounder. I'm becoming more and more convinced that his value will fall somewhere in the middle ( a late 1st round pick). 

45 minutes ago, Gibbit said:

Tough call without a 2nd...when we could get multiple 2/3s

That’s the problem. Regardless of 10th or 66, we won’t get an opportunity to fix things through the draft til round 4. I’m almost inclined to think a 2nd and a third for Trent straight up makes more sense.

Although if Jets wanna go Jamal Adams straight up I’m listening.

12 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

That’s the problem. Regardless of 10th or 66, we won’t get an opportunity to fix things through the draft til round 4. I’m almost inclined to think a 2nd and a third for Trent straight up makes more sense.

Although if Jets wanna go Jamal Adams straight up I’m listening.

Yeah I think with the #2 pick and no 2nd, we go quantity over quality here. Lets bump that up to a 2 a 3 and a 2021 3 (since were giving up a comp pick for it /logic)

8 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

It's a 31 year old Silverback coming off a cancer scare w/a rather lengthy history who will be very, very expensive to resign. He's basically a FA that you have to cough up huge compensation for in picks in addition to salary cap $$$. 

What makes more sense? Allotting a huge portion of your cap to someone carrying that many concerns? Or signing a younger FA with a cleaner injury record, or drafting a Tackle in the top 15-75 with one of those awesome rookie deals, w/that extra fifth year if you're a 1st rounder?

I just don't think these teams are very forward thinking. Yes Silverback is awesome, but it's not Silverback in 2012, or 2014, it's 2020, he's a long ways down the road, and will cost what a peak FA costs to resign AND will require draft compensation. It feels like the worst possible option, and I think teams are always engaging in the worst option of all when they're trying to patch a problem quick with an expensive but proven option in his thirties. It's not a way to build a team unless you're literally sitting their with the franchise QB, and are definitively a LT away from a Super Bowl appearance. If your Kansas City, if your SF, if your baltimore, I get quick fix moves, heck maybe even Minny or New Orleans. But NYJ? Cleveland? Houston? No, you're not that close, Houston destroyed their ability to win with moronic trades, Cleveland is a mess after they short circuited Sashi Brown's superb rebuild, NYJ are a disaster with a crap coach they won't fire and so will just fire him in '21 or '22 after they waste another 1-2 years treading water or worse with him. Just delusional teams. 

a trade means you've got the guy.  Draft picks can bust and you can lose out on negotiations during free agency.  But honestly, with the age of these tackles now these teams might be expecting him to play till his late 30s

Keim's point about the Texans being interested in Trent before trading for Tunsil is a point @volsmet made here way back then, he said he heard that via some of his family contacts in the NFL. (or I am just presuming that's where he got it from)  This is the first time I believe a Redskins reporter said they knew the same.  

7 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I would so love Njoku and a 2nd. We just need to except that he's a move TE and will be a Jordan Reed. He's not a blocker, he's a passing game weapon. 

Njoku's Athletic Profile:

Speed Score: 80th Percentile

Burst Score: 97th Percentile

Agility Score: 82nd Percentile

Dominator: 76th Percentile at Miami

Breakout Age: 79th Percentile at Miami

Herndon's Athletic Profile is garbage, 54th percentile burst score, 13th percentile agility, 52nd percentile Dominator, and 36th percentile breakout age, but Herndon looked like a classic "Solid top 15-18 starting TE in the league". 

I like Njoku A LOT more, what's interesting is that the Jets and Browns went after TE's in the '19 offseason, the Browns signing mega athlete Harris, and the Jets drafting Wesco as a sleepy darkhorse TE last year (some people loved that guy, i didnt study him enough to have an opinion). 

Nice to know that at least 3 of the teams interested have TE's I like, Njoku, Warring, and Herndon. I really like all 3 of them to varying degrees. Warring's probably my fav just because he has 3 more years left on his rookie deal, said deal is cheap, and he's a superb prospect, though less proven than the other two since he was IR for just about all of '19. 

Just now, PartyPosse said:

Well Chargers have until end of May to decide to pick up a 5th year option at 14 million and there’s already word swirling they may not do so.

Than I want him..make him up a new contract and suit him up..to me dude looks like the best wr in the game since Fitzgerald..I know Fitzgerald is still playing.

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to local media talking heads and reading tweets from fans, etc.  Seems like there is quite the disparity in what people think we can get.

A.  You got a camp that sees Trent as damaged goods and represents "meh" on the market and we'd lucky to be able to get a third rounder at best and we should grab it and run as soon as some sap team offers that and overpays with a third rounder.

B. You got a camp that thinks Trent would have gotten a first last year if they timed it right and at worst would get a 2nd and more likely a 2nd and change.

I am part of camp B.  Heck the fact that there are multiple suitors to me indicates that Trent isn't some yawn commodity for teams in the NFL. 

Don't forget Camp C -the we'll get Ward and the Browns 1st or all three of Miami's 1st rounders this year their next 2 years 1sts as well camp. 

12 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

The supply of pro bowl tackles hasn't grown much at all....maybe potential ones but who knows where they'll come from or who they'll be?? That's the real challenge. Teams know how and where they can find Trent and they can negotiate how to get him and what to pay him. So many factors.

But who knows if you're getting the same guy. He's been out for a while, he costs a gazillion dollars to resign, he's getting up there, he's had his injuries and now a cancer scare, he comes with a requirement to resign at a huge cost, or you just threw away picks and/or a player for a 1 year rental. Who cares if he made the pro bowl, he will be more than compensated for those past pro bowls for you by the resigning which you'll be forced to do even if he's subpar or hurt in '20 because most GM's won't want to eat a move if it doesnt pay off immediately, they'll want to just resign him regardless of the on field results in '20, you don't get a discount, he'll want to get paid, and paid a ton after losing all of those paychecks, and you'll be paying for his age 33 season and beyond. 

I get that he's proven and the others aren't, but he's still a risk. He's gotten injured a lot, had the cancer scare, and he'll be 32 in September. 

I repeat, it is a bad move and makes no sense at all for probably a good 28-30 of the 32 teams. It's a terrible use of draft capital and cap flexibility. So glad we aren't actually doing it and would be ecstatic to get Warring or Njoku and a 2nd for him, I like Herndon (don't love). 

16 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

And that's a long time in the nfl?

He'll turn 26 (early in the season), and he's been uneven throughout his career. Was not a young prospect when he came out as he lost basically a full season to a terrifying neck injury that nearly ended his career in college (head collision with the goal post).

1 minute ago, The Consigliere said:

But who knows if you're getting the same guy. He's been out for a while, he costs a gazillion dollars to resign, he's getting up there, he's had his injuries and now a cancer scare, he comes with a requirement to resign at a huge cost, or you just threw away picks and/or a player for a 1 year rental. Who cares if he made the pro bowl, he will be more than compensated for those past pro bowls for you by the resigning which you'll be forced to do even if he's subpar or hurt in '20 because most GM's won't want to eat a move if it doesnt pay off immediately, they'll want to just resign him regardless of the on field results in '20, you don't get a discount, he'll want to get paid, and paid a ton after losing all of those paychecks, and you'll be paying for his age 33 season and beyond. 

I get that he's proven and the others aren't, but he's still a risk. He's gotten injured a lot, had the cancer scare, and he'll be 32 in September. 

I repeat, it is a bad move and makes no sense at all for probably a good 28-30 of the 32 teams. It's a terrible use of draft capital and cap flexibility. So glad we aren't actually doing it and would be ecstatic to get Warring or Njoku and a 2nd for him, I like Herndon (don't love). 

his cancer scare was a mole. it was a mole that got removed...he doesn't have cancer. You are Debbie downer of the day

31 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's true. He's a raging idiot and that owner is a straight up fool for letting him destroy the roster and future of that team with hair brained win now moves. He needed to understand why Walsh had that power and so few others (I guess Jimmy did too, sort of?). Both of those guys were ruthless as hell and would retire your ---, even Montana, kick Herschel to the curb and suck big time if they thought it would pay off long term. They were willing to make long term moves because when invested w/that kind of power, they weren't win now guys, they were coaches with a GM's perspective on the roster and the future prospects of the team. Dullard's like O'Brien can only see as far as their own nose, and so just look at the holes in the team, and then attempt to fill them with any assets available present or future. We could really take O'Brien to the cleaners if Rivera is willing to think long term:

How about this:

Washington gives up Trent Williams and 2021 4th

Houston gives up 2nd, 5th, Kahale Warring, and conditional 2021 1st (If trent Makes 10 starts, it's a 1st, if he doesn't, it turns into a 2nd in '21 and a 4th in '22 (doesn't work, as they traded that 2021 1st)

I would love to just talk his fool self into something like that. The second you mention 2021 conditional draft pick, his mind wanders and he just agrees. 

32 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Plus their 3rd rounder and I would do this deal....

I wouldn't deal for Williams, he'll be 26 early next year, has not broken out yet in the NFL, is it the lack of athleticism or issues at QB? The AYA is ridiculous with him, I'd go with the latter, but he's also played out three years of his rookie deal, gotta decide on the option year after '20 and we will be sketchy at QB next year so will he get a fair shake in terms of his talent? I have no idea.

I would agree that Williams is a weapon we could really use, he's really like a Kellen Winslow type WR/TE hybrid. A huge size weapon, great end zone target, and actually with the AYA, great downfield target too. I just don't know if we have the QB yet to take advantage of his talent, and I'm not keen on having to pay him big money so soon. I love the idea of getting a player from the '18 or '19 class where we still have more years on the rookie deal.

But yeah, pair Williams with McLaurin and you have guys occupying a ton of the field for the passing game and opening more running lanes for our RB's. 

15 minutes ago, Gibbit said:

his cancer scare was a mole. it was a mole that got removed...he doesn't have cancer. You are Debbie downer of the day

I aim to please. 

Okay, I have to change my idea with Houston, how about this:

We give up: Trent Williams and 2021 4th

Houston Gives up: 2020 2nd, 2020 5th, Kahale Warring and 2022 conditional 1st (turns into a 2022 2nd if Williams starts 8 or fewer games in 2020) and 2022 4th. 

Archived