Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Impeachment Thread

No Excuses

Impeachment  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Should Donald Trump be impeached for obstruction of justice?

2 minutes ago, illone said:

He was just joking.

The issue now is that after he does win re-election, and he will, you will start seeing a much faster removal of basic human rights.  This next election may be the last one we ever have...  

The U.S. is strong enough to weather this sociopathic cretin.  We will heal.  It will take time, but we will overcome the nightmare of the Donald Trump administration.

4 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

What are the chances of a censure vote?

Zero.

But it is telling that multiple GOP Senators have had to come out and basically say "Yes Trump did something wrong, but it's not impeachable". It means that they are well aware that everyone but the most brain dead among us understand that Trump abused the power of his office and that this is politically damaging in the short and long run. 

Something that has bothered me during this process is how little it takes to sway people on certain specific matters.  In the case of Abuse of Power being an impeachable offense.  Outside of Dershowitz, what actual legal scholar has argued that it isn't an impeachable offense?   Even Dershowitz himself said the opposite previously, not to mention his own professor came out and said he was wrong.

It seems like on some of these issues there is just way too much room for opinion to be woven into the legal arena despite having specific laws to address the consequences for the actions. 

And I do include myself in the group of definitely needing to seek out actual constitutional scholars on these things most times, Rachel Maddow or Don Lemon or Tucker Carlson or Sean Hannity should not be the people we as a society are looking to for instruction and/or education on these things. 

Seems like the tally of GOP Senators now admitting that Trump did everything he was being accused of is continuing to rise now that they know he is in the clear as far as accountability goes, but I am confused as to how they are forming the opinion of "doesn't rise to impeachable offense" 

19 minutes ago, illone said:

He was just joking.

The issue now is that after he does win re-election, and he will, you will start seeing a much faster removal of basic human rights.  This next election may be the last one we ever have...  

Easy now - A lot has to happen first and even if all the worst happens I still believe this country to recover. Agreed it gets more difficult but it will all come to roost. A few things to consider (I am sure you know them all, just putting them down). 

Election has not happened so it's not 100% he wins. Even if he wins, if the Dems can take the Senate and keep the house (a very likely prospect), to use a phrase mitch likes to use - they will make him a do nothing president. 

If all goes to hell, the Rep win both houses and trump gets reelected, they will get hit really hard with the impending recession - that while it was going to happen anyway, will now be much worse that's the So at the latest 2024 these bat-****-crazy republicans will be sent back under their rocks so the adults can fix their mess - yet again.  

I am not saying any of that is a good thing. I just think the country can withstand even trump and his ignorance and corruption.  

1 hour ago, sportjunkie07 said:

Removing an elected president from office should require egregious unlawful activity. This case clearly does not as evidenced by 3 months of wasting everyone’s time. If you don’t like the results, move to change laws regarding presidential removal. That’s the way it works.

It is the unfortunate further dumbing down of the American public (some of them anyway).  We will have a new generation of people who will equate impeachment with criminality or unlawful activity.

And btw, it was a waste of 3 months because GOP senators would not convict even if they witnessed Trump murder someone on the Senate floor.  Everyone knew that Trump would not get convicted going in.  That's hardly a validation of his actions.

And there's no need to change the laws because impeachment never equaled criminality or "egregious unlawful activity" (though refusing to disburse foreign aid duly authorized by Congress and threatening to withhold it unless the foreign government assists you by investigating a political rival doesn't count?  Seriously?).  If you don't believe me, go take a gander at what constituted "high crimes and misdemeanor" under English jurisprudence and then try to figure out what "egregious unlawful activity" Nixon committed to warrant his third article of impeachment.

Justice Roberts Sternly Admonishes Impeachment Participants To Remember They’re At Complete Farce Of A Trial

https://politics.theonion.com/justice-roberts-sternly-admonishes-impeachment-particip-1841162643

WASHINGTON—After he gaveled the Senate to order Wednesday afternoon, Chief Justice John Roberts sternly admonished both President Trump’s counsel and House impeachment managers to remember they were participating in a complete farce of a trial. “As you address members of this deliberative body, please bear in mind that nothing you say or do will have any effect on the completely predetermined outcome of these proceedings,” said Roberts, exhorting the two sides to go ahead and establish facts, promulgate lies, cite the Constitution, or engage in purely cynical bad-faith arguments, because none of it really mattered anyway. 

dumbest argument i've heard in a long time about anything:

impeachment will overturn the will of the american people

uh. yeah. impeachment against an elected government official, means people voted for the guy but he's being impeached.

that's what impeachment is

yet this argument gains traction as clever among the dopes

1 hour ago, sportjunkie07 said:

Removing an elected president from office should require egregious unlawful activity. 

Well gee thanks professor... are you also compromised in a global child prostitution scheme to come to such a conclusion?

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

Everything the GOP does is with the assumption that (a) their base is very stupid and gullible and (b) the general public isn't much better.

this misses an equally major factor and another sizable segment of the trump base that i know you know is real

the yuge group that really emphasize just hating the lefties as its own fulsome reward...they see don's corrupt self-interest and they know he's lying all the time and don't care---just seeing libs suffer is a fantastically fun time for them, period

2 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

this misses an equally major factor and another sizable segment of the trump base that i know you know is real

the yuge group that really emphasize just hating the lefties as its own fulsome reward...they see don's corrupt self-interest and they know he's lying all the time and don't care---just seeing libs suffer is a fantastically fun time for them, period

Yep.  This is absolutely true.

Gawd, the "yeah he did it, and is was wrong, but not impeachable" crowd is large and growing and it's ridiculous.

They are condoning violations of federal law on solicit valuable items from foreign nationals!

Do these people, many of who love to entangle themselves in foreign business matters, not see how easily this new standard could be used to just absolutely DESTROY them all?

The answer is, of course, the standard shall be inconsistently applied for maximum GOP benefit.

Dem does this?  BAM.  Charge 'em.  Impeach 'em.  Gitmo 4 life.  GOP does it, mehhhhhh.....

I am sure there are way more that were involved and are likely covering their own backsides by covering Trump's.   We all know if this was trending towards Trump actually going down for this the first thing he'd being doing was firing off tweets about how many other people were in the know and contributed and helped and how it isn't fair that he has to be responsible if they aren't. 

1 hour ago, tshile said:

dumbest argument i've heard in a long time about anything:

impeachment will overturn the will of the american people

uh. yeah. impeachment against an elected government official, means people voted for the guy but he's being impeached.

that's what impeachment is

yet this argument gains traction as clever among the dopes

If Democrats actually spoke like this to the American people once in a while instead of always using that high brow "aren't I so distinguished" language they would probably have more support during this impeachment trial or anything in general lol. Nothing they say ever sticks because they're just so vanilla with their phrasing.

1 hour ago, Jumbo said:

Totally true and I experienced it first hand today. 

At lunch time one of my coworkers took his hard hat off and put on a m.a.g.a. hat.

I walked by and said "hey you got some **** on your head"

Long story short after I almost got into a very heated battle with a different trump supporter there but refused to because it wasn't worth it, the guy wearing the hat said really I just wear it to piss people off.

He says " I cant believe there are enough stupid people in this country to get that moron elected"

I honestly didn't even know how to reply.

2 hours ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

What are the chances of a censure vote?

I saw the idea of censure brought up by a few conservative columnists while the proceedings were still in the House. The columnists opined that the Dems were overreaching with impeachment and thought youd get more bipartisan support for censure in the House.

Does anyone think more than even a couple GOP congressmen wouldve voted for censure?

Archived