Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

52 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Rodgers was an excellent prospect but I'm not convinced he'd be the same Rodgers he is today if he hadn't gone to GB. Not only did he get to sit and learn from a HoF QB for 3 seasons, but he also had his game completely changed and refined by McCarthy. If you watch Rodgers play at Cal he was a completely different QB. He was very good but his mechanics were completely different and he was much more rigid in how he played. 

That doesn't mean he wouldn't still be a really good QB, but who knows if he'd be the sure-fire 1st ballot HoFer he is now?

Yeah this whole thing about getting to sit and learn from a HOF is a bit overblown. Favre famously said that it was not his job to mentor Rodgers.

Rodgers best attributes are his quick release, mobility and ability to throw from different platforms. None of which was probably coached by McCarthy. Favre was a gunslinger and probably not a fine example of perfect mechanics...wonder why McCarthy wasn't able to refine his game. 

How can someone report with a straight face about the Giants: "their preference has been to move down and acquire more picks"? 

Gettleman has NEVER traded down. Not once in his career.

He has made 45 total picks as a GM. He has traded up 6 times. He has traded down 0 times. 

Just negligent reporting.

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

How can someone report with a straight face about the Giants: "their preference has been to move down and acquire more picks"? 

He has made 45 total picks as a GM. He has traded up 6 times. He has traded down 0 times. 

From what I've heard, he's desperate to recoup draft capital after that idiotic Leonard Williams trade last year.

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

From what I've heard, he's desperate to recoup draft capital after that idiotic Leonard Williams trade last year.

Maybe. It could easily happen this year.

But that was phrased as "their preference has been", in the past, which could not be further from the truth. 

Here is my "Dolphins craziness" inspired R1 Mock Draft:

*LAV trades #19 to JAX for DE Yanick Ngakue

*CLE trades a 3rd and 4th to WAS for Trent Williams

*MIA trades 18, 26, 39 and a 2021 2nd to Detroit for #3

*MIA trades 3 and 5 to CIN for #1

1.1: MIA - Joe Burrow, QB LSU

1.2: WAS - Chase Young, Edge OSU

1.3: CIN - Tua Tagovailoa, QB Alabama

1.4: NYG - Jedrick Wills, OT Alabama

1.5: CIN - Tristan Wirfs, OT Iowa

*Trade: ATL sends #16, 2nd and 2021 2nd to LAC for #6

1.6: ATL- Jeff Okudah, CB OSU

*Trade: DEN sends #15, 2nd and 2021 3rd to CAR for #7

1.7: DEN - Henry Ruggs II, WR Alabama

1.8: ARI - Isaiah Simmons, LB/S Clemson

1.9: JAX - Derrick Brown, DT Auburn

1.10: CLE - CeeDee Lamb, WR Oklahoma

1.11: NYJ - Andrew Thomas, OT Georgia

1.12: LAV - Jerry Jeudy, WR Alabama

*Trade: JAX sends 1.19 and 3rd to SF for #13

1.13: JAX - C.J. Henderson, CB Florida

1.14: TB - Mekhi Becton, OT Louisville

1.15: CAR - Javon Kinlaw, DT South Carolina

1.16: LAC - Justin Herbert, QB Oregon - I think LAC trade back to accumulate assets in hopes of making a play for a QB in 2021. But Herbert unexpectedly falls (ala Haskins 2019) and the Chargers jump on him.

1.17: DAL - K'Lavon Chaisson, Edge LSU

1.18: DET - Justin Jefferson, WR LSU

1.19: SF - Cesar Ruiz, C Michigan

1.20: JAX - Xavier McKinney, S Alabama

1.21: PHI - Patrick Queen, LB LSU

1.22: MIN - Kristian Fulton, CB LSU

1.23: NE - Yetur Gross-Matos, DE Penn State

1.24: NO - Kenneth Murray, LB Oklahoma

1.25: MIN - Ezra Cleveland, OT Boise State

1.26: DET - Jeff Gladney, CB TCU

1.27: SEA - AJ Epenesa, DE Iowa

1.28: BAL - Jaelen Raegor, WR TCU

1.29: TEN - Josh Jones, OT Houston

1.30: GB - Austin Jackson, OT USC

1.31: SF - AJ Terrell, CB Clemson

1.32: KC - Trevon Diggs, CB Alabama

29 minutes ago, skeenzfan said:

Yeah this whole thing about getting to sit and learn from a HOF is a bit overblown. Favre famously said that it was not his job to mentor Rodgers.

Rodgers best attributes are his quick release, mobility and ability to throw from different platforms. None of which was probably coached by McCarthy. Favre was a gunslinger and probably not a fine example of perfect mechanics...wonder why McCarthy wasn't able to refine his game. 

Fair enough on learning from Favre. Have to disagree on McCarthy and Rodgers. A lot of that was very much coached by McCarthy. If you watch Rodgers at Cal he had the "textbook" mechanics: somewhat robotic dropbacks, throwing motion with the football up at the ear hole of the helmet, etc. McCarthy didn't take sloppy mechanics and make them textbook; he actually did somewhat the opposite: he saw the potential Rodgers had and actually made his mechanics a bit more unorthodox, including having him hold the ball lower, etc. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/03/sports/football/the-education-of-the-packers-aaron-rodgers.html

Coach Mike McCarthy arrived in Rodgers’s second season, and he recognized the talent that spent Sundays holding clipboards. Since 1993, McCarthy has charted quarterbacks in five footwork drills that rate agility and movement. In his three backup seasons, Rodgers improved most in those areas, McCarthy said, to where he now ranks “at the top of all of them.”

In what McCarthy calls his Quarterback School, Rodgers concentrated on tuning his fine motor skills: hand-eye coordination, finger dexterity, mechanics. He also lowered where he held the ball for a smoother, more consistent motion.

33 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Fair enough on learning from Favre. Have to disagree on McCarthy and Rodgers. A lot of that was very much coached by McCarthy. If you watch Rodgers at Cal he had the "textbook" mechanics: somewhat robotic dropbacks, throwing motion with the football up at the ear hole of the helmet, etc. McCarthy didn't take sloppy mechanics and make them textbook; he actually did somewhat the opposite: he saw the potential Rodgers had and actually made his mechanics a bit more unorthodox, including having him hold the ball lower, etc. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/03/sports/football/the-education-of-the-packers-aaron-rodgers.html

That article that you are quoting was written in the aftermath of their superbowl win. If anything the narrative has been that McCarthy was not always enthused with Rodgers for 'free balling' rather than sticking to the scripted play. That would tell me is that if anything he wanted him to be more orthodox in his approach. It is also well documented that the two did not enjoy a good relationship during McCarthy's entire tenure at GB. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/aaron-rodgers-apparently-had-toxic-13-year-relationship-with-former-packers-coach-mike-mccarthy/

Draft day “My Guys” list, your favorite prospects through the draft, guys you’re higher on than the majority.

Who ya got

18 minutes ago, ShredSkins said:

A draft with no Todd Mcshay? That's gonna be weird 

As long as there is no Wingo, we’re good. Wingo is my top 5 fight on sight humans. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd guess a receiver or corner. 

I’ve seen you say this previously and I tend to agree.  Deep draft for both, both needs for us, and our other positions of need are likely a bit light on options at this point.  That also means more of a chance a guy falls to us that we have a 2nd round grade on.  On the flip side, the depth at those two positions is a reason we could wait on them  and instead go after another position - LB, S, T, IOL or one of the top 2 TEs (assuming the team has them rated similarly to the draft community).  

Before the draft tomorrow, I am going to try to rewatch Igbinhoghene.  I think I have a good handle on Arnette who could drop to the third.  I will also try to watch Reggie Robinson, Amik Robertson, Josiah Scott, Dantzler.  Somehow I think we will be talking about one of these guys in the next few days.   I think a corner cracks this lineup.  

So many interesting corner prospects.  I mentioned several, and looking at your list, I left out a bunch.  I’d consider double dipping with Moreau and Darby set to be FAs in 2021 (and I’m not sold on either as a starter).  Still think it will be tough for a guy to beat out those two ^ and Moreland/Johnson/whoever for a starting gig (particularly if the offseason is affected).  Definitely possible though.  

WR, I think almost for sure if they take one of the guys that drops to the third they'd likely start at Z. 

By ‘drops to the third’, you mean - Higgins/Mims/Pittman?  Agreed.  Shenault might fit in that group too, though I’d guess he’d be more of a contributor than a starter early on.  As I said before, VJ and TJ are the two I could really see beating out Harmon because of their polish/experience... though maybe Hill (hope we don’t take him that early) or Aiyuk/Hamler with their speed could earn the spot as well.

As for TE, I actually like 14 of the 16 TE's i listed yesterday better than Sprinkle.  I'd presume 4th-6th round?

That’s crazy... and I don’t mean your opinion.  

1 minute ago, volsmet said:

Draft day “My Guys” list, your favorite prospects through the draft, guys you’re higher on than the majority.

Michael Pittman WR

Cam Dantzler CB

Harrison Bryant TE

Ben Bredeson OG

Charlie Heck OT

Dalton Keene TE

Shaq Quarterman LB

Terence Steele OT

Steven Guidry WR

5 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Who ya got

my three from way back in January would be

Jordyn Brooks LB

Brycen Hopkins TE

Javaris Davis CB

19 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Who ya got

As long as there is no Wingo, we’re good. Wingo is my top 5 fight on sight humans. 

Guys that I am higher on than most?

Joshua Kelley- Walk on beast of a RB. Lacks ideal speed. But he is a football player.

Ben Bartch- Project Tackle I love. Will need a little work. But has that nasty streak you love.

Jacob Breeland- Injury problems. But the best hands in this TE class IMO.

Darrell Taylor- Could end up going a lot higher than people think. Another football player.

Jordan Elliott- Brutal hand mauler. Beats OL to death. Might sneak into the 2nd IMO.

Malik Harrison- Would love him in the 4th. Playmaker.

Julian Okwara- I like him as a 4-3 OLB. He was an edge guy at Notre Dame. 

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Did they possibly mean that this year Gettleman has been trying to trade down. As in "Redskins preference has been to trade Trent Williams"? Meaning that it's the organisation's wishes but it hasn't come off yet?

Just now, UKskins said:

Did they possibly mean that this year Gettleman has been trying to trade down. As in "Redskins preference has been to trade Trent Williams"? Meaning that it's the organisation's wishes but it hasn't come off yet?

maybe, if so it's poorly worded. That is not the sort of syntax you usually see here. 

The irony about Gettleman is his drafts have been arguably pretty good in NY.  FA IMO has been his weakness ironically just like its been ours.  But at the moment his Beckham trade arguably looks good when you compare it apples to apples to other compensation that other teams have received in trades. 

36 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Who ya got

WR M. Pittman

WR D. Duvernay

WR V. Jefferson

LB P. Queen

OT A. Thomas

I would draft all of these guys higher than they are being mocked...thus sealing their doom...

Archived