Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

2 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Damn, not bad. He picked up a lot of steam the last few weeks.

Jones has some issues, he could fall to us, that would be tremendous. Wilson is a guy many think would go top 10 next year, just a Rs soph, so the potential is huge. 

Clev not going in 1 was a bit surprising, but the draft is just so deep, he’d have gone in 1 last year easily. 

Just now, volsmet said:

Jones has some issues, he could fall to us, that would be tremendous. Wilson is a guy many think would go top 10 next year, just a Rs soph, so the potential is huge. 

Clev not going in 1 was a bit surprising, but the draft is just so deep, he’d have gone in 1 last year easily. 

I thought I read something about him that said he didn't give up a sack, but I guess that never really truly tells the whole story.

Where are the OT dropoffs this year? For example the dropoffs I see, or how I would group the first two groups are:

Group A: You've got Thomas, Wills, Becton, Wirfs.

Group B: Jackson, Wilson, Cleveland, and Jones I'm assuming. 

So after group B is there a major dropoff and are they somewhat reaches in your opinion with our 3rd round pick? 

3 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I thought I read something about him that said he didn't give up a sack, but I guess that never really truly tells the whole story.

Where are the OT dropoffs this year? For example the dropoffs I see, or how I would group the first two groups are:

Group A: You've got Thomas, Wills, Becton, Wirfs.

Group B: Jackson, Wilson, Cleveland, and Jones I'm assuming. 

So after group B is there a major dropoff and are they somewhat reaches in your opinion with our 3rd round pick? 

Wanogho, Peart, Charles, Niang, Bartch. All guys with grades from 2 to 4 depending on the scout. I like Jones a lot. 

19 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Wanogho, Peart, Charles, Niang, Bartch. All guys with grades from 2 to 4 depending on the scout. I like Jones a lot. 

I'm definitely not as familiar with this group. Who's the best player in it in your opinion? Yeah Jones I thought was a sure-fire 1st rounder, I thought he would go late 1st though. 

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Kind of regret the Montez trade, not going to lie.  We would be guaranteed one of Diggs or Fulton if we had it.  Having DK Metcalf and one of those guys trumps having Montez, but hindsight is 20-20.  We can still make out well because we got McLaurin and have a good chance to get another third round gem.  And we now have, without a doubt, the most athletic edge tandem in the NFL to pair with three dominant interior linemen.  It's a badass unit that could be the kind of legendary group that gets a cool nickname and sets the standard for the franchise like the Hogs did for the OL.

Having Dk means no Terry. But we could have drafted Greedy Williams at that spot.

3 hours ago, volsmet said:

If we had taken DK, we wouldn’t have taken Terry. 

I think we saw Terry as primarily a ST contributor.  I think Metcalf replaces Harmon in that class instead.  Metcalf is who I would have picked for sure.  100% no hesitation, he was the BPA for me by a full round. But I take the point that we might the not have picked him because Jay and Allen were bad at the draft and routinely messed up the second round.  Supposedly Jay didn't like Metcalf, which speaks poorly of his evaluation skills.

2 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'm definitely not as familiar with this group. Who's the best player in it in your opinion? Yeah Jones I thought was a sure-fire 1st rounder, I thought he would go late 1st though. 

Charles. But he’s a bit of a character concern. 

Id have Niang over Cleveland, personally. I just don’t love Cleveland like some around here do. I DO see his potential. So I’m not gobsmacked with the love for him. 

Unless the Redskins get more draft capital through a player trade, I don't see them picking before 66. There will be plenty of talent available there and I wouldn't be surprised if they  hope to trade down a little to grab an extra 4th if the can.

The had a decision to make when they to take Young or trade down and turning it into about 4-6 players (picks) or more if the moved down with any of them. Young is a guy that keep offenses busy and frustrated. Now teaming with the other DL I almost feel sorry for those QB's.

4 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

If you think about the contract Clowney commands these days, and his impact, two 2nds is a pittance to pay. 

Normally I'd agree.  But with the benefit of hindsight, we know that in this particular situation, two early first round talents would have been available at our picks in the second--Metcalf and Jones/Fulton/Diggs/Higgins.

The Clowney comparison isn't bad.  I think Sweat is a better kid though.  He's unassuming and seems to want to work harder.  I think he can actually bend and play low even though he's looked stiff in the past.  The underdeveloped rush instincts/pre-snap plan is a valid comp though, and it could hold him back from realizing his huge potential.  To me the biggest difference between Sweat and Hunter is the quality of their instincts.  Hunter confidently and aggressively plays through his blockers.  Sweat doesn't have that special feel for the game to make the play through his match up.  He needs to see the key develop a little longer and be kept a little cleaner to go and get the ball.  23 year old rookie too, so he doesn't have as much untapped upside as Hunter did.

I hope I'm wrong and the lightbulb comes on for him in a major way this year.  It should certainly help playing DE full-time and having Chase on the opposite side, getting the protections slid away from Montez.  Edge rushers are monstrously expensive, and this was a weaker edge class.  Montez would have been the second rusher off the board this year, he's a good deal better than Chaisson.  I just think Fulton and Metcalf are each better than him.

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

A lot of really appealing prospects still on the board.  Praying one makes it to 66.

I think Josh Jones is the guy I want to fall to 66 the most.  But Kristian Fulton would be a god send too.  Tee Higgins or Jonathan taylor would be great too.

One of these guys has to be there:

Akeem Davis-Gaither

Josh Jones

Adam Trautman

Tee Higgins

Kristian Fulton

Winfield Jr 

McKinney (lord... if he falls!!!)

Chinn

Dugger

Niang

Cleveland

Gallimore

Wilson

Taylor

Mims

Cushenberry

Shenault

Diggs

Kmet

Jaylon

Epenesa

Baun

Okwara

Yetur

Weaver

Swift

Blacklock

Davidson

Delpit

Madubuike

Pittman

Hurts

Hennessey

Uche

Hamler

Akers

Charles

Elliot

Van Jeff

Gibson

Biadasz

Kindley

Clark

Dantzler

Igobinhene

And I know im forgetting guys I like. Not all of these for us, but doing quick math that looks like a lot more than 32 dudes. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Skins trade back from 66 and still snag a guy they like.

Top 5 guys on the board I favor for 66 if they are there (some will not be, if not all of them):

Cameron Dantzler

Xavier McKinney

Josh Jones

Antonio Gibson

Akeem Davis-Gaither

There are more I’d love, though. Going to be an interesting night.

It's a bad situation brewing in Green Bay.  Rodgers has a potential out in his contract after 2021.  I could see him pulling a Brady and heading for sunnier climes where the rest of the team is pre-built.  But there is a ton of money in the last two years of his current deal.

If Rodgers stays, Jordan Love will not play during the next four years except in injury relief.  They'd be in a situation of having to pick up his fifth year option without having been able to see him start.  He needs the time to sit, but it's weird for a 13 win contender with an aging HoF QB I draft a project QB first round instead of trying to use the pick to help make another run in the short term.

14 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Unless the Redskins get more draft capital through a player trade, I don't see them picking before 66. There will be plenty of talent available there and I wouldn't be surprised if they  hope to trade down a little to grab an extra 4th if the can.

i’m inclined to agree..but that may change if we get picks for Trent.

and if Shenault, or what about one of the remaining tackles, slides into the late 40s/early 50s...I could see us trading up including a 2021 third rounder to jump.

Some of the prebuzz before the draft came out true

A.  Dolphins still like Tua but won't give up the moon for him and they think he can easily fall to 5.  Some noise that they liked Herbert more but enough Miami reporters including one who is typically plugged in contradicted that.

B. Eagles loving Reagor

C.  Giants going LT.  though some thought it would be Wirfs

D.  Lions Okudah

E.  Simmons not going top 5

F.  Teams loving CEH

G. I. Wilson going in the first

H.  Ruggs might be the first receiver taken

I.  Brooks sneaking into the first round

J. Jefferson going the first round

K. SD loving Herbert

What didn't happen that was a rumor

A. Cleveland going in the first

B. Raiders go QB

Maybe some other things too but I have to think about it.

My point is more pre-draft buzz came out true especially the quirkier stuff than usual so am thinking what else was said some and does that play out, including?

A.   Diggs might fall to the third.  Though there has been mixed things said on this

B.  J. Jones is more loved by draft geeks than GMs making the picks

C. D, Mims is more loved by draft geeks than GMs making the picks (though there has been mixed things said on this)

D.  Pittman is loved more by GMs than draft geeks

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It's a bad situation brewing in Green Bay.  Rodgers has a potential out in his contract after 2021.  I could see him pulling a Brady and heading for sunnier climes where the rest of the team is pre-built.  But there is a ton of money in the last two years of his current deal.

If Rodgers stays, Jordan Love will not play during the next four years except in injury relief.  They'd be in a situation of having to pick up his fifth year option without having been able to see him start.  He needs the time to sit, but it's weird for a 13 win contender with an aging HoF QB I draft a project QB first round instead of trying to use the pick to help make another run in the short term.

Even if Love pans out, I don’t like the pick. I don’t like Love that much, though. Dude didn’t play nearly as well this year as previous years. I think guys like Fromm and season have higher upside, to be honest. I like the other Love better. And as evidenced during the season, imma Hurts fan. 

I think Green Bay reached and the only real accomplishment is that they pissed off their already pissy star quarterback.

Jones is someone I could see us trading up for if he lasts through the first dozen picks or so tonight.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

One of these guys has to be there:

Akeem Davis-Gaither  -- I always thought he'd be there in the third, love the player though

Josh Jones -- surprised he's there, i haven't  watched him though, I recall reading somewhere teams aren't as high on him as mock draft types

Adam Trautman -- 50-50 I think he will be there in the third

Tee Higgins -- I'd be surprised if he makes it to the third.  I'd take him in 2 seconds. 

Kristian Fulton -- i am back and forth on Fulton but man we need a corner.  I think there will be a run on corners in the 2nd. 

Winfield Jr -- love him, be shocked if he falls

McKinney (lord... if he falls!!!), love him, too wouldn't be shocked if he falls, his speed might scare some teams off

Chinn  if they loved Simmons as some say, he's the closest Plan B.  Killer athlete who can do it all, a bit raw but can develop. Love him. 

Dugger -- similar to Chinn but a half a peg lower IMO

Niang -- Love him at that spot

Cleveland -- Love him even more than Niang at that spot, I think he will be gone though

Gallimore -- I don't want another DT

Wilson -- good player, I think he will fall to the third

Taylor -- I'd pass if its the LB, maybe I'd take if its the pass rusher from Tenn.

Mims -- I loved him when I watched him months ago, I have to rewatch though

Cushenberry -- I like him

Shenault -- I've not been a big fan but don't hate him, if they love him, I'd go on that ride and trust it. 

Diggs -- no brainer, unless there is something I missing if he falls

Kmet -- am a big fan, I'd take him

Jaylon -- no brainer if he fell, unless injury concerns, perfect dude to deal with someone physical like Ceedee

Epenesa -- don't want another pass rusher unless I love them

Baun -- I'd be good with it. 

Okwara -- don't want there

Yetur -- don't know enough about

Weaver -- don't want there

Swift -- I love

Blacklock -- I like but don't want

Davidson -- I like but don't want

Delpit -- if only he could tackle

Madubuike -- don't know enough about

Pittman -- I love

Hurts -- I like him more than most but don't want a QB

Hennessey -- maybe

Uche -- can he play OLB, then maybe?

Hamler -- don't want

Akers -- don't want him there

Charles -- too early for him

Elliot - don't want a D tackle

Van Jeff == love him but I like a bunch of other names here more

Gibson -- love him, maybe early for him, hard to tell

Biadasz -- if his injury concerns are legit, too early otherwise maybe

Kindley too early.  I'd put Robert Hunt here instead and yes I'd take him

Clark too early

Dantzler -- physical corner, I'd take him

Igobinhene -- he was already drafted

And I know im forgetting guys I like. Not all of these for us, but doing quick math that looks like a lot more than 32 dudes. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Skins trade back from 66 and still snag a guy they like.

Top 5 guys on the board I favor for 66 if they are there (some will not be, if not all of them):

Cameron Dantzler

Xavier McKinney

Josh Jones

Antonio Gibson

Akeem Davis-Gaither

There are more I’d love, though. Going to be an interesting night.

I added my comments to all those players, nice job on your end compiling all of them. 

We are for sure going to have a dilemma in the third. I said it for months.  And because it's really a no brainer because it happens every draft.  There is going to be some dude in that third we didn't expect to be there so  Kyle will have the decision to make to either take said player or trade down.

Rivera mentioned in an interview he's like to pick up another pick in the 3rd-4th round range.  If so either they trade Trent or they might trade down.  But I'd bet whatever player there would make it tough. 

Revisiting my guys:

Chase Young, EDGE

Jeremy Chinn, S

Kyle Dugger, S

Denzel Mims, WR

Michael Pittman, WR

Bryan Edwards, WR

KJ Hill, WR

Cesar Ruiz, C

Lloyd Cushenberry, C

Matt Hennessy, C

Frederick Mauigoa, C