Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 hours ago, volsmet said:

The elite player in the back 4 we need:

Diggs stumbles giving up that first TD, but that speed in chasing down DK, followed by the play on the next deep ball, show extraordinary traits... traits we need. 

Love the potential of young Mekhi Becton, 6-7 342.

Possible lb partner for Reuben, the freak Dylan Moses:

Or, the beast, Daniel Bituli.

The most versatile prospect in the draft, perhaps my favorite defensive player in college football, the perfect defensive prospect for the new age of nfl football, Mr. Brooks ... 

2 hours ago, volsmet said:

The pass rush class of 2020 is pure insanity.

Matos & Kareem:

2 hours ago, volsmet said:

Speed option for Haskins, Jalen Reagor:

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

Higgins is so smooth. 

QB, WR, OT, Edge, CB & perhaps even RB - loaded in 2020.

Johnson, incredible.

Shenault, silliness.

On 5/8/2019 at 10:45 AM, volsmet said:

Wirfs is nasty, should be a great OT class.

Pro Football Focus lists Iowa junior T Tristan Wirfs among the prospects to watch in the 2020 NFL Draft class.

Wirfs (6'5/320) has been a hot name as of late -- if there is such a thing for a draft that doesn't take place for another 11-plus months -- with the Hawkeye lineman being mentioned in several mock drafts. "Wirfs is as physically dominant a sophomore offensive lineman as you’ll see in college football," PFF's Mike Renner writes, also noting that he doesn't turn 20 until January. This is a much stronger offensive line class than last year, but it wouldn't be a surprise to see Wirfs go in the first half of the first 32 picks -- aka the first round -- in April 2020.

On 5/9/2019 at 12:36 AM, volsmet said:

Finally my Vols will have a stud or two... led by my favorite recruit of the 2015 class, Hopewell's Darrell Taylor. Former WR turned edge, he will crush the combine after leading the sec in sacks in 2019.

Introducing Mr. #WGWTFA

On 5/9/2019 at 9:40 AM, volsmet said:

On 5/7/2019 at 1:14 PM, volsmet said:

The kids are getting more training & far more are playing football year round ... and humans continue to get bigger/faster/stronger - the HS talent gets more extraordinary & the drafts just get deeper. Those Edge guys next year are unbelievable... the kid from Iowa... another former 5 star blue chip kid. He’s closer to 276 or so I believe, he’s going to be a problem in the league. 

And the St Johns freak returning from injury

ObedientAdmirableKingbird-small.gif

Struggling with the formatting in the above post. 

Thanks for posting all of those prospect videos, Volsmet. I can't wait to watch them when I'm on a better connection. 

I love watching great defense and I want to see us continue to add there. I worry however that further 1st round investment in the front 7 is just going to cause us to lose players in the long run, because of the cap implications. We need to also look at all of this from a roster construction paradigm. Right now, we are already going to have to resign Allen, Payne, Ioannidis, Foster and Sweat, in a relatively narrow 2-3 year window. Hopefully Haskins will also be demanding a big contract in the same time frame. That's going to be super expensive. We obviously also will need to pay a LT, a WR, a TE, etc.

We have to look at the opportunity cost. If drafting Jeudy doesn't cost us being able to resign DaRon Payne, maybe that's a better pick than Chase Young. Obviously the conversation is only really relevant if we are considering taking prospects with a similar grade. I just worry about our ability to keep all of these great front 7 players together. Seattle wasn't able to keep that defense together once they paid Russell Wilson. Of course, that's a pretty nice problem to have. 

2 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Struggling with the formatting in the above post. 

Thanks for posting all of those prospect videos, Volsmet. I can't wait to watch them when I'm on a better connection. 

I love watching great defense and I want to see us continue to add there. I worry however that further 1st round investment in the front 7 is just going to cause us to lose players in the long run, because of the cap implications. We need to also look at all of this from a roster construction paradigm. Right now, we are already going to have to resign Allen, Payne, Ioannidis, Foster and Sweat, in a relatively narrow 2-3 year window. Hopefully Haskins will also be demanding a big contract in the same time frame. That's going to be super expensive. We obviously also will need to pay a LT, a WR, a TE, etc.

We have to look at the opportunity cost. If drafting Jeudy doesn't cost us being able to resign DaRon Payne, maybe that's a better pick than Chase Young. Obviously the conversation is only really relevant if we are considering taking prospects with a similar grade. I just worry about our ability to keep all of these great front 7 players together. Seattle wasn't able to keep that defense together once they paid Russell Wilson. Of course, that's a pretty nice problem to have. 

We desperately need an elite talent outside the hashes, wr or db, so Jeudy or Diggs in round one works & continues to build our foundation of Bammers. 

A dominant interior OL isn’t going to be in the cards for us without a 2nd rounder — so a trade, FA or Martin being the steal of the draft are the most realistic fixes to that issue. 

The WR class looks unbelievable right now, perhaps we move back next year & recoup that 2nd. Diggs & Johnson would send us into 2020 looking pretty dynamic on both sides so long as Guice & Love are strong.

Indi handicapped Washington in the top 5 in next years draft, we will make them pay for doubting the wild-jay. 

I believe the 2020 class may have 4 WRs who would have topped the 2019 class, 4 OTs, 3-4 QBs who would have graded above all but Murray, 3 CBS, & 2 S... that leaves Edge, & though the top of the 2019 class was loaded, the 2020 class is significantly better. 

We need more picks.

2020 is a freak show. Watching these edge rushers is insane, & Young May end up being rated more highly than Bosa. 

At DT I love Oliver & Wilkins, but the DT group next year is solid as well. 

At RB I see Dobbins rated #1, I don’t know how he compares to Jacobs, but I do know I’d take Anthony McFarland ahead of just about every back in last years class & he’s not mentioned in several top 20’s, or any top 10s. 

What a time to be alive.

Wirfs doesn’t get a lot of love yet, but he will. Maybe we just stick this big boy next to Trent & tell Haskins he can relax back there. 

The ES has to love a wrestling background:

4 hours ago, volsmet said:

We desperately need an elite talent outside the hashes, wr or db,

A dominant interior OL isn’t going to be in the cards for us without a 2nd rounder — so a trade, FA or Martin being the steal of the draft are the most realistic fixes to that issue. 

The WR class looks unbelievable right now, perhaps we move back next year & recoup that 2nd.

Never too early to start thinking about next year!

First thought peek they will need an elite DB, T, WR and I think C plus an answer at TE.

Moving back in the first or trading someone will be needed to make up for the missing 2nd rounder.

Last years post draft volsmet draft

1. D James
  2. D Guice
  3. M Jefferson
  4. M Hurst
  5. T Settle
  6. Equanimeous St Brown
  7. Holton Hill
  8. Desmond Harrison

This year:

Sweat

Rosen

Nate Davis

Hakeem Butler

Amani Hooker

Blake Cashman

Drew Forbes

Stephen Denmark

Kaden Elliss

Tyree Jackson

Baltimore kid likely starting for Clemson next year, should be drafted, possibly top 100 if he realizes his potential... he was a 5 star recruit.

Another interesting OL prospect:

Toa at LT here:

Shenault is maybe my favorite player to watch in college football. He's like a love child of Cordarelle Patterson and Sammy Watkins, but with dominant contested catch ability. I know because they've disappointed in the NFL that comp might seem underwhelming, but purely as talented freaks is what I'm talking. 

5 hours ago, volsmet said:

Last years post draft volsmet draft

1. D James
  2. D Guice
  3. M Jefferson
  4. M Hurst
  5. T Settle
  6. Equanimeous St Brown
  7. Holton Hill
  8. Desmond Harrison

This year:

Sweat

Rosen

Nate Davis

Hakeem Butler

Amani Hooker

Blake Cashman

Drew Forbes

Stephen Denmark

Kaden Elliss

Tyree Jackson

I don't agree with every pick from your draft last year, but Derwin James, Settle, Guice, and Hurst, would have been a haul. I still can't believe we passed on Hurst. I love your 2019 draft as well. Not sure how I feel about Rosen. I might have gone Haskins, Sweat, Nate Davis, Hakeem Butler, Blake Cashman, stick Kelvin Harmon in there somewhere and then go home without finishing the picks because it's already such a huge win. 

As much as I like watching the edge players for next year, I think there is almost no chance we go DL or edge. The 'Skins very reliably pick for need. We are going to draft WR, CB, OT, or TE. I very much agree that we need edge talent at WR and CB. I also agree that the WR talent in next year's draft looks special. I wish we could find a CB1 in FA and draft WR. 

All that being said, we have a lot of talent once our running backs are healthy in 2020. I love a bully on the OL and wouldn't at all mind grabbing Wirfs. 

Lastly, I'd be surprised if we went with an OLB in the 1st next year. I noticed you posted about Dylan Moses however and he ran  4.46 at Alabama's 2017 pro day, benched 400 and squatted 500 at 233 pounds. We need WR, CB and OT help more than MLB, but that is still awesome. 

https://usatodayhss.com/2017/wow-all-usa-linebacker-dylan-moses-ran-a-4-46-40-yard-dash-at-alabamas-spring-workouts

2 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

This team isn’t full of holes. The biggest needs will be WR and CB. They should trade down next year and maybe try and re-coup that second.

If we pick super high, that and there is a talented QB available, trading down for a big draft haul could be a real temptation. 

8 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I don't agree with every pick from your draft last year, but Derwin James, Settle, Guice, and Hurst, would have been a haul. I still can't believe we passed on Hurst. I love your 2019 draft as well. Not sure how I feel about Rosen. I might have gone Haskins, Sweat, Nate Davis, Hakeem Butler, Blake Cashman, stick Kelvin Harmon in there somewhere and then go home without finishing the picks because it's already such a huge win. 

As much as I like watching the edge players for next year, I think there is almost no chance we go DL or edge. The 'Skins very reliably pick for need. We are going to draft WR, CB, OT, or TE. I very much agree that we need edge talent at WR and CB. I also agree that the WR talent in next year's draft looks special. I wish we could find a CB1 in FA and draft WR. 

All that being said, we have a lot of talent once our running backs are healthy in 2020. I love a bully on the OL and wouldn't at all mind grabbing Wirfs. 

Lastly, I'd be surprised if we went with an OLB in the 1st next year. I noticed you posted about Dylan Moses however and he ran  4.46 at Alabama's 2017 pro day, benched 400 and squatted 500 at 233 pounds. We need WR, CB and OT help more than MLB, but that is still awesome. 

https://usatodayhss.com/2017/wow-all-usa-linebacker-dylan-moses-ran-a-4-46-40-yard-dash-at-alabamas-spring-workouts

With Rosen I get to keep my #2 in 2020 too, & I need my picks in 2020! 🤘

Malik Jefferson needs to show much more, Brown & Hill are good so far, then 7th rounder Harrison is a guy I wouldn’t mind seeing Washington pick up if he doesn’t stick in Clev.

I agree on Edge, we won’t go that direction, but it’s as good a class at Edge/QB & WR as I can recall. It was easier for teams to pass on Sweats health concerns & not trade up for a QB because of next years class. Hopefully a run on Edge & QBs will push a top tier WR to us at pick 32.

54 minutes ago, volsmet said:

With Rosen I get to keep my #2 in 2020 too, & I need my picks in 2020! 🤘

I agree on Edge, we won’t go that direction, but it’s as good a class at Edge/QB & WR as I can recall. It was easier for teams to pass on Sweats health concerns & not trade up for a QB because of next years class. Hopefully a run on Edge & QBs will push a top tier WR to us at pick 32.

I also wish we had that 2020 pick, but I think Sweat will be more than worth it. I'm hoping we are more active than nml in FA next year. I really do think we might be one year away from being good every year. 

I wouldn't write off edge, but maybe that is just me. I doubt the front office sees it the same way. Kerrigan is going to be 32 to start next season. If we are planning on building this team around the front 7, next offseason might be the time to add that guy. AJ Epenesa could look very good in that spot. 

I have watched the highlights, but can someone break down their personal thoughts on Jeudy vs Lamb vs Higgins vs Shenault, with regards to talent and to fit with our team? Is it silly that I'm already almost positive we will be picking a WR or OT in the 1st next year?

My last thought is that I don't think we are going to pick as high as the national media is thinking. Last year, before we lost all of our QB's and the entire OL and 2/3 of our best RB's and our best WR, I thought we were an 8-8 team last year that was playing over our head. Since then, we've swapped Landon Collins for Swearinger, Sweat for Preston Smith, and added Reuben Foster. Guice is coming back. We look deeper on the OL. We are much deeper at WR. Our QB situation is still likely middling. I think we are between a 7-9 and a 9-7 team and that if things break right from a health standpoint, and our defense is as good as projected, we could be better than that. The wheels would have to fall off again for us to pick top 5-8. 

13 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

This team isn’t full of holes. The biggest needs will be WR and CB. They should trade down next year and maybe try and re-coup that second.

We'll see this year what we have in Montae, but I'm betting FS will be a huge need as well.  Still pisses me off that we passed on Eddie Jackson in both the 2nd and 3rd round in 2017.  First team All-Pro at FS now.  Went a couple picks before we took Perine, then Montae later that round.  Such a stud:

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

We'll see this year what we have in Montae, but I'm betting FS will be a huge need as well.  Still pisses me off that we passed on Eddie Jackson in both the 2nd and 3rd round in 2017.  First team All-Pro at FS now.  Went a couple picks before we took Perine, then Montae later that round.  Such a stud:

Good thing we took Ryan Anderson in the second also. If you're going to reach, you better hit on the pick, or you look stupid. 

2 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Good thing we took Ryan Anderson in the second also. If you're going to reach, you better hit on the pick, or you look stupid. 

It's embarrassing.  I mean, if they were that obsessed with Alabama, Jackson fits the bill.

I think the three positions we're going to need to focus on are CB, TE and OT

Norman probably won't be back after this year and while I love the depth of our group (Stroman, Moreau, Dunbar, Moreland, Hosley), I don't think there's a true #1 "shutdown" in the group. Diggs would be a nice fit but I think he'll go higher than we're picking.

Reed is already listed as questionable for week 1 (haha) and considering his dead cap hit for 2020 is less than 2 million i would rather just cut bait and move on unless he's willing to restructure. Granted he's only signed until 2021 so it wouldn't be terrible to keep him around but Vernon will be gone and Sprinkle will never develop into anything more than a very capable #2. The kid from Missouri would be a perfect fit although Jacob Breeland may be sneaky value in the 3rd. 

Trent Williams is breaking down and Moses has regressed to the point where I don't trust him enough to start. Trey Adams if he has another solid season would be a nice find. 

Archived