Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

This thread got me looking at some 2020 mocks.

They mostly had the Skins picking between 2-11 and most had us picking LSU S Delpit (who is amazing) or one of the top OT's.

The first one I looked at had 2 rounds. It had 7 Bama players in the 1st round and 4 more in the first 15 of the 2nd round. That's 11 in the top 47, Are you freaking kidding me. How many players are they gong to have drafted? They have had at least 10 each of the last 3 years.

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

This thread got me looking at some 2020 mocks.

They mostly had the Skins picking between 2-11 and most had us picking LSU S Delpit (who is amazing) or one of the top OT's.

The first one I looked at had 2 rounds. It had 7 Bama players in the 1st round and 4 more in the first 15 of the 2nd round. That's 11 in the top 47, Are you freaking kidding me. How many players are they gong to have drafted? They have had at least 10 each of the last 3 years.

With half of their starters predicted to go in the top 47, I wonder if any will risk injury when the mighty mighty Vols come to Tuscaloosa. You hate to see these guys skip games, but at the end of the day it’s a business decision & the Vols business is whoopin A.

If we added Delpit to the middle of the field we’d be one of the most intimidating teams, between the hashes, in recent memory. 

Payne/Allen/Ion/Collins/Foster/Delpit don’t play games - if we had added Moses ... 

tenor.gif?itemid=5346855

5 minutes ago, volsmet said:

If we added Delpit to the middle of the field we’d be one of the most intimidating teams, between the hashes, in recent memory. 

Payne/Allen/Ion/Collins/Foster/Delpit don’t play games - if we had added Moses ... 

tenor.gif?itemid=5346855

You, SIP and the others posting all these vids makes me want to say forget the offense, lets build the greatest defense EVER with an all defensive draft next year!!!!    Start with Delpit!

2 hours ago, volsmet said:

The thread won’t be as entertaining without breaking down QB’s ... add to that, no 2nd round pick & the 2020 draft thread could struggle. This class of QBs was made for the ESperts.

Depending on how Haskins fairs out the FO could pull a Cardinals.

That is an actually a scary thought now that I think about it... :rofl89:

He's never started a game in college, but maybe there's room for a 6'7 DE

and maybe 2019 is finally his breakout season...at least that's what they are hoping.

https://247sports.com/college/usc/Article/USC-spring-football-2019-breakout-season-for-redshirt-junior-defensive-end-Connor-Murphy--130386476/

"Offensive coordinator Graham Harrell and his new offense opted for a pass play, the sophomore QB JT Daniels moving right for a quick strike. But just as quickly as the pass was released, the ball was sent violently backwards by redshirt junior defensive end Connor Murphy, who used every inch of his 6-foot-7 frame to deflect the attempt. "

Am I the only one that worries enough about Laviska Chenault's ypc not to draft him in the 1st? He averaged 11.8 ypc last year. That's not awesome. It makes me think he's just catching a million short balls and dump offs and isn't running a full route tree and isn't great tracking the deep ball. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/laviska-shenault-jr-1.html

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Am I the only one that worries enough about Laviska Chenault's ypc not to draft him in the 1st? He averaged 11.8 ypc last year. That's not awesome. It makes me think he's just catching a million short balls and dump offs and isn't running a full route tree and isn't great tracking the deep ball. 

That’s precisely the same as what Parris Campbell averaged this season — life in the slot. Stats aren’t entirely unlike Kendall Wright’s from an explosive Baylor offense, they’re better than Jarvis Landry’s were.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/college-shenault-top-wr-through-six-weeks

HE CATCHES EVERYTHING 

The most important quality in a wide receiver is the ability to catch the football and Shenault hauls in passes better than anybody. He has caught 52 of the 59 passes thrown his way for an 88.1% catch rate this season. Among the 187 wide receivers in the nation with at least 25 targets, Shenault Jr.’s catch rate tops them all. In fact, since PFF began tracking college football data in 2014, only one other wide receiver with at least 50 targets has ever had a catch rate above 88% (Ryan Davis in 2017, a 5-foot-9 slot receiving weapon from Auburn).

Shenault is a versatile weapon and operates out of the slot on 57.1% of his snaps. When lined up inside, Shenault’s catch rate skyrockets to an astonishing 96.2% (first). Since 2014, no slot receiver has even come close to a 90% catch rate, let alone ventured into the upper 90s.

Of the 69 passes thrown to Shenault Jr. in his brief career, none have been intercepted. However, Shenault Jr. dropped his first and only pass in Week 1 against Colorado State. He has been perfect in that regard since.

DYNAMIC AFTER THE CATCH

Shenault’s dynamic ability in the open field is unparalleled, where he has racked up 479 yards after the catch this season, most in the nation by nearly 100 yards. He has forced 19 missed tackles in the process, five more than any other receiver.

He is also wildly productive on a per route basis, averaging 4.54 yards per route run (third in the nation, trailing only Jerry Jeudy and Marquise Brown among 323 WRs with 20-plus targets).

SITUATIONAL METRICS

1806-Laviska-Shenault.jpg

– Passes thrown to Shenault have generated a 151.1 passer rating (tied for third in FBS, first in Pac-12) and 28 first downs (tied for seventh in FBS, first in PAC-12).

– When the defense brings extra pressure with a blitz, Shenault has caught 16-of-19 passes for 295 yards, five touchdowns and a perfect 158.3 passer rating (all tops in the Pac-12).

– On quick passes with a snap to attempt of less than 2.5 seconds, Shenault has caught 41-of-46 passes for 472 yards, five touchdowns and a 145.7 passer rating (second in Pac-12).

– When the Colorado offense needs to convert on third down, Shenault has caught 10-of-11 passes for 239 yards, two touchdowns, five first downs and a perfect 158.3 passer rating.

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

That’s precisely the same as what Parris Campbell averaged this season — life in the slot. Stats aren’t entirely unlike Kendall Wright’s from an explosive Baylor offense, they’re better than Jarvis Landry’s were.

is he an udfa?

Catches everything and mauler...well sign me up

Joey Magnifico! That is a great name, good kid and talent per what I've seen and read. A potential big jersey seller.

He doesn't look big but he is listed at 6' 4" 235. He is still learning and growing into the position so interested to watch him this year.

Right now they are saying he would fall between rounds 5-7.

6 hours ago, Stefanskins said:

is he an udfa?

I’m not entirely certain what you’re asking, my apologies fir that, so I’ll just reply with this, realizing you know most of it; Campbell was a 2nd round pick for the Colts — Wright was a first rounder in 2012 & Jarvis went in round 2.

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Catches everything and mauler...well sign me up

Joey Magnifico! That is a great name, good kid and talent per what I've seen and read. A potential big jersey seller.

He doesn't look big but he is listed at 6' 4" 235. He is still learning and growing into the position so interested to watch him this year.

Right now they are saying he would fall between rounds 5-7.

A zero star ilb recruit from Tennessee, you love to see kids like that find success.

3 hours ago, volsmet said:

I’m not entirely certain what you’re asking, my apologies fir that, so I’ll just reply with this, realizing you know most of it; Campbell was a 2nd round pick for the Colts — Wright was a first rounder in 2012 & Jarvis went in round 2.

A zero star ilb recruit from Tennessee, you love to see kids like that find success.

I was asking about Laviska Chenault...Ive never heard of him...is he someone we picked up as an undrafted free agent rookie?

/nevermind, I think we are talking about next years draft

2 minutes ago, Stefanskins said:

I was asking about Laviska Chenault...Ive never heard of him...is he someone we picked up as an undrafted free agent rookie?

/nevermind, I think we are talking about next years draft

Ah, my apologies. Yeah he’s a likely first rounder in 2020.

• NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt ranked Oregon senior T Calvin Throckmorton as the No. 1 senior offensive line prospect for 2020.

Throckmorton (6'6/318) has been healing up from a dislocated ankle suffered against Michigan State in the Red Box Bowl this offseason and did not participate in spring practice, but Ducks HC Mario Cristobal said several weeks back that the senior tackle was ahead of schedule in his rehab. The expectation, here, is that Throckmorton will be healthy and ready to roll come the start of August camp. While Brandt is keen on the senior's draft outlook, not all analysts are quite so hyped on him. Bleacher Report's Matt Miller ranks him as his No. 8 tackle prospect, while ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. does not rank him in his top-five senior tackles at this early juncture.

May 17, 2019, 2:06 PM ET

On 5/14/2019 at 9:36 PM, volsmet said:

Delpit would be a sick addition to the defense. Imagine taking our 2020 front 7, with a 2nd year Montez Sweat, and adding both Delpit and a CB1 if we can somehow add one in FA or via trade. I honestly think you are talking about a defense that would be talked about 10 years from now. Also, I hear you about CJ Mosley. I keep playing that game in my head too. What if we kept Swearinger, signed Mosley and had the rest of our defense. That would have been a ridiculous amount of talent. 

Regarding Laviska Shenault, I think Parris Campbell is a good comparison. Parris didn't go in the first, exactly because of the concerns I expressed about Laviska. All of that being said, He does look explosive. For a brief second, I thought that maybe Laviska's best comp would be Percy Harvin, but Harvin killed Laviska in number of rushes, YPC as a rusher, and YPC as a receiver. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/percy-harvin-1.html

Philosophically speaking, considering the need to build a competent offense around Haskins, where do you guys fall in terms of team building philosophy? There is some line of thinking that you shouldn't spend a ton of high draft capital on WR's, as they can be found later, and the QB to some degree makes the receivers. I'd take Jeudy in a second, and in general believe in BPA, but if there is a similarly ranked OT and WR this year, I might have to go OT. Haskins looked great in college when not pressured. I think if we invest more heavily in OL and TE, that we can spend less draft capital at WR and be better off for the decision. 

If we end up in the top 5 and don’t have our answer at guard by the draft, I’d want to trade down with a team that has a young guard we like & get a pick. With Haskins my priority is protecting him. I’d be aggressive getting NFL talent now that we have our QB on a rookie contract. If Haskins is protected, every other player on our team improves - the WRs have more time to get open, the D gets more rest - & hopefully faces more predictable offenses as we put points up - & the running game obviously gets better with the threat of a passing game. Protecting the young cheap QB is priority 1 right now, imo. Watson & Luck are both very athletic & each have almost been killed early in their careers, I’d be eager to learn from the mistakes those teams made.

The top end talent in the draft, Tua, Delpit, Jeudy, Chase, Herbert, Fromm... they’ll have teams eager to trade up. I’d love to have Chase, Delpit or Jeudy, but if I can get a guard we love, move down & get Diggs, and add another pick.. I’d probably take it. 

If we miss on the top guys & have no guard, I’m thinking about Wirfs if he continues to develop. Plug Wirfs in & I’d feel pretty good.

*Late night crypto trading & rambling.

giphy.gif

So last year at this time we thought the 2019 top 3 needs/focus would be Guard, DB and ILB correct?  This year for 2020 is what? WR, TE and  DB? (Or maybe OT).

Understand the WR class is supposed to be exceptionally strong what about the TEs and DBs? (OTs?)

8 hours ago, nonniey said:

So last year at this time we thought the 2019 top 3 needs/focus would be Guard, DB and ILB correct?  This year for 2020 is what? WR, TE and  DB? (Or maybe OT).

Understand the WR class is supposed to be exceptionally strong what about the TEs and DBs? (OTs?)

Right now it almost looks like what you stated for 2019, G, DB and ILB lol. They need to address TE, at least one DB, ILB, another WR and focus on OL.

With Oline the coming year will tell us whether T must be addressed and if G has been solidified or still an issue. 

There are a number of high rated T's and would probably make the most since although I have an official crush on Delpit. Another really interesting playeer for me is ILB Dylan Moses from bama.

They really need to trade back to make up for not having a second round pick.

8 hours ago, nonniey said:

We didn’t do much to address G, CB or Ilb. The CB class has 2-4 guys who are probably going to be graded higher than any of the 2019 CBs & at least 1 safety that would top the 2019 class. 

2020s top end is superior at:

QB 

Edge/DE

OL

CB

WR

S

An OL & a cb are at the top of my wish list at this point. 

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

We didn’t do much to address G, CB or Ilb. The CB class has 2-4 guys who are probably going to be graded higher than any of the 2019 CBs & at least 1 safety that would top the 2019 class. 

2020s top end is superior at:

QB 

Edge/DE

OL

CB

WR

S

An OL & a cb are at the top of my wish list at this point. 

I think ILB was addressed with Rueben Foster, they threw 2 picks at guard and are moving Fisher to the position so they addressed that with a mass approach so that is why I removed them from the top three needs at this point (which probably won't reflect reality come next year).

Archived