Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

One of the dudes I liked back during that draft.  Too bad Allen and Payne haven't at least yet really shown that they are A level D lineman.  Maybe B plus but neither one has shown to be special, yet.

So Jones got 4 years 85mil. Chiefs going all in. 

26 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

So Jones got 4 years 85mil. Chiefs going all in. 

He’s totally worth it. More worth it than whatever we will wind up paying Allen, probably. I was hoping he wouldn’t sign and maybe we’d consolidate talent and trade Allen an Ioannidis for him next year. Because...Madden. 

Now that Harmon is injured, drafting Mims sounds like an even more resent idea. 

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Is there more of a chance went use Gibson as a WR now?

I was thinking that at first, but they are different types of wide receivers. An injury to Sims might have opened things up for Gibson.

I think this means there's a greater opportunity for AGG. But I believe the biggest winner is Cody Latimer. 

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The vast majority of the heavy lifting for run blocking is handled by the OL.  A lot of TE blocking on the outside comes down to getting in the way to cut off backside pursuit from the backfield, or just creating a brief crease rather than planting a tough contain defender or driving him way off the ball.  Blocking is a much, much less valuable skill for TEs than receiving, as an elite receiver at the TE position opens up your offense way more.  That's why I thought Harrison Bryant was the best TE in that class.

Disagree, if the defense doesn't respect the TE's blocking, they'll shift their assignments.  Some defenses knew Jordan Reed couldn't block a LB worth a damn, so they shifted how the LB's read their keys and what they're primary responsibility was.  Instead of the LB trying to flow with the action while keeping an eye on the TE, they just had them aggressively pursue the run.

Gronk worked wonders in New England, because you could see a LB stepping with the movement of the OL but then glancing back towards Gronk.  Or see the DE try to keep a long arm towards Gronk instead of crashing the backside hard.

If obstructing was all TE's have to do, we'd have seen far fewer run plays blown up early against us, and then the replay showing Reed/Davis as the culprit.  I mean, Chris Cooley was not a dynamic receiving threat, but he could block, so defenses needed their personnel to account for him.

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah PFF liking him rings a bell.  I recall a bunch of us liked him, too. 

I know I loved him as a prospect, and I don't recall much if any opposition about that.  So I'd chalk that up as another 'W' for team ExtremeSkins amateur scouts.

P.S.  Are the old draft threads gone?

1 hour ago, duffy said:

I was thinking that at first, but they are different types of wide receivers. An injury to Sims might have opened things up for Gibson.

I think this means there's a greater opportunity for AGG. But I believe the biggest winner is Cody Latimer. 

As shifty as Gibson is, he seems like he could be more than just a slot receiver. I know he's not the tallest, but man he's a mountain of muscle. You look at Simms and he's like 5'10, 175 and Trey if we keep him is barely 200. They're more prototypical slot guys. I think Gibson could be a great Z receiver with the occasion jet sweep.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

As shifty as Gibson is, he seems like he could be more than just a slot receiver. I know he's not the tallest, but man he's a mountain of muscle. You look at Simms and he's like 5'10, 175 and Trey if we keep him is barely 200. They're more prototypical slot guys. I think Gibson could be a great Z receiver with the occasion jet sweep.

Whenever I think of Gibson at receiver, I think of Deebo. I can't recall where he plays the majority of the time, inside or outside. But honestly, as talented as Gibson appears to be, I would just find ways to get him on the field as much as possible.

1 minute ago, duffy said:

Whenever I think of Gibson at receiver, I think of Deebo. I can't recall where he plays the majority of the time, inside or outside. But honestly, as talented as Gibson appears to be, I would just find ways to get him on the field as much as possible.

I think he was all over the field, which is what I expect them to do with Gibson. It didn't make a lot of sense, at least to me, to use him primarily as a gadget RB. I'd rather have some semblance of a traditional offense as opposed to just gimmicks. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I think he was all over the field, which is what I expect them to do with Gibson. It didn't make a lot of sense, at least to me, to use him primarily as a gadget RB. I'd rather have some semblance of a traditional offense as opposed to just gimmicks. 

Yeah I would like to see him showing up all over the field. He looks like he's a matchup nightmare for a lot of different defensive players. 

3 minutes ago, duffy said:

Yeah I would like to see him showing up all over the field. He looks like he's a matchup nightmare for a lot of different defensive players. 

I was wondering what kind of personel Carolina ran under Ron and holy hell, behind CMC, their leading rusher was Kyle Allen at 32 attempts and then Samuel at 19. The next actual RB had a whopping 16 carries.

That's insane!

• 1 month later...
On 3/18/2020 at 2:03 AM, volsmet said:

If draft cost was not a factor, Cam would be there already — Belichick would love to run Cam into the ground for 2 years

15 rushes for Cam? Where does this guy get this info.

• Like 1