Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 minute ago, SkinsGuy said:

The Packers do need to look to the future, but Rodgers needed targets to throw to.

I don't think Rodgers will be upset they drafted what they hope is his heir apparent, but he probably will be unhappy that, so far, they haven't addressed one of their biggest needs.

He will be upset about not getting him weapons that’s for sure. 

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

@KDawg

I started to digest Logan Wilson some and like what I've seen so far.  Have you watched him or did anyone else here take a close look?  If so what's the general take? 

My own take is that he's athletic, economical, productive, smart, and has excellence in coverage.  Can play underneath zones like a safety and turn the ball over from that responsibility, and can excel in man coverage.  But I wasn't blown away by him due to a lack of playmaking sizzle in his game.  He doesn't dictate the tone of the game to the same degree as Davis-Gaither or Malik Harrison.

I think he's a good cog in the machine rather than a potential star like Davis-Gaither.  But if we picked him at 66, he's more than good enough to justify the selection, especially as a flow and hit linebacker playing behind our ridiculously good defensive line.  I think he's actually a safer bet than Kenneth Murray was and he's more versatile than Malik Harrison and more talented than Joe Bachie.  I just think some wide receivers and safeties are likely to be better options at 66.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

My own take is that he's athletic, economical, productive, smart, and has excellence in coverage.  Can play underneath zones like a safety and turn the ball over from that responsibility, and can excel in man coverage.  But I wasn't blown away by him due to a lack of playmaking sizzle in his game.  He doesn't dictate the tone of the game to the same degree as Davis-Gaither or Malik Harrison.

I think he's a good cog in the machine rather than a potential star like Davis-Gaither.  But if we picked him at 66, he's more than good enough to justify the selection, especially as a flow and hit linebacker playing behind our ridiculously good defensive line.  I think he's actually a safer bet than Kenneth Murray was and he's more versatile than Malik Harrison and more talented than Joe Bachie.  I just think some wide receivers and safeties are likely to be better options at 66.

I actually agree with every word here. I think he’s safer than Murray, too, just doesn’t have the same upside. 

Id take ADG over him all day every day. 

But he’s a very good ILB and would be an immediate upgrade to our situation.

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd love a TE in the 3rd. That's the money round for TEs.

Disagree. I think the 4th and later will be the money round.

Kmet is going to come off the board in the second. The only other TE that’s worth 66 is Trautman and he won’t be the BPA at 66. 

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I actually agree with every word here. I think he’s safer than Murray, too, just doesn’t have the same upside. 

Id take ADG over him all day every day. 

But he’s a very good ILB and would be an immediate upgrade to our situation. 

The only big reason I could see to take Wilson over Davis-Gaither is that ADG is a little on the small side.  He plays like he's Willie McGinest, but he's only 6'1 225.  That's not a dealbreaker, but it is a factor.

Thinking a little more about Wilson, he's a really clean prospect.  I can't really think of any serious weaknesses to his game and he brings a lot of strengths to the table.  The only real "complaint" I have is that he's not as much of a thumper as I prefer in a MLB.  That Wyoming defense looked surprisingly physical for being pretty small.  But I didn't get the sense that Wilson was the one setting the physical tone for them.

The more I consider it, the more I like the idea of drafting ADG or Wilson.  This is pretty much an ideal situation for either of them to walk into.  In the case of Wilson, we've got a Landon Collins and DaRon Payne and Jonathan Allen.  We don't necessarily need our Mike to be a bruiser.  But someone who can turn the ball over at that spot and be a highly productive play finisher... that could put our defensive front over the top.  They'd be awesome and the secondary wouldn't necessarily have to be that special for the defense to be elite, particularly since Wilson plays such a strong middle zone.

I wasn't before, but I'm sold on the idea of drafting LB at 66 if it's one of those two.

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I hope we see a big run on DL and RB before we come up next, along with Fromm and Hurts. Every single pick among those groups pushes someone desirable down to us imo.  

Me too, but I suspect that the only RBs who will get picked in the second are Taylor and Swift.  Could be a big bunch of DLs coming off the board though, as they don't usually fall too far on draft day.  Okwara, Zuniga, Greenard, Gross Matos, Epenesa, Elliot, Madubuike, Blalock, Davidson, Weaver, and Baun might all get picked in the second.  They're worthy of that range, so hopefully they do, as a big DL run is probably our only shot at getting that high level corner or OT to drop to 66.

On TDN just got:

66. Niang

108. Trautman

142. Tyler Johnson

We call that the "fixing the offense" stack and hope Kyle can find some late round defensive gems I guess...

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Me too, but I suspect that the only RBs who will get picked in the second are Taylor and Swift.  Could be a big bunch of DLs coming off the board though, as they don't usually fall too far on draft day.  Okwara, Zuniga, Greenard, Gross Matos, Epenesa, Elliot, Madubuike, Blalock, Davidson, Weaver, and Baun might all get picked in the second.  They're worthy of that range, so hopefully they do, as a big DL run is probably our only shot at getting that high level corner or OT to drop to 66.

I think you're probably right on that one, but I hope some team falls in love with the "potential" of Akers. Moss doesn't have the athletic profile of a pick this high but he seems like the type of "football guy" that someone might unexpectedly love and reach on...probably not in the 2nd though.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Disagree. I think he can play inside and outside. And he’s physical and nasty. But I take Winfield, McKinney, Chinn over him all day. 

I'd be ecstatic if Winfield was at 66. Then somehow Logan Wilson in the 4rth. Throw the rest at DBs and OL and hope something sticks.

18 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The only big reason I could see to take Wilson over Davis-Gaither is that ADG is a little on the small side.  He plays like he's Willie McGinest, but he's only 6'1 225.  That's not a dealbreaker, but it is a factor.

Thinking a little more about Wilson, he's a really clean prospect.  I can't really think of any serious weaknesses to his game and he brings a lot of strengths to the table.  The only real "complaint" I have is that he's not as much of a thumper as I prefer in a MLB.  That Wyoming defense looked surprisingly physical for being pretty small.  But I didn't get the sense that Wilson was the one setting the physical tone for them.

The more I consider it, the more I like the idea of drafting ADG or Wilson.  This is pretty much an ideal situation for either of them to walk into.  In the case of Wilson, we've got a Landon Collins and DaRon Payne and Jonathan Allen.  We don't necessarily need our Mike to be a bruiser.  But someone who can turn the ball over at that spot and be a highly productive play finisher... that could put our defensive front over the top.  They'd be awesome and the secondary wouldn't necessarily have to be that special for the defense to be elite, particularly since Wilson plays such a strong middle zone.

I wasn't before, but I'm sold on the idea of drafting LB at 66 if it's one of those two.

Glad to see you come around on that. I think either one would be a significant boon to our D. Logan Wilson isn't the thumper I love, either. But he does everything else. 

That's partially why I may opt for Davis-Gaither, besides the fact I like him overall a bit more than Logan (though Logan isn't far behind). I think you can get a guy like Shaq Quarterman, who I am VERY high on, in the 5th to shore up the 2-down MLB spot. Granted, Wilson can play all three downs. But ADG + Davis or Foster or SDH or Holcomb could work in nickel sets.

Still, I have SOME pause with Dantzler vs. them. I know - the 40. But his film is clean against top receiving prospects. He could be a guy that tests like dog **** and make it. There isn't a precedence there, but I think Dantzler is going to be a problem in the NFL. Diggs won't be there. There's no way. But he's a definitive yes over both of those LBs. I could see an argument for Cleveland or Niang at 66 over the LBs, too. But I don't think either is there. 

Winfield & McKinney I'd take over ADG and Wilson... maybe Chinn or Dugger.

So I'd say my wish list right now is, probably in order:

Xavier McKinney

Trevon Diggs

Josh Jones

Antoine Winfield

Cameron Dantzler

Akeem Davis-Gaither

Lucas Niang

Logan Wilson

Jeremy Chinn

Kyle Dugger

Would think long and hard about ADG over Dantzler I think.

6 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Any logic trading up for Josh Jones?

Normally, I'd say yes. But with draft picks being very important, especially going into 2021 where Rivera has had a full year in DC, I wouldn't give up any picks to move forward when we're already short a 2 that could change this team's trajectory on its own. 

8 minutes ago, Chump Bailey said:

Probably be costly to do.  He'd fix our left tackle problem IMO, but I don't love the idea of giving up our second next year to do it.

If we can get some more ammo as part of a Trent trade, that'd be the way to do it IMO.  If not, then I would try and wait until he fell far enough that our third rounder and like a fifth could get us into position to draft him.

Ledyard's 2nd round mock

https://www.pewterreport.com/ledyards-2nd-round-nfl-mock-draft/

33. Cincinnati Bengals: Ezra Cleveland, OT, Boise State

Bengals get their future tackles in place for Joe Burrow: Jonah Williams and now Ezra Cleveland.

34. Indianapolis Colts: Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor

Colts need more weapons in the passing game, and Philip Rivers has always thrived with bigger targets down the field.

35. Detroit Lions: Yetur Gross-Matos, EDGE, Penn State

At some point the Lions have to address the lack of pass rush off the edge. Gross-Matos is a boom-or-bust prospect, but he fits what Matt Patricia is looking for at the position.

36. New York Giants: Zack Baun, EDGE/LB, Wisconsin

Baun can drop and cover or rush off the edge situationally. Both abilities would help the Giants tremendously.

37. New England Patriots: Xavier McKinney, S, Alabama

Patrick Chung and Devin McCourty are aging, and Duron Harmon is off to Detroit. McKinney will be the next quarterback of the Patriots secondary.

38. Carolina Panthers: Robert Hunt, IOL, Louisiana-Lafayette

Carolina finds their Trai Turner replacement with the second interior offensive lineman off the board in the mauling Hunt.

39. Miami Dolphins: D’Andre Swift, RB, Georgia

Many reported that Miami had drafted Swift at No. 26 before it was announced they were trading back with Green Bay in the first round. I bet they get him anyway. J.K. Dobbins wouldn’t surprise me either.

40. Houston Texans: Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma

Gallimore is athletic and raw, but he’ll be able to step into a rotation that seeks to replace some of D.J. Reader’s impact in the trenches.

41. Cleveland Browns: Grant Delpit, S, LSU

Cleveland needs a single-high free safety, and I would guess that Delpit will be the first one drafted Friday night. He has to improve as a tackler and in man coverage, but the ball skills and range are there as a deep safety.

42. Jacksonville Jaguars: Trevon Diggs, CB, Alabama

Another corner for Jacksonville? They’d like to keep D.J. Hayden in the slot, and they don’t have any quality outside options on the roster with the exception of newly-drafted C.J. Henderson. Diggs is a scheme fit as well.

43. Chicago Bears: K.J. Hamler, WR, Penn State

The Bears get their Taylor Gabriel replacement and the speed element they desperately need in their offense.

44. Indianapolis Colts: Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah

Johnson has fallen further than expected, and Indy capitalizes in order to pair he and Rock-Ya Sin together with Kenny Moore in a solid cornerback trio.

45. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Marlon Davidson, DT, Auburn

This is a direction we haven’t really entertained the Bucs going in the second round, and maybe that’s my fault. Odds may be that they still go offense, but there is no depth on the defensive line, and Davidson provides pass rush upside and versatility that would be a great fit for Todd Bowles’ defense.

46. Denver Broncos: Josh Jones, OT, Houston

The Broncos still aren’t sold on Garrett Bolles, and the added value of getting a top 30 player at No. 46 will have them turning in the card fast.

47. Atlanta Falcons: Ross Blacklock, DT, TCU

Atlanta has needed help inside for Grady Jarrett for a long time, and Blacklock’s explosiveness and versatility fit their scheme perfectly.

48. New York Jets: Kristian Fulton, CB, LSU

The Jets need cornerback help in the worst way, and Fulton is the best one left on the board.

49. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jonathan Taylor, RB, Wisconsin

I wouldn’t like this pick at all, but the Steelers and I haven’t seen eye-to-eye a ton when it comes to the draft, and the team has certainly done their due diligence on running backs this offseason.

50. Chicago Bears: Jeremy Chinn, S, Southern Illinois

Chinn lasting this long is a minor surprise, and Chicago capitalizes by finding a running mate for Eddie Jackson in their secondary.

51. Dallas Cowboys: Julian Okwara, EDGE, Notre Dame

The Cowboys really need pass rush help, and Okwara feels like the type of raw, but talented player they will target on day two.

52. Los Angeles Rams: Willie Gay, LB, Mississippi State

The Rams get their Cory Littleton replacement with one of the better coverage linebackers in the draft.

53. Philadelphia Eagles: Logan Wilson, LB, Wyoming

I know Philadelphia hasn’t valued linebacker like other organizations, but Jatavis Brown, T.J. Edwards and Nate Gerry? Come on, fellas. Time to change that.

54. Buffalo Bills: Kyle Dugger, S, Lenoir-Rhyne

Buffalo’s roster doesn’t need anything, so they get a luxury pick in the versatile, violent and highly athletic Dugger.

55. Baltimore Ravens: Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado

The Ravens haven’t had much success with raw wide receivers, but this is a different era and they will allow Shenault to do what he does best: make plays with the ball in his hands.

56. Miami Dolphins: Ashtyn Davis, S, California

Miami really needs free safety help, and Davis’ defensive backs coach at Cal, Gerald Alexander, is now on the Dolphins staff. It’s a perfect match on and off the field.

57. Los Angeles Rams: Josh Uche, EDGE, Michigan

The Rams can use Uche off the ball as needed too, but they really need pass rush help off the edge, and his flashes last year suggest a player who would help their defense in a versatile role.

58. Minnesota Vikings: Antoine Winfield, S, Minnesota

This would be fun, huh? Winfield playing for the team his dad had an unbelievable career with. The Vikings addressed their two biggest needs in the first round, and there is uncertainty regarding Anthony Harris’ future with the team, so this pick makes sense.

59. Seattle Seahawks: Darrell Taylor, EDGE, Tennessee

Seattle is bound to do something crazy, so why not reach for an edge defender many don’t expect to come off the board for another 30-40 picks? Taylor is a fit and he is one of the more promising athletes at edge defender in this class.

60. Baltimore Ravens: A.J. Epenesa, EDGE, Iowa

It’s been a big slide for Epenesa, but the Ravens appreciate the tape enough to nab him here, where he’ll play in a rotational role next season.

61. Tennessee Titans: Terrell Burgess, NCB, Utah

Tennessee gets their Logan Ryan replacement in one of my favorite players in the class.

62. Green Bay Packers: Michael Pittman, WR, USC

Pittman could get nabbed earlier, and he’s not as clear a fit to me in Green Bay as some other guys, but he can win at all three levels of the field and play inside or out. They need to get Aaron Rodgers some help.

63. Kansas City Chiefs: Cameron Dantzler, CB, Mississippi State

For a lot of teams in the NFL, Dantzler’s short arms and slow 40 probably took him off their board until day three, but the Chiefs have started a collection of misfit toys at cornerback and won a Super Bowl with them. I’m not saying it’s a good process, but Dantzler’s tape is really solid, and I think someone will shock us and roll the dice on him.

64. Seattle Seahawks: Matt Peart, OT, UCONN

Seattle reaching for an athletic, but raw offensive lineman is a mock drafting rite of passage. Peart will be groomed to take over on the right side in the near future.

Just did a mock on TDN...

33. Cincy - Yetur Gross Matos

34. Indy - Denzel Mims

35. Detroit - Neville Gallimore

36. Giants - McKinney (ugh)

37. Patriots - KJ Hamler (I think this is where Kmet goes)

38. Panthers - Jaylon Johnson (ugh... he'd fit well in DC, but I honestly don't think he or McKinney will be there at 66)

39. Dolphins - Grant Delpit

40. Texans - AJ Epenesa

41. Browns - Winfield, Jr (ugh)

42. Jags - Marlon Davidson

43. Bears - Kristian Fulton

44. Indy - Jalen Hurts

45. TB - Lloyd Cushenberry

46. Broncos - Trevon Diggs (damn you)

47. Falcons - D'Andre Swift

48. Jets - Jonah Jackson

49. Steelers - Ross Blacklock

50. Bears - Matt Hennessy

51. Cowboys - Zack Baun

52. Rams - Terrell Lewis

53. Eagles - Ashtyn Davis

54. Bills - Josh Uche

55. Ravens - Michael Pittman

56. Dolphins - JK Dobbins

57. Rams - Cam Dantzler (son of a)

58. Vikings - Madubuike

59. Seahawks - Josh Jones (damnit)

60. Ravens - Raekwon Daivs

61. Titans - Davon Hamilton

62. Packers - Laviska Shenault

63. Chiefs - Willie Gay

64. Seahawks - Curtis Weaver

Round 3:

65. Bengals - Malik Harrison

That left these guys available:

Jonathan Taylor

Ezra Cleveland

Jeremy Chinn

Kyle Dugger

Tee Higgins

Lucas Niang

Cole Kmet (He won't be there imo)

Antonio Gibson

Adam Trautman

Robert Hunt

Bryce Hall

Prince

Peart

Greenard

Zuniga

Holmes

Darrell Taylor

ADG

Charles

Kvon Wallace

Amik

Logan Wilson

In this scenario I go with Ezra, even though I don't like him as much as other guys available.

By the time our choice in the 4th came up I was left with:

Jonathan Taylor

Cam Akers

Antonio Gibson

KVon Wallace

I'd probably go Gibson there. 

Asiasi/Albert O off the board for our second 4th, but Darrynton Evans and McFarland are there. As is Duvernay, Tyler Johnson, Cheyenne O'Grady, AJ Dillon, Adeniji. Go McFarland or O'Grady there, I guess. 

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Still, I have SOME pause with Dantzler vs. them. I know - the 40. But his film is clean against top receiving prospects. He could be a guy that tests like dog **** and make it. There isn't a precedence there, but I think Dantzler is going to be a problem in the NFL. Diggs won't be there. There's no way. But he's a definitive yes over both of those LBs. I could see an argument for Cleveland or Niang at 66 over the LBs, too. But I don't think either is there.  

I get this feeling that Dantzler might fall.  Let's say that Jeremiah is right that a big WR and RB run is coming in round two, bleeding over into round three.  After that (or along with it), a huge DL run is coming because almost none were taken in the first and there is major supply of day two talent at the position group.  Then factor in safety and guard, which haven't been touched yet either.  There are six rock solid day two prospects at safety and about as many at guard and center.  Then figure that a couple of tight ends are bound to come off the board too...

Fulton and Diggs are getting drafted day two plus the six safeties.  Fifteen or so defensive linemen.  Three to four runningbacks and three more quarterbacks.  Maybe twelve to fifteen receivers and tight ends.  About ten offensive linemen.  That's about two full rounds of day two talent excluding reaches.  I think there is a real chance that the fourth round is a sweet spot for cornerback too, and that's the round where Dantzler, Jaylon Johnson, Amik Robertson, Bryce Hall, and Javaris Davis all get picked.

34 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Just did a mock on TDN...

33. Cincy - Yetur Gross Matos

34. Indy - Denzel Mims

35. Detroit - Neville Gallimore

36. Giants - McKinney (ugh)

37. Patriots - KJ Hamler (I think this is where Kmet goes)

38. Panthers - Jaylon Johnson (ugh... he'd fit well in DC, but I honestly don't think he or McKinney will be there at 66)

39. Dolphins - Grant Delpit

40. Texans - AJ Epenesa

41. Browns - Winfield, Jr (ugh)

42. Jags - Marlon Davidson

43. Bears - Kristian Fulton

44. Indy - Jalen Hurts

45. TB - Lloyd Cushenberry

46. Broncos - Trevon Diggs (damn you)

47. Falcons - D'Andre Swift

48. Jets - Jonah Jackson

49. Steelers - Ross Blacklock

50. Bears - Matt Hennessy

51. Cowboys - Zack Baun

52. Rams - Terrell Lewis

53. Eagles - Ashtyn Davis

54. Bills - Josh Uche

55. Ravens - Michael Pittman

56. Dolphins - JK Dobbins

57. Rams - Cam Dantzler (son of a)

58. Vikings - Madubuike

59. Seahawks - Josh Jones (damnit)

60. Ravens - Raekwon Daivs

61. Titans - Davon Hamilton

62. Packers - Laviska Shenault

63. Chiefs - Willie Gay

64. Seahawks - Curtis Weaver

Round 3:

65. Bengals - Malik Harrison

That left these guys available:

Jonathan Taylor

Ezra Cleveland

Jeremy Chinn

Kyle Dugger

Tee Higgins

Lucas Niang

Cole Kmet (He won't be there imo)

Antonio Gibson

Adam Trautman

Robert Hunt

Bryce Hall

Prince

Peart

Greenard

Zuniga

Holmes

Darrell Taylor

ADG

Charles

Kvon Wallace

Amik

Logan Wilson

In this scenario I go with Ezra, even though I don't like him as much as other guys available.

By the time our choice in the 4th came up I was left with:

Jonathan Taylor

Cam Akers

Antonio Gibson

KVon Wallace

I'd probably go Gibson there. 

Asiasi/Albert O off the board for our second 4th, but Darrynton Evans and McFarland are there. As is Duvernay, Tyler Johnson, Cheyenne O'Grady, AJ Dillon, Adeniji. Go McFarland or O'Grady there, I guess. 

I want to trade back in the beginning of Rounds 3 and 4 but if Cleveland is there at #66, I'd take him in a heartbeat.  I didn't add him to my wish list thinking he'd be gone and still could be but if he were there, I'd turn the card in immediately. :)  If he's gone, I'd trade down.  Kyle Smith is going to hit some homeruns like he has in the past couple of drafts.  :) 

1 hour ago, Chump Bailey said:

Well yes it would be logical, but the question is would we want to pay that price. Figure we're going to be pretty bad this year if Jones falls to us fine take him but I'd target Sewell next year as plan A.

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

I hate that Dallas ended up with Lamb. Absolutely hate it.

Better them than the Eagles. 

9 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Picturing DK Metcalf plus a 2nd this year over Sweat probably isn't fair. There is no reason to think we would have drafted Metcalf. 

I don't know if I trust Sweat to develop. He had 7 sacks, and that's not awful, but he wasn't regularly winning/applying pressure. He's stiff and doesn't have a lot of pass rush moves. A lot of us I think saw Danielle Hunter as a comp for Sweat. I think that actually, Jadaveon Clowney may be a better comp. Super explosive in line athlete. Stiff. Not a million pass rush moves. Very long. Should be good against the run. Will make some impact against the pass, but won't be super productive in terms of sacks. Their combine measurements are remarkably comparable. Jadaveon Clowney, without the injury history, would be a great thing to have across from Chase Young. 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/montez-sweat?id=32195357-4503-4375-fdbc-389a73a5ddc5

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jadeveon-clowney?id=2543456

If you think about the contract Clowney commands these days, and his impact, two 2nds is a pittance to pay. 

I will take 8-10 sacks by Sweat while he stops the run and 13-15 sacks by a Young to go with the boys in the middle all day everyday. 

Sometimes you have to think through what you write. 

Archived