Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

4 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Gibson is a great fit, as you’ve mentioned. The Bartch arms are a concern, but I’d never pass on a football player like him in the 4th. I love that youngster.

Peart I need to see more of Charles is supposed to be a lunatic. Your boy Wilson is one of the cooler guys in the OL class, I love that guy, as a biped.

Wilson seems to be mocked so much now in the late first (if that's driven by rumors?) I think no shot he lands in the third.   One of the other guys I like however Niang seems to fall in some mocks to the third for whatever that's worth.  Yeah Charles being suspended for something every year is a major red flag.

I have to rewatch Peart, I recall only watching one game and not loving him but don't recall why.  But man he has the size, massive arms, wingspan. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wilson seems to be mocked so much now in the late first (if that's driven by rumors?) I think no shot he lands in the third.   One of the other guys I like however Niang seems to fall in some mocks to the third for whatever that's worth.  Yeah Charles being suspended for something every year is a major red flag.

I have to rewatch Peart, I recall only watching one game and not loving him but don't recall why.  But man he has the size, massive arms, wingspan. 

One thing to consider is, that while anyone who attempts a mock thinks they have some semblance of a clue, we don’t. Even the guys that are plugged in. Smoke screens and deception are prevalent and guys move up and down boards like water down a water fall.

When I say anyone who attempts a mock thinks they have a clue, I also include NFL teams, who make bad decisions aplenty in the NFL Draft. 

We could see some, to our eyes, real head scratchers. And guys thought to go in the top of the draft fall to the third.

I don’t think Wilson makes it beyond the mid 2nd, but I don’t think he is a first rounder unless a team that is desperate reaches.

Im really excited to see how this plays.

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Happy Draft Day, guys. We’ve spent a long offseason refining ourselves and adding a lot of quality content as an entire thread group. It’s been a blast! A few more days and the 2021 Draft Thread begins anew.

What a thread it’s been. 

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I watched Niang v OSU and gleaned two things,

jack

&

🤫

Too much quick action, too much designed to help the OL that won’t be replicated in the nfl, & I never got around to watching him again. OL is my favorite group, so I’ll try to catch him today given how much you & Akeem Dawgy Dawg like him.

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

One thing to consider is, that while anyone who attempts a mock thinks they have some semblance of a clue, we don’t. Even the guys that are plugged in. Smoke screens and deception are prevalent and guys move up and down boards like water down a water fall.

When I say anyone who attempts a mock thinks they have a clue, I also include NFL teams, who make bad decisions aplenty in the NFL Draft. 

We could see some, to our eyes, real head scratchers. And guys thought to go in the top of the draft fall to the third.

I don’t think Wilson makes it beyond the mid 2nd, but I don’t think he is a first rounder unless a team that is desperate reaches.

I think Wilson goes before Jones, I think he’s gone tonight. 

This is a great thread. I’m very much a fly by participant but some of the content in here from the core posters is fantastic. 

Seems like if the Trent trade goes down, we could have a solid batch of mid rounders. Who in that range have we been linked with, even via pure rumor.

WR KJ Hill

OL Cameron Clark

OL Alex Taylor

LB Joe Bachie

who else?

11 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I watched Niang v OSU and gleaned two things,

jack

&

🤫

Too much quick action, too much designed to help the OL that won’t be replicated in the nfl, & I never got around to watching him again. OL is my favorite group, so I’ll try to catch him today given how much you & Akeem Dawgy Dawg like him.

I think Wilson goes before Jones, I think he’s gone tonight. 

The hard thing for me is I probably watched almost 100 players (a record for me) so over time its hard for me to recall specifics about them all.  I know I watched more than one game for Niang and my impression was he anchors well as to pass protection and has good length.  He struck me a natural LT even though he played RT.   

Damn, I didn't know about these two specific injury histories either:

"Tee Higgins: A right ankle injury that required surgery last spring has left Higgins with a decreased range of motion. But he has been playing on it for some time and remained productive, posting career highs with 1,167 yards and 13 touchdowns on 59 catches as a junior last fall. Long-term concerns could factor into the equation for NFL teams, though it seems unlikely to have a major impact on Higgins' draft status."

"Javon Kinlaw: Lower-body injuries are always concerning with big men such as Kinlaw (6-foot-5 1/8, 324 pounds), a first-team Associated Press All-American in 2019 who previously had a labrum repaired in one of his hips, as well as a past back injury and two knees that multiple teams have flagged as at risk of arthritis. "Wear and tear" is the term most used following Kinlaw's combine MRIs; no team is known to have failed him on a physical. Several teams -- including a few picking high -- say they have no issue with Kinlaw's medical, making it unlikely a top-20 talent falls out of the first round."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001110281/article/2020-nfl-draft-will-injury-issues-impact-five-notable-prospects

I bet that ankle is driving the talk that Higgins will fall.  Also I had no idea that Kinlaw has bad knees and back and hip injuries in his history.  That's a lot of worrisome sounding stuff.

Jaylon Johnson's shoulder issues also sound fairly severe.  He tore his labrum in September and had previous issues on his other shoulder as a freshman.  Apparently he's had repeated dislocations and the surgery he got in March was to stabilize the shoulder to try and prevent them.  I think he's going to fall several rounds and maybe end up in the late third or fourth.  Kind of wishing I hadn't voted for him to be my CB sleeper now, but I'd definitely still pull the trigger on him if he's there when we draft in the fourth.

Wow, @stevemcqueen1. Those are game hanging injuries. Johnson, Kinlaw, Higgins are all guys that are overall likes around here and they’re going to likely slide down Draft boards a little due to these injuries.

I think Kinlaw’s film is top 12 or so. But that injury report means he falls at least 5-10 spots due to teams being conservative.

Crazy.

I wasn’t as high on Johnson as a lot of people were, but still, he’s one of the higher tier CB candidates. Those injuries may be most crushing to him. Those are rough, man.

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

As a guy who reads just about every mock I can find, I am well aware.  But some of them at least try to have their mocks based on sources they have in the league and when I start to see common threads as the draft gets closer and those common themes make sense to me, I tend to be inclined to believe there is some fire to the smoke. 

Seeing Cleveland and Wilson right now in the late first so much -- gives me the impression they aren't falling to the third.  But I agree anything is possible.  O line tends to go early so risers on O line tend to hit me typically as believable.

24 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I love the first two.  I want to love Bartch but am having a hard time doing it but I am with that thought, I'd love a LT. 

As for LT fallers, I'd like S. Charles if they are satisfied with his character. I don't love Peart but he has the size-length for LT.  Bartch has short arms-small hands.  

As for WR-TE, in the 4th: Gibson (wouldn't shock me if he went earlier though), Bowden, Tyler Johnson, Asiasi at TE.  😀

3 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

This is a great thread. I’m very much a fly by participant but some of the content in here from the core posters is fantastic. 

I feel like I wrote both of these lol.

I would love volsmets first two picks and would not mind his third. Feel like we need to address OL, DB TE and WR by the 4th plus would love a LB

SIPs Gibson, Johnson and Asiasi are my 4th round crushes

I am that fly by like UK mentions.  You guys have killed it this year!!!

And continue to as Steve is throwing these health issues out in the final hours.

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Wow, @stevemcqueen1. Those are game hanging injuries. Johnson, Kinlaw, Higgins are all guys that are overall likes around here and they’re going to likely slide down Draft boards a little due to these injuries.

I think Kinlaw’s film is top 12 or so. But that injury report means he falls at least 5-10 spots due to teams being conservative.

Crazy.

I wasn’t as high on Johnson as a lot of people were, but still, he’s one of the higher tier CB candidates. Those injuries may be most crushing to him. Those are rough, man.

Yeah that is really distressing to hear about with Johnson.  I like that guy a lot, and I'm impressed that he played so well with a torn labrum.  I also regret criticizing him for not playing in his bowl game, I had no idea he was hurt.  I think he's going to fall pretty far, and it wouldn't shock me if he ends up going on day three.  In that range the reward is well worth the risk though.

Higgins still looked shifty despite the loss of flexibility in his ankle.  If he drops, I think he'll still be fine.  But Kinlaw's injuries are concerning.  I would want to know the nature of his back injury, that is potentially a dealbreaker for a lineman.  As a football fan, it would be sad if injuries kept him from panning out.  He has a John Henderson-like ceiling and the God-given natural ability to be an All Pro.  He'd be fun to watch at the next level.

12 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

MY TE's rankings.  

Late 2nd-mid 3rd

1.  Adam Trautman (I am big fan of his style, plays with an edge, good blocker, good hands, not really dynamic though or polished yet if he were he'd go higher in the draft)

2.  Cole Kmet  (beast in terms of his size, 260 +, I think he's inconsistent as a blocker but will develop and end up good on that front, can separate, good hands but not dynamic)

4th round

3.  Davin Asiasi (I am higher on him than most, good blocker, good size, good pass catcher, maybe the most well rounded with the highest floor among this group)

Late 4th-early 5th

4. Brycen Hopkins (am higher on him than most, my favorite TE in terms of posing a threat up the middle of the field, separates well, hands are inconsistent, willing but below average blocker) 

5. Harrison Bryant (I like him, similar strengths and weaknesses with Hopkins.  Can separate.  YAC.  Doesn't have the size IMO to be that much of a blocker) 

6.  Albert O  (I've changed my mind about him more than any other TE, boom-bust, great athlete but doesn't always play that way, decent blocker, lack of production, underachiever?)

7.  Hunter Bryant (most draft geeks have him rated higher, I like him as a pass catcher, separates, undersized, weak blocker, bombed the combine by ballooning up to 250 pounds)

Mid to late 5th round

8.  Josiah Deguara (he's one of my favorite later round players, reminds me a little of Cooley, decent at everything not great at anything, good blocker for his size, good combine)

9.  Colby Parkinson (solid, decent at everything but not great at anything, I can see him as a decent #2 TE with some teams but he's not a #1)

This is great SIP, thanks so much for our efforts.

I am expecting one or two of your 4th-5th rounders to be gone by mid 3rd....but to me you have the eval'd correctly.

If they can't grab a TE until the 5th, Deguara I really like and Parkinson would hold up. Keene is nice as a 6-7.

Asiasi is my guy but I could see them liking one of the Bryants in the 4th

I’m completely with SIP. I think our sweet spot is round 4-5 at tight end. And Asiasi has a real good chance to be available in the 4th and a decent one of being available in the fifth.

Id be ecstatic if we were able to snag him

in the 5th. Talk about value...!

Another injury I somehow missed: Jeff Gladney had surgery on his meniscus March 12.  He tore his ACL and LCL as a Senior in High School too.  He obviously recovered from that first injury, but you don't love seeing multiple knee issues in a guy's history.

Everyone gets hurt playing this game, so you can't write off everyone with medical red flags.  It can be eye opening to see what these guys have played through and rehabbed, and there is no doubt in my mind that health is the number one culprit behind disappointing NFL careers.  But it also clearly defines the risk of trading down from a prospect like Chase Young, who is both an elite player and (presumably) healthy.

Gladney sounds like a fantastic interview by the way.  He sounds very smart and focused.  I think some team is going to get a gem with him.

11 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Gladney sounds like a fantastic interview by the way.  He sounds very smart and focused.  I think some team is going to get a gem with him.

Steve is high on Gladney? The big 12 corner Gladney? 

569F8565-C220-4E5D-B3BF-0FC609F6B6C1.gif

I've been anti-trade down from the beginning, but was just watching NFL Network and they were offering up trade ideas for #2 on their mock draft (complete with pretending the Redskins were actually taking calls).

One idea they offered did make me reconsider:  Jacksonville offer of Ngakoue, #9, and #20.

I'd have to think long and hard about that one.

12 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Steve is high on Gladney? The big 12 corner Gladney? 

It goes against my principles, but I like the young man.  I'm going to pretend TCU is still in the Southwest Conference for the purposes of this draft.

7 minutes ago, volsmet said:

This is what's going to force Miami to trade up to #3 for Tua.

6 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

I've been anti-trade down from the beginning, but was just watching NFL Network and they were offering up trade ideas for #2 on their mock draft (complete with pretending the Redskins were actually taking calls).

One idea they offered did make me reconsider:  Jacksonville offer of Ngakoue, #9, and #20.

I'd have to think long and hard about that one.

Yannick, Lamb & *Terrell/Jones v Young

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It goes against my principles, but I like the young man.  I'm going to pretend TCU is still in the Southwest Conference for the purposes of this draft.

This is what's going to force Miami to trade up to #3 for Tua.

Yeah I just recall you weren’t too high on him a couple months back. I haven’t seen a lot of him, but some football people I trust seem very high on his approach to the game, on & off the field. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Happy Draft Day, guys. We’ve spent a long offseason refining ourselves and adding a lot of quality content as an entire thread group. It’s been a blast! A few more days and the 2021 Draft Thread begins anew.

And very educational! Appreciate all the time and effort put in. I feel I'm more informed beyond the 2nd round than ever before.

Gif Created Via Gifntext.com GIF | Gfycat

17 minutes ago, volsmet said:

talk was Jax might even make a play for Andy Dalton. Not that I think that is a great move, but with Yan publicly at war with the organisations, them even jumping to #2 for Young could have been a consideration.

As stated, #9 #20 a second or third rounder and Yan. 

Quite a haul that IMO.

Archived